"Official" Yamaha RX-A1000/RX-A2000/RX-A3000 thread - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 8862 Old 09-15-2010, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does the RX-A2000 have independent distance, level and EQ controls for two subs? If yes, what is the subwoofer channel EQ frequency range?
Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 8862 Old 09-15-2010, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoB View Post

Does the RX-A2000 have independent distance, level and EQ controls for two subs? If yes, what is the subwoofer channel EQ frequency range?

Yes, the A2000 supports two subs with independent distance, level and EQ. If the EQ is the same as the RX-V3900 then you'll probably have four parametric equalizer bands for each sub, but the frequency of each band is limited to 1/3 octave intervals starting at 31.3Hz. Better than nothing but not great for fixing room modes at precise frequencies.

However, the A2000 is supposed to have improved YPAO, so perhaps things changed. Someone with a 2000 needs to go into the menu and see what frequencies can be selected manually.
post #393 of 8862 Old 09-15-2010, 03:32 PM

Thank you. Sounds very encouraging!
post #394 of 8862 Old 09-15-2010, 10:58 PM

Really wanted to get RXA1000, but I'm afraid it's a little too pricey.
I am thinking of going with the 800 series...I think the big thing I lose is the network capability, but honestly I don't know that I would use it.
We generally just use it for movies/TV and music listening.
For an average user, can anyone come up with compelling reasons to spend the extra $300?
Thanks!
post #395 of 8862 Old 09-15-2010, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjinca View Post

I am thinking of going with the 800 series...I think the big thing I lose is the network capability, but honestly I don't know that I would use it.
For an average user, can anyone come up with compelling reasons to spend the extra $300?
Thanks!

i think in terms of sound quality the jump from 800 to 1000 would be one of the bigger jumps in the whole range

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/compare/De..._items=5125514

note the increased weight, burr brown dacs, this of course could be met satisfactorily by adding external amplification and high quality cd player. However sending any audio streams over a digital connection would not see the same results on the 800 as the 1000. Personally the addition of usb is worth mentioning also for the ability to store uncompressed music.

then there is a little more of everything else connection wise etc etc.

of course $300 doesnt sound as much here 'down under' where a ps3 game is $120-$140.

New Zealand
post #396 of 8862 Old 09-16-2010, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiguy View Post

i think in terms of sound quality the jump from 800 to 1000 would be one of the bigger jumps in the whole range

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/compare/De..._items=5125514

note the increased weight, burr brown dacs, this of course could be met satisfactorily by adding external amplification and high quality cd player. However sending any audio streams over a digital connection would not see the same results on the 800 as the 1000. Personally the addition of usb is worth mentioning also for the ability to store uncompressed music.

then there is a little more of everything else connection wise etc etc.

of course $300 doesnt sound as much here 'down under' where a ps3 game is $120-$140.

I have to agree with kiwiguy here. 800 to 1000 is the first big jump in terms
of quality overall. (sound and build quality also)
Then I see another significant jump from 1000 to 2000 although
not as much as the 800 to 1000 jump. Just my thoughts ..
post #397 of 8862 Old 09-16-2010, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakar80124 View Post

So on the A3000 looks to me like you can have a 11.2 system AND still have Zone2 using external amplification. However I don't have any desire to run rear presence speakers.

But I might later add front presence speakers. Who has these and how much benefit do you get from them? How good of quality do front presence speakers need to be? I have 3 large very good quality main speakers, will adding some piddly little front presence speakers ruin my sound? Would a 60-watt amp be plenty for something like that as well?

Quote:

IMO front presence is a necessity if you use a front projector, the dialog lift is very effective and the 3d effects work very very well. The dark night is a great example as it has a very eerie high pitched sound through alot of the movie to add tension, with front presence this is projected high over your head and kind of looms down on the audience. Obviously effects such as rain etc work very well too, but that eerie sound from the dark night really took me by surprise probably because it only exists in the front sound stage so was very apparent.

as for speaker match i chose a small pair of bookshelf speakers from the same range as my fronts, really you want to try and match the tweeters as there is not really any bass coming through them. For that reason a 60 watt amp would be ample and the z11 only has 50 watt on hand for presence.

up untill now the only receivers that had the ability to run front presence with a 7ch theater at the same time was/is the Z9 and Z11. Its a great time to be in the market!

any speakers used for presence will be an improvement IMO over no presence, try to match tweeters/ upper frequency response.

my understanding is extra bass used to be bass out both, effectively sharing lfe with sub and front speakers, this means that in all modes but pure direct the sub will kick in, another thing to consider is 2ch stereo mode will utilise the room correction from the YPAO and can sound very very good.

I also am a fan of using dialog lift with the Yamaha AVR's if you are using a front projection setup. It really has made a difference in centering the dialog in the center of the screen vs localizing underneath it.

As for the type of speakers to use for the presence, try to match them up with your mains as kiwiguy mentions. I've experimented with HTIB satellite speakers to large bookshelf speakers in the same line as my mains. Bottom line it does make a difference with the larger, better speakers.

One more thing is to be sure to get a good distance height wise between the mains and presence speakers. Yamaha also recommends placing them outside of the mains, while I'm directly above them.

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening https://vimeo.com/63119329
post #398 of 8862 Old 09-16-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

Probably sends bass to the mains AND the sub output. If that's true, I have not liked the results in the past. Try it out for yourself, of course.

It does send the output to sub and large speakers up front. Having dual 10's in the front speakers and a sub makes the bass a little much if you're trying to watch something like Boston Legal. I did like the extra bass when i watched Inglorious Bastards on regular DVD (someone had their bluray player blown up by lightning).

As for the 1000 i don't really like that i seem to have to choose between biamping the fronts OR being able to run my speaker pair on the deck. I thought i could do both without any extra pieces/equipment. The main issue i guess is that the sound is freakin awesome when biamping so i leave it like that and if i want party mode then i use it after changing amp config to 7.1+zone2 from 5.1+biamp. Makes the inside sound a little too midrange-chep-speakerish but in a party no one would notice.
post #399 of 8862 Old 09-16-2010, 10:06 AM

Ok so if it sends it to both the sub and the mains but the crossover is at 60hz it'll still cut off at 60hz and send anything lower to just the sub?
post #400 of 8862 Old 09-16-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadnbrkn84 View Post

Ok so if it sends it to both the sub and the mains but the crossover is at 60hz it'll still cut off at 60hz and send anything lower to just the sub?

it will send bass that is not part of an lfe track to the sub such as when listening to music and will send lfe track to the mains (and sub) is my understanding.

i think the sub will still only get 60hz and below but your speakers will get full range 20hz-20khz. It is more a case for giving the sub information when a lfe track is not present as with music.

is this what others understanding is? could have changed with the new name.

New Zealand
post #401 of 8862 Old 09-16-2010, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

it will send bass that is not part of an lfe track to the sub such as when listening to music and will send lfe track to the mains (and sub) is my understanding.

i think the sub will still only get 60hz and below but your speakers will get full range 20hz-20khz. It is more a case for giving the sub information when a lfe track is not present as with music.

is this what others understanding is? could have changed with the new name.

For features like Exra Bass, which gives bass output to both sub and mains, you'll have to set the speakers to Large, otherwise AFAIK you can't even select Extra Bass (it's disabled). That means you get the full range for the speakers, and the sub also gets whatever is below the crossover point unless it is the LFE track, in which case the sub gets the full LFE bandwidth, in addition to the mains getting the LFE track as well. The latter is only really useful if your mains have a lower -3db limit of 30 Hz or lower, otherwise the rolloff is just too steep.

When a Priest says they're going to Flash you, it isn't for healing.

post #402 of 8862 Old 09-16-2010, 08:08 PM
mka

I just bought the RX-A2000 although I won't have it set up for a few days. For anyone living in the San Francisco Bay Area, I just want to let you know that there is a store in Santa Clara that has fantastic price for the unit that is much lower than what I have seen on the internet. I don't think we are allowed to talk prices or specific stores here, but you would be able to find the store using the Yamaha store locator at the Yamaha site. (The only connection that I have to this store is that I bought my RX-3800 there several years ago.)
post #403 of 8862 Old 09-16-2010, 08:30 PM

My 5.1 surround speakers are packed away for now to avoid my young children from grabbing them. Using 2 active front speakers only. Considering the Yamaha RX-A series, Denon 3311, and Onkyo 808 receivers. Also thought about a processor only but might want the receiver so I can use my non-powered surround speakers down the road.

My main usage will be streaming FLAC and MP3 from my HTPC to the receiver through ethernet to the stereo front speakers. Also will play with Bluray playback streaming the audio to the receiver to decode.

Questions:
1. Do you think there will be substantial sound quality difference between receivers since only the pre-amp section and processor is used?
2. Do you think there is much sound quality difference going from the RX-A1000 to the RX-A2000 for stereo?
3. Does YPAO (or Audyssey MultEQ) even make much of a difference for 2 channel use?
4. Most of my video use is watching HD from our cable box. The biggest issue with HD from cable seems to be compression pixellation from the cable company. Will I even utilize the upscaling features of an AV Receiver?

I'm really curious since I heard from a local store that the Adventage line had excellent audio compared to recent Yamaha models. They're biased though since the sell Yamaha. Thanks.
post #404 of 8862 Old 09-16-2010, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mka View Post

I just bought the RX-A2000 although I won't have it set up for a few days. For anyone living in the San Francisco Bay Area, I just want to let you know that there is a store in Santa Clara that has fantastic price for the unit that is much lower than what I have seen on the internet. I don't think we are allowed to talk prices or specific stores here, but you would be able to find the store using the Yamaha store locator at the Yamaha site. (The only connection that I have to this store is that I bought my RX-3800 there several years ago.)

plz send me the link for this site or tel no?
post #405 of 8862 Old 09-17-2010, 06:09 AM

So now that I have the basic 7.2 setup up and dialed in I'm going to add two additional pressence speakers using my existing surrounds and purchase two new surround L/R's. I'm then going to bi-amp my front towers and see how it sounds with a 9.2 setup.

Questions: I'm using mainly Klipsch loudspeakers for everything so far... I'm wondering if rs-42's would be a nice fit for the current amps. Or maybe I should go bigger/smaller... havn't heard these yet. *suggestions???*

also - I'm going to need an external amp to power the front pressence and rear surround backs.

Anyone have a good suggestion for an amp that will do what I need for this?

This will be my first amp. awwwwwwe.
post #406 of 8862 Old 09-17-2010, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by froh View Post

So now that I have the basic 7.2 setup up and dialed in I'm going to add two additional pressence speakers using my existing surrounds and purchase two new surround L/R's. I'm then going to bi-amp my front towers and see how it sounds with a 9.2 setup.

Questions: I'm using mainly Klipsch loudspeakers for everything so far... I'm wondering if rs-42's would be a nice fit for the current amps. Or maybe I should go bigger/smaller... havn't heard these yet. *suggestions???*

also - I'm going to need an external amp to power the front pressence and rear surround backs.

Anyone have a good suggestion for an amp that will do what I need for this?

This will be my first amp. awwwwwwe.

If you're going to get any external amps, my suggestion is to get a pair of two channel amps (Emotiva XPA-2 x2 is a good starter set) and bi-amp using those, while letting the Yamaha's internal amps take care of the speakers that it can handle physically. You'll get far superior results bi-amping externally and letting the Yamaha handle the lesser powered speakers itself.

As an added bonus, going external and using each XPA-2 (or the amplifier you end up getting) for one speaker (Left channel for bass array, right channel for mid/high array for a single speaker, for each amp), you eliminate virtually all crosstalk. Since your speakers' own crossovers will do the work of filtering the signal either way, you may as well get more power out of it.

As for me, I was kind of bummed as I just read the A3000 manual right now and saw this:

Quote:
■Connections of speakers
■Assigning a speaker configuration

Connecting surround back speakers to an external amplifier enables simultaneous use of front speakers that support bi-amp connection and surround back speakers.

FRONT jacks Front L/R speakers (bi-amp)
CENTER jack Center speaker
SURROUND jacks Surround L/R speakers
SURROUND BACK jacks Front L/R speakers (bi-amp)
SUR.BACK (PRE OUT) jacks External amplifier
(for surround back L/R speakers)
SUBWOOFER (PRE OUT) jackJ3 Subwoofer
Power Amp Assign 5ch BI-AMP + SB

I guess this answers my question of whether or not the pre-outs are also set for bi-amp (bass for front L/R and mid/high for SurrBack pre-outs). They are not, sadly. So for me this leaves the A units' SCENE functionality as the sole reason I'd want to upgrade. Unfortunately this makes the Integra DHC-80.2/Onkyo PRSC-5508 look a lot more attractive to me.

Guess I'll know for sure when the A3000s hit the B&Ms here in the bay area.

post #407 of 8862 Old 09-17-2010, 06:52 AM

Hello everyone – thought I’d introduce myself before jumping into the fray.

I’m just an average mid-level AV consumer with 480p eyes and RCA hearing looking for a new receiver.

After 10 years my Yamaha finally decided to ride off into the sunset. I believe the power supply is going since it has developed a habit of turning itself off after whatever amount of time it feels it’s worked hard enough. I don’t blame it, I suppose I’m not much different the older I get.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...-receiver.html

In any case, all my friends are trying to convince me of buying anything but Yamaha. I’ve only ever really auditioned a Denon and Onkyo and my ears were not overly fond of the Denon’s sound or the Onkyo’s heat. Of course it’s impossible to compare most of this stuff side-by-side where I live - just big-box stores.

I’m still leaning towards Yamaha and the new Aventage rx-a2000 has gotten my interest. Things that I’m curious about besides sound quality and connectivity are solid networking, DLNA, USB playback, Passive HDMI switching (for the wife) and heat dissipation.

With the exception of this forum and the contributors has anyone seen a review on the Aventage line of AVR’s.? It does not seem to have any coverage to date. I would have thought these would be reviewed in the major HT publications a good month or two before the release to retailers.

Thanks to everyone with systems for sharing their experiences and I look forward to the discussions.

Peace - VaPackerFan
post #408 of 8862 Old 09-17-2010, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy Tia View Post

For features like Exra Bass, which gives bass output to both sub and mains, you'll have to set the speakers to Large, otherwise AFAIK you can't even select Extra Bass (it's disabled). That means you get the full range for the speakers, and the sub also gets whatever is below the crossover point unless it is the LFE track, in which case the sub gets the full LFE bandwidth, in addition to the mains getting the LFE track as well. The latter is only really useful if your mains have a lower -3db limit of 30 Hz or lower, otherwise the rolloff is just too steep.

What I did was go into equalizer and make my own -3db 30hz roll off on the front speakers with extra bass "on".

This allows the sub to play the lower notes without having too much overlap or pushing the fronts into distortion.

My crossover is set at 60hz.
post #409 of 8862 Old 09-17-2010, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy Tia View Post

If you're going to get any external amps, my suggestion is to get a pair of two channel amps (Emotiva XPA-2 x2 is a good starter set) and bi-amp using those, while letting the Yamaha's internal amps take care of the speakers that it can handle physically. You'll get far superior results bi-amping externally and letting the Yamaha handle the lesser powered speakers itself.

As an added bonus, going external and using each XPA-2 (or the amplifier you end up getting) for one speaker (Left channel for bass array, right channel for mid/high array for a single speaker, for each amp), you eliminate virtually all crosstalk. Since your speakers' own crossovers will do the work of filtering the signal either way, you may as well get more power out of it.

As for me, I was kind of bummed as I just read the A3000 manual right now and saw this:

I guess this answers my question of whether or not the pre-outs are also set for bi-amp (bass for front L/R and mid/high for SurrBack pre-outs). They are not, sadly. So for me this leaves the A units' SCENE functionality as the sole reason I'd want to upgrade. Unfortunately this makes the Integra DHC-80.2/Onkyo PRSC-5508 look a lot more attractive to me.

Guess I'll know for sure when the A3000s hit the B&Ms here in the bay area.

You can use a "Y" cable on your pre-amp outs . Then use two seperate interconnects to go to two channels of the amp
post #410 of 8862 Old 09-17-2010, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

The Onkyo PR-SC5508 is a Preamp/Proc, your comparing that to a Yamaha Receiver? There will be some differences.
Regarding bi-amping - simple enough to use an external active crossover such as Pyle and others. Or just do the Y connector (I did this before).

I'm ready to do my preorder for the Yamaha A3000 which is supposed to ship by end of Sept. I just sold my big Amp I had, a very nice amp. I had a Pre/Pro that I sold previously and have been using a cheaper Yamaha receiver for past year or two. One of the big reasons I'm going for the A3000 is the amp it has. Bi-amping from the Receiver isn't a bad thing to do, but sonically doesn't much imo and I've done it a few ways. Really to get the most benefit from bi-amping is to take out the crossovers in your speakers and use an active crossover. Something I don't care to do.

On Yamaha's upper end receivers from the RX-1000 series up they have always sounded the best of any receiver to me. The power specs on the new A3000 are even better than the Z7. I wanted to get a Z7 but had to many other things going on to come up with the $2k+. I will use it to drive all my speakers. I might add presence speakers in the future, but don't have much room for them in my setup right now. And I will also use for a Zone 2 on my deck. I lose rear back surrounds whenever I turn on Zone 2, but thats a non-issue. I considered finding a little ext amp, but don't really need it right now.

My recommendation - use the amp in the A2000 or A3000 for your mains unless you have some very power hungry speakers and have/can afford a big amp for them. If you want to have Zone and Presence speakers all running as well, then go with smaller 2 - 6 channel amps for that.
post #411 of 8862 Old 09-17-2010, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

oops, reposted
post #412 of 8862 Old 09-17-2010, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey9hound View Post

You can use a "Y" cable on your pre-amp outs . Then use two seperate interconnects to go to two channels of the amp

I already do that with my current HTR-5860 feeding two Adcom GFA-555IIs.

Lack of crosstalk is awesome, especially for video game music for localising the sound.

post #413 of 8862 Old 09-18-2010, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjinca View Post

Thanks!

cjinca - I don't think I can be anymore average as I'm a step or two above total apathy and a step or fifteen below a hardcore enthusiast.

These are my reasons for considering the rx-a series for networking:

I actually held off on buying one of last year's models on the cheap because some didn't have network capability and/or USB playback capability. Note: Passive HDMI switching (HDMI standby-through) was a bigger concern but the 800 has that as well.

Streaming music or plugging in a thumb drive filled with tunes is more appealing to me these days than swapping CD's. I have yet to get fully invested in the HTPC revolution and keep it pretty basic. But even then a lot of my music is bought from the Internet and why burn a CD if you can stream it? I would think networking on the receiver can keep folks from buying an intermediate streaming device provided they also didn't require a wireless connection (Note: I have a cabled XBOX and stream to it now).

I have to assume that updating the firmware would be easier with networking and/or a front panel USB port though I have no experience myself. I would think a new model of anything as complex as an AV receiver would eventually need updates to its firmware to fix minor bugs.

I think using a web browser to set the system up could also be a great benefit. Of course that depends on the implementation of the user interface and again I have no real experiences to draw on but rather hope. The OSD using the remote is probably equivalent but I could see a web browser offering significant advantages if done properly.

Anyway - I hope my thoughts have given you a few things to think about. Except for streaming/USB which is where everything is headed the rest is based on assumptions and you know what they say about assumptions..

Have a great day - VaPackerFan
post #414 of 8862 Old 09-18-2010, 04:18 AM

Guys! Check the newegg today if you wanna get a good deal.

I have just bought an RX-A2000 over there.
post #415 of 8862 Old 09-18-2010, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoB View Post

Guys! Check the newegg today if you wanna get a good deal.

I have just bought an RX-A2000 over there.

That's a great deal!
post #416 of 8862 Old 09-18-2010, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
what is great about that deal? 100 bucks off? Oh, I see a $400 gift card. I'd rather have cash back. Can the 400 bucks be used toward the receiver?
post #417 of 8862 Old 09-18-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley View Post

what is great about that deal? 100 bucks off? Oh, I see a $400 gift card. I'd rather have cash back. Can the 400 bucks be used toward the receiver?

I think it's $100 off the MSRP, which is basically the going street price (what everyone else is selling it for already). And the gift card can NOT be applied to the receiver (unless you want to buy another one later) - it will get mailed to you within 30 days. Good for a future purchase at Newegg or biz.newegg.com. I'm considering it since I have a bunch of stuff I want there -- but I just built a freakin' HTPC with parts from there -- why didn't this deal happen two weeks ago??!!??
post #418 of 8862 Old 09-18-2010, 08:28 PM
mka

$100 off MSRP is nothing compared to what I bought mine for. See my post above.

I just installed my A2000 today. It really ticks me off that Yamaha no longer includes a manual. They only give you a CD with a link to their website. Running back and forth between my computer and my TV room is a pain in the neck, so I had to print out quite a few of the 140+ pages. Unfortunately, a lot of companies do that these days to save a few bucks. I wish they would give you the option to buy a manual.
post #419 of 8862 Old 09-18-2010, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 99
You would THINK that a receiver for $1000+ could include a manual. Sheesh. Especially as the more expensive receivers are the receivers most in need OF a manual. The cheap ones are more straightforward.

Pretty soon they will sell organs with no manuals. Which will be REALLY hard to play (get it? manual? heh)

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #420 of 8862 Old 09-18-2010, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
mka,
I also bought stuff from them before and their pricing is very good. They are getting 3 more A2000 on Tuesday per manager.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page