post #1891 of 2745 Old 10-27-2011, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnernorth View Post

Ok, but it IS possible to play DTS-HD in xbmc win7, have not yet tried, but according to threads/post in XBMC forum, it's possible.
Thx
Back to your TOY :-)
Kindly
Jan

I was referring to the above and saying I've found Total Media Theater 5 being less reliable in playing BDs than just using a stand alone player rather than computer programs such as XBMC and TMT5.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 2745 Old 10-27-2011, 12:16 PM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post

I was referring to the above and saying I've found Total Media Theater 5 being less reliable in playing BDs than just using a stand alone player rather than computer programs such as XBMC and TMT5.

I've been looking at going the media server route recently, and even purchased a PS3 on eBay a few days ago that can be used .. with a few "changes" .. to rip SACD ISOs. On the "player" end, I have looked at PCH and Dune, and then XMBC as well. My understanding is that XMBC is not a compete playing solution at this time, but that development is ongoing.

Jeff
post #1893 of 2745 Old 10-27-2011, 12:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1967 Post(s)
Liked: 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

I've been looking at going the media server route recently, and even purchased a PS3 on eBay a few days ago that can be used .. with a few "changes" .. to rip SACD ISOs. On the "player" end, I have looked at PCH and Dune, and then XMBC as well. My understanding is that XMBC is not a compete playing solution at this time, but that development is ongoing.

Jeff

Are you Windows or Mac? I have some expertise and experience in HTPC's using Macs and Plex. Plex is a development from XMBC and is way better in all ways. But it is Mac only. Even as a Windows user, you could consider dedicating a Mac Mini as the server hub. All you would need to add is Plex which is free. The new Mac Minis with HDMI are way easier to get up and running than the Windows alternatives IME. We're getting way OT and I can't think of a single way to bring this back to the 5508 so I will shut up now

Kind Regards,

Keith
post #1894 of 2745 Old 10-27-2011, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I just have my desktop attached to the pre-pro with HDMI. It is very good with the things best done by a computer, like streaming video, browsing, being a music and video player or browsing the web. Mine just won't play BDs reliably. Sometimes they lose a/v sync, other times they just lock up, sometimes loses the sound altogether. This may be because it was connected to a UMC-1. I am curious to see how my new Onkyo PR-SC5508 handles BDs on the PC.
post #1895 of 2745 Old 10-27-2011, 12:35 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Are you Windows or Mac? I have some expertise and experience in HTPC's using Macs and Plex. Plex is a development from XMBC and is way better in all ways. But it is Mac only. Even as a Windows user, you could consider dedicating a Mac Mini as the server hub. All you would need to add is Plex which is free. The new Mac Minis with HDMI are way easier to get up and running than the Windows alternatives IME. We're getting way OT and I can't think of a single way to bring this back to the 5508 so I will shut up now

Kind Regards,

Keith

<5508>Pee Cee here. And with seven of them scattered around the house and enough parts to throw 2-3 more together if I had to, I was trying to avoid the HTPC route. That's why, initially, PCH and Dune caught my eye. I have read, though, that XMBC is far better for building and maintaining a library, so I might load that on my main hotrod that I will use for ripping.

Still undecided on the player, but I have been having fun with the 35watt Intel i5 part and SSDs for no moving parts computers. So maybe the HTPC route will be the way I go.</5508>

Jeff
post #1896 of 2745 Old 10-27-2011, 12:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

<5508>Pee Cee here. And with seven of them scattered around the house and enough parts to throw 2-3 more together if I had to, I was trying to avoid the HTPC route. That's why, initially, PCH and Dune caught my eye. I have read, though, that XMBC is far better for building and maintaining a library, so I might load that on my main hotrod that I will use for ripping.

Still undecided on the player, but I have been having fun with the 35watt Intel i5 part and SSDs for no moving parts computers. So maybe the HTPC route will be the way I go.</5508>

Jeff

I have offloaded all of my legacy DVDs (about 1000 of them) to the HTPC now, via the Mac Mini and the DVDO VP I use - there is no loss of quality in either picture or sound - in fact I believe the PQ is a little *better* than I was getting from my Oppo 983H DVD player. I use 8 terabytes of RAID array drives for the ripped DVDs and Plex is such a beautiful front end it is a delight to use. It is awesome to browse a large library of movies, select the one you want and the film starts immediately without all those trailers and crap you get on the DVD itself. I am sure it is possible to do the same sort of thing using Windows, but my experience is that it is harder to set it all up. HST, I can understand why you'd want to go that way!

For Bluray and HD-DVD I still prefer to use the original discs in a normal player - mainly because ripping them is very time consuming and they do make very large files (unless you Handbrake them). I suspect one day I will probably move the HD media to the HTPC though, just for the convenience. It's hard to describe how much better it is - people say "how hard is it to put a DVD in the drive of a DVD player?" but when they experience the HTPC, they never say that again... it's the browsing the library, the reading the synopsis etc in Plex (added automagically via the web), looking at the cover and background artwork (also added automagically), selecting the movie and just going right to the opening logo instantly... magic. And of course, with Plex being a database, you can sort by almost any way imaginable - genre, year, actor, director etc etc.

When I get my 5508, or 5509, or 5510 (Is that enough, Mods? I hope so! ) I may well decide to rip all 350 of my Blurays I guess... but currently I have other priorities, not least of which is a pre-pro like the 5508, which is Pro ready and has XT32 and so on. I am being drawn, as if by magnetism, to the benefits of a Pro setup...

Kind Regards,

Keith
post #1897 of 2745 Old 10-27-2011, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

Jeff

I did the i5 and intel ssd route with the asus mother board works well with the 80.2 with a lot of what I do but blu ray is the oppo 83
post #1898 of 2745 Old 10-27-2011, 01:24 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnernorth View Post

Ok, but it IS possible to play DTS-HD in xbmc win7, have not yet tried, but according to threads/post in XBMC forum, it's possible.
Thx
Back to your TOY :-)
Kindly
Jan

Hmmm, sorry I brought this up, it wasn't supposed to hijack the thread :-(
I will be back with some questions regarding the 5509, soon, I hope.
Have a nice day/ evening all of you
Jan

kindly
Jan
post #1899 of 2745 Old 10-27-2011, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

my apologies for getting mis-directed.
post #1900 of 2745 Old 10-27-2011, 04:02 PM
Wireless member

Hey, there's some freedom to wander a bit. Nobody with a 5508 "issue" has gone without help because we were chatting about networked media streaming.

Jeff
post #1901 of 2745 Old 10-28-2011, 01:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, your'e right too. I'd love to use XBMC to play BDs too. I don't rip BDs, the program needed to do so just seems too expensive for the few BDs I own.
post #1902 of 2745 Old 10-28-2011, 03:31 AM
AVS Special Member

An Apple mini is not an option for me. For three years I dedicated myself to using an iMac after migrating from Windows. It made me truly appreciate Windows PCs. I don't think the mini offers does anything that a good Windows PC doesn't do better.
post #1903 of 2745 Old 10-28-2011, 03:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

An Apple mini is not an option for me. For three years I dedicated myself to using an iMac after migrating from Windows. It made me truly appreciate Windows PCs. I don't think the mini offers does anything that a good Windows PC doesn't do better.

We'll have to disagree on that then

Kind Regards,

Keith
post #1904 of 2745 Old 10-28-2011, 03:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry to disagree. We agree on a lot though. I should have passed up commenting on the mac mini, it's too polarizing.
post #1905 of 2745 Old 10-28-2011, 11:32 AM

Is Plex available to be controlled via iPad (1st version)? I'd love to be able to view movie covers on the ipad and tap the icon to play. I just discovered the 5508/5509 today which is shocking because the two receiver I own now are both Onkyo. How do these pre/pro compare with the Marantz AV7005?
post #1906 of 2745 Old 10-28-2011, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Some say the Marantz sounds better but I doubt it. I'm still trying to get my 5508 set up. My helper was to come over today but didn't make it.
post #1907 of 2745 Old 10-28-2011, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Fly Guy View Post

Is Plex available to be controlled via iPad (1st version)? I'd love to be able to view movie covers on the ipad and tap the icon to play. I just discovered the 5508/5509 today which is shocking because the two receiver I own now are both Onkyo. How do these pre/pro compare with the Marantz AV7005?

I had a Marantz AV7005 and compared it directly to the Onkyo 886P and now have a Onkyo 5508.

The Marantz beat the snot out of the 886P for music with it's smooth, mellow presentation. For movies the 886 won out in my system though as it presented a much more dynamic exciting sound that made the Marantz sound boring in comparison. I then purchased the 5508 and compared it to my 886 since the marantz was gone. Now I can listen to music again with the 5508 while not sacrificing the movie experience. The Marantz is still a really nice pre-amp and I really wanted to keep it due to it's music abilities and looks but the movie performance compared to the 886 was too big of a gap to give up IMO.

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #1908 of 2745 Old 10-28-2011, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Thats good to hear as a new 5508 owner.
post #1909 of 2745 Old 10-28-2011, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Some say the Marantz sounds better but I doubt it. I'm still trying to get my 5508 set up. My helper was to come over today but didn't make it.

I returned the marantz last week and no, the Onkyo is much better You've made the right choice for sure. The marantz was really laid back for home theater sound and just...DULL is the best word I could come up with. If your main priority was music, then maybe but I didn't try music. I wanted the prepro to sound great with both so I returned the Marantz. I'm totally satisfied now

Elite PRO-70X5FD!

dvdguru

Xbox Live Gamertag: AVS Steve
post #1910 of 2745 Old 10-28-2011, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I had it partially setup the day before yesterday and I must say I was very impressed. One step forward, two back as far as progress in getting it set up. While my helper was getting gear off the old rack one of the glass shelves shattered scattering shards of glass all over. Cleaning this up took a great deal of time and is still not complete. Nothing is plugged in yet/anymore, so I must do my watching and listening by using my computer and headphones.
post #1911 of 2745 Old 10-28-2011, 12:36 PM

There is a catch in my situation as to which I go with. Because of my employment the Marantz runs 1k. Is the 5508 good enough to justify that large of a difference?

It will be for 80% HT and 20% music/sports/games. I will be running Martin Logan Theos and Stage as my LCR setup on Emotiva xpa amps.
post #1912 of 2745 Old 10-28-2011, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There is a catch in my situation as to which I go with. Because of my employment the Marantz runs 1k. Is the 5508 good enough to justify that large of a difference?

It will be for 80% HT and 20% music/sports/games. I will be running Martin Logan Theos and Stage as my LCR setup on Emotiva xpa amps.

If I didn't know any better then I would just get the Marantz, since I have been fortunate enough to try them both in my system the $500 or so difference is well worth it. I am crazy though, the pre-amp I had prior to these was the $12K Halcro SSP-200 which I dumped when Halcro was having trouble. I have to admit though that I have been happy at how close the Onkyo 5508 has been to the Halcro that my upgradeitus is in remission for now

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #1913 of 2745 Old 10-28-2011, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I had it partially setup the day before yesterday and I must say I was very impressed. One step forward, two back as far as progress in getting it set up. While my helper was getting gear off the old rack one of the glass shelves shattered scattering shards of glass all over. Cleaning this up took a great deal of time and is still not complete. Nothing is plugged in yet/anymore, so I must do my watching and listening by using my computer and headphones.

Sorry about your troubles. Good luck on future set up
post #1914 of 2745 Old 10-28-2011, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Audyssey xt 32 is very important for those electrostatic speakers you have.
post #1915 of 2745 Old 10-28-2011, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I took some measurements using REW last night, but I did not save any :-( I saw a pretty significant dip in 200-2k area (almost -5 DB). Audyssey does not seem to correct this dip. It corrects the sub 100htz response beautifully. Any recommendations for getting rid of this dip? Shouldn't Audyssey correct this? I do not have a PRO version of Audyssey...

Speakers: Pioneer/TAD S-1EX, S-7EX, Ascend HTM200
Pre/Pro: Onkyo PR-SC5508,Bel Canto Pre-6, Sherwood 972
Amp: Outlaw 770
Source:Oppo 105, Ciunas DAC, SB Touch
post #1916 of 2745 Old 10-28-2011, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1000 View Post

I took some measurements using REW last night, but I did not save any :-( I saw a pretty significant dip in 200-2k area (almost -5 DB). Audyssey does not seem to correct this dip. It corrects the sub 100htz response beautifully. Any recommendations for getting rid of this dip? Shouldn't Audyssey correct this? I do not have a PRO version of Audyssey...

If I remember correctly the dip in the 2K area is by design, it's called midrange compensation. I know I can remove it with Audyssey pro but do not know if it is removable without. Some speakers greatly benefit with midrange compensation and other don't. If it sounds good to you then I wouldn't worry too much about the REW measurement, a flat response is not always the best response.

post #1917 of 2745 Old 10-28-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

Audyssey xt 32 is very important for those electrostatic speakers you have.

XT32 is important for ALL kinds of speakers.
post #1918 of 2745 Old 10-29-2011, 06:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Sorry to disagree. We agree on a lot though. I should have passed up commenting on the mac mini, it's too polarizing.

No worries, Theresa. Yes we do agree on many things it seems, so let's focus on what we share in common, not what we don't! The Mac vs Windows 'debate' will rage for ever more - it's boring! We like what we like - it's a free world (thank heavens).

Kind Regards,

Keith
post #1919 of 2745 Old 10-29-2011, 06:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes, Plex can be fully controlled via an iPad and you can browse you library on the iPad, tap a movie and it will play on your iPad or on your big screen. Plex also streams movies to any suitable device you own, including the iPad. You can watch half of a movie in your theatre, then move upstairs to the bathroom, watch 20 minutes on an iPad while getting ready for bed, and finish off the movie on your bedroom TV. It's an amazing program. We are way OT on it here, but there are dedicated threads for Plex (and it has its own forum on their site too).

Kind Regards,

Keith
post #1920 of 2745 Old 10-29-2011, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes it'll probably go on forever. What matter's here is the 5508.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Pr Sc5507 Pre Amplifier Home Theater Av Controller Preamp 9 2 Channel New
Gear in this thread - Sc5507 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page