"Official" Yamaha RX-A1000/RX-A2000/RX-A3000 thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 8871 Old 09-08-2010, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Let me know if you need any help, I've got a mac mini plugged into mine and i use it for 90% of what I do. The web based UI is pretty user friendly, and it's nice to be able to turn on the receiver from a computer (providing you turn on that setting).

I also had two questions regarding my RX-A1000
1. Should I have the video processing on for the 3d blu-ray player or let the player do the processing? I know it probably depends on the player and mine is the DMP-BDP100....

2. This is more of a network questions regarding this receiver, but since the user control panel is web based, theoretically I should be able to view it just like a web page on my blackberry and control it from there. That being said I know i can just punch in 192.168.1.x. and have it pull it up because it will try and find that on the web and error out. HOWEVER, if I turn off the network and just use the wifi on my blackberry it would be on my internal network and should pull it up, but it doesn't..... I know this is a stretch on this thread but if anyone had any advice that would be cool. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 8871 Old 09-08-2010, 01:05 PM

Just purchased the RX-A2000 which will be replacing my HK AVR-745.

I will post updates sound/quality... all the @#%@#%^ once installed.

I pick it up Friday.
post #273 of 8871 Old 09-08-2010, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
froh,
Where did you buy the RX-A2000 from and keep us posted on your experience with the A2000.

post #274 of 8871 Old 09-08-2010, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 519audiofan View Post

I haven't really been following Yamaha's new recievers since purchasing my 3900 but it is nice to see the ability to decode flac.

This is one of the best new specs on these units. We can play 24 bit Flac files w/o any add'l equipment. This is huge for me, I could care less about 3D movies.
post #275 of 8871 Old 09-08-2010, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Could someone who has one of these units check for the issue mentioned here. i.e. start playing a CD from a device connected by HDMI, then turn your TV on or off and see if it interrupts the sound from the CD (the TV should be connected by HDMI to the receiver too).

I'm not sure this problem is limited to Yamaha, and it might depend on the TV too.
post #276 of 8871 Old 09-08-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

Could someone who has one of these units check for the issue mentioned here. i.e. start playing a CD from a device connected by HDMI, then turn your TV on or off and see if it interrupts the sound from the CD (the TV should be connected by HDMI to the receiver too).

I'm not sure this problem is limited to Yamaha, and it might depend on the TV too.

I don't have an RX-A, but the complaint you're linking to is about an HTR-3063, which I'm pretty sure is basically an RX-V367. It probably has less in common with the RX-A1000+ than any receiver Yamaha makes. Why don't you look in one of the lower end Yamaha threads and see if anybody other than the person who posted that complaint is having a similar problem (especially considering that most of those AVRs have been available for a while).
post #277 of 8871 Old 09-08-2010, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzhokhar View Post

I don't have an RX-A, but the complaint you're linking to is about an HTR-3063, which I'm pretty sure is basically an RX-V367.

True, but I'd like to know if the RX-A series behaves the same. It sounds like an HDMI handshake issue that might or might not be handled better by the A series. My older RX-V1800 does the same thing, but since I usually turn everything on at the same time I rarely notice it. When I do, it's the PS3 startup sound that cuts out for a second or two if I happen to turn on my projector while the sound is playing.
post #278 of 8871 Old 09-08-2010, 07:37 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadnbrkn84 View Post

I also had two questions regarding my RX-A1000
1. Should I have the video processing on for the 3d blu-ray player or let the player do the processing? I know it probably depends on the player and mine is the DMP-BDP100....

Can't help you there, but from what others in this thread have said, the 2K and 3K have sooper-dooper processing. The 1K, not quite as nice. Try 'em both, see which one you like better?

Quote:

2. This is more of a network questions regarding this receiver, but since the user control panel is web based, theoretically I should be able to view it just like a web page on my blackberry and control it from there. That being said I know i can just punch in 192.168.1.x. and have it pull it up because it will try and find that on the web and error out. HOWEVER, if I turn off the network and just use the wifi on my blackberry it would be on my internal network and should pull it up, but it doesn't..... I know this is a stretch on this thread but if anyone had any advice that would be cool. Thanks!

When you say "turn off the network," do you mean turn off the Blackberry's global network connection (3g or whatever)?

Are you able to connect to the receiver by browser from another computer in your local network?
Are you able to connect to other devices from your blackberry's wifi connection?
If yes to both, Idunno.... if no to either, then you probably don't have DHCP setup properly, or your network is password/key protected (this is good), or a firewall is blocking access. Check your router settings?
post #279 of 8871 Old 09-08-2010, 08:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:

True, but I'd like to know if the RX-A series behaves the same. It sounds like an HDMI handshake issue that might or might not be handled better by the A series. My older RX-V1800 does the same thing, but since I usually turn everything on at the same time I rarely notice it. When I do, it's the PS3 startup sound that cuts out for a second or two if I happen to turn on my projector while the sound is playing.

Any AVR will require a new HDMI handshake when the monitor is turned off or on. That means an interruption in the audio for a couple seconds or more.
post #280 of 8871 Old 09-08-2010, 08:17 PM

right guys, i have been looking and looking....and looking at the a3000 manual as i have let go of something very special to get this receiver.

mastermaybe i am in a very similiar boat to you. i purchased a 7 channel power amp to get the power up to what i had. i have used all my might to try and figure a solution for amping the 7 main speakers, using the yammie for front presence and a zone (3), and pre-outs to another zone (2) fed to an amp at the back of the house.

whilst i havent completely sorted it out there is one anomaly in the 14 pre-set configurations that should give us hope.

in all the configurations there is no possibility to externally amp the center channel (or the surrounds i suspect-but definitely the center). yet there is a center channel preout! surely this means that- plug that pre-out into a power amp and your done.

this leads me to believe that any of the configurations that use no kind of amp/pre-amp assignability for the 7 main channels could just be externally amplified.

its like doing algebra with no paper trying to figure it all out without the receiver in front of me.

i think the hdmi zone b, zone 4 digital (only) with hd over component, web control, awesome scaler and flac support is possibly worth the risk.

i will be back (once i can try it out) until then if anyone else can chime in i need all the info i can get until they are released. hungry for it.

New Zealand
post #281 of 8871 Old 09-08-2010, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Any AVR will require a new HDMI handshake when the monitor is turned off or on. That means an interruption in the audio for a couple seconds or more.

Some of the newer HDMI chips claim much faster handshaking (e.g. Silicon Image with their "InstaPort" feature). I suppose it's too much to ask that they might actually support a basic feature like playing audio without interruption.
post #282 of 8871 Old 09-08-2010, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

Some of the newer HDMI chips claim much faster handshaking (e.g. Silicon Image with their "InstaPort" feature). I suppose it's too much to ask that they might actually support a basic feature like playing audio without interruption.

Easier to ask for their firstborn son, or prettiest daughter!

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #283 of 8871 Old 09-08-2010, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

2. This is more of a network questions regarding this receiver, but since the user control panel is web based, theoretically I should be able to view it just like a web page on my blackberry and control it from there. That being said I know i can just punch in 192.168.1.x. and have it pull it up because it will try and find that on the web and error out. HOWEVER, if I turn off the network and just use the wifi on my blackberry it would be on my internal network and should pull it up, but it doesn't.....

I could be mistaken, but I believe that all data in/out from your BlackBerry passes through RIM's servers. In other words, your BlackBerry "tunnels" to RIM's servers for web access. Hence, you cannot access local IP addresses.

AJ
post #284 of 8871 Old 09-08-2010, 09:35 PM

snoots, and froh:

The two of you made my day when you posted that you've purchased an RX-A2000. Finally, someone with an AVR with the Vida video processor.

IDT is claiming that one of the benefits of its Vida video processor is: " Powerful on-the -fly clean-up of streaming video, regardless of source."

I've gotten into the habit of ending the evening by watching YouTube videos from one of my TiVo S-3s if I was watching HDTV via Comcast, or from my LG 390 BD player if I'd been watching a BD. On my 159" screen, YouTube really sucks big time, as you can imagine.

I'm hoping that the Vida will improve the PQ of the YouTube videos, and improve some of the HDTV shows via Comcast, on my huge screen. I believe that the noise reduction feature of the Vida in your RX-A2000 is what IDT calls "HQV StreamClean"......correct???

If either or both of you have access to YouTube, and/or Comcast, please set this feature to Auto, and post your opinions. Thanks in advance.

P.S.
I'm having second thoughts about purchasing an RX-A3000 when it becomes available.......should we be spending $1K-$3K on an AVR in this economy???

I have the cash, but my ancient Denon 2307 still sounds great.....
post #285 of 8871 Old 09-08-2010, 09:36 PM
VGI
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Guys

I put a RXA1000 into my demo system last week and took out the denon 3311.. By far hands down right out of the box, I am 100% blown away as the audio quality is smoother and much easier to listen to.. The HDMI switching while turned off is awesome as I have a 65 Pana VT25 3d set and it has great sound when the Signature Paradigm system is turned down..

The problem is and I am bummed to find this is its doing the same thing the Onkyo series was doing and that is when the Directv 3d picture is passed through the RXAXXXX it does something with the signal and the pana TV (Sams as well) and the tv doesnt go into 3d mode... You of course can manually go into the tv and change the mode but you coud never do this all day..

I spoke to yamaha and they told me they have a software fix for the other series coming soon but they didnt say when Aventage gets the fix..

The Aventage as per the yamaha guys is 2 years in the making and they spent alot of energy to get it right ( except for the 3d thing)

The new scene control is quite interesting as you can have a ton of setting associated to a scene.. There are no more hard inputs for BD/DVD TV etc.. Its all scene based and AV input based.. Quite smart and reminds me of the Theta Casbablanca that we work with all the time..

So far I am blown away from this thing and if they fix the 3d thing soon, I believe its one of the best receiver lines ever.

I did get in the Marantz 7005's a few days ago and I am going to open one and A/B compare it to the RXA series and this will be very interesting..

I am hoping it does well and the people saying that the marantz is just rebadged Denon have no idea. We spoke with the Marantz Vps today and they assured us they do share some knowledge but the new Marantz like is from the ground up like the RXA series..

Bottom line is that its a great time to shop for new receivers with tons of amazing features for great prices.

Thanks
Craig
post #286 of 8871 Old 09-09-2010, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post

froh,
Where did you buy the RX-A2000 from and keep us post on your experience with the A2000.

I bought the unit from Flint Audio in Prov RI - he took 300 off the price and put me over the fence.

I should pick it up today if the shipping gods behave. I will post photos of EVERYTHING (YAY for Droid X).

The unit it's replacing was the older HK flagship unit so I'm very curious about overall sound quality.

The setup will be heard via
Klipsch quintet surrounds and possibly presence
F-30's up front
2 subs (one 10 inch, 400 watt and xw-300)
Center is: Icon

I'm going to bi-amp the F-3's and i'm not sure based on room size if I should go with the presence...

I'll be neck deep in setup tonight (crosses fingers on shipping)

I'm very curious on the picture quality i'm going to be hooking this all up to a Samsung PN63C8000 3d plasma. TV link

So the vida chip should have some work cut out for it with those 63inches :-)

more to come... going to talk with the guy today about an amp and possibly some speaker upgrades and such..

P.S. VGI I'll see what's up with the 3d issue with my unit... the samsung TV has that option to convert 2d into a somewhat 3d and also i'll put on some 3d PS3 games once setup and see if I can replicate the issue with the 2000.
post #287 of 8871 Old 09-09-2010, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhunter View Post

snoots, and froh:
P.S.
I'm having second thoughts about purchasing an RX-A3000 when it becomes available.......should we be spending $1K-$3K on an AVR in this economy???

I have the cash, but my ancient Denon 2307 still sounds great.....

Um... chea! How else we going to stimulate the economy??? Well told the GF that hahaha...

I was torn with my old receiver as well the HK-745 sounds great no issues there... I just wanted an updated AVR that didn't require splitting out of audio and video and having to redue wiring everytime I added something to the system... yay back to only HDMI and some analog's for the zone 2 setup.
post #288 of 8871 Old 09-09-2010, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhunter View Post

snoots, and froh:

If either or both of you have access to YouTube, and/or Comcast, please set this feature to Auto, and post your opinions. Thanks in advance.

Yes - i'm stuck with Comcast until something else can get to my town!!! freaking company has deals that havn't expired yet... more to come tomorrow.
post #289 of 8871 Old 09-09-2010, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

VGI you stated The HDMI switching while turned off is awesome.

What exactly are saying that it passes video and audio to your tv without being turned on as well as allowing switching of inputs will off?

I am keenly interested in this yammy as back in the day (80s) i was really into them for my two channel desires.
post #290 of 8871 Old 09-09-2010, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

UPS just delivered my 2000. I got it from ABT outer box was damaged a bit inner Yamaha box is pristene. Can't wait to take it home and get going on setting it up.
post #291 of 8871 Old 09-09-2010, 10:15 AM

There is still something i can't understand from the manual.
With the a2000 & a3000 can you drive 9.1 speakers?
Or you need an external amp for the presence speakers?

If not, what would be a good amp for presence?

thanks
post #292 of 8871 Old 09-09-2010, 10:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_donkey View Post

There is still something i can't understand from the manual.
With the a2000 & a3000 can you drive 9.1 speakers?

All 3 models are 7-ch amps.
post #293 of 8871 Old 09-09-2010, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

All 3 models are 7-ch amps.

Or more specifically, the AVR itself can handle 7 speakers, and on the 3000 at least, has pre-outs for the remaining 4.1/4.2 setup totaling 11.1/11.2 possible using a combination of the Yamaha + external amps for the remaining speakers above the original 7.

These AVRs are fairly flexible with the speaker arrangement, though the Denons have them beat slightly for a couple esoteric setups. Your options are severely limited if you bi-amp via the Yamaha though, and if you have any speakers less than 8 ohms in the mix, don't bi-amp - it isn't worth risking your shiny new toy blowing its caps or frying the inductors from the heat stress.

Edit for grammatical yahoo. Or something.

When a Priest says they're going to Flash you, it isn't for healing.

post #294 of 8871 Old 09-09-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGI View Post

The problem is and I am bummed to find this is its doing the same thing the Onkyo series was doing and that is when the Directv 3d picture is passed through the RXAXXXX it does something with the signal and the pana TV (Sams as well) and the tv doesnt go into 3d mode... You of course can manually go into the tv and change the mode but you coud never do this all day..

Thanks
Craig

I have basically the same setup as you (65VT25, A1000, etc) and I dont have the directv like you do, but playing a 3d blu-ray I've had no issues at all. It feeds the signal into the A1000 and then the A1000 into the tv, and no problems at all. TV kicks into 3d mode and it works great. Maybe it's something to do with the direct tv box?
post #295 of 8871 Old 09-09-2010, 02:32 PM

I'm in the market for a new receiver and have been following this thread and the Pio SC-35/37 thread as well. One thing I don't remember seeing mentioned is whether any of the new Yamaha or Pio receivers have capability to connect (direct or via access point) to a wireless LAN. My internet connection is at the far side of the room from my A/V system and I don't want to run 50' of ethernet cable.

Any info?
post #296 of 8871 Old 09-09-2010, 03:26 PM
bwb

Quote:
Originally Posted by conversr View Post

I'm in the market for a new receiver and have been following this thread and the Pio SC-35/37 thread as well. One thing I don't remember seeing mentioned is whether any of the new Yamaha or Pio receivers have capability to connect (direct or via access point) to a wireless LAN. My internet connection is at the far side of the room from my A/V system and I don't want to run 50' of ethernet cable.

Any info?

Invest in a wireless bridge. Worked perfectly for me and I can plug all my net-enabled devices into it.

bwb
post #297 of 8871 Old 09-09-2010, 03:27 PM

Man, not that i know of. Everything is ethernet. Do you just not want to run it because you dont want an extra cable? A 50ft cat5e cable is less then $5 at monoprice?
post #298 of 8871 Old 09-10-2010, 01:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have basically the same setup as you (65VT25, A1000, etc) and I dont have the directv like you do, but playing a 3d blu-ray I've had no issues at all. It feeds the signal into the A1000 and then the A1000 into the tv, and no problems at all. TV kicks into 3d mode and it works great. Maybe it's something to do with the direct tv box?

His issue is likely that his AVR is set to have video conversion active, and that does inject the AVR's alterations, even when the AVR is off and not being used (offline passthrough mode). A quick test would be to disable all video conversion and see if that alleviates the problem.

post #299 of 8871 Old 09-10-2010, 05:01 AM
Advanced Member

Oh man, Yamaha's website is like, missing in action. I get a Network Solutions domain page on any attempt to go to any Yamaha address!

Somebody forgot to pay their bills.

post #300 of 8871 Old 09-10-2010, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy Tia View Post

Oh man, Yamaha's website is like, missing in action. I get a Network Solutions domain page on any attempt to go to any Yamaha address!

Somebody forgot to pay their bills.

Working here on my end. Check must have been cashed.

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening https://vimeo.com/63119329
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page