Onkyo SC5508 Surround processor [No Price Talk] - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 2743 Old 01-12-2011, 05:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
No idea, it's a strange design decision. My denon 4308 could be locked to a format. I haven't found the same on the 5508.

"Unplugging the signal cable is pretty much the ultimate in component isolation. Now if you removed the AC power and it still did it you should look for the little blond girl saying "they're he-re."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2743 Old 01-12-2011, 08:45 AM

Liked: 10
Indeed, it looks strange design...
Do you think this is hardware design or belong to software side so it may be fixed with firmware update?
post #363 of 2743 Old 01-12-2011, 08:56 AM

It's definetly a software issue, but one I think they put in there on purpose, so I wouldn't count on it being fixed anytime soon.

"Unplugging the signal cable is pretty much the ultimate in component isolation. Now if you removed the AC power and it still did it you should look for the little blond girl saying "they're he-re."
post #364 of 2743 Old 01-12-2011, 09:25 AM

I wonder why they did it on purpose...
I can not find good reason to do so as most of the time we need digital and not analog
post #365 of 2743 Old 01-12-2011, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diversifiedesi View Post

Hi to all!

I have been having major issues with my 5508 when switching sources. Every time I switch sources there is audio output but no video. If I power the 5508 down, then power back up, the video output will return most of the time, but after several days of this, I can't get video from my Directv receiver anymore.
My sources are Oppo BDP-93, Directv HR-24, PS3 and Xbox 360. My projector is the JVC RS-60. I have tried all HDMI output formats on the Onkyo with no success. Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Hi,

You might want to compare notes with Dave Vaughn he's having handshake issues on Onkyo's sister prepro the Integra DHC 80.2 and the JVC RS40 projector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Just received my RS40 today. Has anyone had syncing issues with an Integra 80.2? I didn't have any sync issues with my HD-1 at all. Furthermore, the RS40 locked up on me while in the setup menu and was completely unresponsive. Had to unplug it and wait for 10 minutes to get it to work again.

Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #366 of 2743 Old 01-12-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkster27 View Post

Separates also give you more flexibility. My 5508 is the fourth preamp to front my fifteen-year-old Adcom amps. The preamp features have changed considerably, amp technology hardly at all. Plus there are irrational intangibles, the sense that separates mark you as more of an audio/videophile. FWTW.

Another plus of separates is that any decent amp will have much higher capacitance (in microfarads) than a receiver. So when you need lots of juice for that explosion, you have it stored in "da bank". A receiver just can't fit all that in the box. And, despite the hype, I still think that high end receivers will have issues driving low impedance loads. I bought a Pioneer Elite receiver about a year ago ($1,600 price point) and the Pioneer tech support guy told me it would have issues driving 4 ohm Triads for lengthy periods of time. Now, the Onkyo marketing materials say the 5008 is 4 ohm certified, but you know, I'd rather have a sledge hammer than a ballpeen hammer when it comes to doing gruntwork. May be a poor analogy, but most will know what I mean. The real dilemma is whether to buy 5008 and just use the front end, instead of getting the 5508 -- given the pricing and distribution, seems like it's easier to get the 5008 at cheaper street $ than the 5508 (even tho the latter is around $500 + MSRP).
post #367 of 2743 Old 01-15-2011, 07:47 AM

At best I can tell you are paying retail. I just got a PR-SC5508 from a dealer I cannot quote, and it was a unit ordered for a customer that didn't take delivery before the holidays. He wanted it gone, and the price was just over 27% off the $2199.00 retail price.
post #368 of 2743 Old 01-15-2011, 05:37 PM

Thanks Larry!
post #369 of 2743 Old 01-21-2011, 09:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Where and who are you guys purchasing the unit from ?
PM Me

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

post #370 of 2743 Old 01-22-2011, 03:45 AM

I am all set with my PR-SC5508, my Emotiva XPA-2 and XPA-5 my B&W 803 nautilus and Bose Acoustimass. I use a British made sub MJ Acoustics 200 which is great for movies
Balanced connections between the pre and amps with Bluejeans cables
I use a Denon DVD 3910 for music and some DVDs connected via HDMI for the movies and analog for sound
I also have a mede8er 400X to stream mostly movies from my NAS
I have run Audyssey for 8 positions
What I have experienced so far is the following:
Sound:
Overall the sound now has a full body and my digital library sounds much better
I realized that my previous amp, a Denon 3806, was not doing justice to the B&Ws'
I have not tested extensively playing SACD yet and I am not happy that I have to go analog for SACD
I use TwonkyMedia as my DLNA server and I have had some issues with the Onkyo
Once, I even had to turn it completely off and on again since it had stuck and couldn't do anything.
Also, I am not happy at all with the luck of a random function and I sincerely hope that this will be fixed
I have to convert much of my AAC to another format since the Onkyo has poor or no support for that.
AAC is also Apple loseless which is not supported at all
So far I was using a Squeezebox 3 and I was a lot more happy with the fact that first, I didn't have to turn the TV on to navigate through my library and I did have a random function. So I might choose to restore it in the future

Video:
I watch mostly through the mede8er my digital libray
I have the mede8ers' function off as to use the Onkyo's relevant circuits
I cannot say that the upscaling works great but for me to be fair it might be due to the poor source quality sometimes, especially when I set it at 1080p/24. If the source quality is good the picture is stunning and if you complement it with the sound and the newer surround modes then the overall experience is substantially better
Sometimes I get a ghost effect even on Onkyo's overlay menu's.
I cannot attribute it to the cable since it doesn't happen all the times

Game:
We also have a PS3 in the house and my 17 year old son is much more impressed with the new setup. Since he is the sole user of that I will take his word for it. I have not played any BR material yet

General:
The web management is a joke and I hope that it will be impoved. I am expecting the promised iphone app to see if I will get any better management there
The clicking sound is there but I will not let it irritate me. If it will get away though I will not complain :-)
post #371 of 2743 Old 01-22-2011, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
I find slimserver and a squeeze touch the best way access my library using the app iPeng to choose music
post #372 of 2743 Old 01-22-2011, 06:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 451
I am looking at the 3008 and possibly the 5508 as a possible replacement for my 886. The 3008/5508 has many features that the 886 does not one being the ability to use a sub in Direct and Pure audio modes.

On page 57 of the 3008/5008 manual it discusses the setting to enable the sub for Direct or Pure audio settings:

■Analog
Subwoofer
Off:
Analog audio signals (bass signals) are not output.
On:
Analog audio signals (bass signals) are output.
This setting determines whether or not analog audio signals
(bass signals) are output from front speakers when the
Pure Audio or Direct listening mode is selected.

What I am wondering is if there is any crossover setting for using the sub in Direct and Pure? Would the bass management settings of the 3008/5008/5508 be used in this application? Is anyone with the 5508 using the Pure or Direct mode with their sub?

Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #373 of 2743 Old 01-22-2011, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes you can use the sub in direct mode without Audyssey
post #374 of 2743 Old 01-22-2011, 07:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post
Yes you can use the sub in direct mode without Audyssey
I was not aware that you could use Audyssey in Direct mode. When you are using the sub in direct what form of crossovers or bass management is used? Or do you have to use the crossover at the sub? Thanks for your help!

Bill

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #375 of 2743 Old 01-22-2011, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac

I was not aware that you could use Audyssey in Direct mode. When you are using the sub in direct what form of crossovers or bass management is used? Or do you have to use the crossover at the sub? Thanks for your help!

Bill
That is right no Audyssey in direct mode. Cross over is what you set in speaker config in the receiver as far I know

I find that Audyssey using stereo sounds a lot better than direct in my system
post #376 of 2743 Old 01-22-2011, 08:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post
That is right no Audyssey in direct mode. Cross over is what you set in speaker config in the receiver as far I know

I find that Audyssey using stereo sounds a lot better than direct in my system
jmschnur,

Thanks again for your help. I am finding that using stereo with Audyssey sounds better than Direct or Pure audio modes with my 886 as well. Of course with the 886 I can not use my sub in Direct and Pure as with the 5508.

Bill

post #377 of 2743 Old 01-23-2011, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I am looking at the 3008 and possibly the 5508 as a possible replacement for my 886. The 3008/5508 has many features that the 886 does not one being the ability to use a sub in Direct and Pure audio modes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I am finding that using stereo with Audyssey sounds better than Direct or Pure audio modes with my 886 as well. Of course with the 886 I can not use my sub in Direct and Pure as with the 5508.

Hi Bill,

Like you I am considering upgrading from an 886 to a 5508. However, since as you point out, we lose Audyssey in the Direct and Pure Audio modes, I never considered this new bass management feature much of an inducement to upgrade.

However, here are some new features that have caught my interest in rough order of interest:
  • MultEQ XT32
  • DSX
  • HDMI 1.4
  • Network features

On the downside, here are some negative issues that have gotten my attention:
  • Much louder relay clicking
  • HDMI handshake issues with new JVC 3D projectors
  • Elimination of built-in HD radio receiver
  • Elimination of built-in XM radio receiver
  • Elimination of switched power outlet

I invite you and the other forum members who have upgraded or are considering upgrading to this preamplifier to comment on these listed items to discuss the degree (if any) to which they are influencing their purchase decision. Of course, I am equally interested in hearing thoughts on other unlisted considerations that influence the upgrade decision.

For those who have already upgraded are there any disappointments, or pleasant surprises?

Thanks.

Larry

post #378 of 2743 Old 01-23-2011, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryChanin View Post

I invite you and the other forum members who have upgraded or are considering upgrading to this preamplifier to comment on these listed items to discuss the degree (if any) to which they are influencing their purchase decision. Of course, I am equally interested in hearing thoughts on other unlisted considerations that influence the upgrade decision.

For those who have already upgraded are there any disappointments, or pleasant surprises?

Thanks.

Larry

This is an update to my post from about a month ago:

After living with my 5508 since mid-December 2010, these are the advantages and disadvantages (in no particular order)I see over the 885 it replaced:

PROS:
  1. . The price is right if you're itching to upgrade.
  2. .. Improved sound, overall.
  3. .. Internet connectivity. I use vTuner and Pandora all the time. Slacker and Mediafly are interesting but less valuable to me. The free stuff is so good I don't see any value in paying for Rhapsody (I had a free two-week trial for Rhapsody on another device I didn't renew) or Napster. However, they may be worthwhile if you follow the latest rock/pop/rap, which I don't. SIRIUS is worth paying for if you want the breadth of their offerings, or something specialized like Howard Stern.
  4. .. Neural Digital Music mode.
  5. .. Can function as a Digital Music Server (it works, but it skips more often than my WDTV, which is connected directly to my system).
  6. .. 3 more HDMI connections
  7. .. Audyssey XT32 an obvious improvement.
  8. .. Universal Port paired with UP-A1 Dock ($70 - $100 extra). This offers seamless integration with your iPhone or iPod, and delivers power, audio, and video with just one cable. (My Denon ASD-51N delivered the same functionality, but required four cables. The fourth cable was for Internet access, redundant with the 5508.)
CONS:
  1. .. Audible relay switching. This is my biggest complaint, and it seems like a real step backward; I wonder why Onkyo allowed it. My 5508 is exposed, not in a cabinet, and the clicking is clearly audible throughout the living room. It's especially annoying on certain satellite TV channels; some commercials are encoded in Dolby, some are not. The 5508 clicks with every change. Of course, just one more reason to rely on the DVR. There is much more discussion of this issue over in the Integra 80.2 forum (none of it positive).
  2. .. No digital out (DRM paranoia, I assume).
  3. .. No HD Radio. Not that big a deal for me; you can buy an outboard HD Radio receiver from Onkyo for $150 if you really want it, but I'm guessing Onkyo decided that Internet Radio will soon make HD Radio irrelevant, and perhaps Broadcast Radio, as well. (And, for those few of you who didn't already know, HD in this context stands for Hybrid Digital, not High Definition.)
  4. .. No Internet Radio display Screen Saver.
  5. .. No Pandora Like / Don't Like support (although the manual says there is).
  6. .. Just one blue LED at the top of the volume knob, which still looks like a mistake.
  7. .. 2 fewer Video/AudioL/AudioR connections
  8. .. No XM Radio support
  9. .. No way to review Audyssey settings after exiting calibration
  10. .. Picture Adjust>Film Mode>Auto is supposed to automatically detect Film (24fps) or Video (30fps). However, it does not work properly, often introducing stutter to the motion. Since most of my viewing is Film, I just leave it set there.

NEUTRAL:
  1. . 9.2 vs 7.1 (I'm still happy with 5.1)
  2. .. The output level of the 5508 is lower than that of the 885 (at least on my two units). Displaying volume as Relative(THX), I would start my 885 at "-30." I start the 5508 at "-20" for approximately the same volume.
This is purely subjective, but it seems to me that with the 5508, in comparison to the 885, Onkyo has put more emphasis on the audio rather than video features. Which I think is just as well, because blu-ray players and TVs seem to have plenty of adjustability. I know mine do.
post #379 of 2743 Old 01-23-2011, 12:04 PM

I have upgraded my 668 with the new SC5508 about month ago.
The 5508 equipped with all what you wanted and much more.
The sound is wonderful, weighted and very detailed.

I can tell on 2 disappointing issues:

1. Audible relay switching with every change, i can not understand this poor decision
2. The manual calibration doesn't handle frequencies under 63 Hz (the older 886 did)

Without these 2 issues it could be perfect instrument.
post #380 of 2743 Old 01-23-2011, 01:26 PM

Call me old fashioned, but I think the relays clicks are reassuring. That means there is proper galvanic connection and disconnection, and makes me think of proper high-end gear. Old High-end stuff always clicked and clacked like a typewriter.

I usually stick to one mode and source, though. I can see it being annoying while channelsurfing or something.

post #381 of 2743 Old 01-23-2011, 02:10 PM
Wireless member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Sooooo, relays that don't click are not providing proper galvanic connection and disconnection?

Sorry, couldn't resist busting your cookies a bit.

Jeff

- it's never done!

post #382 of 2743 Old 01-23-2011, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by atledreier View Post

Call me old fashioned, but I think the relays clicks are reassuring. That means there is proper galvanic connection and disconnection, and makes me think of proper high-end gear. Old High-end stuff always clicked and clacked like a typewriter.

I usually stick to one mode and source, though. I can see it being annoying while channelsurfing or something.

Agreed. With the 886, there was no clicking but every so often, I would lose audio when FF the TiVo. My 5507 clicks, but never loses audio.

I find the clicking, acceptable. Especially, if it improves audio performance.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #383 of 2743 Old 01-23-2011, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

With the 886, there was no clicking but every so often, I would lose audio when FF the TiVo. My 5507 clicks, but never loses audio.

Hi Rich,

In posting 332 we discuss that the 886 does have relay clicking, but in most cases the clicking is not objectionable. The only exception that I recall is that the clicking is loud on powering up and switching to standby.

I have a Tivo, I don't recall losing audio. If I get a chance I'll conduct another experiment.

Larry

post #384 of 2743 Old 01-23-2011, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:

Hi Rich,

In posting 332 we discuss that the 886 does have relay clicking, but in most cases the clicking is not objectionable. The only exception that I recall is that the clicking is loud on powering up and switching to standby.

I have a Tivo, I don't recall losing audio. If I get a chance I'll conduct another experiment.

Larry

I had an 886 and I don't recall it. But I defer to current owners.
I also had the 885, so my age may be getting to me

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #385 of 2743 Old 01-23-2011, 05:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

I had an 886 and I don't recall it. But I defer to current owners.
I also had the 885, so my age may be getting to me

- Rich

Rich,

Your recall is just fine as my 886 does not click at all (neither did my 885).

The issue of relay clicking has been taked about quite a bit with the 5507 and now the 5508. I thought the relay issue could be resolved by assigning specific audio formats to each input. I have done that with the 886 but I'm not sure if that will resolve the issue with the 5507/5508. Although I never had any clicking even before assigning audio.

Bill

post #386 of 2743 Old 01-23-2011, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Thanks.

Larry

I upgraded from an Onkyo 886 (Audyssey Pro calibrated) to an Integra DHC-80.2 (Audyssey Pro calibrated). I chose the DHC-80.2 prior to Audyssey Pro being committed on the 5008 or I would likely have gone with the 5008. My system is used primarily for music listening with movies being secondary.

For my system there is a major improvement in audio quality from the 886 to the 80.2. Imaging is much better for both stereo and for multi-channel music (SACD, Blu-ray, and DVD). I believe Audyssey XT32 is a major contributor to the improvement in audio quality, but I also think some of the changes between the 886 and the 5007/DHC-80.1 are likely contributing to the improved audio also. Those changes included DAC improvements, improvement in regards to jitter, and an improvement in volume processing. For those who are familar with the "www.2l.no" music releases that include both SACD and Blu-Ray versions another advantage is the higher resolution on the Blu-Ray discs has Audyssey support which it did not have on the 886.

For myself and my partner, who is a professional musician, the improvement in audio quality justifies the upgrade. I plan to take advantage of the network features, but I have not had time to do much in that area to date.

Bob
post #387 of 2743 Old 01-23-2011, 10:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I FIXED MY ISSUE WITH MY 5508....

I hope this works for any of you, when then 5508 is on press and hold vcr/dvr and return at the same time, it will say video processing use, let go of return and press return again and it will say skip. Just toggle until it says skip and everything worked as it should, this is at least a work around until we hear from JVC or Onkyo!!!!

I posted this a few different threads as I want people to see it and test, this worked for me 100%.

post #388 of 2743 Old 01-24-2011, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atledreier View Post

On High-end stuff the relays are suitable as you only set the input and play music BUT on Home Theater system this is not acceptable at all. as, for example, when you play a Bluray movie you navigate in the menu and each action cause clicks, also till the movie begins there are some different sound tracks for each menu setting and the result is many clicks. In addition, each Play/Stop/Pause/FF/RWD causing clicks... it endless
Besides the audible noise which annoying there is a question of life work, the unit with such operating can have problems in the short terms due to the many clicks...
post #389 of 2743 Old 01-24-2011, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotikr1 View Post

I FIXED MY ISSUE WITH MY 5508....

I hope this works for any of you, when then 5508 is on press and hold vcr/dvr and return at the same time, it will say video processing use, let go of return and press return again and it will say skip. Just toggle until it says skip and everything worked as it should, this is at least a work around until we hear from JVC or Onkyo!!!!

I posted this a few different threads as I want people to see it and test, this worked for me 100%.

Hi,

Wow! How did you happen to come across such a procedure?

Does this resolve HDMI handshake issues on initial powering and things continue to work afterwards, or does the procedure have to be repeated after every source change?

Thanks.

Larry

post #390 of 2743 Old 01-24-2011, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Hi,

Wow! How did you happen to come across such a procedure?

Does this resolve HDMI handshake issues on initial powering and things continue to work afterwards, or does the procedure have to be repeated after every source change?

Thanks.

Larry

Larry,

I knew there had to be a way to get the video off. I read someone say on an old model it was aux and power. I went through all the power and input and then moved to input an the return button.

This shuts off all Onkyo video processing until you turn it on manually. So it's a workaround that will last until you decide to re-enable the video processing.

Everything works as if the Onkyo was not in the chain. Each input displays on my RS40 exactly as I have it set from the source. I tested it for about 20 min turning it off, on. Switching inputs, switching between 3D and 2D. Etc. No issues.

Another user named Dave read my post and it worked for him also. I was not going to live with the problem for long and glad I don't have too.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Pr Sc5507 Pre Amplifier Home Theater Av Controller Preamp 9 2 Channel New
Gear in this thread - Sc5507 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page