Onkyo SC5508 Surround processor [No Price Talk] - Page 94 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2015, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
beekermartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,384
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Before I packaged up the 5508 to return to Onkyo I tried using an optical cable with the cable box. I still used HDMI for video but selected the optical input for the audio. It did the exact same thing as using HDMI for audio. Absolutely no difference. Clickity click click clicking!

Anyway, it is off to Onkyo. When I get it back I will post the results of the repair.
beekermartin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-23-2015, 11:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
beekermartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,384
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 18
My 886 is back in the rack until the 5508 returns. No clicking when changing channels, pausing, skipping, rewinding, etc. As it should be. I really hope the repair Onkyo does fixes this issue. I love the 5508 besides the clicking issue.
beekermartin is offline  
Old 12-24-2015, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member
 
Maddmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 506
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post
My 886 is back in the rack until the 5508 returns. No clicking when changing channels, pausing, skipping, rewinding, etc. As it should be. I really hope the repair Onkyo does fixes this issue. I love the 5508 besides the clicking issue.
I used to hate it but got use to it. After a while I depended on hearing it so I knew it responded to my request.

Definitive Technology:
Front - Mythos ST, Center - Mythos 10
Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gem XL
Sub - Supercube Ref
There can never be enough music
Maddmaster is offline  
Old 12-27-2015, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
beekermartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,384
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I will post my results when I receive the 5508 back. If it still clicks every time I pause, rewind or fast forward cable I will be selling it and buying a used Marantz 8801.

Last edited by beekermartin; 12-28-2015 at 09:44 AM.
beekermartin is offline  
Old 01-03-2016, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
Maddmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 506
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 26
My AV8802A finally came. In comparison to my 5508 the only click I hear from it is during power on and off. As far as sound quality it sounds more tame with a warmthness like a tube amp. Undecided whether to move the 5508 to another room in the house or put it up for sale.

Definitive Technology:
Front - Mythos ST, Center - Mythos 10
Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gem XL
Sub - Supercube Ref
There can never be enough music
Maddmaster is offline  
Old 01-03-2016, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
beekermartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,384
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmaster View Post
My AV8802A finally came. In comparison to my 5508 the only click I hear from it is during power on and off. As far as sound quality it sounds more tame with a warmthness like a tube amp. Undecided whether to move the 5508 to another room in the house or put it up for sale.
Which do you feel sounds better with movies and music? From everything I've read the 8802 should be the clear winner. I would love to get one but I will be happy with a 8801 for now.

I have been watching them on ebay. I was thinking about waiting until I receive the 5508 back from Onkyo but I know the clicking will still be an issue. I doubt whatever they do to the HDMI board will have any effect on the relays clicking.
beekermartin is offline  
Old 01-04-2016, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
Maddmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 506
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post
Which do you feel sounds better with movies and music? From everything I've read the 8802 should be the clear winner. I would love to get one but I will be happy with a 8801 for now.

I have been watching them on ebay. I was thinking about waiting until I receive the 5508 back from Onkyo but I know the clicking will still be an issue. I doubt whatever they do to the HDMI board will have any effect on the relays clicking.
I like the 8802A better. I didn't think my sound quality could get any better but I was wrong. It's more detailed without the harshness. I haven't given it the full movie critique yet but may get a chance later today or tomorrow.

Definitive Technology:
Front - Mythos ST, Center - Mythos 10
Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gem XL
Sub - Supercube Ref
There can never be enough music
Maddmaster is offline  
Old 01-04-2016, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
beekermartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,384
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I bought a Marantz 8801 on EBay tonight. Once I get the 5508 back from Onkyo I will be able to compare them. I imagine I'll be selling the 5508 and keeping the 8801. The relay clicking is too annoying for me in my setup. Hopefully I prefer the sound quality of the 8801 over the 5508. If I prefer the 5508 then it might make me rethink dealing with the clicking. I doubt that though.
beekermartin is offline  
Old 01-09-2016, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
beekermartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,384
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I received my 5508 back from Onkyo today. I had taking pictures of the HDMI board before I sent it to Onkyo. I checked the HDMI board today and it is a different board. It looks identical but the writing, some numbers, etc are different. So I know the board was replaced.

Anyway, I connected it to my Verizon Fios cable box and it is still doing the exact same thing. It clicks twice every time I change the channel, pause, rewind, fast forward, etc. I didn't leave it connected long enough to see if there was any audio dropouts but I will assume the new HDMI board fixed that issue

Regardless I can't deal with the clicking. I am going to install the Marantz 8801 tomorrow. Hopefully it works well and I like the sound quality. If that is the case I will be selling the 5508. At least whoever buys it won't have to worry about the HDMI board being bad.

Last edited by beekermartin; 01-10-2016 at 01:56 AM.
beekermartin is offline  
Old 01-11-2016, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
Posts: 5,575
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1612 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post
I received my 5508 back from Onkyo today. I had taking pictures of the HDMI board before I sent it to Onkyo. I checked the HDMI board today and it is a different board. It looks identical but the writing, some numbers, etc are different. So I know the board was replaced.

Anyway, I connected it to my Verizon Fios cable box and it is still doing the exact same thing. It clicks twice every time I change the channel, pause, rewind, fast forward, etc. I didn't leave it connected long enough to see if there was any audio dropouts but I will assume the new HDMI board fixed that issue

Regardless I can't deal with the clicking. I am going to install the Marantz 8801 tomorrow. Hopefully it works well and I like the sound quality. If that is the case I will be selling the 5508. At least whoever buys it won't have to worry about the HDMI board being bad.
the 8801 will sound a lot like the 5508
I made that change about a year
My 5508 was on its third shop visit and Onkyo sent me a brand new 5509 replacement

I didnt even open the 5509 box..I sold it and bought a Marantz 8801

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Marantz 8801 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 Vizio M50A2R Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Pioneer SC87 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Yamaha A2040 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
turnne1 is offline  
Old 01-11-2016, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
beekermartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,384
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I installed the 8801 on Saturday night but I didn't have time to finish. Hopefully I will have time tonight.
beekermartin is offline  
Old 01-18-2016, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
beekermartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,384
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I finished installing the 8801. It sounds great and is working perfectly in my setup. I will be selling my 886 and 5508. Thanks everyone for your help. I liked the sound quality improvement of the 5508 versus the 886 but the relay clicking was too annoying in my setup. I haven't spent a lot of time with the 8801 but so far it sounds at least as good and maybe better than the 5508. And no clicking!!!
beekermartin is offline  
Old 01-18-2016, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
Maddmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 506
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post
I finished installing the 8801. It sounds great and is working perfectly in my setup. I will be selling my 886 and 5508. Thanks everyone for your help. I liked the sound quality improvement of the 5508 versus the 886 but the relay clicking was too annoying in my setup. I haven't spent a lot of time with the 8801 but so far it sounds at least as good and maybe better than the 5508. And no clicking!!!
Congrats on your upgrade. Looks like we both have moved away from the 5508.

Definitive Technology:
Front - Mythos ST, Center - Mythos 10
Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gem XL
Sub - Supercube Ref
There can never be enough music
Maddmaster is offline  
Old 01-18-2016, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
beekermartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,384
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thanks! I really wanted to keep the 5508. It was a nice improvement in sound quality over the 886. I loved the 886s performance for movies. Once I got an Oppo 95 and used it's xlr outputs with the 886 I quickly realized how much better music could be. The 5508 was a nice improvement but the xlr outputs of the 95 still sounded better. Not as noticeable as the 886 but still slightly better. With the 8801 they sound almost identical. In a blind test I might get them wrong a few times. I need more time with the 8801 for a final conclusion but so far it seems to be another improvement over the 5508. Next step for me is room treatments.
beekermartin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 

Tags
Onkyo Pr Sc5507 Pre Amplifier Home Theater Av Controller Preamp 9 2 Channel New
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off