post #61 of 2743 Old 10-10-2010, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yves Smolders View Post

As a long time Denon user, I have a question about PR-SC5508 - and Onkyo in general.

Denon remembers surround modes based not only on input, but also audio format.

For example I'm having a PS3 on one of the inputs, and it automatically does the following (because I set it once)

* 2 channel 176khz in (PS3 upsampling for CD's) - Direct
* 5.1 channel LPCM - Audissey engaged
* 2 channel 48khz - Audissey engaged + prologic decoding

This is very handy as I never have to get the remote and change surround parameters.

Does Onkyo have a similar system?

Hi Yves,

The Onkyo has a similar function.

Here is an excerpt from page 58 of the manual describing the Listening Mode Preset function.

Quote:

Listening Mode Preset

You can assign a default listening mode to each input
source that will be selected automatically when you select
each input source. For example, you can set the default listening
mode to be used with Dolby Digital input signals.
You can select other listening modes during playback, but
the mode specified here will be resumed once the AV controller
has been set to Standby.

However, for Audyssey it is either on or off for all applicable listening modes.

For certain listening modes, such as Direct and Pure Audio, Audyssey is disabled.

For other listening modes, say Stereo, if you had previously decided to enable Audyssey, you couldn't preset the Stereo listening mode for no Audyssey if you enabled it for other listening modes. You would have to manually go into the Audyssey menus and turn it off.

The manual goes on to explain how the preset function works. In summary, you first select the Input Source Device, i.e. BD/DVD, VCR/DVR, etc. Then you select each Input Signal Format, i.e. Analog/PCM, 2ch Source, etc., and for each combination of Input Source Device and Input Signal Format you have the option of selecting from many available Listening Modes. You can also opt to select “Last Valid” for the last permited Listening Mode for the source format, or “Straight Decode” which means that no additional processing is applied to the input, it just decodes the signal.

Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2743 Old 10-10-2010, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Thank you - that mode seems similar. Too bad one can't testdrive these expensive machines before buying.

Yves
post #63 of 2743 Old 10-10-2010, 10:40 AM

Liked: 11
Do websites actually sell the 5507 or 5508? I can't find it anywhere. Is this a dealer only thing like Integra?
post #64 of 2743 Old 10-10-2010, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jruser View Post

Do websites actually sell the 5507 or 5508? I can't find it anywhere. Is this a dealer only thing like Integra?

Onkyo and Onkyo Pro dealers will have access to these models including (I'm sure) some web based sites.

My Distributor has posted me that both are in stock and one even still has some 886 models, so you should start seeing them soon.

Regards,

John
CENTURY CITY AV
post #65 of 2743 Old 10-10-2010, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkey View Post

Its your choice, to have last mode selected or a preset default modes for every input.

Hi,

For every Input Source Device/Input Source Format combination the user has the choice of a preset default listening mode, or the last permited mode, or a straight decode of the input format.

Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #66 of 2743 Old 10-12-2010, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Sorry if this is a nono to ask, but is there even a ballpark MSRP anywhere for this sucker?

-Chuck
post #67 of 2743 Old 10-12-2010, 11:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by impala454 View Post

Sorry if this is a nono to ask, but is there even a ballpark MSRP anywhere for this sucker?

http://www.gspr.com/onkyo/onkyo3thx.html

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

post #68 of 2743 Old 10-12-2010, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Awesome thanks!

-Chuck
post #69 of 2743 Old 10-13-2010, 01:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Holy cow, MSRP 2150 usd, i guess it will
have to wait until they show up used for half
that on the falsifieds section or Audiogon.

WTF, i will end up a second hand Onkyo/Integra
processor owner forever, on my third piece right now.

My system:
post #70 of 2743 Old 10-14-2010, 10:54 PM

Been running my 5508 for a week or so now; still building my system though. Got it pushing some Adam Audio S3X's (h's and v's) and I'm doing the 8 18" Fi IB3 drivers next (two sets of four for each sub output). Haven't dived into the Audessy yet, and been generally satisfied till it started dropping audio today with the directv input...but that may have been a directv receiver issue. Didn't like that the preset listening mode was stereo for bd input of DTS but got that rectified (changed the preset and it's working fine now).
post #71 of 2743 Old 10-15-2010, 01:07 AM

Liked: 16
Looking hard at the 5508, but some useability concerns compared to my Denon 4308.

First as asked before in this thread, can anyone confirm it does the following:

I have my BluRay player on DVD input. When i play a movie the Denon will default to 'direct' whatever surround mode it receives. 5.1 DTS and the receiver will set that mode. If it receives a stereo signal (ie I play a CD), it will default to the last stereo surround mode i used, Pro Logic or IIz or whatever I used for stereo surround last, on any input.
As I see it, Denon remember modes based on input signal, across selected inputs. So a mode change for a certain input format is global. Does the 5508 do this, or will it default to whatever surround mode is set on THAT input?

My denon has global Audyssey mode. I think the 5508 have the same?

Will the 5508 do Audyssey in any 'direct' stereo mode? My Denon can do Audyssey in any mode, and I use it all the time. No 'Direct' or 'Pure direct' Audyssey is a showstopper for me.

Any pictures of the GUI anywhere?

"Unplugging the signal cable is pretty much the ultimate in component isolation. Now if you removed the AC power and it still did it you should look for the little blond girl saying "they're he-re."
post #72 of 2743 Old 10-15-2010, 02:33 AM

Some of what you ask makes no sense!

On the 5508 for each input you can select the default sound mode for each signal it recieves. You can set Audyssey globally but you can set dynamic EQ on or off per input.

When you change inputs, the Onkyo will default to the processing that you have set as default for that sound for that input.

Direct and Pure Audio are modes without ANY processing. So therefore your Denon is doing something wrong. Audyssey is active in stereo mode.
post #73 of 2743 Old 10-15-2010, 02:41 AM

Direct on my denon is all tone controls and EQ besides Audyssey is off. Pure Direct is everything off, including display and video circuits, but Audyssey is still active. Which makes sense to me, because as long as you have bass management and stuff, the processor is still on and doing it's thing, so it may as well run Audyssey too. I like the option, and use it all the time.

So the 5508 will not let me switch off video circuits and all the other unneeded stuff in any directmode and still have Audyssey? What about bass management? Is Pure direct a 2channel, no DSP, no nothing mode?

"Unplugging the signal cable is pretty much the ultimate in component isolation. Now if you removed the AC power and it still did it you should look for the little blond girl saying "they're he-re."
post #74 of 2743 Old 10-15-2010, 02:58 AM

In Pure Audio everything is off (including sub, video, processing). In Direct everything excluding video is off (including sub, processing).
post #75 of 2743 Old 10-15-2010, 03:02 AM

Ok, thank you. That probably means I won't get it, then. Dang, i was hoping this was the replacement I've been looking for, to be honest. Oh well, they can't please everyone!

post #76 of 2743 Old 10-15-2010, 08:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atledreier View Post

So the 5508 will not let me switch off video circuits and all the other unneeded stuff in any directmode and still have Audyssey? What about bass management? Is Pure direct a 2channel, no DSP, no nothing mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras1011 View Post

In Pure Audio everything is off (including sub, video, processing). In Direct everything excluding video is off (including sub, processing).

Quote:

Ok, thank you. That probably means I won't get it, then. Dang, i was hoping this was the replacement I've been looking for, to be honest. Oh well, they can't please everyone!

How big a difference have you found with the video on/off to make this a game-breaker? I fiddled with that option for a while on a number of processors but soon completely forgot about it. I just turn off the display for audio most (but not all) of the time and, oh, rarely ever use "direct."

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #77 of 2743 Old 10-15-2010, 12:32 PM

The dealbreaker is lack of bass management in the direct modes. I can not see how they think excluding anyone without full range fronts from the direct mode benefits. Not many have true fullrange fronts in a setup where the 5508 is a natural component.
The video processing is probably not that noisy anyway.
Also, skipping Audyssey for these modes? With the direct modes you Are more critical than ever, and your room will not magically stop influencing the sound.

post #78 of 2743 Old 10-15-2010, 01:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The dealbreaker is lack of bass management in the direct modes. I can not see how they think excluding anyone without full range fronts from the direct mode benefits. Not many have true fullrange fronts in a setup where the 5508 is a natural component.

Hmmm. What are you trying to accomplish with "direct?" Generally, it is for those who wish to avoid any processing and, imho, that includes the dsp used for bass management. Actually, I do use "direct" for exactly that reason as it allows me to A/B full-range vs. bass-managed, particularly with stereo sources.

Quote:

The video processing is probably not that noisy anyway.

Agreed or, at least, it should not be.

Quote:

Also, skipping Audyssey for these modes? With the direct modes you Are more critical than ever, and your room will not magically stop influencing the sound.

Sure but, again, what is the purpose of "direct" if not to avoid processing? And, certainly, Audyssey is the big elephant in that room.

Frankly, I see "direct" as useful only for testing/comparison, use with analog sources and as a sop to the old-fashioned who think that, as with analog, adding any additional process/device is detrimental. I'll take Audyssey (or the equivalent) over direct any time.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #79 of 2743 Old 10-15-2010, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm assuming that Audyssey is not applied to the 7.1 analog inputs, just digital?
post #80 of 2743 Old 10-16-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Hauser View Post

I'm assuming that Audyssey is not applied to the 7.1 analog inputs, just digital?

Do you mean eq is not applied? Audyssey is the program that determines the EQ settings. (and the dynamic eq settings as well)

I've poured through the manual (located here: http://www.intl.onkyo.com/downloads/...8_manual_e.pdf) and I'm not sure some of the statements here are correct. I can't see where eq is turned off for either mode (or bass management, for that matter). Here's the quote for each mode:

Pure Audio- In this mode, the display and video circuitry are turned off, minimizing possible noise sources for the ultimate in high-fidelity audio reproduction. (As the video circuitry is turned off, only video signals input through HDMI input can be output from an HDMI output(s).

Direct-In this mode, audio from the input source is output without surround-sound processing. The speaker configuration (presence of speakers), speaker distances and A/V Sync settings are enabled, but much of the processing set via HOME is disabled. See Advanced Setup for more details (➔ 43).

Also, you've some choices of what does get included when Direct or Pure Audio mode is chosen. Here's more info:

Direct
■Analog
Subwoofer
􀁠Off:
Analog audio signals (bass signals) are not output.
􀁠On:
Analog audio signals (bass signals) are output.
This setting determines whether or not analog audio signals
(bass signals) are output from front speakers when the
Pure Audio or Direct listening mode is selected.

■DSD
DAC Direct
􀁠Off:
DSD signals are processed by the DSP.
􀁠On:
DSD signals are not processed by the DSP.
This setting determines whether or not DSD (Super Audio
CD) audio signals are passed through the DSP for A/V
Sync, delay, etc., processing when the Pure Audio or
Direct listening mode is selected.
Note
Once you have selected On, only DAC Direct will be available
for selection.

Hope this helps somewhat.
post #81 of 2743 Old 10-16-2010, 08:49 AM

Is there other user's who havec this problem ?

If yes, please make complaints to Onkyo because they answer that i'm the only one who have this problem !

Thanks !

Par Toutatis !
Asterix !
post #82 of 2743 Old 10-17-2010, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobyhughey View Post

Do you mean eq is not applied? Audyssey is the program that determines the EQ settings. (and the dynamic eq settings as well)

Yes, that's what I'm after. I would use the 7.1 analog inputs for my DVDA/SACD player but would like to take advantage of the Audyssey room correction. If it can only be applied though the HDMI input (for DVDA/SACD playback) than I would by an Oppo 93 when it's available.
post #83 of 2743 Old 10-18-2010, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobyhughey View Post

Also, you've some choices of what does get included when Direct or Pure Audio mode is chosen. Here's more info:

Direct
■Analog
Subwoofer
Off:
Analog audio signals (bass signals) are not output.
On:
Analog audio signals (bass signals) are output.
This setting determines whether or not analog audio signals
(bass signals) are output from front speakers when the Pure Audio or Direct listening mode is selected.

Hi Coby,

Thanks for the reference.

It seems to be saying that in either the Off or On setting bass is not being output from the Subwoofer.

What is your interpretation of what this means?

In which menu is this feature set?

Thanks.

Larry

post #84 of 2743 Old 10-18-2010, 12:24 PM

To me that seems to indicate you do indeed have bass management in the direct modes.

post #85 of 2743 Old 10-18-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryChanin View Post

Hi Coby,

Thanks for the reference.

It seems to be saying that in either the Off or On setting bass is not being output from the Subwoofer.

What is your interpretation of what this means?

In which menu is this feature set?

Thanks.

Larry

I think you're right; but once I build my subwoofer setup later this week I'll do some experimentation to find out some answers on several things. We know how things go when a non american company translates a users manual into English sometimes. Lots can get lost or confused.
post #86 of 2743 Old 10-18-2010, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

To me that seems to indicate you do indeed have bass management in the direct modes.

Hi,

Let's hope that's what Onkyo meant, but what they actually describe in the manual is a situation without the subwoofer being active for either setting. As you know you've got to have an active subwoofer to have bass management.

Hopefully Coby will be able to clarify this feature after he does some experimentation.

Larry

post #87 of 2743 Old 10-21-2010, 06:26 AM

It's on the Onkyo USA website now: PR-SC5508
post #88 of 2743 Old 10-21-2010, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 247
I am not considering the 5508 until I get reports on the networking.

They seemed to have messed up the networking in the 8 line.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #89 of 2743 Old 10-22-2010, 03:08 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The USA Onkyo websites states:

Auto Speaker Calibration w/ Mic.-Audyssey MultEQ XT32(MultEQ Pro Ready)

I am assuming this mean it is "installer Ready"? Nothing yet on the Audyssey website on any functionality for this unit.
post #90 of 2743 Old 10-22-2010, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenbr View Post

The USA Onkyo websites states:

Auto Speaker Calibration w/ Mic.-Audyssey MultEQ XT32(MultEQ Pro Ready)

I am assuming this mean it is "installer Ready"? Nothing yet on the Audyssey website on any functionality for this unit.

Hi Stephen,

While it is true that currently the Onkyo websites, both the Onkyo the Onkyo Professional websites, state that the 5508 is MultEQ Pro Ready, it should be pointed out that when the 5507 was initially released it's documentation also stated that it was MultEQ Pro Ready, yet later the websites were revised to omit this feature. To date there is no credible information confirming that the 5507 is Installer-Ready. So if MultEQ Pro functionality is important to you, I would wait a bit for a user to confirm this rather than relying on Onkyo documentation.

Audyssey admits that version 3.4 of the MultEQ Pro software has not yet been released by Audyssey. So the latest models that are MultEQ Pro Ready, i.e. Denon AVR-4311, Integra DHC-80.2, etc., still can't use this feature even if they possess the necessary firmware.

Rumor has it that Audyssey will be releasing version 3.4 of the MultEQ Pro software in November. So until this software is finally released we shouldn't expect to see any of the newer Installer-Ready devices, including the Onkyo PR-SC5508, listed on the Audyssey website

Larry

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Pr Sc5507 Pre Amplifier Home Theater Av Controller Preamp 9 2 Channel New
Gear in this thread - Sc5507 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page