Onkyo SC5508 Surround processor [No Price Talk] - Page 35 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1021 of 2743 Old 05-22-2011, 10:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Johnla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 11,498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

With them being identical units and reports of 5508 freezing, wouldn't it be relevant here as well? And I'm curious as to where your info came from?

Jeff


Alan is a authorized Integra dealer in Corpus Christi TX, which is also a Onkyo/Integra repair/service center, so I would trust his input on problems like this.
Johnla is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1022 of 2743 Old 05-23-2011, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jmschnur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: VA MD DC area
Posts: 2,940
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanl715
There is a 40 pin (20 pin double row socketed pin -at each end- cable that goes from the display brd to the main micro brd). There may be a discolored area between 2 pin near one end.
Maybe be solder flux...and could be causing those 2 pins to short out causing a multitude of problems. I am sure you could clean it off with some type of solvent like rubbing alcohol or acetone as well as cleaning the 40 pin soldered area off as well.

Only units affected are those with a '0' in the eighth digit of the serial number OR the 9th digit is a ' 1, 2, 3 ' .
Are replacement cables easily available and if done at home (either cleaning or replacement ) would doing so violate the warranty?

Does the short have any long term effects on the rest of the system. To put it another way : once the cable is fixed/replaced is the unit as good as new?
jmschnur is offline  
post #1023 of 2743 Old 05-23-2011, 05:48 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
anthonymoody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: ny, ny usa
Posts: 5,639
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Any sense for when the 5509 and assorted other 2011 top of the line stuff will appear? (3009, 5009 receivers too)

TIA.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
anthonymoody is offline  
post #1024 of 2743 Old 05-23-2011, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RichB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 8,552
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
Any sense for when the 5509 and assorted other 2011 top of the line stuff will appear? (3009, 5009 receivers too)

TIA.
I am also interested. But looking at the 809, I noticed it will have both the HQV Vida and QDEO Video processors. Presumably, the QDEO to get to 4K scaling which is nice marketing but useless for almost all home theater systems. That worries me a bit.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
RichB is offline  
post #1025 of 2743 Old 05-23-2011, 06:28 AM
 
mjf_uk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
Any sense for when the 5509 and assorted other 2011 top of the line stuff will appear? (3009, 5009 receivers too)

TIA.
They are due for release around September in the UK, but they might be out slightly before that in the USA, so maybe August.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
I am also interested. But looking at the 809, I noticed it will have both the HQV Vida and QDEO Video processors. Presumably, the QDEO to get to 4K scaling which is nice marketing but useless for almost all home theater systems. That worries me a bit.

- Rich
Why would that worry you? I'm sure there's plenty of other technology inside that you will never use. I'll be buying a 5509 to use for sound only. It will have a single HDMI cable going into it, 2 Subs connected and component out for when I need to go into the menu.
mjf_uk is offline  
post #1026 of 2743 Old 05-23-2011, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
gurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
To my knowledge 4K is needed for the upcoming new shutterless (no eye glasses) 3D Display modes.
gurkey is offline  
post #1027 of 2743 Old 05-23-2011, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RichB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 8,552
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
Any sense for when the 5509 and assorted other 2011 top of the line stuff will appear? (3009, 5009 receivers too)

TIA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf_uk View Post
They are due for release around September in the UK, but they might be out slightly before that in the USA, so maybe August.



Why would that worry you? I'm sure there's plenty of other technology inside that you will never use. I'll be buying a 5509 to use for sound only. It will have a single HDMI cable going into it, 2 Subs connected and component out for when I need to go into the menu.
I do not intend to use either but the more stuff in series the more oportunity for issues. If history is the judge, expect firmware updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkey View Post
To my knowledge 4K is needed for the upcoming new shutterless (no eye glasses) 3D Display modes.
OK.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
RichB is offline  
post #1028 of 2743 Old 05-23-2011, 08:58 AM
Member
 
XynyX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Haque, Netherlands
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,
Just bought the 5508. Set up rs232 for my Pronto 9800 remote.
All commands work fine, but no feedback.
Old processor was a Denon witch worked fine. rs232 protocol's for both processors don't differ in setup (bautrate,parity etc). Also the serial cable has the same Rx,Tx,GND config.

Im starting to think there's some wrong with the 5508.....

If somebody has a (good) working 2-way rs232 comm,
Any comment would be appreciated!
XynyX is offline  
post #1029 of 2743 Old 05-23-2011, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jmschnur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: VA MD DC area
Posts: 2,940
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Are you sure the rs 232 is supposed to be active on this unit? Most remotes use the Ethernet and wifi for it.
jmschnur is offline  
post #1030 of 2743 Old 05-23-2011, 10:02 AM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Quintana Roo ... in my mind
Posts: 24,913
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Some comments here, please ...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post20476015
pepar is offline  
post #1031 of 2743 Old 05-23-2011, 10:15 AM
Member
 
XynyX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Haque, Netherlands
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

Are you sure the rs 232 is supposed to be active on this unit? Most remotes use the Ethernet and wifi for it.

Yes, should be active. Commands are accepted. Only feedback is NULL
Remote is routed through a RFX9600 unit from Philips Pronto.
XynyX is offline  
post #1032 of 2743 Old 05-23-2011, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mjaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Orders in!

I hope I get it by the end of this week and will post some comments once I have had a chance to try it out.

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
mjaudio is offline  
post #1033 of 2743 Old 05-23-2011, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mcallister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 1,176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

Are replacement cables easily available and if done at home (either cleaning or replacement ) would doing so violate the warranty?

Does the short have any long term effects on the rest of the system. To put it another way : once the cable is fixed/replaced is the unit as good as new?

I have "0" as the 8th number in my serial. I have no audio how easy would this be to do myself? what do I need? I don't want to be without a pre/pro for months.

mcallister is offline  
post #1034 of 2743 Old 05-23-2011, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jmschnur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: VA MD DC area
Posts: 2,940
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
You might pm Alan
jmschnur is offline  
post #1035 of 2743 Old 05-23-2011, 04:00 PM
Senior Member
 
monstosity12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Guys -

In the market for a new pre pro... I have a denon 4308, but its going out, so I need to upgrade.

Had a question about the onkyo sc5508.

The Denon 4308 I own now has dynamic discrete surround circuitry... What does the onkyo have? And is it better at decoding than the denon 4308 D.D.S.Circuitry.

I was about to go for a marantz 7005, but just curoius.
monstosity12 is offline  
post #1036 of 2743 Old 05-23-2011, 04:43 PM
 
mjf_uk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstosity12 View Post

Hey Guys -

In the market for a new pre pro... I have a denon 4308, but its going out, so I need to upgrade.

Had a question about the onkyo sc5508.

The Denon 4308 I own now has dynamic discrete surround circuitry... What does the onkyo have? And is it better at decoding than the denon 4308 D.D.S.Circuitry.

I was about to go for a marantz 7005, but just curoius.

VLSC (Vector Linear Shaping Circuitry) would be Onkyo's fancy name for what DDSC does in the Denon.

Having compared an Onkyo 3008 to a Denon 4311, I prefer the Onkyo. I believe Onkyo's DSP is superior to Denon.

I would skip the Marantz and go for the 5508, as Audyssey XT32 is a huge improvement over XT.
mjf_uk is offline  
post #1037 of 2743 Old 05-23-2011, 04:45 PM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Quintana Roo ... in my mind
Posts: 24,913
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf_uk View Post

XT32 is a huge improvement over XT.

pepar is offline  
post #1038 of 2743 Old 05-23-2011, 05:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,384
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstosity12 View Post

The Denon 4308 I own now has dynamic discrete surround circuitry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf_uk View Post

VLSC (Vector Linear Shaping Circuitry) would be Onkyo's fancy name for what DDSC does in the Denon.

And what is that?

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is offline  
post #1039 of 2743 Old 05-23-2011, 05:03 PM
 
mjf_uk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

And what is that?

Clever marketing talk to try and impress people.
mjf_uk is offline  
post #1040 of 2743 Old 05-24-2011, 03:32 AM
Senior Member
 
runnernorth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Skagen, Denmark
Posts: 201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, does anyone Know if and when there will be a new Onkyo sc 5509 on the market? Is it known if any/what improvements are made? :-)

kindly
Jan
runnernorth is offline  
post #1041 of 2743 Old 05-24-2011, 03:46 AM
 
mjf_uk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnernorth View Post

Hi, does anyone Know if and when there will be a new Onkyo sc 5509 on the market? Is it known if any/what improvements are made? :-)

Around September time, maybe August if you're lucky. The 5509 will have 4k2k scaling and Spotify. There could also be a couple of other tweaks, but details haven't yet been released.
mjf_uk is offline  
post #1042 of 2743 Old 05-24-2011, 03:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RichB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 8,552
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf_uk View Post

VLSC (Vector Linear Shaping Circuitry) would be Onkyo's fancy name for what DDSC does in the Denon.

Having compared an Onkyo 3008 to a Denon 4311, I prefer the Onkyo. I believe Onkyo's DSP is superior to Denon.

I would skip the Marantz and go for the 5508, as Audyssey XT32 is a huge improvement over XT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

And what is that?

I believe both products have DAC's and marketing departments

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
RichB is offline  
post #1043 of 2743 Old 05-24-2011, 04:32 AM
Senior Member
 
heja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
11.2 balanced pre out is what will teh feature that will make my upgrade from my 5508 (already have aquired the amps and speakers needed (front wide in addition to height) :-D
heja is offline  
post #1044 of 2743 Old 05-24-2011, 04:38 AM
Senior Member
 
runnernorth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Skagen, Denmark
Posts: 201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf_uk View Post


Around September time, maybe August if you're lucky. The 5509 will have 4k2k scaling and Spotify. There could also be a couple of other tweaks, but details haven't yet been released.

Thank you for your quick reply, I'm looking forward to September then :-)

kindly
Jan
runnernorth is offline  
post #1045 of 2743 Old 05-24-2011, 06:50 AM
 
mjf_uk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by heja View Post

11.2 balanced pre out is what will teh feature that will make my upgrade from my 5508 (already have aquired the amps and speakers needed (front wide in addition to height) :-D

Unless anything changes, you'll be keeping the 5508 for at least another year then.
mjf_uk is offline  
post #1046 of 2743 Old 05-24-2011, 07:01 AM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Quintana Roo ... in my mind
Posts: 24,913
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf_uk View Post

Unless anything changes, you'll be keeping the 5508 for at least another year then.

Is there enough physical space on the back panel to add two more phono and two more XLR connections?
pepar is offline  
post #1047 of 2743 Old 05-24-2011, 07:21 AM
 
mjf_uk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Is there enough physical space on the back panel to add two more phono and two more XLR connections?

There is looking at the actual panel, but inside may be another story.

It's about time they got rid of the AM/FM section and a few analogue connections could easily be removed, especially the Phono input. Surely anyone who listens to vinyl would either use a dedicated Hi-Fi system or have a decent Phono Pre-Amp.
mjf_uk is offline  
post #1048 of 2743 Old 05-24-2011, 10:16 AM
 
mjf_uk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by heja View Post

11.2 balanced pre out is what will teh feature that will make my upgrade from my 5508 (already have aquired the amps and speakers needed (front wide in addition to height) :-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf_uk View Post

Unless anything changes, you'll be keeping the 5508 for at least another year then.

Having just seen the spec of the TX-NR1009, it includes DTS Neo:X - apparantly the first Receiver to have it. So even though the 1009 only has 9 internal Amps, it must be 11.1 capable (obviously using 2 external Amps) for it to support DTS Neo:X.

So you may be looking at upgrading after all, as the 3009/5009/5509 will surely all be 11.2 capable if the 1009 is.

I'm glad Onkyo realised that they would be a missing out on this opportunity to improve over the 08 series, as I was quite surprised when I originally heard that they weren't.

I can now see the 5509 being in my system for many years.
mjf_uk is offline  
post #1049 of 2743 Old 05-24-2011, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mjaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstosity12 View Post

Hey Guys -

In the market for a new pre pro... I have a denon 4308, but its going out, so I need to upgrade.

Had a question about the onkyo sc5508.

The Denon 4308 I own now has dynamic discrete surround circuitry... What does the onkyo have? And is it better at decoding than the denon 4308 D.D.S.Circuitry.

I was about to go for a marantz 7005, but just curoius.

I have just recently had both the Denon 4311 and Marantz AV7005 in my system but went back to my Onkyo 886 pre-pro. Both the Denon and Marantz are really good and a little better for music but the 886 was just more dynamic for movies in my system. I actually really liked the Marantz AV7005, good looking and sounded great but every time I swapped the 886 back in the movie performance won out. The Denon 4311 was basically the same as the difference but the bass seamed even more subdued over the 886 for movies. Some may say that the bass seamed more subdued due to the Audyssey XT32 in the 4311 over the normal XT in the 886 but I measured with the SMS-1, REW and the Dayton Omnimic which I had for about 3 weeks before returning it to make sure I was comparing as fairly as possible.

I just ordered the Onkyo 5508 and hopefully it arrives this week. I am going to compare it to my 886 and post my thoughts on this thread in a few weeks.

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
mjaudio is offline  
post #1050 of 2743 Old 05-24-2011, 12:27 PM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Quintana Roo ... in my mind
Posts: 24,913
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaudio View Post

I have just recently had both the Denon 4311 and Marantz AV7005 in my system but went back to my Onkyo 886 pre-pro. Both the Denon and Marantz are really good and a little better for music but the 886 was just more dynamic for movies in my system. I actually really liked the Marantz AV7005, good looking and sounded great but every time I swapped the 886 back in the movie performance won out. The Denon 4311 was basically the same as the difference but the bass seamed even more subdued over the 886 for movies. Some may say that the bass seamed more subdued due to the Audyssey XT32 in the 4311 over the normal XT in the 886 but I measured with the SMS-1, REW and the Dayton Omnimic which I had for about 3 weeks before returning it to make sure I was comparing as fairly as possible.

I just ordered the Onkyo 5508 and hopefully it arrives this week. I am going to compare it to my 886 and post my thoughts on this thread in a few weeks.

Be prepared to be delighted.
pepar is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Pr Sc5507 Pre Amplifier Home Theater Av Controller Preamp 9 2 Channel New
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off