Connecting Speakers to a Computer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 08-02-2010, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, i'm sure you have heard this a lot and I did a search but I just couldn't find what I was looking for.

I have some really nice Philips 4ohm speakers that came with my hi-fi system many years ago, these things sound really nice and clear, lots of clean bass, just really good and I love them and right now I have them hooked up to my computer via the amplifier it came with and the amp or receiver is so bulky and big and I just want to get something that I can just set on my desk or something.

These just have speaker wire thats it and what I am looking for is a 2 channel amp that you you plug your speaker wires in and then has a RCA output to plug into a computer.

Now I found the Pyle Mini 2x75W Stereo Power Amplifier and i'm sure it would work, but I read some reviews and it just concerns me whether if it's for every day use. I listen to a lot of music and I do a lot of stuff with video and audio. I also play guitar and I like to have backing tracks play and these speakers do the job just fine.

So with that said I am asking if you have used this and if it's good and if it would power these speakers, I mean they have 6inch subs and a bass port.

I'm also asking if you know of a better way of doing this, so I could get rid of the big bulky receiver I have sitting on the floor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-02-2010, 11:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Not that I have a better suggestion, but that Pyle looks like a pile of crap.

What physical size are you looking for?
post #3 of 20 Old 08-02-2010, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Well something that I can fit on my desk, I would like some sort of control like bass, treble, volume. You know the standard stuff..

Also I can't afford something that is going to be over 100 dollars, it's gotta be something under 100 bucks, because for 100 dollars I probably could buy decent studio speakers.

To be honest the size can be around the Pyle, can be bigger or can be smaller I don't care. As longs as it's smaller than my 6 disc cd player, 2 tape deck, 400 billion sound settings receiver.
post #4 of 20 Old 08-02-2010, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 98
This one is over $100. Gets great reviews and is very versatile.
Don't know anything about this one - but PE is very good about returns. Dayton is a decent brand - Pyle? They hype everything the sell as high power - like that should impress - trouble is it does impress some.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #5 of 20 Old 08-02-2010, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm the first one looks good, maybe a little expensive for me, but doesn't have any bass or treble controls, just a volume, it's not a bad size, I could deal with that I suppose.

The second one doesn't even look like it would even be powerful enough. You know i'm not really sure, but i'm going to put them on the list. For around 140 dollars I bet I could probably get some nice studio speakers, such as the M-Audio Studiophile AV 40 Powered Speakers where I don't need a separate amplifier, just plug them in and go.

heres a photo of my setup, hopefully you get an idea how big these speakers really are

post #6 of 20 Old 08-03-2010, 06:14 AM

post #7 of 20 Old 08-03-2010, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 284
http://tweakcityaudio.com/index.php?...emart&Itemid=1

This is a fantastic amp and I would recommend it for you. Its been reviewed very well, and has some great features at its price point. It can handle 4ohm speakers, has a sub-out connection, and a built in crossover to better integrate a sub (should you ever upgrade).

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #8 of 20 Old 08-03-2010, 10:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Looks like he wants some integrated pre-amp type controls as well.
The one posted just above this post of mine, looks like a winner for sure.
post #9 of 20 Old 08-03-2010, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

I'm liking the Gizmo, But have anyone really used it here? If you have, how does it sound? Is it loud enough? Sometimes I get my speakers so loud that they move on my desk, haha, I'm not in the room though, i'm else were, but it's so loud that I can hear it through out the house. lol
post #10 of 20 Old 08-03-2010, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 284
I have read some good reviews on it, and for near field listening it is going to have plenty of power. Unless you are going to pair it with some very inefficient speakers, like < 85dB, you should be fine. They also mention that with the sub-out connection, it helps to reduce the load on the amp and make your power go further.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #11 of 20 Old 08-03-2010, 01:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwin View Post

I'm liking the Gizmo, But have anyone really used it here? If you have, how does it sound? Is it loud enough? Sometimes I get my speakers so loud that they move on my desk, haha, I'm not in the room though, i'm else were, but it's so loud that I can hear it through out the house. lol

I'd lay good money it slays the Pyle on output.
post #12 of 20 Old 08-03-2010, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

I'd lay good money it slays the Pyle on output.

Most amps will.

Behringer self powered speakers might be a better option than spending money on amplifying those speakers.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #13 of 20 Old 08-03-2010, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Those speakers look pretty good, I just don't know what they sound like. I checked out some videos on YouTube and of course you can't judge the audio on them.

I'm not sure what i'm going to do, I may just have to get these type of speakers, I also could get the M-Audio Studiophile AV 40 Powered Speakers. I just don't know how loud these suckers can go and how much bass it puts out.

I like that the Behringer MS40 has many connectivity options, I like the digital input.

I'm just not sure, I really do want the studio speakers cause they just produce so much better sound than my logitech's 2.1. What do you recommend I do?

You know I also like to crank them right up sometimes too, hehe.
post #14 of 20 Old 08-03-2010, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

20wpc is quite a bit when you are sitting close. Most people don't realize that when their speakers are 'cranked up' that they are only using maybe 10-15 watts. The Behringer speakers get very good reviews. You can read some of them from the link I sent you. You can also do a search on the forum here for opinions on them.

The M-Audio speakers are probably better than the Behringer's but may cost more.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #15 of 20 Old 08-04-2010, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

The M-Audio Studiophile AV 40 Speakers are not really that much more, and if they sound really good, I might just pick those up, but I guess if it's gets too loud it sounds like crap, so I don't really know what to do at this point.

What does everyone recommend I do? I listen to a lot of music, all kinds of music, sometimes I need them to go very loud.

Thats one thing I like about these speakers, if they get loud they don't really distort.

Whats the advantages and disadvantages of keeping my current speakers and getting a amp or getting the M-Audio Studiophile AV 40 Speakers or something similar?
post #16 of 20 Old 08-04-2010, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

If you like your current speakers then buy an amp that will power them. Audio is all about what you like - not what others like.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #17 of 20 Old 08-04-2010, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

I do like them yes, but they are big, and I want to be able to fit another 22inch monitor on my desk, so I think if I bought those M-Audio speakers, I might be able to do it since they are a lot smaller.

Do you know of any type of stands I could use so they are at ear height, or would they be find I mounted them on the wall? Would they still sound fine?

Sorry with all of the newbie questions, I am really new to the audio/video world. I just want to get the best sound I possibly can with the money i have.
post #18 of 20 Old 08-05-2010, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

So I'm really looking at these Swan D1080MkII08 They look like they might be the winners, I just can't find many reviews, but they are mentioned on a lot of forums, I can afford these (almost that is) But they look like the right size I am looking for, they are not tiny speakers, 60 watts total, I think 30 watts per channel, more than the M-Audio ones.

So what do you guys think?
post #19 of 20 Old 08-10-2010, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

You know I just don't know what I should do.

What would sound the best?

The Klipsch 2.1 ProMedia Computer Speakers or something similar

Powered Studio Monitor's

Or Bookshelf speakers powered by the Gizmo amp. I was look at the Sony SS-B1000 and the Polk Audio Monitor 30.

I just don't know what to do! What is going to give me the best sound?

I only really listen to music, so you know I just don't know what to do.

If I mounted the bookself speakers on the wall, would that effect the low end sound? Which would mean i would need a sub woofer, correct?

I still have Logitech x-230 speakers which I did like, but I'm kind of looking for an upgrade. So I mean the best thing I probably could do is get those sony bookshelf speakers, wall mount them and buy a sub woofer and hook it up to the gizmo.

EDIT:

I'm thinking to get the Polk Audio PSW10 and the Polk Audio Monitor 30 and if i'm not mistaking, that subwoofer has a built in amplifier that will power the monitors and has a line in so I could hook my computer up to it.

That might be the best solution to give me the right sound i'm looking for, what do you think?
post #20 of 20 Old 08-10-2010, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

That sub will only power itself. If you get the monitor 30s you'll still need an amp/receiver to power them. And how are you going to separate a sub signal for the sub? Your computer sound card will need a sub out port. You haven't mentioned what sound card your computer has.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page