AVS Forum banner

Onkyo SC5508 Surround processor [No Price Talk]

231K views 3K replies 218 participants last post by  GeorgeHolland 
#1 ·
#2 ·
It looks like all it's changing is the HDMI to 1.4 compatible. If that's important to you, then you should have waited. I've been using my 5507 for about 8-9 months now and have been absolutely thrilled with it from all standpoints (it's in a closet, so the clicking with input changes/decoding isn't an issue). At this point, I have no interest in 3D, nor is it something I have any interest in pursuing within the forseeable future, i.e. 2-3 years, so I would opt for the 5507, but that's just me.

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by schroedk /forum/post/18999841

It looks like all it's changing is the HDMI to 1.4 compatible. If that's important to you, then you should have waited. I've been using my 5507 for about 8-9 months now and have been absolutely thrilled with it from all standpoints (it's in a closet, so the clicking with input changes/decoding isn't an issue). At this point, I have no interest in 3D, nor is it something I have any interest in pursuing within the forseeable future, i.e. 2-3 years, so I would opt for the 5507, but that's just me.

Yeah, I don't get the 3D thing, either. Also, why on earth would one want an audio return line from the TV to the pre/pro? I use a fiber connection between my satbox and the 5507.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchen_space /forum/post/19001809

Yeah, I don't get the 3D thing, either. Also, why on earth would one want an audio return line from the TV to the pre/pro? I use a fiber connection between my satbox and the 5507.

The only reason I can think of is if you have an internet (Netflix, etc. etc..) capable TV. The audio return line within the HDMI cable would save you from having to run an additional optical cable back to your AVR or pre/pro.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyaspie /forum/post/19001890

The only reason I can think of is if you have an internet (Netflix, etc. etc..) capable TV. The audio return line within the HDMI cable would save you from having to run an additional optical cable back to your AVR or pre/pro.

Ah, but what if your bluray player is i/net capable? In which case, you already have the HDMI connection between it and the pre/pro.

But how about this - why not have every device 1Gbit ethernet capable, and then simply plug all of them into an e/net router? Then you don't have to go point to point HDMI.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyaspie /forum/post/19001890

it's helpful for ota users as well...

but if i was me, i wouldn't go running out to buy all arc enabled equipment simply to eliminate one spdif cable...

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchen_space /forum/post/19001924

But how about this - why not have every device 1Gbit ethernet capable, and then simply plug all of them into an e/net router? Then you don't have to go point to point HDMI.

Well, then they couldn't sell suckers high-priced special cables rated for certain specification versions and with various connectors on the ends, could they?

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchen_space /forum/post/19001924

Ah, but what if your bluray player is i/net capable? In which case, you already have the HDMI connection between it and the pre/pro.

In that case arc would be redundit, as pretty soon everything will be HDMI 1.4 and incorporate arc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/19001932

it's helpful for ota users as well...

but if i was me, i wouldn't go running out to buy all arc enabled equipment simply to eliminate one spdif cable...

Good point about OTA.

Agree with you there. An optical cable really is no fuss, although then you'd have to switch inputs on your AVR.

#9 ·
I agree whole 100% with what everyone has said about the 5507. I've had mine for about 6 months and it's one amazing pre/pro on so many levels. Have not had one hint of a problem and it has specs I may never use but nice to know I have them. I had an Outlaw 950 for about 10 years and loved the thing to death but have no regrets upgrading to this fine machine. It will be a long, long time before I even consider retiring the 5507 from my HT. Buy one, you'll love it right out of the box.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by retate /forum/post/19123301

The PR-SC5508 US announcement was today with shipments to dealers to begin in September. The announcement indicates that it includes "MultEQ XT 32", but no indication that it will be "installer ready".

http://www.gspr.com/onkyo/onkyo3thx.html

I was waiting for the Integra DHC 80.2 to come out, but this is giving me second thoughts.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/19123400

No surprise.

How Onkyo is going to position the new products could still be a surprise. The 5508 announcement was made as an Onkyo announcement not Onkyo Pro. Whether this is a change in annoucement strategy or in distribution channel is unclear. With Denon now having Installer Ready receivers starting at $1199 (AVR-3311CI) may influence Onkyo's thinking in regards to where they make "installer ready" an option.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by retate /forum/post/19131074

How Onkyo is going to position the new products could still be a surprise. The 5508 announcement was made as an Onkyo announcement not Onkyo Pro. Whether this is a change in annoucement strategy or in distribution channel is unclear. With Denon now having Installer Ready receivers starting at $1199 (AVR-3311CI) may influence Onkyo's thinking in regards to where they make "installer ready" an option.

I think they have made it pretty clear that the Integra line will be the one that is "installer ready."

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by retate /forum/post/19131074

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/19131134

I think they have made it pretty clear that the Integra line will be the one that is "installer ready."

Hi Kal,

Yes, it seems so.

However, it is very clear that those folks with Onkyo PR-SC885 or PR-SC886 prepros that have invested in the Pro kit (or haved invested in Audyssey Installer Pro calibration) will never be upgrading to another Onkyo as long as Onkyo maintains this policy. Onkyo has to be careful that rather than inducing us to migrate to their sister Integra line, that they don't lose us entirely to another manufacturer altogether.

Larry

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryChanin /forum/post/19132602

However, it is very clear that those folks with Onkyo PR-SC885 or PR-SC886 prepros that have invested in the Pro kit (or haved invested in Audyssey Installer Pro calibration) will never be upgrading to another Onkyo as long as Onkyo maintains this policy. Onkyo has to be careful that rather than inducing us to migrate to their sister Integra line, that they don't lose us entirely to another manufacturer altogether.

Larry

Is that a real consideration? If you like(d) your Onkyo, why would you not go directly to Integra when you need to update? If you didn't like your Onkyo, why would you consider Integra?

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/19132826

Is that a real consideration? If you like(d) your Onkyo, why would you not go directly to Integra when you need to update? If you didn't like your Onkyo, why would you consider Integra?

While I probably will go with Integra if that is the only way I get an "installer ready" unit I chose an Onkyo 886 originally versus Integra because I liked the front panel look better, I was able to purchase it through a dealer I was comfortable with, and the rack mount kit was not a special order item. I would prefer to go a similar route on a new purchase.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryChanin /forum/post/19132602

Hi Kal,

Yes, it seems so.

Larry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/19132826

Hi Kal,

Good point Mr. Spock, but you'll find that when humans make buying decisions they are usually motivated by both logical and emotional components.

The fact is that the Integras generally cost more than the comparable Onkyo and, this may seem silly, but I prefer the cosmetics of the Onkyo over the Integra.
So when Onkyo blatantly maneuvers me to a more expensive unit they need to be careful that they haven't induced me to consider other more expensive units that I might not have considered in a straight forward Onkyo to Onkyo upgrade.

For what its worth, I have not liked what I have heard about customer service for either Onkyo or Integra, and I didn't appreciate the quality problems I experienced with my Onkyo. So from an emotional perspective I wouldn't need much to push me toward a competing Audyssey Pro enabled prepro with the right combination of features and price.

Larry

#19 ·
Oh boy. I guess we react differently to these matters. I see Onkyo and Integra as one company with a variety of offerings. Perhaps one reason to justify why the Integras are priced higher is the inclusion of the features you find lacking in the Onkyo. As for the cosmetics, that is a matter of taste.

OTOH, I would not presume to deter anyone from acting on their own preferences.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/19133749

I see Onkyo and Integra as one company with a variety of offerings. Perhaps one reason to justify why the Integras are priced higher is the inclusion of the features you find lacking in the Onkyo.

Hi Kal,

Yes, that is precisely the problem.

Prior to the Onkyo PR-SC5507 the Onkyo PrePros advertised that they were Audyssey Pro capable. Now, starting with the 5507 and continuing with the 5508, Audyssey Pro capability is no longer offered. The desired result of Onkyo/Integra's new policy is to induce folks interested in Audyssey Pro to NOW pay more for the Integra.

Larry

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryChanin /forum/post/19133841

Hi Kal,

Prior to the Onkyo PR-SC5507 the Onkyo PrePros advertised that they were Audyssey Pro capable. Now, starting with the 5507 and continuing with the 5508, Audyssey Pro capability is no longer offered. The desired result of Onkyo/Integra's new policy is to induce folks interested in Audyssey Pro to NOW pay more for the Integra.

Larry

Onkyo has realized the future lies in the boutique brick and mortar dealers.

The very idea of buying a product like this over the Internet is merely a passing fad.

Worry not, the market should provide the necessary correction.

The 708 and 808 receivers no longer include Neural THX surround modes.

There seems to be an effort to remove features that cost next to nothing to provide differentiation in the products.

Works great in a world without competition.

- Rich

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryChanin /forum/post/19133841

Hi Kal,

Larry

Exactly. Marketing strategy.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB /forum/post/19135106

Onkyo has realized the future lies in the boutique brick and mortar dealers.

The very idea of buying a product like this over the Internet is merely a passing fad.

Worry not, the market should provide the necessary correction.

The 708 and 808 receivers no longer include Neural THX surround modes.

There seems to be an effort to remove features that cost next to nothing to provide differentiation in the products.

Works great in a world without competition.

- Rich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/19135559

Exactly. Marketing strategy.

Hi Guys,

Yes, a dubious marketing strategy that is predicated on limited competition.

As Bob points out, competition, both in terms of Audyssey Pro features and price can come from certain receivers.

Larry

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterix007 /forum/post/19152899

PR-SC5508 ordered today !

Congratulations!

Please do give your first impressions.

I am particularly curious about the networking as the Receivers in the 8 series have been having a great deal of trouble.

- Rich

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.