AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Receivers, Amps, and Processors (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/)
-   -   Marantz AV7005 (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1266725-marantz-av7005.html)

Kabillyhop 07-31-2010 08:22 AM

I have been looking for a replacement for my Anthem AVM20 Prepro that will support all the new formats and 7.1 inputs. The AVM20 has been a solid performer in my system with Bryston and Anthem amps and Paradigm Studio speakers.

Reading the article in the link below, I am thinking that the new Marantz AV7005 might be a great choice. Certainly it has all the features, but my concern is that they will come at the expense of a downgrade in sound quality. Can a $1500 prepro have equivalent sound quality to what was a $3000 prepro 6 or 7 years ago? I know that none of you have seen this unit yet, so opinions may be based on speculation than knowledge, but I really would like to hear what the experts have to say.

Oops - forgot the link. Here it is...

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/p...ier-first-look

John WL 07-31-2010 10:40 AM

I am also hoping this pre-pro does well. It sits at a very good price point with balanced outputs. And, I am eagerly awaiting some positive reviews this coming October. Plus, I am hoping for decent analog performance out of this unit.

John WL 07-31-2010 10:47 AM

Here are some specs for the Marantz AV7005.

DTS HD, Dolby True HD, Dolby ProLogic IIz
6 HDMI inputs, 2 outputs
3D Ready - HDMI 1.4a; audio return channel
DNLA 1.5 support
Internet radio/vTuner/Napster etc support
USB input with iPod digital interface
Audyssey DSX and MultEQ XT
M-Xport (can be used with optional RX1010 wireless Bluetooth audio module)
MM phono stage
Current Feedback with Marantz HDAM
7.2 channel XLR pre-out

I believe it does HD radio also. Feel free to add any more info. I could not find an official page on the Marantz website.

Bill Mac 07-31-2010 12:18 PM

I think many people will be interested in the AV7500 as a feature packed affordable prepro is sure to be popular. My biggest quesion is if the AV7500 will be a clone of Denon's 3311 or 4311. Not that the 3311 or 4311 are not excellent AVRs which I'm sure they are. But if the AV7500 has similar internal components of the 3311 then the 3311 might be a lower cost alternative if you do not need balanced outputs.

It has been rumored that the AV7500 might have Audyssey MultEQ XT-32 which would be the clincher for me. It also would be real nice if the AV7500 has a better analog section than my Onkyo 886.

Bill

bfm 07-31-2010 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabillyhop View Post

I have been looking for a replacement for my Anthem AVM20 Prepro that will support all the new formats and 7.1 inputs. The AVM20 has been a solid performer in my system with Bryston and Anthem amps and Paradigm Studio speakers.

Reading the article in the link below, I am thinking that the new Marantz AV7005 might be a great choice. Certainly it has all the features, but my concern is that they will come at the expense of a downgrade in sound quality. Can a $1500 prepro have equivalent sound quality to what was a $3000 prepro 6 or 7 years ago? I know that none of you have seen this unit yet, so opinions may be based on speculation than knowledge, but I really would like to hear what the experts have to say.

You have some nice gear. Is the 7005 available locally? You should take one home and try this out. You didn't mention your usage. I'm going to guess home theater since you speak 7.1 ;> For HT you will probably be in heaven. The Anthem is nice but dated. You can probably sell it for 500 or so based on Agon prices. So you are into 21st century tech for < 1K. I think the new HD/DD surround and the audyssey will take care of any concerns you have re sound Q. What is your primary source? I'm not in the market myself right now for a prepro but if I was Marantz certainly would be an option. Enjoy!

Bill Mac 07-31-2010 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabillyhop View Post

You have a very nice system that is for sure. I had the AVM30 which is still one of the my favorite processors I have had in my system. But I just had to have HDMI 1.3, video processing and room correction. In going with the Onkyo I would say I did not give up anything in SQ for HT use. But for 2CH music listening the AVM30 is better than the Onkyo IMO.

I would suggest getting the AV7500 when it becomes available and try it in your system. Then you will know first hand if you prefer the Marantz or the Anthem. My feeling is if you are using your system for mostly HT use then I think the AV7500 will sound as good if not a little better than the AVM20. This of course might not not be a fair comparison especially if you would be using Audyssey. That is of course if you like how Audyssey would EQ your room.

Bill

John WL 07-31-2010 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

My biggest quesion is if the AV7500 will be a clone of Denon's 3311 or 4311. Not that the 3311 or 4311 are not excellent AVRs which I'm sure they are. But if the AV7500 has similar internal components of the 3311 then the 3311 might be a lower cost alternative if you do not need balanced outputs.
Bill

Hey Bill,

I know that D&M Holdings own both the Denon and Marantz brands. Are the internal components of these units basically the same with just a different chasis like Integra versus Onkyo? Or, are they using their own design teams with different circuit board layouts?

John

Kabillyhop 07-31-2010 04:38 PM

BFM and Bill, thanks. Regarding usage of the system, its a bit of everything. In order, the hours on the system are probably
1. Sports on TV
2. Movies, fed from Oppo Blu-ray player
3. Music - mostly CD but also DVD, Blu-ray, SACD and even DVD audio
4. Kids PS3 games
Although I don't have a lot of time to listen to music these days, music is still the reason I have this gear in the first place. For me, a lesser system would be adequate for movies and sports. I just don't want to trade SQ for all the modern features.
Don't know that I need the room EQ. Our theatre is pretty well designed accoustically. But I'm curious as to what it would do.
Great suggestion about try before you buy, but I don't know if any dealers around here will do that.

Cheers

tboo 07-31-2010 05:36 PM

Looks like the GUI is a 3310/11 clone

Bill Mac 07-31-2010 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John WL View Post

Hey Bill,

I know that D&M Holdings own both the Denon and Marantz brands. Are the internal components of these units basically the same with just a different chasis like Integra versus Onkyo? Or, are they using their own design teams with different circuit board layouts?

John

John,

You are correct in that Marantz and Denon are owned by the same parent company. What really shows the similarity between the 3311 and the SR-7500 is the back panels. As far as the internals that is anyones guess that probably will not be answered till the Marantz units are available. One item that is on the SR7500 that the 3311 does not have is a 7.1 M/C input. This was pointed out before but I forgot who had pointed it out. It also appears the 3311 has S-VHS inputs but the SR-7500 does not (no big deal there). Looking closer at the rear panels shows the SR-7500 is made in Japan and the 3311 in China.

Bill

http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDeta...th+Networking#

http://us.marantz.com/Products/3231....k+AV+Receiver#

golfugh 07-31-2010 08:39 PM

That was me. The back panel of the 3311 does NOT have multichannel ins, the SR7005 does, ergo I'm assuming the AV7005 also has multichannel ins. It still appears that the AV7005 is more like the Denon 4311 than the 3311, particularly if the AV7005 has multi XT-32.

I'll take the 3311 GUI if it has the 4311's XT-32.

Mark

hipertec 08-01-2010 08:58 AM

I was holding out for the 7005 also to power a dedicated HT room 7.2 Def Tech Mythos setup. But with the price drop of the 7002, what do you guys think? Im running a Epson 9500UB projector for the 1.4 is no use for me. The must is having all the goodies like the decoding of audio, etc. HELP me decide!

ctviggen 08-02-2010 03:48 AM

I'm in the same quandary, but I think I'll hold out for the AV7005, since I have a five channel amplifier. Also, the ability to download updates is a plus. And, the price is reasonable.

Gradius2 08-08-2010 05:12 PM

If someone manages to takes photos from rear, please, post them!

MandM 08-08-2010 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradius2 View Post

If someone manages to takes photos from rear, please, post them!

See post#10

Bill Mac 08-08-2010 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandM View Post

See post#10

MandM,

I believe Gradius2 was asking for rear panel pictures of the AV7500. The link I posted was for the SR7500 which was for comparison purposes to the Denon 3311. I would also like to see a picture of the rear panel of the AV7500. I'm sure we will be seeing them soon.

Bill

NickS 08-09-2010 01:09 PM

Quote:

MandM,

I believe Gradius2 was asking for rear panel pictures of the AV7500. The link I posted was for the SR7500 which was for comparison purposes to the Denon 3311. I would also like to see a picture of the rear panel of the AV7500. I'm sure we will be seeing them soon.

Bill

I'm confused... is the forthcoming Marantz prepro an AV7005 or AV7500, or are there two new prepros in the works?

Bill Mac 08-09-2010 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickS View Post

I'm confused... is the forthcoming Marantz prepro an AV7005 or AV7500, or are there two new prepros in the works?

It will be the AV7500. My bad it is the AV7005.

Bill

cmryan821 08-09-2010 01:22 PM

Quote:

It will be the AV7500.

Bill

Well, the audioholics article and pretty much everywhere I've seen(with the exception of your posts) says it will be the AV7005. I just thought you kept mistyping it.

NickS 08-09-2010 01:23 PM

Quote:

It will be the AV7500.

Bill

Thanks, Bill... it appears that the thread title should be changed to prevent further confusion.

golfugh 08-09-2010 01:40 PM

The Marantz press release calls it the AV7005.

Bill Mac 08-09-2010 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmryan821 View Post

Well, the audioholics article and pretty much everywhere I've seen(with the exception of your posts) says it will be the AV7005. I just thought you kept mistyping it.

You are right the only one calling it the AV7500 is me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickS View Post

Thanks, Bill... it appears that the thread title should be changed to prevent further confusion.

Nick,

No the thread title is correct, disregard my post. The only one here confused is me.

Bill

phantom52 08-09-2010 02:51 PM

Have you looked into the MRX series AVR's from Anthem for a replacment option? These may also deserve a look.

NickS 08-09-2010 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

Have you looked into the MRX series AVR's from Anthem for a replacment option? These may also deserve a look.

Anthem's new MRX line are receivers, correct? Most here would not consider updating their prepro with a receiver.

Do you happen to know if/when Anthem is planning to update their prepro line? I greatly enjoyed my AVM-20 and a D1 but the leap to the D2 was a bit of a stretch economically in an environment that is ever changing and improving.

golfugh 08-09-2010 04:16 PM

They just did: AVM 50V and D2V

Blindamood 08-11-2010 12:09 PM

I'm kind of excited about this processor, as it seems to fill a real void in the HT market. I previously owned a Rotel RSP-1068, but moved to a Denon AVR-3808CI receiver when I could no longer use multi-channel analog due to space limitations, and needed to go all HDMI. I have always considered the Denon to be an interim solution, as I'd really like to get back to a standalone processor. I have looked at a number of processors in the mean time (e.g., Cary, NAD, Marantz, Rotel) all of which had some sort of limitation or glitch that made them unappealing to me.

The Denon really does everything I need, but since I'm using it only as a pre-pro (along with Rotel RMB-1085 for amplification) I would really like to get back to a standalone processor. My biggest desire is to ensure the sound quality is the best I can get for <$2500, primarily for multi-channel music. The Marantz AV8003 looks pretty sweet, but is priced at the higher end of my range, and does not support Ethernet connectivity, which I use primarily for firmware updates.

Looking over the specs of the AV7005, it seems to cover every single check box I have, and at a very attractive price. I think this could be a great seller for Marantz, assuming everything works and sounds as promised when it finally hits the market.

I really do wonder, though, if it is the new 'reference' or if there will be a new 8xxx series coming shortly thereafter...?

Alpha10 08-12-2010 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindamood View Post

I really do wonder, though, if it is the new 'reference' or if there will be a new 8xxx series coming shortly thereafter...?

This is also my concern, I don't mind spending more on a AV8005/9005 if it become available but what I do not want to do is spend on the AV7005 only to find in a couple of months it isn't the reference version afterall.....

Bill Mac 08-12-2010 08:13 AM

Quote:

I doubt the AV7005 will be the new reference especially if it is based on the Denon 3311 or 4311. Not that there is anything wrong with the quality of either Denon. I am very interested in the AV7005 as well but I'm hoping it has a better analog stage than the 3311 or the 4311. That is if it is in fact based on either of the two.

I would think Marantz would be coming out with something like the 8005 to be their reference prepro. But thats just a guess. I would like to point out that I have the correct model number this time.

Bill

jedrgy 08-12-2010 08:25 AM

Quote:

I'm kind of excited about this processor, as it seems to fill a real void in the HT market. I previously owned a Rotel RSP-1068, but moved to a Denon AVR-3808CI receiver when I could no longer use multi-channel analog due to space limitations, and needed to go all HDMI. I have always considered the Denon to be an interim solution, as I'd really like to get back to a standalone processor. I have looked at a number of processors in the mean time (e.g., Cary, NAD, Marantz, Rotel) all of which had some sort of limitation or glitch that made them unappealing to me.

The Denon really does everything I need, but since I'm using it only as a pre-pro (along with Rotel RMB-1085 for amplification) I would really like to get back to a standalone processor. My biggest desire is to ensure the sound quality is the best I can get for <$2500, primarily for multi-channel music. The Marantz AV8003 looks pretty sweet, but is priced at the higher end of my range, and does not support Ethernet connectivity, which I use primarily for firmware updates.

Looking over the specs of the AV7005, it seems to cover every single check box I have, and at a very attractive price. I think this could be a great seller for Marantz, assuming everything works and sounds as promised when it finally hits the market.

I talked with a Marantz dealer yesterday who said that the 8xxx won't be available till spring.

On a side note. He said the denons and marantz's now share very similar HDMI boards but that's all

Bill Mac 08-12-2010 01:19 PM

[quote=jedrgy;19038731]
Quote:
I talked with a Marantz dealer yesterday who said that the 8xxx won't be available till spring.

Thats interesting, I wonder when Marantz will make it official?

Quote:
On a side note. He said the denons and marantz's now share very similar HDMI boards but that's all.

Unless the dealer is very knowledgable in all aspects (internal components etc.) of the new Denon AVRs, the new Marantz AVRs and the not yet released AV7005 I would not take his opinion as a definite. I hope he is correct and the new Marantz AVRs and the AV7005 have better internal components (DACs and analog stage) than those of the Denons.

Bill