Onkyo SC5508 Surround processor [No Price Talk] - Page 55 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1621 of 2745 Old 08-27-2011, 09:33 AM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Yes, that's what prompted my post. "Through" versus whatever "true" through is called, i.e. bypass engaged IIRC with an obscure button press combo.

IOW, does getting the VP completely out of the circuit make any difference at all?

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 2745 Old 08-27-2011, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
What is key combo?
post #1623 of 2745 Old 08-27-2011, 09:56 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Yes, that's what prompted my post. "Through" versus whatever "true" through is called, i.e. bypass engaged IIRC with an obscure button press combo.

IOW, does getting the VP completely out of the circuit make any difference at all?

Jeff

This is an interesting one to me too, because I'm about to take the step from using a dedicated VP to just using onboard processing. I'm hoping that it's not going to be a noticeable difference now that onboard processing has improved.

I have been using an Edge (now a Duo) and have always sent picture straight to the Projector and sound separately to an AVR/Pre-Pro (now the 5508). Sending the video signal out of my iScan Duo to the 5508 and having the 5508 set to "Through" hasn't made a noticeable difference to me. But I've barely used the 5508 and haven't done any in-depth comparisons to confirm.
post #1624 of 2745 Old 08-27-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

What is key combo?

On the front panel, hold down the VCR/DVR button and press Return.
post #1625 of 2745 Old 08-27-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:

Jeff

Maybe it would help the menu system show up on a more reliable basis. Mine is the worst for being picky about passing video ( my Blu-ray and TV are direct to TV connections ) because for the menu or vTuner, I'm only using analog to try and resolve some issues, but it still doesn't like to come on every time. Maybe if I mess with those settings I can find one that works.
post #1626 of 2745 Old 08-27-2011, 05:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1902 Post(s)
Liked: 1992
Quote:

Jeff
Well it will prevent the Onkyo from scaling the picture. Which means something else has to do it. I guess the question then is ... does the other device scale better than the Onk or worse? If you are sending native (unscaled) source to your Onk, and the Onk's VP has been 100% disabled, then your screen or PJ has to do the scaling (in the absence of a dedicated Video Processor obviously). Does it do it better than the Onk? You tell me...

If you are scaling in the source, then the Onk and the PJ have nothing to do with scaling, so whether it is or isn't enabled in the Onk is going to be irrelevant.

AFAIK, on 'Through' all the VP in the Onk *other than scaling* is bypassed. So the sole consideration is scaling.

Kind Regards,

Keith
post #1627 of 2745 Old 08-27-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf_uk View Post
It's a bit of a shame that they're reviewing it a few days after the PR-SC5509 is announced. Also, the Power Amp is the PA-MC5500, not the PA-MC5509.

The MSRP information seems to be new, too. For those of us not worrying about 1 model change "antiquity", I wonder if we'll see some "short sales" of remaining dealer inventory out there. It would look pretty good at $1100 IMHO.

John Prader

Falling off the wagon...again, audioholic
post #1628 of 2745 Old 08-28-2011, 12:53 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi everyone:

I have this setting with my 5508, however, I still see 'Dynamic EQ' on the front panel when it lights up. I want to turn the dynamic eq off.. what gives??
-----------
■Preserve THX Settings
��Yes:

Audyssey Dynamic EQ® /
Audyssey Dynamic Volume® / Dolby Volume will
not be active in THX listening mode.

I had it off originally however, I re-calibrated Odyssey today and see this unexpected behavior..

Speakers: Pioneer/TAD S-1EX, S-7EX, Ascend HTM200
Pre/Pro: Onkyo PR-SC5508,Bel Canto Pre-6, Sherwood 972
Amp: Outlaw 770
Source:Oppo 105, Ciunas DAC, SB Touch
post #1629 of 2745 Old 08-28-2011, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1000 View Post

Hi everyone:

I have this setting with my 5508, however, I still see 'Dynamic EQ' on the front panel when it lights up. I want to turn the dynamic eq off.. what gives??
-----------
?Preserve THX Settings
??Yes:
Audyssey Dynamic EQ® /
Audyssey Dynamic Volume® / Dolby Volume will
not be active in THX listening mode.

I had it off originally however, I re-calibrated Odyssey today and see this unexpected behavior..

Go to source choose audyssey turn eq off. Audyssey turns eq on after calibration
post #1630 of 2745 Old 08-28-2011, 09:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Go to source choose audyssey turn eq off. Audyssey turns eq on after calibration

I think he just wants it to turn off when he selects a THX mode. In that case his settings are correct (preserve THX =YES) and it is unclear as to why DynEQ is still on, as indicated by his front panel display. Might need a factory reset and run Audyssey again... PITA but sometimes it clears up these funny niggles.

Kind Regards,

Keith
post #1631 of 2745 Old 08-28-2011, 10:35 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf_uk View Post

This is an interesting one to me too, because I'm about to take the step from using a dedicated VP to just using onboard processing. I'm hoping that it's not going to be a noticeable difference now that onboard processing has improved.

I have been using an Edge (now a Duo) and have always sent picture straight to the Projector and sound separately to an AVR/Pre-Pro (now the 5508). Sending the video signal out of my iScan Duo to the 5508 and having the 5508 set to "Through" hasn't made a noticeable difference to me. But I've barely used the 5508 and haven't done any in-depth comparisons to confirm.

I sold my VP50 Pro when I bought a JVC HD750 and "through" my 5508 to let the JVC do all of the processing. As I mostly watch, Blu-rays, that is only color correction. I am a bit concerned that a) the 5508 is doing "something" and b) bypassing it completely will hose my HD750 calibration.

Damned if I do and damned if I don't.
post #1632 of 2745 Old 08-28-2011, 10:35 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryankenn View Post

Maybe it would help the menu system show up on a more reliable basis. Mine is the worst for being picky about passing video ( my Blu-ray and TV are direct to TV connections ) because for the menu or vTuner, I'm only using analog to try and resolve some issues, but it still doesn't like to come on every time. Maybe if I mess with those settings I can find one that works.

I suspect that I would lose the OSD completely if I bypassed it.
post #1633 of 2745 Old 08-28-2011, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I sold my VP50 Pro when I bought a JVC HD750 and "through" my 5508 to let the JVC do all of the processing. As I mostly watch, Blu-rays, that is only color correction. I am a bit concerned that a) the 5508 is doing "something" and b) bypassing it completely will hose my HD750 calibration.

Damned if I do and damned if I don't.

Can’t see why it would actively 'do something' to your HD750. How could it? It can't change the settings in the PJ...

Kind Regards,

Keith
post #1634 of 2745 Old 08-28-2011, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I suspect that I would lose the OSD completely if I bypassed it.

Interesting. I doubt you would though. What is it that is concerning you about the 'Through' setting? All the Onk is doing when you use that setting is the scaling. Do you think your PJ would scale your picture better than the Onk? It's possible of course. For Blu-ray there is no scaling going on is there - you're sending a native 1080p from the player. So it will go 'through' the Onk untouched anyway and on to the PJ which will also not scale it either.

Kind Regards,

Keith
post #1635 of 2745 Old 08-28-2011, 01:34 PM

Hi, I'm following this thread carefully, because I'm probably going to buy the 5509, never had any HT before, so Bear with me.... Have you guys ever compared cd sq to flac sq, when the flac file is streamed from ex nas storage/ mediaplayer , and then "DACed" in the 5508 processor, are there any major sq difference? What are your opinions, are the DACs in the processor doing a good job ?
If I choose to build up my ht/stereo up around the 5509, and ex want to play flac music, is it then possible to see the song title on my remote, iPhone, using the Onkyo remote app?
Thx :-))

kindly
Jan
post #1636 of 2745 Old 08-28-2011, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Slimserver iPeng and a squeezetouch work well for this
post #1637 of 2745 Old 08-28-2011, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnernorth View Post

Hi, I'm following this thread carefully, because I'm probably going to buy the 5509, never had any HT before, so Bear with me.... Have you guys ever compared cd sq to flac sq, when the flac file is streamed from ex nas storage/ mediaplayer , and then "DACed" in the 5508 processor, are there any major sq difference? What are your opinions, are the DACs in the processor doing a good job ?
If I choose to build up my ht/stereo up around the 5509, and ex want to play flac music, is it then possible to see the song title on my remote, iPhone, using the Onkyo remote app?
Thx :-))

runnernorth, your message is a bit cryptic, even for these forums, I think. I have ripped a large amount of my CD collection to FLAC, and play those files from my WD TV Live Hub with good result; ie the FLACs sound about as good as the CDs. So, yes, I'd say the DACs in the processor are doing a good job. (Even so, I still play my favorite CDs from my Onkyo dedicated-CD player, the DX-7555, and use analog out for those.) When you write, "ex want to play flac music, is it then possible to see the song title on my remote, iPhone, using the Onkyo remote app?" I'm assuming you mean "the external music server" rather than your former spouse or lover. In that case, the answer is "maybe," as there is more than one Onkyo remote app. If you're specifically referring to Oremote, again, "maybe." The developer of that app frequently updates it, but as the 5509 has not yet been released, there is no support for it yet.
post #1638 of 2745 Old 08-28-2011, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkster27 View Post

runnernorth, your message is a bit cryptic, even for these forums, I think. I have ripped a large amount of my CD collection to FLAC, and play those files from my WD TV Live Hub with good result; ie the FLACs sound about as good as the CDs. So, yes, I'd say the DACs in the processor are doing a good job. (Even so, I still play my favorite CDs from my Onkyo dedicated-CD player, the DX-7555, and use analog out for those.) When you write, "ex want to play flac music, is it then possible to see the song title on my remote, iPhone, using the Onkyo remote app?" I'm assuming you mean "the external music server" rather than your former spouse or lover. In that case, the answer is "maybe," as there is more than one Onkyo remote app. If you're specifically referring to Oremote, again, "maybe." The developer of that app frequently updates it, but as the 5509 has not yet been released, there is no support for it yet.

Good morning hawskter:-), thx for your reply. I'll have to decide whether to for the opportunity to play Flac music or make a combo of CDs and Flacs, need to go to a dealer and listen for myself:-)
Yes, I mean the external music server:-))) - sorry for my inadequate English vocabulary, bear with me....:-)
Kindly

kindly
Jan
post #1639 of 2745 Old 08-29-2011, 03:39 AM

Quote:

Please post you comments on the different configurations.

Jeff

I have tested both the "Front wide" and "Front high" configurations. Personally, I would prefer the "Front high". As it will give me the more envelope felling by comprasion. However, the "Front wide" will give you a little more punch.

On the other hand, I feel a bit dissapointed on the upcoming 5509 model. As it still do not make "Front high + Front wide" output at the same time.

By the way, I have installed the Clark's Transducer inside the couch. Should I treat it with the 2nd subwoofer output ?

Thanks.
post #1640 of 2745 Old 08-29-2011, 07:01 AM

Is it possible to make "Dolby Volume" source dependent ?
I like it with TV because it makes all the channels the same volume but I don't want to use it for CD or Bluray.

If not, is there a quick way to turn it on/off ?
post #1641 of 2745 Old 08-29-2011, 07:34 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tune View Post

I have tested both the "Front wide" and "Front high" configurations. Personally, I would prefer the "Front high". As it will give me the more envelope felling by comprasion. However, the "Front wide" will give you a little more punch.

I think the Highs are only adding ambiance, while Wides do that but also "bridge" between the fronts and surrounds. With respect to bass management, the Wides will have LF content and the Highs won't. So using Wides will add more to the subwoofer(s) ... the Highs won't.

Perhaps that is what you are describing?

Quote:

On the other hand, I feel a bit dissapointed on the upcoming 5509 model. As it still do not make "Front high + Front wide" output at the same time.

Is there any "real estate" on the back where they could have placed another set of output connectors? It might be that, or we might be back to processing power and the 5509 doesn't have enough to do all possible channels simultaneously? Just guessing ....

Quote:

By the way, I have installed the Clark's Transducer inside the couch. Should I treat it with the 2nd subwoofer output ?

Thanks.

I don't use anything like that, but my guess is that I would NOT have it turned on while setting up Audyssey. I would activate and adjust it later. I'd probably parallel it with sub 1.

Jeff
post #1642 of 2745 Old 08-29-2011, 11:14 PM

Can't find any information on the ISF calibration that the PR-SC5508 supports. Can one use Calman (or equivalent) with the processor to calibrate all sources? Has anyone done it?
My plasma screen does not support ISF calibration so I would be quite excited to find a processor that lets me calibrate colors.
post #1643 of 2745 Old 08-30-2011, 11:53 AM

I recently purchased a 5508 from accessories4less. I am now confronted with the decision of which of my amps to use with it. I am using this for HT use exclusively.

Firt up we have a Kinergetics Research KBA-380 3channel amp. It puts out 140 wpc at .02% THD. I purchased it 2 years ago before I even knew anything about it. The thing is a BEAST, weighing over 55 lbs. It is by far the most expensive amp i own.

Second we have two single channel Emotiva UPA-1 amps putting out 200 wpc. These two amps are the only ones i own with balamced inputs

The last two are Rotels
An RMB-1075 5 channel (125wpc), and an RB-990BX dual channel with 200 wpc.

Here are my speakers

Fronts Def Tech Mythos One
CENTER Mythos EIGHT
Surrounds UIW RSS II
SBs Mythos Gem XL

Whichever amps I dont use I will simply sell online

Any help would be Greatly appreciated
post #1644 of 2745 Old 08-30-2011, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I would use you best amps for the l/r/ c. Perhaps that means the monoblocks for left right and then your three channel for center and surrounds

See below
post #1645 of 2745 Old 08-30-2011, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would use you best amps for the l/r/ c. Perhaps that means the monoblocks for left right and then your three channel for center and surrounds. What ever is left could go for the rear 2.

Are you ever going to 9.1. If you are you might need the another of your collection for that or for non powered subs.

Hope this helps.
post #1646 of 2745 Old 08-31-2011, 04:32 PM

9.2 capabiloty is a good point. I wish i knew a little more about the KBA-380. Cant find anything on the internet.
post #1647 of 2745 Old 09-01-2011, 12:51 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Hi Guys,

Slightly off topic as this discussion was being explained earlier in the thread.

I seem to have a problem with Direct and Pure Audio mode.

In Setup I have switched on Subwoofer Output For Direct Mode.
Yet when listening to music in direct or pure I am unable to get any sound from the subwoofer. Pure and Direct mode do not work with the subwoofer. But under Info Tab, Its showing me Direct Mode 2.2 The subwoofer should be active right?

Is this a problem with the firmware or the unit? I can’t seem to understand why Setup is giving options for subwoofer output yet in direct mode but does not activate any signals to subwoofer.

Home Theatre: Onkyo PR SC 5509, ATI 3007 Danley SH50, Danley SH69, Danley SH100 (Rear), Seaton Subwoofer X 2, Custom Made Acoustic Panels and Bass Traps.

2 Channel System: Philharmonics 3, GD Audio Master 2 Mono Blocks, GD Audio Master 1 Pre-Amp. Wireworld Eclipse Gold 5 Silver XLR, Clear Day...
post #1648 of 2745 Old 09-02-2011, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmprader View Post

The MSRP information seems to be new, too. For those of us not worrying about 1 model change "antiquity", I wonder if we'll see some "short sales" of remaining dealer inventory out there. It would look pretty good at $1100 IMHO.

Would not surprise me

but what Onkyo products, in recent years, have sold for anywhere near retail?

Right out of the gate it seems 25-30% off processors.....40% off on the receivers.
Amazingly....the Denon products bring pretty close to retail until they are discontinued

But...its all supply and demand issue....and they will charge what the market will accept

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Pioneer Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009/906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #1649 of 2745 Old 09-02-2011, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy24 View Post

I recently purchased a 5508 from accessories4less. I am now confronted with the decision of which of my amps to use with it. I am using this for HT use exclusively.

Firt up we have a Kinergetics Research KBA-380 3channel amp. It puts out 140 wpc at .02% THD. I purchased it 2 years ago before I even knew anything about it. The thing is a BEAST, weighing over 55 lbs. It is by far the most expensive amp i own.

Second we have two single channel Emotiva UPA-1 amps putting out 200 wpc. These two amps are the only ones i own with balamced inputs

The last two are Rotels
An RMB-1075 5 channel (125wpc), and an RB-990BX dual channel with 200 wpc.

Here are my speakers

Fronts Def Tech Mythos One
CENTER Mythos EIGHT
Surrounds UIW RSS II
SBs Mythos Gem XL

Whichever amps I dont use I will simply sell online

Any help would be Greatly appreciated

You have some unique and interesting pieces

First off...that Kinergentics is a very nice amp...they were somewhat legendary with their products...and designed and manufactured in the US as well
Unfortunately their marketing was not so good as they went out of business in the late 90's......so if you have service issues on that one it could be a challenge

I have never used an Emotiva product...so I can't speak from personal experience. I have heard good things and the fact that they are monos is likely good thing

The Rotel 1075 is good all around amp...in fact I heavily considered its big brother , the 1095, a few years ago for my set up
The Rotel 990 bx you have is also another nice legendary one

I would say run the Kinegentics across the front 3 channels and the Emotiva monos across the back...then run the Rotel 990 across the back and see if you like it better or worse than the Emotivas....keep your preference

Sell the Rotel 1075...I think its the weakest link of the amps you have

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Pioneer Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009/906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #1650 of 2745 Old 09-04-2011, 05:08 PM

Warren

Thank you so much for the advice. I think I am going to do exactly as you recomnended. The Kinergetics amp is not only powerful, but i have managed to somehow keep it in pristine condition, and it is a beautiful piece. One question....i have noticed that my speakers sometimes pop when connecting speaker wires to the amp even when it is OFF. Really weird. Any suggestions or concerns?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Pr Sc5507 Pre Amplifier Home Theater Av Controller Preamp 9 2 Channel New
Gear in this thread - Sc5507 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page