Onkyo SC5508 Surround processor [No Price Talk] - Page 61 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1801 of 2743 Old 10-19-2011, 08:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
kbarnes701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Main Listening Positon
Posts: 16,248
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnernorth View Post

Hi Keith, Krokov and Theresa, thx for your replies, Keith, think I'll keep my money in my pocket then, no need to "throw out money" on that kind of stuff. Thx folks, have a pleasant evening :-)
Kindly
Jan

Absolutely. Just use decently constructed RCA cables from a reputable maker. No need - and no point - in paying more.

Kind Regards,

Keith
kbarnes701 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1802 of 2743 Old 10-19-2011, 09:06 AM
Senior Member
 
spike9876's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Absolutely. Just use decently constructed RCA cables from a reputable maker. No need - and no point - in paying more.

Kind Regards,

Keith

Checking price for XLR cables on monoprice... they are about $5 each... doesn't it make sense to get XLR vs RCA ?

Fronts: B&W CM8
Center: B&W CM Center
Surround: B&W CM1
JL Audio F112
Integra DHC-80.3
Emotiva XPA-5
OPPO 93
HTPC
spike9876 is offline  
post #1803 of 2743 Old 10-19-2011, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mjaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike9876 View Post

Checking price for XLR cables on monoprice... they are about $5 each... doesn't it make sense to get XLR vs RCA ?

For subs you might as well pay the little bit extra for the XLR's as they are usually longer runs so less chance of noise interference.

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
mjaudio is offline  
post #1804 of 2743 Old 10-19-2011, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dvdguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Shelby, NC. previously in Charlotte
Posts: 1,186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Mine is out for delivery I tried the marantz av7005 last week and just returned it as I liked my Integra DTC 9.8 better for sound. I'm thinking the Onkyo is going to make me extremely happy lol

Elite PRO-70X5FD!

dvdguru

Xbox Live Gamertag: AVS Steve
dvdguru is offline  
post #1805 of 2743 Old 10-19-2011, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Theresa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdguru View Post

Mine is out for delivery I tried the marantz av7005 last week and just returned it as I liked my Integra DTC 9.8 better for sound. I'm thinking the Onkyo is going to make me extremely happy lol

Mine is due tomorrow.
Theresa is offline  
post #1806 of 2743 Old 10-19-2011, 09:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,386
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post

I've gotten flamed on the Emo site more than once for what I've said about the UMC-1. There are some very committed fans who don't want anything negative said about it. I kept telling myself, "Big Dan" will keep his promises but time after time during the past year the fixes weren't forthcoming. I wonder what it must have been like when it was first introduced, by many accounts it was far worse than what I've experienced.

Theresa,

You are not alone in being flamed by specific members on the Lounge for speaking the truth about the UMC-1. I respect your honesty and for voicing your opinion. There are many others on the Lounge that voice their concerns as well and are Emotiva supporters. It is a small minority that take any negativity towards any Emotiva product personally. I find this behavior very strange to be quite honest. I had the UMC-1 when it was first released and yes the issues were worse. I firmly believe you will enjoy the SQ of 5508 and all the features it has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

I don't understand that attitude. If something doesn’t work properly, it doesn't darn well work properly! I'm a huge Emotiva fan, as evidenced by the amount of their gear I own, but that doesn’t blind me to when they do something that just plain doesn't work as it should, or that gives a very unsatisfactory user experience.

Keith,

I respect your mindset as well. I see no reason why one can not voice their opinion on a product that has actual issues without being branded an Emotiva "hater". I feel the same when it comes to Onkyo AVR/prepros. Some have had bad experiences and they are more than free to voice their opinions. I've been very lucky as I have had no issues with the three Onkyos (805, 885 and 886) I have owned. But I'm certainly not going to flame someone when they speak negatively about Onkyo products. Now back to the 5508.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is online now  
post #1807 of 2743 Old 10-19-2011, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mjaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdguru View Post

Mine is out for delivery I tried the marantz av7005 last week and just returned it as I liked my Integra DTC 9.8 better for sound. I'm thinking the Onkyo is going to make me extremely happy lol

I liked the Onkyo 886 much better for movies than the Marantz AV7005, music was a different story though, the 7005 was clearly better.

I think your going to be in for a treat with the 5508, much better than the 9.8 which I had prior to the 886 and musically on par with the Marantz.

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
mjaudio is offline  
post #1808 of 2743 Old 10-19-2011, 10:02 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Nathan_R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: The lost underwater city of Atlanta.
Posts: 1,561
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaudio View Post

For subs you might as well pay the little bit extra for the XLR's as they are usually longer runs so less chance of noise interference.

This is exactly what I did to help with some interference issues I had with my above-ceiling runs to my subs, and I can't express how much happier I am now without the extra random buzzing.

PSN: KyFriedNate | XBL: KyFriedNate
My SACD Collection | My DVD-A Collection
Nathan_R is offline  
post #1809 of 2743 Old 10-19-2011, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
kbarnes701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Main Listening Positon
Posts: 16,248
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike9876 View Post

Checking price for XLR cables on monoprice... they are about $5 each... doesn't it make sense to get XLR vs RCA ?

It depends what you mean by 'makes sense'. They won't sound any different in any way to RCAs (assuming usual domestic lengths) unless there is already an interference issue. They look cool though.

Kind Regards,

Keith
kbarnes701 is online now  
post #1810 of 2743 Old 10-19-2011, 10:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
kbarnes701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Main Listening Positon
Posts: 16,248
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I respect your mindset as well. I see no reason why one can not voice their opinion on a product that has actual issues without being branded an Emotiva "hater". I feel the same when it comes to Onkyo AVR/prepros. Some have had bad experiences and they are more than free to voice their opinions. I've been very lucky as I have had no issues with the three Onkyos (805, 885 and 886) I have owned. But I'm certainly not going to flame someone when they speak negatively about Onkyo products. Now back to the 5508.

Bill

Absolutely agreed. I've had three flawless Onkyos as well - but I feel for the guys who have had so many problems.

Kind Regards,

Keith
kbarnes701 is online now  
post #1811 of 2743 Old 10-19-2011, 11:04 AM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Quintana Roo ... in my mind
Posts: 24,913
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krokov View Post

Also, there's double the output voltage on xlr compared to rca so you may have to turn down the sub a lot when you run Audyssey setup.

I think that difference is accounted for in the associated circuitry ... one end giveth and the other taketh away ... with the driven device not seeing more (or less) voltage. I have one sub pair near my rack on the single-ended phono "B" sub out and the other pair in the opposite end of the room driven by the balanced "A" sub out. The amp gains are identical, at least visually.

Jeff
pepar is online now  
post #1812 of 2743 Old 10-19-2011, 11:05 AM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Quintana Roo ... in my mind
Posts: 24,913
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 131
fwiw, my 5508 is back from the front panel bug repair and is working perfectly. turnaround time was a bit less than three weeks.
pepar is online now  
post #1813 of 2743 Old 10-19-2011, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dvdguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Shelby, NC. previously in Charlotte
Posts: 1,186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Been trying to connect to the internet for 2 hours now I keep getting error 13, dns proxy error. I've tried turning the router and receiver on and off, etc already

Elite PRO-70X5FD!

dvdguru

Xbox Live Gamertag: AVS Steve
dvdguru is offline  
post #1814 of 2743 Old 10-19-2011, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
nezff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cajun Country
Posts: 4,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

fwiw, my 5508 is back from the front panel bug repair and is working perfectly. turnaround time was a bit less than three weeks.

what service center did you send yours into
nezff is offline  
post #1815 of 2743 Old 10-20-2011, 02:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Theresa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Theresa,

You are not alone in being flamed by specific members on the Lounge for speaking the truth about the UMC-1. I respect your honesty and for voicing your opinion. There are many others on the Lounge that voice their concerns as well and are Emotiva supporters. It is a small minority that take any negativity towards any Emotiva product personally. I find this behavior very strange to be quite honest. I had the UMC-1 when it was first released and yes the issues were worse. I firmly believe you will enjoy the SQ of 5508 and all the features it has.

Bill

Yes, its just a few, always the same ones. Those few always respond the same way to any criticism of the UMC-1 insisting that there are no problems. Others are very supportive. Thank you for the support. Its good to know I'm not a bad person because of the problems I've had with the UMC-1.
Theresa is offline  
post #1816 of 2743 Old 10-20-2011, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Theresa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
My new 5508 is due to arrive today, I can hardly wait. I will have to deal with hooking it up and putting everything into a new rack and as I am disabled will need help putting it all together. I called someone earlier in the week who said he could help tomorrow. He knows nothing about home theater though so I'll have to do the setup.
Theresa is offline  
post #1817 of 2743 Old 10-20-2011, 05:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,386
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post

Yes, its just a few, always the same ones. Those few always respond the same way to any criticism of the UMC-1 insisting that there are no problems. Others are very supportive. Thank you for the support. Its good to know I'm not a bad person because of the problems I've had with the UMC-1.

Theresa,

Being outspoken about the issues of a component that you actually own does not make one a bad person IMO. If done in a respectful way as you and others have done on the Lounge it is actually a good thing IMO. If everyone ignored the issues with a component from any company (not just Emotiva) it does not help anything. If specific issues of any component are not pointed out it doesn't help get those issues resolved. It also does not alert possible buyers of these issues enabling one to make an informed purchase decision.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is online now  
post #1818 of 2743 Old 10-20-2011, 05:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
kbarnes701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Main Listening Positon
Posts: 16,248
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post

Yes, its just a few, always the same ones. Those few always respond the same way to any criticism of the UMC-1 insisting that there are no problems. Others are very supportive. Thank you for the support. Its good to know I'm not a bad person because of the problems I've had with the UMC-1.

When you look at their Location to the left of their posts, does it say "Cloud Cuckoo Land"?

Kind Regards,

Keith
kbarnes701 is online now  
post #1819 of 2743 Old 10-20-2011, 05:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
kbarnes701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Main Listening Positon
Posts: 16,248
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post

My new 5508 is due to arrive today, I can hardly wait. I will have to deal with hooking it up and putting everything into a new rack and as I am disabled will need help putting it all together. I called someone earlier in the week who said he could help tomorrow. He knows nothing about home theater though so I'll have to do the setup.

Good luck with it all! Don't forget to let us know how you get on, and to come back with any problems or queries you have.

These two threads contain a lot of useful advice and info - they are for the x007 and x008 series but as these are 95% identical to your 5508 (in respect of the pre-amp side anyway) a lot of the info is relevant to you.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1192172

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1261548

Kind Regards,

Keith
kbarnes701 is online now  
post #1820 of 2743 Old 10-20-2011, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Theresa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Lol.
Theresa is offline  
post #1821 of 2743 Old 10-20-2011, 05:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
kbarnes701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Main Listening Positon
Posts: 16,248
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Theresa,

Being outspoken about the issues of a component that you actually own does not make one a bad person IMO. If done in a respectful way as you and others have done on the Lounge it is actually a good thing IMO. If everyone ignored the issues with a component from any company (not just Emotiva) it does not help anything. If specific issues of any component are not pointed out it doesn't help get those issues resolved. It also does not alert possible buyers of these issues enabling one to make an informed purchase decision.

Bill

Spot on, Bill. The Emo Lounge seems to attract more than its fair share of Fanboys. I rarely find a lot of really useful information on there, and what there is often submerged under all the fanboy nonsense. I dip in and out there to see if there is any info about new gear or any proper help to real problems, but I think we are much better served here on AVS, in every way.

Kind Regards,

Keith
kbarnes701 is online now  
post #1822 of 2743 Old 10-20-2011, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Theresa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I agree for the most part but there is some friendly banter that goes on there but much of that is machismo.
Theresa is offline  
post #1823 of 2743 Old 10-20-2011, 05:51 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 8,927
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post

My new 5508 is due to arrive today, I can hardly wait. I will have to deal with hooking it up and putting everything into a new rack and as I am disabled will need help putting it all together. I called someone earlier in the week who said he could help tomorrow. He knows nothing about home theater though so I'll have to do the setup.

Greetings,

Best of luck Theresa. I have been using the 5508 for a little over a month and have been very pleased with it.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Ralph Potts is offline  
post #1824 of 2743 Old 10-20-2011, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Theresa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Best of luck Theresa. I have been using the 5508 for a little over a month and have been very pleased with it.

Regards,

I hope I don't need the luck. I was torn between ordering the Marantz and the Onkyo. If it is defective (its a refurbished unit) I will wish I ordered the Marantz. Apart from listening to music without processing the Onkyo seemed to be more bang for the buck.
Theresa is offline  
post #1825 of 2743 Old 10-20-2011, 07:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
kbarnes701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Main Listening Positon
Posts: 16,248
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post

I hope I don't need the luck. I was torn between ordering the Marantz and the Onkyo. If it is defective (its a refurbished unit) I will wish I ordered the Marantz. Apart from listening to music without processing the Onkyo seemed to be more bang for the buck.

It's the XT32 that will make the big difference there. Even on music people report fabulous results. And for movies, well....

Kind Regards,

Keith
kbarnes701 is online now  
post #1826 of 2743 Old 10-20-2011, 07:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,386
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

I dip in and out there to see if there is any info about new gear or any proper help to real problems, but I think we are much better served here on AVS, in every way.

I agree 100%. Quite often you will find more useful and unbiased information here on AVS. I mentioned to some members over at the Lounge that had questions on non Emotiva products that they should post their questions here. Some declined saying that there is a negative vibe here or that they wanted to belong to only one A/V forum. That is too bad as there are many excellent A/V forums including AVS that are a wealth of information when needed.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is online now  
post #1827 of 2743 Old 10-20-2011, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dvdguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Shelby, NC. previously in Charlotte
Posts: 1,186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I installed mine last night and it blows away the Marantz av7005 IMO Now, I'm coming from an Integra DTC 9.8 so I'm probably biased to the "integra/onkyo sound" but the Marantz was wayyy too laid back in its' sound for movies. With the Onkyo the sound is much more lively, much more enveloping, etc and the dialog is better as well!

I ran Audyssey and it got even better so I'm thrilled! After calibration I set my speakers back to 80hz(THX). Also, music sounded much better than before and I used the dolby pro logic IIx setting for that. For movies/tv I'm using pro logic IIx movie and it's working very well.

I tried for 3 hours to update the firmware but could never get the onkyo to get online I went and bought a USB drive to update it though so all is well. It's probably a lot safer to update via usb anyway. I'm thrilled with this pre pro so far

Elite PRO-70X5FD!

dvdguru

Xbox Live Gamertag: AVS Steve
dvdguru is offline  
post #1828 of 2743 Old 10-20-2011, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Theresa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I agree 100%. Quite often you will find more useful and unbiased information here on AVS. I mentioned to some members over at the Lounge that had questions on non Emotiva products that they should post their questions here. Some declined saying that there is a negative vibe here or that they wanted to belong to only one A/V forum. That is too bad as there are many excellent A/V forums including AVS that are a wealth of information when needed.

Bill

I'm ashamed to admit that I was a dyed in the wool fangirl of Emo for a long time. I played down every problem as trivial, I guess because I was trying to avoiding the conclusion that I made a mistake buying the UMC-1. Now I'm finding AVS to be far more informative than the Emotiva Lounge.
Theresa is offline  
post #1829 of 2743 Old 10-20-2011, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mjaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdguru View Post

I installed mine last night and it blows away the Marantz av7005 IMO Now, I'm coming from an Integra DTC 9.8 so I'm probably biased to the "integra/onkyo sound" but the Marantz was wayyy too laid back in its' sound for movies. With the Onkyo the sound is much more lively, much more enveloping, etc and the dialog is better as well!

I ran Audyssey and it got even better so I'm thrilled! After calibration I set my speakers back to 80hz(THX). Also, music sounded much better than before and I used the dolby pro logic IIx setting for that. For movies/tv I'm using pro logic IIx movie and it's working very well.

I tried for 3 hours to update the firmware but could never get the onkyo to get online I went and bought a USB drive to update it though so all is well. It's probably a lot safer to update via usb anyway. I'm thrilled with this pre pro so far

That's exactly what I experienced, the Marantz is flat out boring compared to the 5508 for movies that it's not even close IMO.

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
mjaudio is offline  
post #1830 of 2743 Old 10-20-2011, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
kbarnes701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Main Listening Positon
Posts: 16,248
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post

I'm ashamed to admit that I was a dyed in the wool fangirl of Emo for a long time. I played down every problem as trivial, I guess because I was trying to avoiding the conclusion that I made a mistake buying the UMC-1. Now I'm finding AVS to be far more informative than the Emotiva Lounge.

Absolutely. I see the Lounge as 'light entertainment'.

Kind Regards,

Keith
kbarnes701 is online now  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Pr Sc5507 Pre Amplifier Home Theater Av Controller Preamp 9 2 Channel New
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off