"Official" Yamaha RX-A1000/RX-A2000/RX-A3000 thread - Page 213 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #6361 of 8843 Old 11-17-2011, 06:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Sweetmeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by batt50 View Post


I use a 5 channel amp with my a3000. Another 2 channel amp just arrived to add to the a3000. I think 9 channels is the max you can run with external amps. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

What amp do you use? Does it provide the advertised wattage to your speakers? Before I bought the A3000 I was under the impression I would get 140/channel using 7 channels, but I don't think that's true.

My CM9's seem to be really power hungry (not sure of the correct technical term), so I want to give it more power. They're rated I think up to 200/channel so that's really what I'd like to give it. Are speakers not really capable of what they're advertised just like AVRs don't produce what they're advertised?

Family Room
Samsung TV - PN59D8000 - wall mounted
HW50ES projector w/electric Elite 120" ceiling mounted screen (drops in front of plasma)
Receiver - Yamaha RX-A3000
Amp (getting ready to buy amp - probably Emotiva XPR-5)
Front Speakers - B&W CM9
Center - B&W CMC2
Surrounds - B&W CM5
Rear...
Sweetmeat is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6362 of 8843 Old 11-17-2011, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
turbobuick86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Whittier, Ca. USA
Posts: 766
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackOften View Post

Most of this is wrong. Why should he move his sub to deal with an "Out-Of-Phase" error? It may be out of phase, but there's no reason it couldn't be put "in-phase" in it's current location.

My understanding(old school) is there isn't a "correct" phase on a subwoofer. It's whatever phase sounds best and has the least cancellation when working with other speakers and/or another subwoofer. All things being equal, 0 phase is best choice.
turbobuick86 is offline  
post #6363 of 8843 Old 11-17-2011, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
batt50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: nyc
Posts: 571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetmeat View Post

What amp do you use? Does it provide the advertised wattage to your speakers? Before I bought the A3000 I was under the impression I would get 140/channel using 7 channels, but I don't think that's true.

My CM9's seem to be really power hungry (not sure of the correct technical term), so I want to give it more power. They're rated I think up to 200/channel so that's really what I'd like to give it. Are speakers not really capable of what they're advertised just like AVRs don't produce what they're advertised?

i use a emotiva upa-5. it has performed flawlessly. it's rated 125wpc x 5.
one of the members here said the A3000 was rated at 66wpc with 7 channels driven. i believe i saw something similar in one of the ht magazines.
as far as speakers, mine are 8 ohm and rated 250w, but they don't need that power all the time if ever. check the sensitivity for your speakers. the higher the number, the less watts you need to drive them. i had the upa-5 before i got my a3000 and a2000. i actually bought it for a rxv765 that would clip too often to my liking. i use it now just to put less stress on the A3000.

batt50 is offline  
post #6364 of 8843 Old 11-17-2011, 07:23 PM
Senior Member
 
JackOften's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MendoPaul View Post

Hi,

I've just finished YPAO in my R2000 and it all came out A-OK except it reported that the sub-woofer is "out of phase". So I switched the leads on the output of the sub amp and it still reported "out of phase". The sub is an NHT driven by an amp, all of which is probably 15 years old. Does anybody know what I should or can do now to correct this? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

The AVR is not checking for electrical phasing, this is acoustic phasing. You can switch the phase of the sub in the AVR setup, but only do it if you like the sound of it better. You probably should also consider adjusting placement of the sub. Do the sub crawl. There's no right or wrong with sub phasing, it's whatever sounds best to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackOften View Post

Most of this is wrong. Why should he move his sub to deal with an "Out-Of-Phase" error? It may be out of phase, but there's no reason it couldn't be put "in-phase" in it's current location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobuick86 View Post

My understanding(old school) is there isn't a "correct" phase on a subwoofer. It's whatever phase sounds best and has the least cancellation when working with other speakers and/or another subwoofer. All things being equal, 0 phase is best choice.

Agreed turbobuick86... if the question was how to setup phase on a subwoofer.

The problem is rdgrimes didn't address the problem of "how do i get rid of the out-of-phase error". rdgrimes just spouted off some subwoofer setup 101 including a sub crawl... none of which really addresses the error message. That's one way to get to 12,000 posts. Post an answer that doesn't answer the question.
JackOften is offline  
post #6365 of 8843 Old 11-17-2011, 07:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Sweetmeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by batt50 View Post


i use a emotiva upa-5. it has performed flawlessly. it's rated 125wpc x 5.
one of the members here said the A3000 was rated at 66wpc with 7 channels driven. i believe i saw something similar in one of the ht magazines.
as far as speakers, mine are 8 ohm and rated 250w, but they don't need that power all the time if ever. check the sensitivity for your speakers. the higher the number, the less watts you need to drive them. i had the upa-5 before i got my a3000 and a2000. i actually bought it for a rxv765 that would clip too often to my liking. i use it now just to put less stress on the A3000.

I knew the sensitivity of my speakers were lower than others (they're 89 db's) I looked at, but didn't know how much of an impact 1-2 db's would be. (they're 89 db's). I just took the chance on them because I really liked the way they sounded.

So your amp is rated at 125x5 but do they actually perform at that level? I'm tired of buying stuff that doesn't perform to the advertised specs! With all of the equipment that I've bought, it seems as though I'm searching for something I'll never find!

There's still an outstanding question about if speakers can really handle their advertised ratings. I don't want to buy a TRUE 200 watt/channel amplifier if my speakers rated at 200 watt/channel couldn't handle it.

Family Room
Samsung TV - PN59D8000 - wall mounted
HW50ES projector w/electric Elite 120" ceiling mounted screen (drops in front of plasma)
Receiver - Yamaha RX-A3000
Amp (getting ready to buy amp - probably Emotiva XPR-5)
Front Speakers - B&W CM9
Center - B&W CMC2
Surrounds - B&W CM5
Rear...
Sweetmeat is offline  
post #6366 of 8843 Old 11-17-2011, 07:48 PM
Senior Member
 
JackOften's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetmeat View Post

What amp do you use? Does it provide the advertised wattage to your speakers? Before I bought the A3000 I was under the impression I would get 140/channel using 7 channels, but I don't think that's true.

My CM9's seem to be really power hungry (not sure of the correct technical term), so I want to give it more power. They're rated I think up to 200/channel so that's really what I'd like to give it. Are speakers not really capable of what they're advertised just like AVRs don't produce what they're advertised?

Quote:
Originally Posted by batt50 View Post

i use a emotiva upa-5. it has performed flawlessly. it's rated 125wpc x 5.
one of the members here said the A3000 was rated at 66wpc with 7 channels driven. i believe i saw something similar in one of the ht magazines.
as far as speakers, mine are 8 ohm and rated 250w, but they don't need that power all the time if ever. check the sensitivity for your speakers. the higher the number, the less watts you need to drive them. i had the upa-5 before i got my a3000 and a2000. i actually bought it for a rxv765 that would clip too often to my liking. i use it now just to put less stress on the A3000.

The sensitivity on his speakers is 89db's, which is pretty efficient. Sweatmeat, unless you have a 6000 cu. ft room I wouldn't normally consider an external amplifier. Sure the RX-A3000 can only output 67w per channel all channels driven but that's a rarity in real use. How often are all channels firing with all they got at one time during a movie? Two channels driven the 3000 can hit 160+ watts. BUT...

...you clearly are putting a lot of money into your system, and you may not be satisfied until you have 'everything' a moderate-to-high end home theater has. All the pre-out's on the RX-A3000 are hot, meaning you can hook up an external amplifier for any channel. This still allows you to use the reciever to run speakers not run by external amplifiers however, so it's not all-or-nothing. If you're going to get an amplifier make sure you get more power than you have, or else you may not be satisfied with the difference between the receiver amp and the external amp. You also get cleaner sound from an external amplifier normally... but you may be hard pressed to actually hear it. I'd look at 200w a channel external amplification for your setup. Emotiva (as suggested by batt50), Outlaw, Rotel and dozens of other amplifiers venders are out there. I personally use three Outlaw Audio 2200's (1 channel amplifiers) at 250 watts per channel at 6 ohms to run my L/C/R channels while my speaker''s RMS is only 125 watts.

EDIT to answer your last question: Emotiva, Outlaw, and other external amps hit the watts per channel with all channels driven unless otherwise stated (unlike AVR's).
JackOften is offline  
post #6367 of 8843 Old 11-17-2011, 08:10 PM
Member
 
burts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If running 5.1 plus presence speakers what power amp assign do i put it on? Im running preouts for everything but my presence.
burts is offline  
post #6368 of 8843 Old 11-17-2011, 08:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Sweetmeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackOften View Post


The sensitivity on his speakers is 89db's, which is pretty efficient. Sweatmeat, unless you have a 6000 cu. ft room I wouldn't normally consider an external amplifier. Sure the RX-A3000 can only output 67w per channel all channels driven but that's a rarity in real use. How often are all channels firing with all they got at one time during a movie? Two channels driven the 3000 can hit 160+ watts. BUT...

...you clearly are putting a lot of money into your system, and you may not be satisfied until you have 'everything' a moderate-to-high end home theater has. All the pre-out's on the RX-A3000 are hot, meaning you can hook up an external amplifier for any channel. This still allows you to use the reciever to run speakers not run by external amplifiers however, so it's not all-or-nothing. If you're going to get an amplifier make sure you get more power than you have, or else you may not be satisfied with the difference between the receiver amp and the external amp. You also get cleaner sound from an external amplifier normally... but you may be hard pressed to actually hear it. I'd look at 200w a channel external amplification for your setup. Emotiva (as suggested by batt50), Outlaw, Rotel and dozens of other amplifiers venders are out there. I personally use three Outlaw Audio 2200's (1 channel amplifiers) at 250 watts per channel at 6 ohms to run my L/C/R channels while my speaker''s RMS is only 125 watts.

EDIT to answer your last question: Emotiva, Outlaw, and other external amps hit the watts per channel with all channels driven unless otherwise stated (unlike AVR's).

Jack -

I'm curious to know how a system would respond using amps that provide different watts. Would the speakers amp'd externally have higher potential volume while the speakers amp'd to the A3000 have a lower potential volume, and therefore be "corrected" with YPAO's level setting and therefore eliminating the effectiveness of the external amp? This is why I thought I would need all speakers driven by amp(s) that have the same wattage.

Family Room
Samsung TV - PN59D8000 - wall mounted
HW50ES projector w/electric Elite 120" ceiling mounted screen (drops in front of plasma)
Receiver - Yamaha RX-A3000
Amp (getting ready to buy amp - probably Emotiva XPR-5)
Front Speakers - B&W CM9
Center - B&W CMC2
Surrounds - B&W CM5
Rear...
Sweetmeat is offline  
post #6369 of 8843 Old 11-17-2011, 08:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Sweetmeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ok, I found the amp I'm gonna buy.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.p...ran&1325615430

Family Room
Samsung TV - PN59D8000 - wall mounted
HW50ES projector w/electric Elite 120" ceiling mounted screen (drops in front of plasma)
Receiver - Yamaha RX-A3000
Amp (getting ready to buy amp - probably Emotiva XPR-5)
Front Speakers - B&W CM9
Center - B&W CMC2
Surrounds - B&W CM5
Rear...
Sweetmeat is offline  
post #6370 of 8843 Old 11-18-2011, 12:08 AM
Member
 
burts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetmeat View Post

Ok, I found the amp I'm gonna buy.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.p...ran&1325615430

Dont forget to add 3%
burts is offline  
post #6371 of 8843 Old 11-18-2011, 03:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
batt50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: nyc
Posts: 571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetmeat View Post

Ok, I found the amp I'm gonna buy.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.p...ran&1325615430


please tell me you're joking. that link shows a $30,000 pair of monoblocks. you don't need to spend anywhere near that type of money. i don't know exactly how many channels you're running. i am running 11 channels and 2 subs and as soon as i get my stf-3 fixed it will be back to 3 subs. just to run the extra channels i needed 4 channels amped. hence the other reason i use the upa-5. if you really feel you need or just want to run amps start doing your homework here :http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/index.html
then register with them. i already got an email from them saying they will have a black friday sale. i'm guessing some of the amps will be on sale. also i'm not trying to steer you to outlaw. just want you to see different prices before you make the jump.

batt50 is offline  
post #6372 of 8843 Old 11-18-2011, 03:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
phantom52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: TX
Posts: 7,051
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetmeat View Post

Ok, I found the amp I'm gonna buy.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.p...ran&1325615430

Before you do anything else give the attached thread a good going over. Lots of info there to help you get going good. Read it, follow the advice, and try some of things in there. Good luck, and good reading.


http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=824554
phantom52 is offline  
post #6373 of 8843 Old 11-18-2011, 04:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
TKO1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Canada's capital city.
Posts: 554
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Hi everyone,

have tried to search through the thread to understand what, if any, differences exist between the A1000, A2000 and A3000 (and new models) with respect to their handling of a straight DSD signal from an SACD via HDMI.

A) the Oppo's output multi-channel PCM from their DSD conversion at 88.2kHz; the Yamaha Aventage BD-A1000 and BD-A1010 can output raw DSD at 2.8MHZ or multi-channel PCM at 176.4kHz - can all three models handle the Aventage DSD stream in its native DSD format at 2.8MHz

B) Do they have different DACs?

C) can the raw DSD stream be handled via Pure Direct mode to eliminate any processing?

Any information greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. Cheers.

Tony
TKO1 is offline  
post #6374 of 8843 Old 11-18-2011, 04:48 AM
Senior Member
 
AC2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 340
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Ridge View Post

Mainly a fair number of inputs, 2 more HDMI, 2 more optical, 1 more coaxial, 5 more analogue audio, 2 more component, S-Video, Phono, and USB. There's also a optical output. The RX-A1000 has a bit more powerful amps and you can assign the analogue video outputs to zone 2.

Note that the networking capability gives you a fair amount of stuff on its own. Internet radio, DLNA, and the ability to control the receiver through a browser running on your PC, or special apps available for the iPhone and Andriod devices.

One thing though, a Canadian version of the RX-A1000 will be missing things that the American version of the RX-A1000 (and your RX-A800) have. No HD Radio, no Sirius satellite port, and no support for Internet music services like Pandora (which will probably block your Canadian IP address anyways.)

It's a pretty big jump in features from the RX-A800 and RX-A1000, but for most people not a lot of those features are going to be useful. I think network control would be the most popular. You might also want to check out the RX-V867 or its successor the RX-V871. The RX-V867 fit in between the two receivers feature-wise and was usually cheaper than the RX-A800.

I wouldn't hold out on great Boxing Day sales on these Yamaha receivers or comparable models by other manufactures. The best prices you see on receivers come after their replacements ship, and Christmas falls right in the middle of most manufactures release cycles. (Also watch out Future Shop and/or Best Buy introducing exclusive high-end receiver models a few weeks before Christmas at insanely high prices, and then "massively" discounting them on Boxing Day to something that's merely overpriced.)



Thanks. My RX-A800 is actually the US model, as I got it from a US seller.

I looked closely at the V867 and the A1000 at the time, but I just couldn't pass up the deal on the A800. I determined that I likely didn't need networking as both my Samsung TV and Bluray are network capable (for internet stuff) and I don't have a cache of music stored on a computer that I would need/want to share.

Although I love to buy new shiny toys, I actually think the A800 will suit me fairly well for now - just love that price on the 1000, even though it is "recertified".

My likely next step up would be to something that has 9.2 capability so that I can use both rears and front height/presence. Or even something to allow me to use wides, which I have pre-wired my room for, for future use. Then I can move the A800 to my secondary system.

I love it when a [HT] plan comes together!
AC2011 is offline  
post #6375 of 8843 Old 11-18-2011, 04:51 AM
Senior Member
 
AC2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 340
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The manual for my RX-A800 shows a picture of a system with "traditional" 7.1, PLUS the front presence speakers - what's up with that?

Can you have all nine speakers connected at once? Would the system cycle the sound to the front presence or the rear surrounds as the source material dictates? Or would you need to manually change?

I love it when a [HT] plan comes together!
AC2011 is offline  
post #6376 of 8843 Old 11-18-2011, 05:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 15,998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO1 View Post

Hi everyone,

have tried to search through the thread to understand what, if any, differences exist between the A1000, A2000 and A3000 (and new models) with respect to their handling of a straight DSD signal from an SACD via HDMI.

A) the Oppo's output multi-channel PCM from their DSD conversion at 88.2kHz; the Yamaha Aventage BD-A1000 and BD-A1010 can output raw DSD at 2.8MHZ or multi-channel PCM at 176.4kHz - can all three models handle the Aventage DSD stream in its native DSD format at 2.8MHz

B) Do they have different DACs?

C) can the raw DSD stream be handled via Pure Direct mode to eliminate any processing?

Any information greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. Cheers.

Tony

The Oppos can output either PCM or DSD via HDMI.

AFAIK, all Yamaha AVRs will convert DSD to PCM for processing, and use of the "direct" mode does not change that.
rdgrimes is offline  
post #6377 of 8843 Old 11-18-2011, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ovation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: St. Hubert, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 3,257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackOften View Post

There's nothing in the manual that states that the sub is properly EQ'd by YPAO under 40hz. Zippo. I would love to be proven wrong but finding official documentation on any kind of YPAO subwoofer calibrating was like trying to find Bin Ladin.

I merely said that it is true there is a manual EQ option in the receiver, as per the manual. I made no reference to its quality, nor to the general competence of YPAO. You are of the opinion that YPAO is not especially great at its job with respect to subwoofers. Others have a different opinion.

Quote:


All of my findings are based on empirical evidence. Empirical evidence is based on observation and experience. I also have tools such as REW to help gather data for my findings, not just one sentence answers like rdgrimes. You are working off of... what was it again? I didn't set out to be rude, but the one sentence dismissals simply don't fly.

Empirical evidence is something that can be presented for all to see/hear. The manual is empirical evidence of my statement--that there is a manual EQ setting in the receiver.

Your original statement offered a number of claims and one fact (the fact that one can use the EQ for manual settings). Someone else disputed your statement by saying "almost all of [your statement] is wrong". A third person asked "which part is correct". I answered "the part about the manual EQ functions"--which, in the exchange between you and the other poster, remains the only indisputable fact. That was my only goal in posting. It was not to "take sides". I have no "side" to take as I do not have a receiver with any flavour of autoEQ. I bought an outboard one just for my sub (and I happen to think it works quite well, though I readily admit there are more powerful and sophisticated solutions available--just not in the price range I was willing to spend at the time).

Quote:


My emperical evidence has the subs being set entirely too low. This is after gain matching my subs at roughly 11 o'clock which matches the manual subwoofer example. The jimmy-fix of raising the subwoofer gain is no different than boosting the gain in the receiver from -9 to 0. Why would YPAO set a subwoofer that's too low on the subwoofer's gain knob lower? Makes 0 sense. It should try to compensate by moving the gain UP in the receiver. MultEQ XT wouldn't do this - it would attempt to raise the gain until it ran out of channel gain room.

The statements to which I was responding did not include any of this information. I don't disbelieve your statements here (I have no reason to think you are lying) but, again, based on the original posts, this information is not readily available for all to verify--unlike the owner's manual.

Quote:


I like the RX-A3000. No receiver is perfect... I really like what YPAO did with the regular speakers, not reducing the high range like MultEQ XT does when using the flat setting. I'm just pointing out its deficencies. I think that's ok.

It is perfectly fine to point out its lack of perfection. I had no intention of saying otherwise.

In the end, as I look back at the original posts, I think I should simply have stayed out of the whole thing or, at least I could have been more detailed in my response to avoid the appearance of "taking sides". All I wanted to do is identify the one element in the exchange that is indisputably true--the bit about the manual EQ function.
Ovation is offline  
post #6378 of 8843 Old 11-18-2011, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
kriktsemaj99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 5,882
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

AFAIK, all Yamaha AVRs will convert DSD to PCM for processing, and use of the "direct" mode does not change that.

For processing thay have to convert, but "Pure Direct" mode will send DSD straight to the DACs on some models. In the A series, only the 3000 (and presumably the 3010 but I'm not certain) has DACs that accept DSD.
kriktsemaj99 is offline  
post #6379 of 8843 Old 11-18-2011, 08:18 AM
Senior Member
 
Sweetmeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by batt50 View Post

please tell me you're joking. that link shows a $30,000 pair of monoblocks. you don't need to spend anywhere near that type of money. i don't know exactly how many channels you're running. i am running 11 channels and 2 subs and as soon as i get my stf-3 fixed it will be back to 3 subs. just to run the extra channels i needed 4 channels amped. hence the other reason i use the upa-5. if you really feel you need or just want to run amps start doing your homework here :http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/index.html
then register with them. i already got an email from them saying they will have a black friday sale. i'm guessing some of the amps will be on sale. also i'm not trying to steer you to outlaw. just want you to see different prices before you make the jump.

Yeah, I was totally joking. I can't even believe that there's equipment out there that costs that much! I have no idea what monoblocks are or why they'd be better or more expensive than just a regular amp. You have any idea?

Family Room
Samsung TV - PN59D8000 - wall mounted
HW50ES projector w/electric Elite 120" ceiling mounted screen (drops in front of plasma)
Receiver - Yamaha RX-A3000
Amp (getting ready to buy amp - probably Emotiva XPR-5)
Front Speakers - B&W CM9
Center - B&W CMC2
Surrounds - B&W CM5
Rear...
Sweetmeat is offline  
post #6380 of 8843 Old 11-18-2011, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mickey79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 1,098
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quick question guys ... is the Polk RTi12 & CSi5 a good pairing for the RX-A2000 for fronts & center? Will these speakers work with the reciever as is (I mean connect to the speaker and all?).

I'm planning on going through the Polk Direct eBay store and they have good deals on them.

Thanks!!

7.1: Polk RTi12 Fronts, RTi8 Surrounds, Monitor70 Surround Backs, CSi A6 Center + Outlaw LFM-1 EX Subwoofer.
Yamaha RX-A2000 AVR
Epson 5010 3D Projector
Intel Sandy Bridge 3D HTPC / Blu-ray Player
mickey79 is offline  
post #6381 of 8843 Old 11-18-2011, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
phantom52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: TX
Posts: 7,051
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetmeat View Post

Yeah, I was totally joking. I can't even believe that there's equipment out there that costs that much! I have no idea what monoblocks are or why they'd be better or more expensive than just a regular amp. You have any idea?

Go to Emotiva.com and get yourself either a XPA3 or 5. They are both on sale right now for excellent prices. While your there order 2 of those Ultra 12 subwoofers which are on closeout, also unbelievable price for a sub that got excellent review from Audioholics. Read that review and you will order them. 2 for what 1 would have cost not very long ago. Free shipping on all of it also at this time.
phantom52 is offline  
post #6382 of 8843 Old 11-18-2011, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
phantom52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: TX
Posts: 7,051
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey79 View Post

Quick question guys ... is the Polk RTi12 & CSi5 a good pairing for the RX-A2000 for fronts & center? Will these speakers work with the reciever as is (I mean connect to the speaker and all?).

I'm planning on going through the Polk Direct eBay store and they have good deals on them.

Thanks!!

Yes, the 2000 should have no problem with those speakers.
phantom52 is offline  
post #6383 of 8843 Old 11-18-2011, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mickey79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 1,098
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

Yes, the 2000 should have no problem with those speakers.

Excellent!! I'm thinking about RTi12 for the Front Left & Right; CSi5 for the Center. I'll take a look later for Surrounds ... maybe Monitor 40's or 50's.

For the Sub ... I would really love to get the HSU VTF-2 MK-4 ... but after shipping & all, It's about $639 ... that is WAY over budget. I really wanted to spend $500 or under. Is there anything else I can consider that will meet my budget??

7.1: Polk RTi12 Fronts, RTi8 Surrounds, Monitor70 Surround Backs, CSi A6 Center + Outlaw LFM-1 EX Subwoofer.
Yamaha RX-A2000 AVR
Epson 5010 3D Projector
Intel Sandy Bridge 3D HTPC / Blu-ray Player
mickey79 is offline  
post #6384 of 8843 Old 11-18-2011, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
turbobuick86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Whittier, Ca. USA
Posts: 766
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetmeat View Post

I think I'll just have to hire someone because I don't want to waste the rest of my life trying to figure it out. :-))

This is an excellent idea based on most of your posts/questions. You have the funds and the ear for good music, but I guessing you really won't be happy until a professional pronounces your system "totally awesome".
turbobuick86 is offline  
post #6385 of 8843 Old 11-18-2011, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
phantom52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: TX
Posts: 7,051
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey79 View Post

Excellent!! I'm thinking about RTi12 for the Front Left & Right; CSi5 for the Center. I'll take a look later for Surrounds ... maybe Monitor 40's or 50's.

For the Sub ... I would really love to get the HSU VTF-2 MK-4 ... but after shipping & all, It's about $639 ... that is WAY over budget. I really wanted to spend $500 or under. Is there anything else I can consider that will meet my budget??

Yes there is the one below that got an excellent review. Review and test report link below. Also where to buy. Good luck and enjoy and hope this helps. Free shipping right now and I wouldn't wait too long.


http://emotiva.com/ultra_sub12.shtm


Test report and review:


http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...ofers/ultra-12
phantom52 is offline  
post #6386 of 8843 Old 11-18-2011, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mickey79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 1,098
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

Yes there is the one below that got an excellent review. Review and test report link below. Also where to buy. Good luck and enjoy and hope this helps. Free shipping right now and I wouldn't wait too long.


http://emotiva.com/ultra_sub12.shtm


Test report and review:


http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...ofers/ultra-12

WOW!!! This is looking VERY, VERY promising!!! Thank you very much - I'm taking a much closer look at this. This would fit my pocket really well.

7.1: Polk RTi12 Fronts, RTi8 Surrounds, Monitor70 Surround Backs, CSi A6 Center + Outlaw LFM-1 EX Subwoofer.
Yamaha RX-A2000 AVR
Epson 5010 3D Projector
Intel Sandy Bridge 3D HTPC / Blu-ray Player
mickey79 is offline  
post #6387 of 8843 Old 11-18-2011, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
phantom52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: TX
Posts: 7,051
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey79 View Post

WOW!!! This is looking VERY, VERY promising!!! Thank you very much - I'm taking a much closer look at this. This would fit my pocket really well.

You are very welcome. There is a thread in the subwoofer forum about this very sub. Member KidHorn just put 2 of these into service. PM him and ask him what he thinks and get a good first hand impression.


http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1372910
phantom52 is offline  
post #6388 of 8843 Old 11-18-2011, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mickey79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 1,098
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

You are very welcome. There is a thread in the subwoofer forum about this very sub. Member KidHorn just put 2 of these into service. PM him and ask him what he thinks and get a good first hand impression.


http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1372910

This is fantastic - just what i was looking for. I will definitely get in touch with him. Thanks again - I appreciate this.

7.1: Polk RTi12 Fronts, RTi8 Surrounds, Monitor70 Surround Backs, CSi A6 Center + Outlaw LFM-1 EX Subwoofer.
Yamaha RX-A2000 AVR
Epson 5010 3D Projector
Intel Sandy Bridge 3D HTPC / Blu-ray Player
mickey79 is offline  
post #6389 of 8843 Old 11-18-2011, 12:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Sweetmeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

Go to Emotiva.com and get yourself either a XPA3 or 5. They are both on sale right now for excellent prices. While your there order 2 of those Ultra 12 subwoofers which are on closeout, also unbelievable price for a sub that got excellent review from Audioholics. Read that review and you will order them. 2 for what 1 would have cost not very long ago. Free shipping on all of it also at this time.

That XPA5 looks really good and it might be perfect for me. Before I buy something else that maybe I don't really need or doesn't do what I want it to do without needing something else, I'd like to get an answer to the following questions:

1) How would a system respond using amps that provide different watts. Would the speakers amp'd externally have higher potential volume while the speakers amp'd to the A3000 have a lower potential volume, and therefore be "corrected" with YPAO's level setting and therefore eliminating the effectiveness of the external amp?

This is why I thought I would need all speakers driven by amp(s) that have the same wattage. I realize the 5 channel amp would negate this question, but I'd like to know if there would be a problem or not by going with the 3 channel amp.

2) Can speakers really handle their advertised wattage? I don't want to buy a TRUE 200 w/channel AMP for my speakers rated at 200 w/channel if they can't really handle 200 w/channel. But I also don't want to underbuy if they really CAN handle their advertised wattage.

Family Room
Samsung TV - PN59D8000 - wall mounted
HW50ES projector w/electric Elite 120" ceiling mounted screen (drops in front of plasma)
Receiver - Yamaha RX-A3000
Amp (getting ready to buy amp - probably Emotiva XPR-5)
Front Speakers - B&W CM9
Center - B&W CMC2
Surrounds - B&W CM5
Rear...
Sweetmeat is offline  
post #6390 of 8843 Old 11-18-2011, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
phantom52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: TX
Posts: 7,051
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetmeat View Post

That XPA5 looks really good and it might be perfect for me. Before I buy something else that maybe I don't really need or doesn't do what I want it to do without needing something else, I'd like to get an answer to the following questions:

1) How would a system respond using amps that provide different watts. Would the speakers amp'd externally have higher potential volume while the speakers amp'd to the A3000 have a lower potential volume, and therefore be "corrected" with YPAO's level setting and therefore eliminating the effectiveness of the external amp?

This is why I thought I would need all speakers driven by amp(s) that have the same wattage. I realize the 5 channel amp would negate this question, but I'd like to know if there would be a problem or not by going with the 3 channel amp.

2) Can speakers really handle their advertised wattage? I don't want to buy a TRUE 200 w/channel AMP for my speakers rated at 200 w/channel if they can't really handle 200 w/channel. But I also don't want to underbuy if they really CAN handle their advertised wattage.

Either of these amps will work with those speakers. And it doesn't matter which amp you get, if you get one. You will still have to re-run YPAO anyway. If you don't want to use the EQ program and decide to try this with a meter instead you will still need to set the levels anyway. So if you feel you want to try an amp with your speakers or even want to try bi-amping with an additional amp, go for it. The XPA 3 can power the fronts and your AVR can do the surrounds. Or you add more speakers to the system and try the presence system if you want to try that also. Options out the wazoo if you want. The XPA5 will allow front and rear presence along with the amps in your AVR. Are you confused now? I'd go for the XPA3, bi-amp the fronts, and re-run YPAO. But that's just me, not into a room full of speakers. 5.2 is what I like.
phantom52 is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off