AVS Forum banner

Onkyo SC5508 Surround processor [No Price Talk]

231K views 3K replies 218 participants last post by  GeorgeHolland 
#1 ·
#77 ·
The dealbreaker is lack of bass management in the direct modes. I can not see how they think excluding anyone without full range fronts from the direct mode benefits. Not many have true fullrange fronts in a setup where the 5508 is a natural component.

The video processing is probably not that noisy anyway.

Also, skipping Audyssey for these modes? With the direct modes you Are more critical than ever, and your room will not magically stop influencing the sound.

#78 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by atledreier /forum/post/19341449

The dealbreaker is lack of bass management in the direct modes. I can not see how they think excluding anyone without full range fronts from the direct mode benefits. Not many have true fullrange fronts in a setup where the 5508 is a natural component.

Hmmm. What are you trying to accomplish with "direct?" Generally, it is for those who wish to avoid any processing and, imho, that includes the dsp used for bass management. Actually, I do use "direct" for exactly that reason as it allows me to A/B full-range vs. bass-managed, particularly with stereo sources.

Quote:
The video processing is probably not that noisy anyway.

Agreed or, at least, it should not be.

Quote:
Also, skipping Audyssey for these modes? With the direct modes you Are more critical than ever, and your room will not magically stop influencing the sound.

Sure but, again, what is the purpose of "direct" if not to avoid processing? And, certainly, Audyssey is the big elephant in that room.

Frankly, I see "direct" as useful only for testing/comparison, use with analog sources and as a sop to the old-fashioned who think that, as with analog, adding any additional process/device is detrimental. I'll take Audyssey (or the equivalent) over direct any time.

#80 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Hauser /forum/post/19342384

I'm assuming that Audyssey is not applied to the 7.1 analog inputs, just digital?

Do you mean eq is not applied? Audyssey is the program that determines the EQ settings. (and the dynamic eq settings as well)

I've poured through the manual (located here: http://www.intl.onkyo.com/downloads/...8_manual_e.pdf ) and I'm not sure some of the statements here are correct. I can't see where eq is turned off for either mode (or bass management, for that matter). Here's the quote for each mode:

Pure Audio- In this mode, the display and video circuitry are turned off, minimizing possible noise sources for the ultimate in high-fidelity audio reproduction. (As the video circuitry is turned off, only video signals input through HDMI input can be output from an HDMI output(s).

Direct-In this mode, audio from the input source is output without surround-sound processing. The speaker configuration (presence of speakers), speaker distances and A/V Sync settings are enabled, but much of the processing set via HOME is disabled. See Advanced Setup for more details (➔ 43).

Also, you've some choices of what does get included when Direct or Pure Audio mode is chosen. Here's more info:

Direct

■Analog

Subwoofer

􀁠Off:

Analog audio signals (bass signals) are not output.

􀁠On:

Analog audio signals (bass signals) are output.

This setting determines whether or not analog audio signals

(bass signals) are output from front speakers when the

Pure Audio or Direct listening mode is selected.

■DSD

DAC Direct

􀁠Off:

DSD signals are processed by the DSP.

􀁠On:

DSD signals are not processed by the DSP.

This setting determines whether or not DSD (Super Audio

CD) audio signals are passed through the DSP for A/V

Sync, delay, etc., processing when the Pure Audio or

Direct listening mode is selected.

Note

Once you have selected On, only DAC Direct will be available

for selection.

Hope this helps somewhat.

#81 ·
Is there other user's who havec this problem ?

If yes, please make complaints to Onkyo because they answer that i'm the only one who have this problem !

Thanks !

#82 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobyhughey /forum/post/19344636

Do you mean eq is not applied? Audyssey is the program that determines the EQ settings. (and the dynamic eq settings as well)

Yes, that's what I'm after. I would use the 7.1 analog inputs for my DVDA/SACD player but would like to take advantage of the Audyssey room correction. If it can only be applied though the HDMI input (for DVDA/SACD playback) than I would by an Oppo 93 when it's available.

#83 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobyhughey /forum/post/19344636

Also, you've some choices of what does get included when Direct or Pure Audio mode is chosen. Here's more info:

Direct

■Analog

Subwoofer

Off:

Analog audio signals (bass signals) are not output.

On:

Analog audio signals (bass signals) are output.

This setting determines whether or not analog audio signals

(bass signals) are output from front speakers when the Pure Audio or Direct listening mode is selected.

Hi Coby,

Thanks for the reference.

It seems to be saying that in either the Off or On setting bass is not being output from the Subwoofer.

What is your interpretation of what this means?

In which menu is this feature set?

Thanks.

Larry

#84 ·
To me that seems to indicate you do indeed have bass management in the direct modes.

#85 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryChanin /forum/post/19353861

Hi Coby,

Thanks for the reference.

It seems to be saying that in either the Off or On setting bass is not being output from the Subwoofer.

What is your interpretation of what this means?

In which menu is this feature set?

Thanks.

Larry

I think you're right; but once I build my subwoofer setup later this week I'll do some experimentation to find out some answers on several things. We know how things go when a non american company translates a users manual into English sometimes. Lots can get lost or confused.

#86 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by atledreier /forum/post/19353899

To me that seems to indicate you do indeed have bass management in the direct modes.

Hi,

Let's hope that's what Onkyo meant, but what they actually describe in the manual is a situation without the subwoofer being active for either setting. As you know you've got to have an active subwoofer to have bass management.

Hopefully Coby will be able to clarify this feature after he does some experimentation.

Larry

#88 ·
I am not considering the 5508 until I get reports on the networking.

They seemed to have messed up the networking in the 8 line.

- Rich

#90 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenbr /forum/post/19372709

The USA Onkyo websites states:

Auto Speaker Calibration w/ Mic.-Audyssey MultEQ XT32(MultEQ Pro Ready)

I am assuming this mean it is "installer Ready"? Nothing yet on the Audyssey website on any functionality for this unit.

Hi Stephen,

While it is true that currently the Onkyo websites, both the Onkyo the Onkyo Professional websites, state that the 5508 is MultEQ Pro Ready, it should be pointed out that when the 5507 was initially released it's documentation also stated that it was MultEQ Pro Ready, yet later the websites were revised to omit this feature. To date there is no credible information confirming that the 5507 is Installer-Ready. So if MultEQ Pro functionality is important to you, I would wait a bit for a user to confirm this rather than relying on Onkyo documentation.

Audyssey admits that version 3.4 of the MultEQ Pro software has not yet been released by Audyssey. So the latest models that are MultEQ Pro Ready, i.e. Denon AVR-4311, Integra DHC-80.2, etc., still can't use this feature even if they possess the necessary firmware.

Rumor has it that Audyssey will be releasing version 3.4 of the MultEQ Pro software in November. So until this software is finally released we shouldn't expect to see any of the newer Installer-Ready devices, including the Onkyo PR-SC5508, listed on the Audyssey website

Larry

#92 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenbr /forum/post/19376581

Thx Larry - I'll wait then until its Audyssey features are confirmed before considering this unit further.

Spoke with Audyssey a few months ago regarding the 5507 and the tech I spoke with said they expected the 5508 to have be PRO Installer capable.

He said he had no idea why 885, 886, and 5508 were, or were slated to, and the 5507 did not. I could almost hear him shaking his head over the phone.

Maybe there needs to be an 8 in the model #. (JK)

#93 ·
Can anyone confirm that I can have subwoofer output in all modes, including stereo and direct modes? The manual is not very clear.

#95 ·
Awesome!

So now it's just a matter of getting rid of my Denon 4308A, which is proving difficult...

#96 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobyhughey /forum/post/19411243

I checked last night; you do have sub output in stereo and direct mode. In the menu, you are given the choice of turning sub on or off for direct mode.

Hi Coby,

Thanks for the information.

To clarify, in the previous Onkyo models, assuming a subwoofer is in the system and a crossover has been selected for the mains, the Stereo listening mode always has bass management, and there are no options to turn it on or off via a special "Direct" menu item. The previous models also permit the user to enable Audyssey in Stereo mode. Am I correct that this is the same for this model and the difference is that now this new "Direct" feature of turning the subwoofer output On or Off applies to just Pure Audio or Direct listening modes?

Thanks.

Larry

#97 ·
Onkyo released new FIRMWARE for PR-SC5508. This new release resolve some issues also discussed in this thread.

DOWNLOAD HERE

The 10/27/2010 update addresses the following:

1. Stabilizes "Now Initializing" process to activate [NET/USB] mode in a busy network;

2. Improves the playback speed of particular VR (Variable Bit Rate) mp3 files.

3. Changes the timing of volume operation start. (thereby avoiding problems of no sound output after power is

turned on from Standby mode with network control enabled).

#98 ·
This has likely been covered but I haven't seen it.

Most all my 5507 and now 5508 customers have hardwired the unit to their dsl modems.

Now I have a client who can only go wireless.

Anyone using a wireless connection for the 5508?

If so, what wireless network adaptor are you using?

#101 ·
Yeah, I've had very good luck and good performance with quite a few of the D-Link wireless devices. Their DIR-655 has by far been the most reliable wireless router I have ever had. It's been good enough that after trying about 8 or 9 various other ones before it, that it has never given me any reason to look for something else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.