Forum Jump: 

post #511 of 8850 Old 09-24-2010, 06:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by spturtle View Post

What's wrong with it? Take a look at the screenshot of my app, would that be an improvement? Someone could adapt the app to work with RX-An00 receivers I guess.

Sorry, my post was hasty and a bit confusing upon re-read. I meant managing zones in general is a bit tricky, not specifically within the web app. The app is actually not bad, but it doesn't seem to let you change any system settings in there (DSP programs, pure direct, input rename, etc). You have to go elsewhere for these -- the only place I've found it so far, without reading the manual thoroughly, is in the On Screen button menu from the remote while in front of the unit/display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadnbrkn84 View Post

For Bustamelon,

You asked about remote codes, I had the same problem when I brought mine home. Mine replaced a RX-V2065 and having the harmony already programmed to that receiver it will control most of it. Everything for basic stuff. Also I noticed yesterday that there is now RX-A1000 codes available (which I haven't tried) but ou could give those a shot, if they don't work (which I can't imagine) then use the RX-V2065 until they become available.

Thanks, deadnbrkn. Will give that a try.

Another update:
Have set the unit to do some video processing and I really like the results. Nothing major -- I turned on noise reduction, big difference there (U-Verse w/ my TV = lots of noise in darker scenes), contrast enhancement: fixed the washout problem but good. Blacks seem blacker now and it does exactly what you'd expect it to. So far I'm pretty pleased. Also, leaving the decoder and dsp settings on AUTO for the most part, there is some kind of magic happening -- it seems to remember which TV channels had which settings. This is mighty impressive, although I expect what's actually happening is it's remembering not the channel but what type of source audio is being passed in, using the last setting I used for that type of source (stereo, 5.1, etc). This greatly increases the WAF.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 8850 Old 09-24-2010, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Hey thanks for the info on the remotes. I will be using that as my universal remote (hopefully). Now I just have to wait for the A3000 to ship!
In the meantime, I have a project to run some wires around the house including out to my deck. I just picked up a nice pair of outdoor Yamaha speakers for $100.
post #513 of 8850 Old 09-24-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadnbrkn84 View Post

For Bustamelon,

You asked about remote codes, I had the same problem when I brought mine home. Mine replaced a RX-V2065 and having the harmony already programmed to that receiver it will control most of it. Everything for basic stuff. Also I noticed yesterday that there is now RX-A1000 codes available (which I haven't tried) but ou could give those a shot, if they don't work (which I can't imagine) then use the RX-V2065 until they become available.

The codes for the Harmony One work fine to control my RX-A1000.

On a separate issue, i still don't know how to network the receiver and blu-ray player to my wireless router in another room.
post #514 of 8850 Old 09-24-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squatchie44 View Post

On a separate issue, i still don't know how to network the receiver and blu-ray player to my wireless router in another room.

On the networking issue, its hard to believe they haven't added WIFI to new equipment releases. I had a similar problem and solved it by using a Linksys PLK300 set up. This is a system that uses your home wiring to connect wired devices to your wireless router. It consist of two boxes, one with 4 ethernet connections and one with one connection..You connect the single connection box to you wireless router and put the second one at your equipment end. Both devices must be plugged into a wall outlet directly not to a surge protection device. I have mine set up with two 4 input boxes one at each equiment rack in different locations to connect wired ethernet devices like TVs, AVRs, XBox360 etc. Note you can use multilple 4 input boxes with only the single one input box at the router. I was a little pesimistic at first but they connected to the network automatically and seem to have plenty of bandwith.
post #515 of 8850 Old 09-24-2010, 10:32 AM
bwb

Quote:
Originally Posted by squatchie44 View Post

I use a wireless network bridge. It's basically a backward wireless router...it receives your network signal wirelessly from your main router and then allows you to connect your devices with an ethernet connection

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=663

bwb
post #516 of 8850 Old 09-24-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwb View Post

I use a wireless network bridge. It's basically a backward wireless router...it receives your network signal wirelessly from your main router and then allows you to connect your devices with an ethernet connection

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=663

bwb

i use two of those... working well...
post #517 of 8850 Old 09-24-2010, 11:20 AM

Here's a question that came up while reconnecting everything:

My subwoofer has a crossover control knob on it, and a switch that lets you either define the crossover frequency or "bypass". How do you guys deal with this? I set it to "bypass," assuming that YPAO would determine the best spot. And I am pleased with the result, but I am not as much of a nut about this stuff as others, and I rarely, if ever, use LFE sources at any kind of levels. Thoughts?
post #518 of 8850 Old 09-24-2010, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Anybody know anything about the six axis color control that Yamaha claims on the HQV chip? I played with the 2000 at my dealer yesterday and didn't see anything with that name. Sounds like it's a calibration adjustment for the color points for the display. This would be very nice feature if it is actually available. It may not be on the 2000 even though it's on the 2000 product page. I looked at the manual for the 3000 and see no mention of it either?
post #519 of 8850 Old 09-24-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigslue View Post

Anybody know anything about the six axis color control that Yamaha claims on the HQV chip? I played with the 2000 at my dealer yesterday and didn't see anything with that name. Sounds like it's a calibration adjustment for the color points for the display. This would be very nice feature if it is actually available. It may not be on the 2000 even though it's on the 2000 product page. I looked at the manual for the 3000 and see no mention of it either?

See pg. 118 in the 2000 manual. I guess "six-axis" is marketing-speak for 6 things you can adjust:

Also see my post above. I'm using Saturation, Contrast Enhancement and Noise reduction and they work very well for my setup.
post #520 of 8850 Old 09-24-2010, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustamelon View Post

My subwoofer has a crossover control knob on it, and a switch that lets you either define the crossover frequency or "bypass". How do you guys deal with this? I set it to "bypass," assuming that YPAO would determine the best spot. And I am pleased with the result, but I am not as much of a nut about this stuff as others, and I rarely, if ever, use LFE sources at any kind of levels. Thoughts?

Yes, you want to bypass the sub's own crossover and let the receiver manage that. When there is no "bypass" setting on a sub, just turn the crossover knob to the highest frequency.
post #521 of 8850 Old 09-24-2010, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Has anyone worked out any difference in 2000 vs 3000 video settings?

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #522 of 8850 Old 09-24-2010, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

I guess thats probably it! I always love the names they always give to features! They should probably name it something different, because it suggests what I was talking about! I do like the new receivers. The menu seemed pretty easy to figure out when I was playing with the 2000. Wish they wouldn't have limited the pre outs the way they did, I would be using as a prepro. I did see an issue when I turned on the video processing on ESPN at the top of the picture, but that could have been the cable box or TV issue?
post #523 of 8850 Old 09-24-2010, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

I'm surprised that Sony hasn't sued Yamaha over the six-axis naming, as I'm sure Sony still holds the rights to that trademark.

When a Priest says they're going to Flash you, it isn't for healing.

post #524 of 8850 Old 09-24-2010, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

I think the 2000 had video processing on or off and thats all I remember from playing with the 2000. I may have missed or forgotten something but thats what I remember.
post #525 of 8850 Old 09-24-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

Has anyone worked out any difference in 2000 vs 3000 video settings?

The A2000 settings are described in pg 118 of its manual.
The A3000 are on pg 122.

It looks like they both have the aforementioned "six-axis" stuff, with a little more flexibility in the A3000.

A2000:

A3000:
post #526 of 8850 Old 09-24-2010, 01:46 PM

I'm close to putting in my order for a Yamaha RX-A1000 or 2000 but there's one key thing that I need to check.

The Onkyo and Denon receivers I'm considering have Dolby Volume and Audyssey Dynamic EQ. I have young kids in the house and those features seem to fit my use perfectly.

Do the Yamaha receivers I'm considering have the same features under a different name? Please explain if there's advantages or disadvantages to either type.

Why Yamaha?: Hopeful that it will offer the best sound quality of the 3 brands. I actually only need it for the pre-amp section since I have active fronts. Not using any surrounds right now.

Thanks
post #527 of 8850 Old 09-24-2010, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks to Bustamelon for posting that. I think that could help some people make a decision between the 2000 and 3000.

Seems like Noise Reduction settings are the main difference. The 2000 has NR, but it's on or off. It's going to be hard to justify paying $100's, but block NR has some value. I tried it on my Z7, but it's like you need to use too much of it to reduce the annoyance of macro blocking, and then the image suffers in other ways. Maybe someone more patient than myself could get more use out of the settings - and maybe the HQV chip is better than the ABT chip.

post #528 of 8850 Old 09-24-2010, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LD500 View Post

I'm close to putting in my order for a Yamaha RX-A1000 or 2000 but there's one key thing that I need to check.

The Onkyo and Denon receivers I'm considering have Dolby Volume and Audyssey Dynamic EQ. I have young kids in the house and those features seem to fit my use perfectly.

Do the Yamaha receivers I'm considering have the same features under a different name? Please explain if there's advantages or disadvantages to either type.

Why Yamaha?: Hopeful that it will offer the best sound quality of the 3 brands. I actually only need it for the pre-amp section since I have active fronts. Not using any surrounds right now.

Thanks

Yamaha has adaptive DRC which is not really the same thing, IMO. It's good for lower volume listening. But at louder volumes, it's not going to do much for loud commercials.

For movies, you can probably reduce dynamic range using the dynamic range setting. This probably works for all bitstream DD and DTS flavors.

post #529 of 8850 Old 09-24-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LD500 View Post

Thanks

The closest thing is "volume trim":
"Reduces any change in volume when switching between input sources by correcting volume differences in each input source. You can adjust this parameter for each input source."

I don't know if this *only* works when swithcing inputs, or if it's active within one input.

There is also a min and max volume setting, which presumably lets you set a specified volume range, so that it's never too loud or too soft.

And finally, we have "adaptive drc", where the LFE and surround effects change in volume inversely relative to the center/dialog channel -- the result being that when you're watching an action-packed movie late at night with the volume down low, you'll get a slight boost in the rumble of explosions to compensate for the low volume.

Why Yamaha?
Personally, two reasons:
1) very happy with previous Yamaha products
2) listening to different makes in the showroom, I preferred the sound of Yamaha, all else being equal. I thought the Denons I heard had a flat, lifeless quality; the Onkyos to my ear sounded just plain bad -- the bass was being artificially pushed and there was almost no high end; Pioneers sounded good but I didn't like the plastic-y look of them.
post #530 of 8850 Old 09-24-2010, 02:25 PM

Does anyone know if the Adaptive DRC will work when only two front speakers are used? No surrounds or subwoofer?

Quote:

"Reduces any change in volume when switching between input sources by correcting volume differences in each input source. You can adjust this parameter for each input source."

I don't know if this *only* works when swithcing inputs, or if it's active within one input.

There is also a min and max volume setting, which presumably lets you set a specified volume range, so that it's never too loud or too soft.

And finally, we have "adaptive drc", where the LFE and surround effects change in volume inversely relative to the center/dialog channel -- the result being that when you're watching an action-packed movie late at night with the volume down low, you'll get a slight boost in the rumble of explosions to compensate for the low volume.

Why Yamaha?
Personally, two reasons:
1) very happy with previous Yamaha products
2) listening to different makes in the showroom, I preferred the sound of Yamaha, all else being equal. I thought the Denons I heard had a flat, lifeless quality; the Onkyos to my ear sounded just plain bad -- the bass was being artificially pushed and there was almost no high end; Pioneers sounded good but I didn't like the plastic-y look of them.

post #531 of 8850 Old 09-24-2010, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:

Volume Trim is just a fixed difference in volume you can set if you know, for example, that your TV box always sounds louder than your Blu-ray player. So it's not going to do anything if a commercial is louder than the program you were watching, but then again who doesn't fast forward through commercials these days? Personally I would have no use for dynamic volume.

Quote:

I don't think it really boosts the surrounds or bass like Audyssey Dynamic EQ, but it certainly is useful for listening at night when the kids are asleep.
post #532 of 8850 Old 09-24-2010, 04:08 PM

looking again at the manual, youre right. my bad. not sure where i got that from.
post #533 of 8850 Old 09-24-2010, 06:52 PM

Thanks for both suggestions Cleverland and bwb, seems like around $100 either way so just need to decide which would be better/easier.
post #534 of 8850 Old 09-25-2010, 05:09 AM

I just got an e-mail from ABT that they have the 3000 in stock. Interestingly enough the Yamaha site still says it is pre-order
post #535 of 8850 Old 09-25-2010, 10:45 AM

I'm thinking about replacing my older Yamaha receiver (no HDMI) with the A2000.

Does the HDMI out allow 2 simultaneous outputs (splitting) or just one at a time (switching)?

Sorry for the noob question, but this would be my first HDMI receiver.

Also, I saw a while back that someone posted a link to the pdf manual that no longer works. Does anyone have a good link?

Thanks in advance!

Vince
post #536 of 8850 Old 09-25-2010, 11:29 AM
sa

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincei View Post

Does the HDMI out allow 2 simultaneous outputs (splitting) or just one at a time (switching)?

Yes, you can output signal on both HDMI's simultaneously. You can set it up to use HDMI 1 or HDMI 2 or both.
post #537 of 8850 Old 09-25-2010, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa View Post

Yes, you can output signal on both HDMI's simultaneously. You can set it up to use HDMI 1 or HDMI 2 or both.

sa,

Would you not be outputting the same source? I'm not sure if his question was asking can you output two different sources simultaneously.

Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #538 of 8850 Old 09-25-2010, 01:32 PM

Actually, I just wanted to confirm single source splitting, so i think we're good.

Anyone have a link to the pdf manual?
post #539 of 8850 Old 09-25-2010, 02:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincei View Post

Actually, I just wanted to confirm single source splitting, so i think we're good.

Anyone have a link to the pdf manual?

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/p...DETYP=RELATION
post #540 of 8850 Old 09-25-2010, 03:32 PM

Observation: the A3000 support Sirius tuners but not XM, unlike predecessor models.

Snark: maybe because Yamaha could never figure out how to make the XM stuff work after the 1.4 firmware for the 3900 broke it?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page