Forum Jump: 

post #2791 of 9688 Old 01-04-2011, 08:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 92
^^^

as the second run likely produced a "louder" sound (since you are getting "less trim"), it isn't surprising that you liked it "better", as humans tend to perceive "louder" as "better"...

the concern is accuracy... the user ALWAYS has control over whether or not they damage their speakers, that's a function of how far they turn the volume knob...

i would also turn my sub gain down and re-run...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2792 of 9688 Old 01-04-2011, 08:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey9hound View Post

Yes, You are THE Technical support it seems for this thread! Doing a fine job, i might add! Keep up the good work .

thanks, i try... i can't help it, i'm a geek...

can't take all the credit though, mz and a few others have done a TON of research into the finer details...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #2793 of 9688 Old 01-04-2011, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

you got it...

waiting patiently for my next task...

Since your free. Was hoping you could help me out with a little dilemma. I have both, A100 denon full xt32 + sub eq and a 7005 paired with some emo amps. Both systems would be pushing at a min 7.2 array of deftech speakers. In my short time owning the 7005 I have come to really appreciate her. however, the sub eq functionality in the A100 seems to be the missing link between the two. Thus my question. Outside of the ole rat shack spl meter what's the reco for dual sub calibration/ integration. If I can get close, I would see little benefit in keeping the A100 over the 7005. S this something if we pushed Marantz they could push out via a fw upgrade (wish)..would love to get yours and others feedback.

In search of video bliss...
post #2794 of 9688 Old 01-04-2011, 08:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

i may be free, but i'm not easy...

there's some options out there for sub eq... for multiple subs, the svs as-eq1 seems to do a good job, from what i've read... can't really help that much there, i've only got 1 sub in here...

i don't think we'll see a xt32 "upgrade", as the av7005 likely doesn't have the dsp power available to make it work... but i could be wrong...

alternatively, you could get a audyssey pro kit...

- chris

post #2795 of 9688 Old 01-04-2011, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsegelstein View Post

Thanks, mz. I was just hoping. I guess I'll have to use the A/Ds in my Sony PCM D50 recorder instead. Still, they're probably better than what you'd get in a USB turntable.

-David

I get where you are coming from, that the A/D in this modern $1500, 2010 design piece might be better than whatever is in your Sony recorder (and I'd agree to stay away from USB turntables with their cheapo cartridges and phono preamps), but think about this:

If this Marantz did digitize the analog ins to the optical out jack, there is no "input level control" so instead it would have to rely on some AGC control (probably with with peak limiters to boot) so the LP's original dynamic range would be compromised. You, on the other hand, using your outboard devices that have level meters, input level controls, and the ability to replay the loudest peaks on the record you want to record over and over again such that you can precisely set the maximum level before the onset of clipping, should result in much better overall fidelity.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #2796 of 9688 Old 01-04-2011, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i don't think we'll see a xt32 "upgrade", as the av7005 likely doesn't have the dsp power available to make it work... but i could be wrong....

Oddly I believe Audyssey claims XT32 actually needs no greater processing power than XT does. [I guess being more modern and more computationally efficient or something.] I would agree, however, an upgrade option on the AV7005 is unlikely. Otherwise none of the "gotta have the latest/best" crowd, who post frequently in this thread, wouldn't have a valid reason to dump their AV7005s and get the AV8005 or whatever it will be called.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #2797 of 9688 Old 01-05-2011, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Has anyone tried the IR Flash input to run the IR?

I operate my home theater with my Elve based home automation software and would like to eventually include the AV7005 in the mix. I hate the stick on emitters.

My USB-UIRT IR interface has a direct connect output, so I'm hoping I am lucky enough to just be able to run a line from the USB-UIRT to the AV7005.

I will eventually run Elve from something like an iPad.
post #2798 of 9688 Old 01-05-2011, 05:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

yes, i tried it, and yes, it works...

@mz... thanks, i didn't realize that...

- chris

post #2799 of 9688 Old 01-05-2011, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekos View Post

when using the cd analog input in (stereo), is it straight full range analog or are the speaker settings with the crossover points used?

Let me re-phrase:

If I use my cd player's analog outputs into the 7005 cd analog inputs, is the signal full range while adding the sub ? or is the signal converted to whatever the speaker settings are set as in the setup menu ?
post #2800 of 9688 Old 01-05-2011, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

^This one: "or is the signal converted to whatever the speaker settings are set as in the setup menu" (Although it depends on the exact circumstances. The two "direct" modes will disengage the high pass filter of the main fronts if they were set to "small" and kill the subs, for example, in this 2ch analog in scenario of yours.)*

Here are my more detailed findings:

As far as I know, all 2ch analog ins are treated equally. "CD" isn't any different in what it does or how it is processed compared to "Aux", "DVD" etc., that is. [although keep in mind some settings on the AV7005 are per input, not global. How you set it up to behave on one input may or may not change what happens on other inputs, that is.]

Using these 2ch analog ins, in "stereo" surround mode (the only one I tested), with SW Mode set to "LFE" (not "LFE + Main" which makes a difference), even if you have the sub set to "yes" in the setup menus, it will remain silent if your main front speakers are set to "large".

*Note: this entire post only addresses what happens to the bass and only with analog 2ch ins using surround mode "stereo". What happens with other scenarios or other forms of room/speaker correction (such as "distance" and ch. level trim) should not be (necessarily) inferred.

post #2801 of 9688 Old 01-05-2011, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
So in order to get full range from the analog input set to "stereo" I must choose either of the "direct" modes as it bypasses all processing.

If I choose an analog input and use "stereo" without a "direct" mode, the high pass filters and all processing is engaged.

Got it, thank you.
post #2802 of 9688 Old 01-05-2011, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
neekos,
Give ProLogic IIx Music a try too. Or Neo6 Music. IMHO, they enhance most music I listen to.

Remember - the only reason "stereo" exists is because a record had a left/right side of the groove. Don't let a 100 year old 'raison d'etre' stop you from trying new audio formats
post #2803 of 9688 Old 01-05-2011, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junk123 View Post

I'm running my front LR speakers using an Emotiva XPA-2 with balanced cables. Audessey sets levels on the fronts as-12db as well. I switched to unbalanced and ran the set-up again. This time fronts were set to-11 db. To be honest, I preferred the sound with the balanced cables. My question is, will running my speakers with the balanced cables and the Emotiva amp damage anything or is the concern the accuracy of the Audessey settings? Of note, auto set-up also set my sub at -12 as well. Sub volume level was set half way or 12 o'clock.

Thanks Rich

Quote:

^^^

the concern is accuracy...

i would also turn my sub gain down and re-run...

Yes, as stated by ccotenj, the issue is that of accuracy. With trims at -12 you don't know if it should actually be -15 or -18 or what. As long as the calibration levels come back > -12 and < +12dB you know they are in a valid range and the levels could be set to values determined correct by Audyssey.

Subs...yes, I had to set my subs to about 20-25% of max to get the cal values to be roughly middle of the range.

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
post #2804 of 9688 Old 01-05-2011, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Wilbur, that's analogous to colorizing an old B&W movie. You are second guessing the intent of the original artists, "primitive" as their recording technology at the time may have been.

Quote:

Remember - the only reason "stereo" exists is because a record had a left/right side of the groove.

CDs, one of, if not the best selling music formats of all time and still in production to this day are also "just" 2ch. stereo.

[Also, to be pedantic, the left and right side of a standard LP's record groove are not the L and R channels making up the stereo signal, nor are the up and down and lateral left and right motion of the needle (stylus) motion the L and R channels. The combined diagonal motions up and down to the left and up and down to the right are the two stereo channels. The 2ch stereo signal's motion is like the diagonal arms of the letter X, with each side of the groove wall being equally responsible for each channel .]

post #2805 of 9688 Old 01-05-2011, 11:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

as you just taught me my "thing to learn for the day"... i never knew that...

- chris

post #2806 of 9688 Old 01-05-2011, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
Wilbur, that's analogous to colorizing an old B&W movie. You are second guessing the intent of the original artists, "primitive" as their recording technology at the time may have been.

CDs, one of, if not the best selling music formats of all time and still in production to this day are also "just" 2ch. stereo.

[Also, to be pedantic, the left and right side of a standard LP's record groove are not the L and R channels making up the stereo signal, nor are the up and down and lateral left and right motion of the needle (stylus) motion the L and R channels. The combined diagonal motions up and down to the left and up and down to the right are the two stereo channels. The 2ch stereo signal's motion is like the diagonal arms of the letter X, with each side of the groove wall being equally responsible for each channel .]

The Westrex "45/45" system.

As you mentioned the letter X, employing 45 degree angles.
post #2807 of 9688 Old 01-05-2011, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
pedantic can be good...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
as you just taught me my "thing to learn for the day"... i never knew that...
It gets even more interesting and will make perfect sense once you understand the "why".

We (well not me personally, I wasn't alive yet) already had mono records for decades. Here the horizontal lateral wiggle, left and right, was indeed pretty much analogous to the single channel's waveform, just like Edison's wax (shellac) cylinders. Quite simple and intuitive really. With a magnifying lens you could indeed "see the music" plain as day. But when stereo came along in the 50's the question was, "So where do we put the extra channel?".

By pinching the two record groove walls inward, causing the stylus to move upward, or conversely moving the two walls apart, causing the stylus to descend downward, seemed an obvious solution. There were some problems with this however:

A) Record pressing anomalies that caused bubbles, bumps, and warps* on the playing surface would become clearly audible and adversely distort this new up/down stylus motion channel almost exclusively, yet leave the left/right stylus motion channel relatively unscathed.

B) People with older mono cartridge TTs would only hear one of the two channels, "Paul McCartney singing without The Beatles" syndrome , if they tried out a new "stereophonic" LP.

C) People with the new stereo cartridges would only have one speaker working when they played their older mono records.

The winning solution system, used to this day called "Westrex", named for "Western Electric Company", "the manufacturing arm of AT&T from 1881 to 1995" (says wikipedia), preserved the left/right motion as the mono signal but added up/down as the "L-R", "L minus R" or difference signal. By combining the two motions together one channel becomes the diagonal up to the left and down to the right stylus motion, whereas the other one, up to the right and down to the left becomes the other. This solves problems A, B, and C. We have total compatibility for older record players attempting to play a stereo LP, any added distortions are evenly distributed to both channels not one, and newer TTs could get sound from older mono records out of both of the speakers equally.

*Third and final trivia of the day. Records are made black to visually obscure these bubbles and other defects. The "carbon is added to help conduct away static electricity" myth is just a cover story of the record industry.

post #2808 of 9688 Old 01-05-2011, 12:35 PM
vvv

Liked: 10
Is anyone else having any kind of HDMI handshake issues with the AV7005? I have an issue with only one component.....a 2010 Apple TV. Both Marantz and Apple blame each other and claim that I need a software update in order to stamp it out. The only problem is that my software is current on both items.

If there was a way to remotely power cycle the apple TV, I think the problem could be solved but the thing has no power off or on.

Any thoughts or similar stories?
post #2809 of 9688 Old 01-05-2011, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

It does not appear there is a direct access IR code for Source Select. I am setting up my "IR" library in Elve, and thought all along the button labeled BD would produce an IR transmission that switched me direct to that source.

That appears to be a wrong assumption. It appears one has to scan through the sources.

Do I have this correct?
post #2810 of 9688 Old 01-05-2011, 02:33 PM
vvv

You can use the Marantz remote for direct input selections. As long as your universal remote can learn, you can get them directly from the supplied AV7005 remote. Just make the Marantz remote says AMP at the top.
post #2811 of 9688 Old 01-05-2011, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

^I'm not too sure that will work for him. The Marantz remote's buttons only provide direct access to the inputs if you double strike them quickly. If you pause for five seconds or so between these two key strikes it doesn't work. [or if you punch the "SOURCE SELECT" button first] This is more a AV7005 brain thing than a remote is sending a discrete code thing. I can confirm, however, that there are discrete codes for the inputs out there on the web. I used the codes for the AV8003 for mine from my remote company, URC. [I seem to recall Marantz' website publishes them now as well]
---

My Marantz remote's display is almost completely invisible when viewed directly on axis. True of everyones? I have to tilt the top away from me to see its narrow viewing angle. [The batteries seem OK since the light works fine.] Is there a viewing angle ("contrast") control for this remote?

post #2812 of 9688 Old 01-05-2011, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
anyone done a direct comparison with the av7005 and the Integra dhc-80.2?

(purely in terms of sound quality via digital sources)
post #2813 of 9688 Old 01-05-2011, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
--

My Marantz remote's display is almost completely invisible when viewed directly on axis. True of everyones? I have to tilt the top away from me to see its narrow viewing angle. [The batteries seem OK since the light works fine.] Is there a viewing angle ("contrast") control for this remote?
Mine functions exactly as you describe. I would assume it's designed that way since most users would hold it slightly in front of them, pointed outward. That position seems to be the brightest. Looking straight down on the window results in extremely dim lettering.
post #2814 of 9688 Old 01-05-2011, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
^I'm not too sure about that. The Marantz remote's buttons only provide direct access to the inputs if you double strike them quickly. If you pause for five seconds or so between these two key strikes it doesn't work. [or if you punch the "SOURCE SELECT" button first] I can confirm however that there are discrete codes for the inputs out there on the web. I used the codes for the AV8003 for mine from my remote company, URC. [I seem to recall Marantz' website publishes them now as well]
---
The double strike appears to be a valid suggestion. I just did the "learn" process, using a double strike and it showed it "learned" OK.

A subsequent test of switching the input to VCR with the OEM remote, then pushing the "BD Source" button I had installed on my computer screen in ELVE caused it to switch from VCR to BD as expected.

My computer IR is connected to the IR Flasher input on the AV7005 through a USB-UIRT.

Hardly an exhaustive test, but it appears to work.

Elve is so stable that once the issue is resolved, it usually stays resolved permanently.

Thanks, once again.
post #2815 of 9688 Old 01-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvv View Post

You can use the Marantz remote for direct input selections. As long as your universal remote can learn, you can get them directly from the supplied AV7005 remote. Just make the Marantz remote says AMP at the top.

Just push them twice on the Marantz Remote when teaching the universal remote . Marantz remote only sends out the signal on the second push

P.S. OOps looks like you already figured that out
post #2816 of 9688 Old 01-05-2011, 03:59 PM

Thought I'd share this experience: I ran Audyssey for the first time (never had a pre or avr with it). Strangely, it set my front mains (nht super twos) and surrounds (super ones) to full band! That didn't make any sense. But I ran it a couple of times... So I just changed the crossover to 80hz on both. Is that ok?

It also crossed my center at 150hz and back surrounds at 120hz. This seemed fine to me, as long as there's no hole. Sub is still set at 80hz, lfe only.

It does great so far. Maybe the surrounds are a bit loud, but it's very clear.
post #2817 of 9688 Old 01-05-2011, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifichip76 View Post

Thought I'd share this experience: I ran Audyssey for the first time (never had a pre or avr with it). Strangely, it set my front mains (nht super twos) and surrounds (super ones) to full band! That didn't make any sense. But I ran it a couple of times... So I just changed the crossover to 80hz on both. Is that ok?

It does great so far. Maybe the surrounds are a bit loud, but it's very clear.

If you are using a separate subwoofer, change all your speakers to "small."

The same thing happened to me with my L, C and R speakers. I e-mailed Audyssey and was told to always "small" use "small" when a separate subwoofer is employed. I was also told that it was my Marantz processor that determined that my speakers were "large" and not Audyssey. I'm not about to get in between the two companies. I did set all speakers to "small" and the crossover to 80Hz and couldn't be happier.
post #2818 of 9688 Old 01-05-2011, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I've been lurking for a while waiting for my 7005 so when mine arrived last week and I put it in the rack on Monday I was very excited.

Well today I'm not so exited. I am getting a serious buzzing sound through all my speakers with this pre-amp. I am fairly certain this is not a ground loop issue. I have dedicated circuits for my theater and have never had any other component have this issue. I use ATI 2002/2005 amps for my 7.1 setup.

When the amps are on (w/o using trigger) they are dead quiet with almost zero noise floor. As soon as the pre is on I get a buzzing out of all the speakers with the same tone and loudness.

I have tried every iteration of gear from nothing connected to hooking each piece up separately to see if it goes away. I've tried another amp (Onkyo M282) I use for zone duties. I've tried both balanced and unbalanced connections and everything gives the same buzz sound.

I've spoke with my dealer I purchased it from and I told him I would call back tomorrow to see if I was able to fix it.

Any ideas? I have it in a middle atlantic rack so it is a pain to pull out but that will be the next step. I'll bring to my office and try it there. I bought this to upgrade from an 885. It was working perfect so I'm really feeling dumb now.
post #2819 of 9688 Old 01-05-2011, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

^Unfortunately if it is buried in a rack and hard to break/ re-make any and all connections, a full diagnostic is impossible, however here is a quick/simple one that may give some answers and involves no rear apron access at all [I'm pretending I'm British ]. I take it this noise is audible from your seated position during quiet scenes or when your disc player is paused, right?

Turn off everything in the room or attached to that circuit of the mains (AC). Yes, even the room lights that let you see, especially if they have dimmer circuits which are notorious for generating buzz/noise and disconnect the sub entirely. Use a torch (flashlight) to see instead. Turn on just the power amp. Noise still there?

Now turn on the AV7005 with the amp as well. Select an unused input that has nothing hooked to it, lets say the front flip down panel input called "Aux 1" which you can visually see is definitely bare, select "Pure direct", and then using the button on the top of the remote's second line labeled "A/D" tap that repeatedly and stop at "Input: 7.1CH IN" [which I'm hoping is already bare on the back]. You are now bypassing everything you possibly can while still using the AV7005 as a preamp. Noise still there?

Is the noise present through head phones plugged to the front, too? Does the noise rise and fall with the volume knob? At what volume setting do you hear it?

There's not much else you can do until you have full access to the rear apron. Sorry, you may just have a dodgy piece of kit, or as the Yanks say, "FUBAR".

post #2820 of 9688 Old 01-05-2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnellKrell View Post

If you are using a separate subwoofer, change all your speakers to "small."

The same thing happened to me with my L, C and R speakers. I e-mailed Audyssey and was told to always "small" use "small" when a separate subwoofer is employed. I was also told that it was my Marantz processor that determined that my speakers were "large" and not Audyssey. I'm not about to get in between the two companies. I did set all speakers to "small" and the crossover to 80Hz and couldn't be happier.

Same here!!! Though I did pass my center and back a little higher...

Thanks
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Av7005 Pre Processor
Gear in this thread - Av7005 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page