Onkyo SC5508 Surround processor [No Price Talk] - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #721 of 2749 Old 04-15-2011, 09:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,486
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

?

Haven't you found that the individually calibrated mic resulted in closer timbre match and better surrounds/mains integration?

Jeff

I have not reported anything about the performance differences between XT32 and its use with the Pro kit....................................yet.

Kal

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #722 of 2749 Old 04-15-2011, 09:54 AM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Quintana Roo ... in my mind
Posts: 25,146
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

I have not reported anything about the performance differences between XT32 and its use with the Pro kit....................................yet.

Kal

Pregnant pause ... means .. ?

I am having some HT friends over tonite for one last listen to my system before the 5508 goes in on Monday. I plan on doing the consumer setup of XT 32 and then having them back again for some comparison listening. While they are there, I'll do a Pro cal and we'll listen again to the same material.

As anxious as I am to get the new unit, I am almost as interested to compare XT 32 to XT, and then Pro to non-Pro calibrations.

Jeff
pepar is offline  
post #723 of 2749 Old 04-15-2011, 10:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,486
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Pregnant pause ... means .. ?

See below.
Quote:


As anxious as I am to get the new unit, I am almost as interested to compare XT 32 to XT, and then Pro to non-Pro calibrations.

Me, too.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is offline  
post #724 of 2749 Old 04-15-2011, 10:12 AM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Quintana Roo ... in my mind
Posts: 25,146
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

See below.
Me, too.

Which issue will that be in?
pepar is offline  
post #725 of 2749 Old 04-15-2011, 10:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,486
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 141
July.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is offline  
post #726 of 2749 Old 04-15-2011, 10:16 AM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Quintana Roo ... in my mind
Posts: 25,146
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 163
It will be good to get your opinion on it. Will you have an opportunity to try it in more than one room/system?
pepar is offline  
post #727 of 2749 Old 04-15-2011, 10:19 AM
Member
 
audio1246's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

As alluded to in my query to Kal, I find that LCR/surround integration as well as ... amazingly enough ... mains/sub integration all to be better with a Pro calibration. And the Target Curve Editor is very useful for small tweaks. I was amazed at how much of a difference (read: improvement) something as small as a boost or cut of .5dB or even .25dB can make.

Jeff

That's interesting!
audio1246 is offline  
post #728 of 2749 Old 04-15-2011, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
FoSheezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: California
Posts: 635
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So here are some pics of my fan installation. As you can see, the breathing room above the unit was about 1/2 inch. I cut a hole in the shelf (dont worry, I built this shelf myself so its no big deal) about 9" x 6" right above the vents toward the back of the unit. I then cut another hole in the shelf above that just to give more room for the air to blow. Both components above the onkyo are short in length so they dont cover the holes.

Both fans are sitting on top of the Onkyo with little felt pads sucking the air out and up. They are running off a USB splitter from the back of the 5508, so they turn on/off with the unit. No extra AC plugs. They also have adjustable knobs so I could speed them up or down to the point where you cant hear them from the MLP.

Here are links to the fan and splitter I used:
http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Mo...2885803&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-4-Port-...2885870&sr=1-1










FoSheezy is offline  
post #729 of 2749 Old 04-15-2011, 10:45 AM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Quintana Roo ... in my mind
Posts: 25,146
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio1246 View Post

That's interesting!

I thought so, too. Seeing as Auydyssey MultEQ XT had already taken my room/system to a whole new level in those areas. I "believed" before doing a Pro cal that it would be better, though I didn't give much thought as to just *how* it would be better. Imagine my surprise when what had already impressed me ... impressed me even more!

The prime example I use is the cave escape sequence in Iron Man where Stark's assistant "buys him more time" by running out of the room with an automatic weapon. At one point he comes from the right side of the room onto the screen. My surrounds are crossed at 100Hz, and I know that there is nothing, or at least not much, below 100Hz coming from them, but yet there is the entire report of the machine gun from the highs of the percussive attack to the chest-thumping bottom of it resonating through the cave, and it is "coming from" the right surround speaker. The sound/sound effect of that machine gun is "as a whole" during the entire pan .. unchanged from right surround to right front and on to the center channel. This pulled me out of the movie the first time I heard it and continues to pull me out of the movie; I am cursed by knowing that the bottom end of the weapon's sound coming from the surround is only an illusion and I can't get beyond the technical achievement that is behind it sounding like that, that the timbre of the upper range of the sub is so well matched with the lower range of the mains.

As I watch it more, perhaps it will wear off and I will be able to enjoy the entire movie including that scene.

Jeff

edit: sorry for blathering. i see now that you might have been commenting on the 1/2 db - 1/4 dB changes ...
pepar is offline  
post #730 of 2749 Old 04-15-2011, 10:53 AM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Quintana Roo ... in my mind
Posts: 25,146
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 163
FoSheezy, I am amazed that you still have a VCR ...
pepar is offline  
post #731 of 2749 Old 04-15-2011, 10:57 AM
Member
 
audio1246's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

I thought so, too. Seeing as Auydyssey MultEQ XT had already taken my room/system to a whole new level in those areas. I "believed" before doing a Pro cal that it would be better, though I didn't give much thought as to just *how* it would be better. Imagine my surprise when what had already impressed me ... impressed me even more!

The prime example I use is the cave escape sequence in Iron Man where Stark's assistant "buys him more time" by running out of the room with an automatic weapon. At one point he comes from the right side of the room onto the screen. My surrounds are crossed at 100Hz, and I know that there is nothing, or at least not much, below 100Hz coming from them, but yet there is the entire report of the machine gun from the highs of the percussive attack to the chest-thumping bottom of it resonating through the cave, and it is "coming from" the right surround speaker. The sound/sound effect of that machine gun is "as a whole" during the entire pan .. unchanged from right surround to right front and on to the center channel. This pulled me out of the movie the first time I heard it and continues to pull me out of the movie; I am cursed by knowing that the bottom end of the weapon's sound coming from the surround is only an illusion and I can't get beyond the technical achievement that is behind it sounding like that, that the timbre of the upper range of the sub is so well matched with the lower range of the mains.

As I watch it more, perhaps it will wear off and I will be able to enjoy the entire movie including that scene.

Jeff

Wow! Thats a very detailed explanation! I did notice a huge difference between the 606 which does not have MultiEQ, and the 808 which has MultiEQ XT. The sound is more balanced and yes i do feel that the sound comes from the speakers even though its the sub that is actually producing it. Man, I love the way Audyssey works.

The only question is, is $400 worth it? I dont know!
audio1246 is offline  
post #732 of 2749 Old 04-15-2011, 10:59 AM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Quintana Roo ... in my mind
Posts: 25,146
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio1246 View Post

Wow! Thats a very detailed explanation! I did notice a huge difference between the 606 which does not have MultiEQ, and the 808 which has MultiEQ XT. The sound is more balanced and yes i do feel that the sound comes from the speakers even though its the sub that is actually producing it. Man, I love the way Audyssey works.

The only question is, is $400 worth it? I dont know!

I think you'll pay somewhat north of $400 for the kit ...unless you can find a used one ... and then $150 per license, i.e. unit to be calibrated.

Based on what I hear, it is without a doubt worth it to me!
pepar is offline  
post #733 of 2749 Old 04-15-2011, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
FoSheezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: California
Posts: 635
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

FoSheezy, I am amazed that you still have a VCR ...

lol. funny thing is, it doesnt even have a power cord. I dont even know if it works (my uncle gave it to me to sell at our last garage sale).
I put it there to fill in the last slot of my shelf.
FoSheezy is offline  
post #734 of 2749 Old 04-15-2011, 11:20 AM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Quintana Roo ... in my mind
Posts: 25,146
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoSheezy View Post

lol. funny thing is, it doesnt even have a power cord. I dont even know if it works (my uncle gave it to me to sell at our last garage sale).
I put it there to fill in the last slot of my shelf.

I'm not sure whether you gain or lose points for that.
pepar is offline  
post #735 of 2749 Old 04-15-2011, 12:36 PM
Member
 
pdjmwj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Mount Airy MD
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi, looking at this prepro and was wondering if you can have separate input video upscaling?

Can input Blu-Ray be set passthru and input SAT be set upscaled to 1080p and can these settings be maintained?

I had an 885 which could not and I have a Denon 4310 in it's place which can until I decide which av preamp to replace with.

thanks....

Lifes a beach and then you die....
pdjmwj is offline  
post #736 of 2749 Old 04-15-2011, 12:37 PM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Quintana Roo ... in my mind
Posts: 25,146
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdjmwj View Post

Hi, looking at this prepro and was wondering if you can have separate input video upscaling?

Can input Blu-Ray be set passthru and input SAT be set upscaled to 1080p and can these settings be maintained?

I had an 885 which could not and I have a Denon 4310 in it's place until I decide which av preamp to replace with.

thanks....

Don't have this unit yet .. still nursing my 885 for a few more days, but I seem to remember per-input video settings being added in the 886....
pepar is offline  
post #737 of 2749 Old 04-15-2011, 03:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,486
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

It will be good to get your opinion on it. Will you have an opportunity to try it in more than one room/system?

Not for this report.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is offline  
post #738 of 2749 Old 04-15-2011, 04:12 PM
 
mjf_uk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Not for this report.

Is this report on XT vs XT32? Or the 5508 in particular? I'm guessing it's XT vs XT32, as the 5508 is now pretty much discontinued (except for one last batch) and then we have to wait it out until August (maybe September) for the 5509.
mjf_uk is offline  
post #739 of 2749 Old 04-15-2011, 05:07 PM
Senior Member
 
e2g_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf_uk View Post

as the 5508 is now pretty much discontinued (except for one last batch) and then we have to wait it out until August (maybe September) for the 5509.

wait what? discontinued? where are the rock bottom prices then?
e2g_ is offline  
post #740 of 2749 Old 04-15-2011, 06:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,581
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2g_ View Post

wait what? discontinued? where are the rock bottom prices then?

I think the rock bottom prices like with the 885 and 886 from shoponkyo ended with the 886. I never saw the 5507 being sold on shoponkyo and doubt the 5508 will be either. Maybe Onkyo over produced both the 885 and the 886 causing the sell off at very low prices. Maybe the 5507 and the 5508 were produced in limited numbers so there is not an overstock to be sold off.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is offline  
post #741 of 2749 Old 04-15-2011, 06:34 PM
Member
 
audio1246's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I got my 5508 today, and it looks great. I have yet to do the Audyssey calibration. I have my doubts about this NOT being a 100% brand new unit. Here's why i think so:

1. The bottom portion of the box that the unit came in is taped twice and the staple pins are in a different spot (can see the orginal holes)
2. The cover on the unit seems to have a slight bulge on the sides - one can press the sides and feel that the sides go in - the cover is not flush with the bottom. The 808 does not feel that way
3. The sides on the cover (edges) are not super smooth - I can see some wavy lines.

The paint and everything else is perfect - no scratches or anything at all.

How do your units look like?

Also, the serial number on the unit has an additional alphabet - "C" Does it mean anything at all? I hope I did not get a refurbished unit.

Please help. I am going paranoid!!!
audio1246 is offline  
post #742 of 2749 Old 04-15-2011, 08:07 PM
Senior Member
 
e2g_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I think the rock bottom prices like with the 885 and 886 from shoponkyo ended with the 886. I never saw the 5507 being sold on shoponkyo and doubt the 5508 will be either. Maybe Onkyo over produced both the 885 and the 886 causing the sell off at very low prices. Maybe the 5507 and the 5508 were produced in limited numbers so there is not an overstock to be sold off.

Bill

I see...so do you know if there has been an official annoucement that they have ceased production or is it just signs everywhere about it not being available?
e2g_ is offline  
post #743 of 2749 Old 04-15-2011, 08:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,486
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf_uk View Post

Is this report on XT vs XT32? Or the 5508 in particular? I'm guessing it's XT vs XT32, as the 5508 is now pretty much discontinued (except for one last batch) and then we have to wait it out until August (maybe September) for the 5509.

It is a report on the DHC-80.2 The rest of the information will be in the report.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is offline  
post #744 of 2749 Old 04-15-2011, 08:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,581
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2g_ View Post

I see...so do you know if there has been an official annoucement that they have ceased production or is it just signs everywhere about it not being available?

I have no idea if Onkyo has ceased production of the 5508 or the 80.2. But if the 5509 or the 80.3 (guessing on the model numbers) will not be available till later in the year I would think production would still be in ongoing.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is offline  
post #745 of 2749 Old 04-16-2011, 04:37 AM
 
mjf_uk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2g_ View Post
wait what? discontinued? where are the rock bottom prices then?
They don't manufacture the Processor in such large quantities as the Receivers, so you probably won't see the kind of clearance deals on the 5508 as you would on the 3008/5008. Except for ex-demo stock of course.
mjf_uk is offline  
post #746 of 2749 Old 04-16-2011, 04:38 AM
 
mjf_uk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2g_ View Post
I see...so do you know if there has been an official annoucement that they have ceased production or is it just signs everywhere about it not being available?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
I have no idea if Onkyo has ceased production of the 5508 or the 80.2. But if the 5509 or the 80.3 (guessing on the model numbers) will not be available till later in the year I would think production would still be in ongoing.

Bill
Onkyo are producing one last batch of the 5508 any time now, then that's it.
mjf_uk is offline  
post #747 of 2749 Old 04-16-2011, 08:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,581
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf_uk View Post
Onkyo are producing one last batch of the 5508 any time now, then that's it.
Insider information? How many in a batch?

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is offline  
post #748 of 2749 Old 04-16-2011, 10:46 AM
 
mjf_uk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Insider information? How many in a batch?

Bill

I'm not sure how many, but the UK stock is already spoken for.
mjf_uk is offline  
post #749 of 2749 Old 04-16-2011, 11:20 AM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Quintana Roo ... in my mind
Posts: 25,146
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf_uk View Post

I'm not sure how many, but the UK stock is already spoken for.

Really? Who says?
pepar is offline  
post #750 of 2749 Old 04-16-2011, 03:46 PM
 
mjf_uk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Really? Who says?

I imagine it would be the guy who is in charge of allocating the stock for the UK.
mjf_uk is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Pr Sc5507 Pre Amplifier Home Theater Av Controller Preamp 9 2 Channel New
Gear in this thread - Sc5507 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off