AVS Forum banner

Onkyo SC5508 Surround processor [No Price Talk]

231K views 3K replies 218 participants last post by  GeorgeHolland 
#1 ·
#804 ·
Can someone please tell me the latest firmware version on the PR-SC5508? I tried to update the firmware using the Net and getting a message that the NO Update. The unit was brought in mid Feb and showing the current version as 1051-0400-0310-2101. I having issues with the iPod/iPhone play using USB as it shuts down every 15-20 minutes. I did enough Google search and also called Onkyo but they could not help much or told they had no system to give me the latest version no.

#808 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar /forum/post/20342240

Please don't feed the trolls, mystic or otherwise.

My apologies
. I will refrain from doing so in the future. I just could not resist and thought for a brief moment I might actually get a response with answers to my questions. Highly doubtful I'm sure

Bill

#811 ·
Hi guys. I followed Jeff (pepar) over here from the Audyssey thread (Hi Jeff!) as I really hadn't known of this model. In my seemingly endless upgrade quest, XT32 is next on the list. Thus I've been thinking about replacing my Denon AVR4310 with a AVR4311, just awaiting close-out pricing. I have an Emotiva XPA5 driving Dali Helicon 400s, so I could go to separates with a pre/pro like this 5508 rather than an AVR; I'd just need another 2 channel amp for the surrounds as I'm running 7.1 DSX wides.

I have a few questions:

1. Anyone care to comment on this unit vs the 4311 irt DACs, build quality & overall SQ?

2. Has anyone looked into the "Pro Signature Upgrade Edition" from the Upgrade Co? Is that a lot of audiophile hooey?

3. With the XLR input on the 5508, I'd also consider upgrading my Oppo BDP83SE to a 95 which has nicer DACs and a true XLR stereo output, but considering that I use Audyssey in the Pre/pro would using XLR there even matter to SQ? Currently I like the stereo analog output of the 83SE via RCA redigitized in the Denon for DSP slightly better than digital output to the Denon via HDMI. I attribute this to better DACs in the Oppo and can't really explain it, but I level-matched for A/B comparisons.

TIA.

#812 ·
2. It's not hooey to the believers. But I bought the 5508 for the incredible value that it is .... I am coming from that other incredible value from the recent past, the 885 ... not for a platform to spend more $$$ on in an attempt to morph it into an esoteric unit.

Qualifying my opinion a bit, I came (previously) from an Integra Research RDC-7 to the 885. At that point in my audiophile-ness I was interested mostly in surround sound cinema and had left high end vinyl behind. (Believe me, I had traveled that path in spades.). The 885 was a lateral step digital audio-wise IMO from the RDC-7, but brought HDMI to the table and the latest lossless formats. To my ears, and with the somewhat limited listening I have done so far, the 5508 bests the RDC-7 in audio quality and takes the best of what I remember from high-quality virgin vinyl, mc cartridges, mc phono preamps, tube preamps, yadda yadda yadda, and brings it to 7.1 surround.

Jeff

#813 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar /forum/post/20345603

To my ears, and with the somewhat limited listening I have done so far, the 5508 bests the RDC-7 in audio quality and takes the best of what I remember from high-quality virgin vinyl, mc cartridges, mc phono preamps, tube preamps, yadda yadda yadda, and brings it to 7.1 surround.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Is this SQ comparison without PRO on 5508?

I'm little unhappy with UPS because they would not let me pick up the unit today(Saturday). They say that they have to make at least one attempt to deliver before I can go to the UPS facility to pickup the unit.

#814 ·
^Good points, Jeff. I'm not really a believer, more of a skeptic.
There are also pricey mods available for the Oppo players, but I am inclined to think that there are severely diminishing returns in SQ improvements per dollar spent when modding good components. I am trying to optimize a single system for stereo & MC music as well as for film, within the limitations of my room, while basically bargain hunting for reasonably high quality and high value components.

I'm not doing vinyl either, just shiney discs, but I am looking into FLAC files.

#815 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1000
Hi Jeff,

Is this SQ comparison without PRO on 5508?
At this point, without Pro. I expect to do a Pro cal Sunday afternoon or evening and save the files before I redo the consumer calibration. The home theater gang is coming Monday evening to evaluate the 5508/MultEQ XT 32 vs the 885/MultEQ XT/Pro. Then I'll load the pre-rolled Pro cal and we'll listen to that.

Jeff

#817 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar
At this point, without Pro. I expect to do a Pro cal Sunday afternoon or evening and save the files before I redo the consumer calibration. The home theater gang is coming Monday evening to evaluate the 5508/MultEQ XT 32 vs the 885/MultEQ XT/Pro. Then I'll load the pre-rolled Pro cal and we'll listen to that.

Jeff
I thought you sold the 885?

#818 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar
I've read a bit about the relay clicks .. isn't that fixed by selecting the same listening modes for all source formats?

Jeff
It helps, but it's no guarantee. I get the most egregious clicking when listening to Pandora Radio. Clicks between every song. But that's the extreme example. No clicks in the middle of discs (blu, DVD, or CD), and I don't notice it on DirecTV, where they can occur between programs and commercials, because I DVR everything.

#819 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf_uk
I thought you sold the 885?
I did, but these guys are very familiar with my theater as I am with theirs. The comparison with the 885 will from memory with one of them, Dennis (DMark1) having been there a few days ago. It's not scientific, but I trust their ears enough to value their opinions immensely.

The comparison between the 5508/MultEQ XT 32 and the same with a Pro cal will be more .... in "real time."

Jeff

#820 ·
Anybody else having problems connecting with MultEQ Pro? I get a communications timeout message after entering what I know to be the static IP address and port number. If I do that while an internet radio station is playing, the message pops up, but the unit's display says "AudysseyPro" and it locks up with going into standby as the only way to regain control. Plus, internet radio no longer plays until I remove and replace the ethernet cable.

My apologies, I will be cross-posting this for maximum exposure!

#821 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar /forum/post/0

Anybody else having problems connecting with MultEQ Pro? I get a communications timeout message after entering what I know to be the static IP address and port number. If I do that while an internet radio station is playing, the message pops up, but the unit's display says "AudysseyPro" and it locks up with going into standby as the only way to regain control. Plus, internet radio no longer plays until I remove and replace the ethernet cable.

My apologies, I will be cross-posting this for maximum exposure!

Many posts on this. You need to follow Kal's post on full clear and reboot after you update the firmware

The fix I got came from Integra/Onkyo and it was to do an "ALL-CLEAR" on the processor. That wipes out everything but it did permit me to do the AudysseyPro calibration without incident. So, do it with the awareness that you will have to perform all your configurations and setups again.

Here is the procedure directly quoted from the document I received:

Completely clearing the Audyssey Pro settings from an Integra/Onkyo 2010 model the procedure is below.

This works on:

DTR-70.2

DTR-80.2

DHC-80.2

PR-SC5508

1) Set the Volume to Default Level:

30(absolute)/-52dB(relative)

2)Push and hold 'Memory' - then push 'Standby/On'

There will be some weird text on front panel display at this point. Press 'Return'.

3) It will show "All Clear??", then press 'Return' again.

Kal Rubinson

After you update firmware.

It seems this is not much of an issue on the integra

#822 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar /forum/post/0

Default on mine comes up as -30.5 .... wonder if that makes a difference?

Did you make sure firmware was updated ?

Probably does not make a difference.

#823 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur /forum/post/20350544

Did you make sure firmware was updated ?

Probably does not make a difference.

Firmware did update. Pretty slick over the 'net. I realized that I needed to manually set volume the the default of -52, and then the All Clear worked. I'm going to redo my Audyssey cal now and hope Luke has an answer.

Jeff

#824 ·
I am such an idiot. I re-read your post and realized that the IP address I had set before - and was still entering into the Pro software - was no longer there. I've reentered it and am going to try again.

Jeff

#827 ·
Still no joy.

I had statically assigned an IP just below the router's HDCP range, the usual submask, the default gateway is the router's IP and the DNS is my ISP's DNS IP address. The latter two are straight from my laptop's adapter properties. Does anything sound amiss there?

I'm about to hit the button on re-doing my Audyssey calibration ...

Jeff

#829 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur /forum/post/20350810

Try letting router assign ip

Make sure router sees avr after that then loads multieq

I'll try that tomorrow . dynamic. The pre/pro definitely was on the network as I was listening to an internet radio station, which is w-a-y cool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.