Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 8882 Old 09-21-2010, 06:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyandbond View Post

I realized I could order an ethernet cable of sufficient length and just piggyback it with the regular cable line to the basement where the router and modem sit (thus, make my setup "wired" after all) - seems like it will be a lot less grief and cost than trying to get this sorted out wirelessly.

... but the RX-A1000 manual specifically says to use an STP cable.

You said a mouthful. I've always run cable thru my home. It's really not a big deal so long as you don't have to snake it through thousand of square feet and 4 levels. Wireless may be easier in most cases but it has its own problems, as you have discovered, not to mention bandwidth limits, interference, and God knows what those waves are doing to our brains....

Anyway, buildings are typically wired with unshielded cable from node to node, and then a short shielded length is run from the router/switch/wallplate to the device. What you've got will probably work fine. And the upshot is that once you've got that wire run, you can pop a switch in your TV cabinet for use with future internet-ready devices (game consoles, TV, automation, etc).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 8882 Old 09-21-2010, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I don't see any reason either to use STP cables. Usually only need to use if there is a lot of known interference.
As mentioned, you can setup a wireless access point, problem is with some routers is they can only be used as a pt-pt access point or a general access point.
Here's something that would work for you too, kind of similar -
http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0299850
post #453 of 8882 Old 09-21-2010, 06:34 AM

I too bought a 50ft cable to wire the receiver up temporarily (and then the 360). My other option i found was to buy a wireless bridge which would allow me to hookup the receiver and 360 at the same time, and the bluray when i get a replacement.

Another option i was told at best buy was a power line converter or controller then had 3 or 4 Ethernet inputs and plugs in to the wall outlet. The second piece then plugged into a wall outlet near my router and computer. Has anyone ever used these units before, i know they have been around for a good long time but never saw them in a store before.
post #454 of 8882 Old 09-21-2010, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 158
I'm still in between the 3000 and the Denon 4311. I'm a big zone 2 and 3 user though and also want 11.x.

That said, please tell me if any of the following is incorrect...for those who may have looked fairly deep into these sort of things, lol.

1. If you want an 11.X array AND zones 2 and 3, forget, it's impossible, as the rear pre-outs for Z3 AND rear presence are shared and it's impossible to internally amplify the rear presence channels.

2. Because the there's no "amp option" to internally amplify either/both the front and rear presence speakers, I'll be forced to internally amplify other channels like possibly the side and rear surrounds?

3. The only zone that can utilize a digital input is Zone 4 (how odd?), BUT "party mode" will allow me to turn out a digital (HDMI too?) source to (potentially) all 4 zones simultaneously.

I feel pretty confident in the above, if someone knows for certain otherwise please advise. I'm really interested in this unit, and I'm hoping that even if I "lose" zone 3 to my main 11.X array that I can substitute zones 4 for 3 and still be on par with the 3 zone Denon 4311.

thanks a load!

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #455 of 8882 Old 09-21-2010, 07:28 AM

Some have mentioned that the easiest way to play compressed/uncompressed music files is through the USB port with external hard drive or a flash drive. Is it possible to play 24/96 lossless files through USB? If yes, is it the same on aventage models and z series?
post #456 of 8882 Old 09-21-2010, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

I guess I simply do not understand Zone 4, or, maybe I do and I think it's asinine.

So, instead of my earlier thoughtthat it's the only zone that can receive and ouput digital inputs to an external amplifier via RCA's, it appears that it acutally outputs the AVR's inputs to another AVR/integrated amp digitally through an optical output. (?)

This of course would mean you'd need another external integrated amplifier or AVR for zone 4 to be useful.

For the life of me I cannot understand the usefulness of this...at least over that of having a zone 4 that could be output to a standard external amplifier and controlled throug the Yamaha "Zone 1" AVR or additional zone remote.

So now, I really only have ONE additonal zone if I want an 11.X array in the main living room, as I'm not going to throw another AVR into the mix.

Please tell me if I'm incorrect and any additional functionality I may be missing...the whole point of these internal zones (to me anyway) was to gain control of multiple zones with ONE AVR, not two.

James

post #457 of 8882 Old 09-21-2010, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Wait...more bad news. After staring at the rear panel of the 3000, there's something else I cannot seem to get around.

It appears that in additon to the rear presence and zone 3 sharing pre-outs that the FRONTS and FRONT presence channels do as well. This of course means that if you want a 9 or 11 channel array utilizing front presence speakers that you will HAVE to internally amplify you mains.

this is insane. Someone please tell me I'm wrong.

unreal. I cannot believe they cripple a flagship device like this. Simply providing (4) pre-outs for the presence channels would circumvent this entire mess. But the thing's loaded with S video and comoposite video-in's. Go figure.

James

post #458 of 8882 Old 09-21-2010, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

The digital zone out is just that, and since its not analog then you need something like a receiver to read the digital signal and output it again. If you have all your music sourced at one location then you can run a digital out to another room.

It doesn't look like you can run 11.2 with ext amp for front mains. I believe Yamaha thinks if someone is buying this receiver they want to use the main power on it. The good thing about it is you can get a cheaper low powered amp for presence speakers.
They made the Z11 that had all those but it didn't even need it.
But I agree they s/h added 1 more pair of pre outs and who the heck needs 4 component inputs!
post #459 of 8882 Old 09-21-2010, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakar80124 View Post

and who the heck needs 4 component inputs!

This guy!
...at least until I upgrade my display.
post #460 of 8882 Old 09-21-2010, 08:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

Wait...more bad news. After staring at the rear panel of the 3000, there's something else I cannot seem to get around.

It appears that in additon to the rear presence and zone 3 sharing pre-outs that the FRONTS and FRONT presence channels do as well. This of course means that if you want a 9 or 11 channel array utilizing front presence speakers that you will HAVE to internally amplify you mains.

this is insane. Someone please tell me I'm wrong.

unreal. I cannot believe they cripple a flagship device like this. Simply providing (4) pre-outs for the presence channels would circumvent this entire mess. But the thing's loaded with S video and comoposite video-in's. Go figure.

James

Looking at the same back panel photo, I interpret it to mean that if using presence speakers you could assign the internal amps to that and then must use the pre-outs for the mains. I suppose the manual might clear this up. My take is that you simply can't use pre-outs for all 11 channels, but you could assign the pre-outs to whichever use you want. Seems fairly flexible to me, and given it's a 7-ch amp I'm not sure there's another way to do it.
post #461 of 8882 Old 09-21-2010, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:

...It appears that in additon to the rear presence and zone 3 sharing pre-outs that the FRONTS and FRONT presence channels do as well. This of course means that if you want a 9 or 11 channel array utilizing front presence speakers that you will HAVE to internally amplify you mains.

I agree this issue is poorly documented and not as flexible as it could be, but the manual does show that you can have a 9.1 setup with an external amp for the mains (first speaker diagram on page 24, Power Amp Assign = 7 ch + FRONT).

The front presence speakers are always active, the fronts are powered by the external amp, and you can either have rear presence OR surround backs. So for 9.1 they seem to have it covered, but I don't see an 11.1 configuration that uses an external amp for the mains.
post #462 of 8882 Old 09-21-2010, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Looking at the same back panel photo, I interpret it to mean that if using presence speakers you could assign the internal amps to that and then must use the pre-outs for the mains. I suppose the manual might clear this up. My take is that you simply can't use pre-outs for all 11 channels, but you could assign the pre-outs to whichever use you want. Seems fairly flexible to me, and given it's a 7-ch amp I'm not sure there's another way to do it.

I wish you were correct my friend. But from what I gather from the needlessly obtuse manual, it's not that straightforward. Althought there are mulitple (10?) amp configurations that allow for flexibility, these specific implementations are rather strict.

Let me give you one of the examples.

There's an 11 channel config option that calls for the external amplification of the front and rear presence channels while internally amplifying the remaining 7.

Ok you say, no big deal, assuming all of the pre-outs are live (which we ARE assuming in this example) I'll just pre-out the presence channels and any others I wish to externally amplify.

Not so fast. Those pre-outs you're mandated to use per the config for the front presence channels also represent the main front channels, which now must obviously require internal amplification due to the lack of the ability to output them.

So, no ticki, no laundry!

Again, I'm hopin to be wrong here, but I have a knack for finding the holes in anything, unfotunately.

I'm left with nothing other than Yamaha simply did not anticipate this (admittedly complex/rare) application of the unit or knew combining the pre-outs would be a non-issue for the vast number of users and said "f' it". You pick.

Neither excites me a whole lot.

James

post #463 of 8882 Old 09-21-2010, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

I agree this issue is poorly documented and not as flexible as it could be, but the manual does show that you can have a 9.1 setup with an external amp for the mains (first speaker diagram on page 24, Power Amp Assign = 7 ch + FRONT).

The front presence speakers are always active, the fronts are powered by the external amp, and you can either have rear presence OR surround backs. So for 9.1 they seem to have it covered, but I don't see an 11.1 configuration that uses an external amp for the mains.

Spot on, good catch. I think I was too busy pouting about my 11 channel array to put the leg-work in for the 9.

I agree with you though that there does not appear to be such an option for 11, after throwing all of the possibilities through my brain.

James

post #464 of 8882 Old 09-21-2010, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The digital zone out is just that, and since its not analog then you need something like a receiver to read the digital signal and output it again. If you have all your music sourced at one location then you can run a digital out to another room.

It doesn't look like you can run 11.2 with ext amp for front mains. I believe Yamaha thinks if someone is buying this receiver they want to use the main power on it. The good thing about it is you can get a cheaper low powered amp for presence speakers.
They made the Z11 that had all those but it didn't even need it.
But I agree they s/h added 1 more pair of pre outs and who the heck needs 4 component inputs!

Exactly regarding zone 4. And I'm sorry, that's just f'n stupid. Don't suppose it ever occured to them why no other CEM does it this way?

James

post #465 of 8882 Old 09-21-2010, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by termite View Post
Picked up an A2000 on Thursday to say farewell to my beloved RX-V2095
which served me so well for 11 long years with zero issues supplying superb
sound. 11 years is bringing a lot of technical advancement in sound formats
and connectivity for sure but I'm hoping the A2000 can also match the 2095
amp to amp with clean raw power. I believe the 2095 is one of the finest
amps ever made by Yamaha.

Just couldn't resist to take some parting photos as the 2095 is getting
ready to be shipped to my Dad's.

RX-V2095 vs RX-A2000
44.2 lbs vs 37.2 lbs (yes I weighed them myself)
Japan made vs Malaysia made

Hope to complete the install and play with the A2k in the days to come.
You could always pop the top off take a picture of where they put their new audio grade fuse.

Sound-Vision Oct-10-Yam-Fuse-Ad.pdf 140.51171875k . file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sound-Vision Oct-10-Yam-Fuse-Ad.pdf (140.5 KB, 2 views)

An audiophile likes to talk about how much they spent and how good it sounds.

A DIY'er likes to talk about how little they spent and how good it sounds.

post #466 of 8882 Old 09-21-2010, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

^ LMFAO.

James

post #467 of 8882 Old 09-21-2010, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Exactly regarding zone 4. And I'm sorry, that's just f'n stupid. Don't suppose it ever occured to them why no other CEM does it this way?

James

I guess I'm not sure what you don't like about a digital output. I could think of several uses for such a thing such as streaming music to the basement or another room or connect to your PC. Maybe do an external DAC or something.
post #468 of 8882 Old 09-21-2010, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^ LMFAO.

James

I'm not saying anything one way or the other. I would have to have ears on their new product with the new and old style fuse.

post #469 of 8882 Old 09-22-2010, 12:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinjuku View Post

I'm not saying anything one way or the other. I would have to have ears on their new product with the new and old style fuse.

Unless there's some seriously funky shielding added to the fuse (yay?), it honestly shouldn't matter against another fuse of the exact same size and rating. Now, the resistance of a different conductive element I can see making a difference in signal path degeneration, but hearing an audible difference? I don't buy it.

When a Priest says they're going to Flash you, it isn't for healing.

post #470 of 8882 Old 09-22-2010, 05:40 AM

I'm leaning toward getting an RX-A2000 to replace my Harman Kardon AVR-745 which has been a pain in my a**. I have an entertainment center where I'd like the Yamaha to live, but I'm concerned about the size of the space where I'd like it to be. The space is enclosed on the sides, top and bottom (open in the front and back) and measures 24"W x 8"H x 20"D. According to the specifications on Yamaha's site, the A2000 is 17-1/8"W x 7-1/8"H x 16-7/8"D. Width and depth shouldn't be a problem here, but there would only be 7/8" clearance above the receiver.

What is the likelihood that I'd run into heat issues installing the A2000 in that space? And how might those heat issues manifest themselves? Normally I wouldn't bother asking and would not take a chance with this, but I spent far too much on this piece of furniture very recently and hope I don't have to scrap it so soon just to accommodate a new AVR.

Thanks!

-Mason
post #471 of 8882 Old 09-22-2010, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbrown View Post

I'm leaning toward getting an RX-A2000 to replace my Harman Kardon AVR-745 which has been a pain in my a**. I have an entertainment center where I'd like the Yamaha to live, but I'm concerned about the size of the space where I'd like it to be. The space is enclosed on the sides, top and bottom (open in the front and back) and measures 24"W x 8"H x 20"D. According to the specifications on Yamaha's site, the A2000 is 17-1/8"W x 7-1/8"H x 16-7/8"D. Width and depth shouldn't be a problem here, but there would only be 7/8" clearance above the receiver.

What is the likelihood that I'd run into heat issues installing the A2000 in that space? And how might those heat issues manifest themselves? Normally I wouldn't bother asking and would not take a chance with this, but I spent far too much on this piece of furniture very recently and hope I don't have to scrap it so soon just to accommodate a new AVR.

Thanks!

-Mason

I just got my 2K yesterday, and even though I was well aware of all the specs by then, I was surprised at how high it was, and how heavy! 42lbs or so.
Well, it's going to be a close call, but you gotta do what you gotta do. I would try rigging a small fan somehow so it directs the hot air off the top of the unit and out the back or something. In any case, you're probably looking at a shorter life span for this piece in that furniture.

I haven't got mine set up yet so I can't say just how much heat it produces.

** edit:
I realize this is not a very helpful answer, sorry.
Seems to me though, that you'd be pretty hard-pressed to find another AVR with similar features in a smaller package. It's worth noting that, from all I've read (and from personal experience), the Yamahas tend to run cooler and more efficiently than some others. (read: ONKYO)
post #472 of 8882 Old 09-22-2010, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

for receiver in enclosed rack - definitely get some type of fan to put on there in the back. You might try to find a quiet computer fan and try to run it off one of the 12v triggers. You may even need two in the back, one on each side.
post #473 of 8882 Old 09-22-2010, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy Tia View Post

Unless there's some seriously funky shielding added to the fuse (yay?), it honestly shouldn't matter against another fuse of the exact same size and rating. Now, the resistance of a different conductive element I can see making a difference in signal path degeneration, but hearing an audible difference? I don't buy it.

Apparently Yamaha engineering (or marketing?) feels differently about that.

post #474 of 8882 Old 09-22-2010, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I think it's fair to say the special fuse is probably about as useful as the 5th foot.
post #475 of 8882 Old 09-22-2010, 07:28 AM

Quote:

i think it's fair to say the special fuse is probably about as useful as the 5th foot.

rofl
post #476 of 8882 Old 09-22-2010, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess I'm not sure what you don't like about a digital output. I could think of several uses for such a thing such as streaming music to the basement or another room or connect to your PC. Maybe do an external DAC or something.

Because it requires another AVR or external pre/pro AND amp. Why couldn't you just do the same off an amp, that's been "inputted" by whatever you have selected to play back in zone 4?

For example: with my Denon, I simply choose an input for zone 3, it outputs via RCAs to an amp, which powers the speakers in another room.

No additonal AVR or device necessary.

I'm not proposing it's the end of the world, just a bit daft.

James

post #477 of 8882 Old 09-22-2010, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

I think it's just that they wanted to advertise four zones (which has to be better than three zones, right?), but there's a certain cost associated with adding another full-blown zone (which includes volume control, for example). The digital zone 4 costs less to implement, and it even sounds cool because it's digital. So marketing said "let there be a fourth zone, and make it digital".

It's depressing in high tech companies how little say the engineering dept. has in the definition of a product.
post #478 of 8882 Old 09-22-2010, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by squatchie44 View Post

I too bought a 50ft cable to wire the receiver up temporarily (and then the 360). My other option i found was to buy a wireless bridge which would allow me to hookup the receiver and 360 at the same time, and the bluray when i get a replacement.

Another option i was told at best buy was a power line converter or controller then had 3 or 4 Ethernet inputs and plugs in to the wall outlet. The second piece then plugged into a wall outlet near my router and computer. Has anyone ever used these units before, i know they have been around for a good long time but never saw them in a store before.

If you have already ran an ethernet cable and need to hook up other devices such as a 360 or PS3 to the internet, try one of these:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...05&cp_id=10521

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #479 of 8882 Old 09-22-2010, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

I think it's just that they wanted to advertise four zones (which has to be better than three zones, right?), but there's a certain cost associated with adding another full-blown zone (which includes volume control, for example). The digital zone 4 costs less to implement, and it even sounds cool because it's digital. So marketing said "let there be a fourth zone, and make it digital".

It's depressing in high tech companies how little say the engineering dept. has in the definition of a product.

It makes you wonder what the engineers REALLY think of the marketing dept, and how they promote their efforts.

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #480 of 8882 Old 09-22-2010, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

to me a zone with a digital output vs a analog output, is like comparing a preout to a speaker output. To use the preout you have to use an ext amp, to use the digital output you have to use another receiver, PC etc. to read the signal and output it to analog.
So I'm not sure why thats a bad thing? Hard to find any receiver that doesn't have some features you don't want, need or use.

Not having enough preouts is a whole different thing and I agree they should have 1 more set of preouts for fronts only. A lot of people like to use an ext amp for fronts and the receiver for everything else.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page