Onkyo SC5508 Surround processor [No Price Talk]

231K views 3K replies 218 participants last post by  GeorgeHolland 
#1 ·
#27 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB /forum/post/19153683

Congratulations!

Please do give your first impressions.

I am particularly curious about the networking as the Receivers in the 8 series have been having a great deal of trouble.

- Rich

I'm not aware of that... which kind of problem ?

#29 ·
Bonjour S.,

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterix007 /forum/post/19155006

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...ostcount=30362

Quote:
Originally Posted by audyssey /forum/post/19128139

It appears that a firmware bug is emerging as the culprit. We are investigating and will keep you posted on a solution in the form of a firmware update...this only affects the first batch of 3008/5008 units and that it was corrected in the ones following. But, I don't have details on S/Ns yet. I will continue to keep everyone posted as I receive info.

So maybe this also concerns the 5508... or maybe not!

Bonne journée, (have a nice day)

Hugo

#30 ·
#31 ·
Hi Kal,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/19132826

Is that a real consideration? If you like(d) your Onkyo, why would you not go directly to Integra when you need to update? If you didn't like your Onkyo, why would you consider Integra?

Yes it is (a real consideration). Because as you indicated, in the US you have the choice. But when you are in EUrope, where only Onkyo exists, there is no choice...

So if one wants an Audyssey Pro ready product, it's Denon or ... Denon!

Hugo

#32 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterix007 /forum/post/19155006

Many have problems where the 8's never get past "Networking Initializing".

There are also "Cannot Play" errors from the network and from Pandora.

A work around is to change inputs from the Network, change back, quickly unplug the cord and plug it back in.

Another is to enable Network control, however, this approach leaves the Receiver on all the time using a lot of power.

Check out the 708 and 808 threads for additional information.

- Rich

#33 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo S /forum/post/19155118

Hi Kal,

Yes it is (a real consideration). Because as you indicated, in the US you have the choice. But when you are in EUrope, where only Onkyo exists, there is no choice...

Hugo

I agree that in Europe it would be an issue. AFAIK, the policy of keeping Pro-compatibility to the Integra line as expressed to be applicable to US distribution.

#34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB /forum/post/19155219

Many have problems where the 8's never get past "Networking Initializing".

There are also "Cannot Play" errors from the network and from Pandora.

A work around is to change inputs from the Network, change back, quickly unplug the cord and plug it back in.

Another is to enable Network control, however, this approach leaves the Receiver on all the time using a lot of power.

Check out the 708 and 808 threads for additional information.

- Rich

hey richb, i own the 5507 and about a month ago i had the "cannot play" error from pandora. it turned the pre-amp on & off several times same issue but the next morning i turned it on and since then music plays fine from pandora. i am under the impression this was a pandora problem. i never had it before and haven't had it since and i listen to pandora all the time.

of course i'm not saying those folks aren't having a problem with their units but perhaps, some of the time they are experiencing a problem that's on pandora's end. wonder if you have that issue if you are using the pay service from pandora, we are getting the low-rez freebee!, just saying...

oh yeah, i love my 5507 and won't be buying the 5508 and that's not a knock at it either. i would love the option for heights & widths at the same time but it's not that important to me. as for 3D, i will wait for Oppo to come out with a 3D blu player which i suspect will have 2 HDMI's one for 3d + audio and one for just audio so we can still get our HD audio from one and direct to the 3D-HDTV with the other and I'm good to go! so far, the 5507 has never given me one problem and in all this time only one no connect to pandora, i'm not looking back. mind you for folks looking to buy a pre-pro, yeah, i would tell them get the 5508 and be done with it. 5507 or 5508, Onkyo looks to have a couple of good products on their hands. very happy, very happy for 6+ months!

#35 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd /forum/post/19158620

hey richb, i own the 5507 and about a month ago i had the "cannot play" error from pandora. it turned the pre-amp on & off several times same issue but the next morning i turned it on and since then music plays fine from pandora. i am under the impression this was a pandora problem. i never had it before and haven't had it since and i listen to pandora all the time.

of course i'm not saying those folks aren't having a problem with their units but perhaps, some of the time they are experiencing a problem that's on pandora's end. wonder if you have that issue if you are using the pay service from pandora, we are getting the low-rez freebee!, just saying...

oh yeah, i love my 5507 and won't be buying the 5508 and that's not a knock at it either. i would love the option for heights & widths at the same time but it's not that important to me. as for 3D, i will wait for Oppo to come out with a 3D blu player which i suspect will have 2 HDMI's one for 3d + audio and one for just audio so we can still get our HD audio from one and direct to the 3D-HDTV with the other and I'm good to go! so far, the 5507 has never given me one problem and in all this time only one no connect to pandora, i'm not looking back. mind you for folks looking to buy a pre-pro, yeah, i would tell them get the 5508 and be done with it. 5507 or 5508, Onkyo looks to have a couple of good products on their hands. very happy, very happy for 6+ months!

My 5507 Preamp and HT-RC180 Receiver have been streaming Pandora for 9-months now with issues on only a few occasions. Those "Cannot Play" errors I would attribute to Pandora.

The 708's that I had would not properly network initialize and even when they they did, Pandora did not work well (on the same network).

- Rich

#36 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterix007 /forum/post/19152899

PR-SC5508 ordered today !

I have been looking for a new pre pro and having a little difficulty. I decided to buy the 5507 and then couldn't find one. A on-line store in state told me they were in stock and then after I ordered I found that not to be true. The company rep that I talked to said that they were told within the last few days that the 5508 would not be shipped until Oct but not to hold my breath on that estimate or the price I was quoted (seemed low to me).

I found a 5507 later in the morning and ordered it, this new company said they bought the last 40 this past Friday (at least this time I have a UPS tracking number for one so it may be real).

This will replace my trusty Denon AVR4306.

#37 ·
Just receive information from Onkyo, that 3008+5008+5508 are delayed to end of september.

Probably due to solve the Audyssey XT32 problem.

#38 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterix007 /forum/post/19159958

Just receive information from Onkyo, that 3008+5008+5508 are delayed to end of september.

Probably due to solve the Audyssey XT32 problem.

What is the problem with Audyssey XT32?

Bill

#40 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkey /forum/post/19160134

Onkyos implementation of the Audyssey MultEQ XT32 seems to have a significant bug in the current firmware for the 3008, 5008 and 5508, as reported elsewhere already.

The problem seems to be related to Onkyo not Audyssey as far as it is known...

Yes, problem in the firmware Onkyo !

#42 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo S /forum/post/19155118

Hi Kal,

Hugo

No problem to buy Integra in Holland, we have 2 Integra dealer......

#44 ·
well, looks like I'm still gonna stick with my old and trusty PR-SC886 for now.... the 5507 didn't add anything of importance to me but rather took away features (PRO installer), and the 5508 doesn't add anything extra either.

I guess I'll wait and see what 2010/2011 brings.... hoping for a new integra/onkyo pre that has a better video processor than the Reon, upgraded DACs, and some other features.

#46 ·
New Firmware :

Firmware Update TX-NR3008/5008, PR-SC5508

2010-09-17

We are pleased to offer this firmware update for the best possible performance of your AV Receiver.

TX-NR3008/5008, PR-SC5508

Improves Audyssey MultEQ XT32 processing

Enhances the operability and display of network/USB-related functions

Please carry out auto speaker setup again by using Audyssey MultEQ XT32 after upgrade.

Further information about the firmware update can be found in the service area.

http://www.eu.onkyo.com/firmware/fir...en_8722058.php

#47 ·
Just got this reply from Onkyo asking about the 5508 and Pro Installer functionality:

"The PR-SC 5507 can handle " Audyssey Pro" depending on the firmware version.

Beginning from main version 1.18

Regarding PR-SC 5508 unfortunately we do not have this info at the moment"

Which is interesting, as I think previously it had been stated that this was intended as the primariy difference between the Onkyo and equivilant Integra model.

CDJay

#48 ·
Hi to all.

Sometimes, turning on the PR-SC5508 there isn't any sound in output (similar push mute).

Then, restarting the system, sound is regularly.

Resetting the system the problem persists.

Another user updated system with latest firmware release without success.

#50 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanl715 /forum/post/19287961

CDJ...Integra will not admit to anything until the product is released and on their website ! As of today...the dhc80.1 IS the only 80 series pre-pro avail...but tomorrow is another day haha! OPro is the same...no 5508 on the 'books' either.

I did not understand what you say. In Europe there is integra mod. 80.2 that is identical to Onkyo PR-SC5508. The only difference is that Integra have 3 years warranty and onkyo 2 years. If Onkyo have problems, integra have the same issues.

#51 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronny06 /forum/post/19285583

Hi to all.

Sometimes, turning on the PR-SC5508 there isn't any sound in output (similar push mute).

Then, restarting the system, sound is regularly.

Resetting the system the problem persists.

Another user updated system with latest firmware release without success.

Hello, I have exactly same problem.

We hear mechanical relay switching, but no sound, restart unit solve problem...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.