Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

I completely missed the "veil."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Well to be honest going from the 706 to a non "upgraded" 5508 should give improvements in SQ if you are familiar with both processors. To be honest if you were just interested in opinions of others going from one processor as the 706 to the 5508 there was no need to mention TUC or burn in time. You chose to mention that and with TUC's "colorful" history here on AVS you would understand my "veiled jocular cynicism".

Not to be combative but I will never understand why anyone would have an audio component "modded" without even listening to it. By doing this one has no way of knowing if the "mods" done have improved SQ in the least. Doesn't make any sense to me at all.

I will now put my veil and jock back on.

Bill

The mention of TUC/burn in was to id the specifics of the switch. I agree, but there were other considerations other than SQ. I have tried to stay on the "side" and learn from you guys but my attempt to confirm the reality of my exuberance over immediate SQ difference got me into this. I guess that if a platform that is "built to a price point" is so well accepted, there may be the possibility of not reaching "zero sum gain" by investing in "modding" it. To some no sense at all but to others long term investment sense.
Ivan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2011, 11:43 AM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 164
I have no doubt that it sounds stunning!

Jeff
Old 05-12-2011, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for the reply guys, it is not getting to me dropping the 4311 (despite the nice GUI, I think I can live without it) and deciding between 3008 (to save some cash) or the 5508...provided that I can find a dealer who offers me a good price. I am talking about a $400 - $450 (or less of course ) price difference between the 3008 and 5508.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio1246 View Post
I minimize relay clicks on my 5508 by setting the listening mode preset to "Direct" mode for 2 channel audio. My UVerse DVR is nasty at doing audio dropouts for non HD channels.
It seems Uverse and DirecTv have the biggest problems with dropouts and relay clicks. I would switch out of Directv but the NFL Sunday ticket has me by the short hairs.

I tried all the suggestions to alleviate the problem but after awhile I gave up and went back to my 886 which is as quiet as a church mouse.

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
Old 05-13-2011, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaudio View Post

It seems Uverse and DirecTv have the biggest problems with dropouts and relay clicks. I would switch out of Directv but the NFL Sunday ticket has me by the short hairs.

I tried all the suggestions to alleviate the problem but after awhile I gave up and went back to my 886 which is as quiet as a church mouse.

Interesting ...all this clicking being talked about
Surely Onkyo has to realize that this is an issue
Perhaps an upgrade they will include in the next series?

I have Direc TV as well...and have the 885
The 5508 is on my short list...but the information I am hearing makes me think if I am going to buy it...and live with its faults..it need to be under $1K

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5509 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
Old 05-13-2011, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post

Perhaps an upgrade they will include in the next series?

I have Direc TV as well...and have the 885
The 5508 is on my short list...but the information I am hearing makes me think if I am going to buy it...and live with its faults..it need to be under $1K

Warren

If it's far enough away from the main LP or in an enclosed cabinet then it's not a big deal. My 80.1 was about 15 feet away from my LP and the clicking was way too loud for me. My friend uses the 80.1 and also has DirecTv but he doesn't have the same trouble but his components are in a closet.

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
Old 05-13-2011, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post

Here's something else: using Pandora built into the 5508, Pandora clicks between every song. But, when I listen to Pandora on my WDTV Live Hub (which is connected to the 5508 through HDMI) there is no clicking whatsoever.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

it's either an earthing issue or it's a source issue with playback..

i'd say look at your signal from cable box, I suspect click might be due to signal quality of service, or it's the constant back and forth motion from 5.1 channel 2.0 stereo mode, you'll need to make a choice use standard audio codecs or choose to run plIIx as this may correct any trouble you are having watching tv station that have adverts on them..
if you're goign to watch dedicated movies you can always switch it back, with cd and dvd media you're pretty much in the of the reproduction process of the disc itself. poor quality disc expect to hear pits and whistles in playback..
same with blue ray. quality can be hit and miss pretty much...
Old 05-14-2011, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
I have an Integra DHC 80.2 and am wondering if anyone has had a chance to compare it to the SC5508.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bslep View Post
I have an Integra DHC 80.2 and am wondering if anyone has had a chance to compare it to the SC5508.
Would you really expect any difference between the 2?
Old 05-14-2011, 10:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
There should be no difference at all. The only difference I can think of is the 5508 has a Pure Audio mode that the 80.2 does not have. I could never understand why the Onkyos have the Pure Audio mode and the Integras do not.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:54 PM
Wireless member

Quote:

The 5508 is better. On the 80.2 thread, the 80.2 is better.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf_uk View Post

Would you really expect any difference between the 2?

Hi,

Of course, there's a huge difference between the two prepros.

The Integra has a silver volume knob and the Onkyo has a black volume knob!!

Larry
Old 05-14-2011, 02:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryChanin View Post

The Integra has a silver volume knob and the Onkyo has a black volume knob!!
Larry

I have read a silver volume knob will add increased clarity and a broader soundstage over a black volume knob. Thats why I painted my 886's volume knob silver. It makes a huge difference IMO.

Bill

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

I have read a silver volume knob will add increased clarity and a broader soundstage over a black volume knob. Thats why I painted my 886's volume knob silver. It makes a huge difference IMO.

Bill

Thought I got on a comedian forum when I read all the replies. Don't lose your day jobs guys. The Upgrade Company's website claims that the 5508 is built to "Pro" standards unlike the 80.2. I was curious if anyone had a chance to compare the two. Tough crowd.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:

The Upgrade Company's website claims that the 5508 is built to "Pro" standards unlike the 80.2.

Well, the 5508 does have that front panel door.............

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Old 05-15-2011, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Bill

And your silver knob now goes up to 11 right...

-Tony
Old 05-15-2011, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

I am looking at getting the following:

-----------------------------------------------

Choice A

Onkyo PR-SC5508- THX Ultra2 Plus Certified, 9.2-Channel Network A/V
PA-MC5500- THX Ultra2 9-Channel Power Amplifier

Retail: $3898.00

---------------------------------------------

Choice B

TX-NR5008- THX Ultra2 Plus Certified 3-D Ready 9.2 Channel Network Receiver

Retail $2700

----------------------------------------------

I just CAN'T decide if the separates are worth the extra $1300. Other than weight the specs are IDENTICAL. Same features, same power, etc.

So what do I get for the $1300 AND well I ever be able to tell the difference? I like the simplicity, one box solution vs two, and the lack of hook-up cables for the receiver. Also, it seams you will get a "cleaner" signal by not having to use RCA cables to hook up the amp.

Lastly, should I use XLR or RCA cables? The XLR are nearly twice as much as RCA. Any difference? I highly doubt either unit is truly balanced end to end.

Please help me decide!

Thanks,

-Brian

Brian R. Smith
Old 05-15-2011, 02:10 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bghead8che View Post

So what do I get for the $1300 AND well I ever be able to tell the difference? I like the simplicity, one box solution vs two, and the lack of hook-up cables for the receiver. Also, it seams you will get a "cleaner" signal by not having to use RCA cables to hook up the amp.

Lastly, should I use XLR or RCA cables? The XLR are nearly twice as much as RCA. Any difference? I highly doubt either unit is truly balanced end to end.

Please help me decide!

The only time balanced lines are needed are for long runs and/or in high RF/EMI environments. Absent those, you are wasting your money. I will add that some people cite the more positive locking mechanism of XLR connectors, but my reply is that I rarely move my gear so that's not an issue for me.

Cables between pre/pro and power amp vs. internal wiring? Well, I know my cables are well made and shielded. I'd guess that a high end AVR is properly designed as well, but I don't know for sure.

That's my take on your issues.

Jeff
Old 05-15-2011, 02:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bghead8che View Post

I just CAN'T decide if the separates are worth the extra $1300. Other than weight the specs are IDENTICAL. Same features, same power, etc.

Brian,

The 5008 is a fine AVR. I would suggest if you are leaning towards separates look at amps from Emotiva or used on Audiogon. No real need to match the 5508 with the Onkyo amp unless you want the look of matched components.

Bill

Old 05-15-2011, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

The only time balanced lines are needed are for long runs and/or in high RF/EMI environments. Absent those, you are wasting your money. I will add that some people cite the more positive locking mechanism of XLR connectors, but my reply is that I rarely move my gear so that's not an issue for me.

Cables between pre/pro and power amp vs. internal wiring? Well, I know my cables are well made and shielded. I'd guess that a high end AVR is properly designed as well, but I don't know for sure.

Jeff

Internal connections may be subject to RF pickup. In addition power supplies for receivers are almost never as robust as separate amps. You will need to look at the 7 or 9 channel all on spec to make comparisons
Old 05-15-2011, 03:28 PM
Wireless member

I was trying to be Fair and Balanced.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

I was trying to be Fair and Balanced.

you were being fair and balanced.

I thought I was providing some more details so that a fair and balanced study would lead perhaps to an accurate assessment.

Is there an AVR on the market that can drive 7 speakers at once at 200 watts with less than 0.1 thd distortion?
Old 05-15-2011, 04:22 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

you were being fair and balanced.

I thought I was providing some more details so that a fair and balanced study would lead perhaps to an accurate assessment.

Is there an AVR on the market that can drive 7 speakers at once at 200 watts with less than 0.1 thd distortion?

I don't think I've ever seen the power amp sections of AVRs tested/rated the way component power amps are. To me, that speaks volumes.

Jeff
Old 05-15-2011, 05:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

yup sadly i would have to say a power amp is vastly superior to what avr amp section, as most 7.x channel use a 3x4 2 toroidal amp configuration.

maybe if they used 1 toroidal per speaker you may see a better comparison between a power amp and avr's amp section, until that happens we will continue to see full rate of power vs half to 3 quarters power driven over seven channels... loosing between 15-25 watts per channel all channels driven..
Old 05-15-2011, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:

I have a Oppo BDP-95 connected to a 5507 preamp with both the RCA and XLR connections. For 2 channel music, they sound different. A bit better bass extension with the XLR. I do not think it has anything to do with the cable, my guess is the Preamp is handling them differently.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Parasound A51 Black (for sale) | Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 & A31 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
Old 05-15-2011, 09:00 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

I have a Oppo BDP-95 connected to a 5507 preamp with both the RCA and XLR connections. For 2 channel music, they sound different. A bit better bass extension with the XLR. I do not think it has anything to do with the cable, my guess is the Preamp is handling them differently.

- Rich

They operate at different signal levels .. balanced is 6dB higher. I would have thought that that would have been compensated for, but maybe not and that would result in the balanced being louder and account for the fuller sound.

Jeff
Old 05-15-2011, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:

They operate at different signal levels .. balanced is 6dB higher. I would have thought that that would have been compensated for, but maybe not and that would result in the balanced being louder and account for the fuller sound.

Jeff

The levels are compensated for.
However, the signal paths are different. Listening modes can be applied to the XLR but not the 7.1 analog. That would suggest that the 7.1 could be cleaner since the signal cannot be digitized.

This is a noticeable but small difference. My point is that these can sound different for many reasons and probably not the cable.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Parasound A51 Black (for sale) | Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 & A31 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
Old 05-16-2011, 08:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

while you might not to much from player to processor, from processor to amp you will notice it more.. pending on the speaker you're driving and speaker configuration you're using..

xlr will be better in the long run, given it has a ground wire..

you may even get a better sound if you go xlr to the speakers

though the amp you use will need to support xlr output
Old 05-16-2011, 08:24 AM
Wireless member

How is that better than the grounded shield of an unbalanced cable?

Tags
Onkyo Pr Sc5507 Pre Amplifier Home Theater Av Controller Preamp 9 2 Channel New
Gear in this thread - Sc5507 by PriceGrabber.com