Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandM View Post

You must not be running ABP.

I shouldn't have to run ABP just to block these linkjack ads. Why did AVS suddenly start putting them in? That's the bigger question. This site deals with products and model numbers specifically for the purpose of discussion about the product(s), and the damned ad crap spams links all over the posts. Even words that don't refer to any specific product or service are being hijacked.

Does AVS really want to drive its userbase away that badly? I already use ClickToFlash to block flash ads - ABP isn't avaialble for all browsers, and I don't necessarily like using Firefox because it's dog slow compared to just about everything else, especially its UI.

I don't mind the ads/pictures they already had - I've actually found a few of them useful. These linkjacks however aren't useful - they're intrusive. It's not a good thing when I have to "remember" to keep my mouse away from any text on the screen for fear of intrusive popup ads.

And saying "why aren't you running ABP" is not a valid defense of the practice.

Edit: Oh, and AVS is sort of violating their own policy: We can't put anything but MSRP in our posts, and they frown upon that unless it's an initial review etc., so why are they letting these ad links show up with ...you guessed it: prices in them?

Something to think about if you're considering defending this practice.

When a Priest says they're going to Flash you, it isn't for healing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 8850 Old 10-01-2010, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Theater View Post

Talked to "Taylor" this evening (Ext:4083). . . He said no B.S. He can and will ship to you as fast as you want them.

For me! . . . I'm too Chicken S**t just yet , but maybe with/after a few more posts, I will probably not be able to resist.

I have owned several Yamaha Music Products (including, currently, a $35,000 Yamaha Grand piano, a Yamaha RX-Z9 dedicated to my Home Theater System (the RX-Z9continues to blow me away (Audio wise)).

For the past several years I have been running a Yamaha 9.2 system (and I do have all those speakers (Def-Tech) and want to add 2 more (Rear Prescence to make 11.2)). . . . and they answered my request with: RX-A3000.

Let me tell you why...

If You have a Front Projector Setup and are projecting onto a large Screen (mine is 120").

I am advising you try the Dialog Lift with the Front Prescence Speakers.

I am telling you! Your center channel speaker will now sound like it is projecting from any vertical point on the screen.

Anyway . . . I can go on and on . . . Yes! Yamaha has always delivered the goods in A/V Recievers for me!

Hope this helps!

Mike

No need for dialog lift or extra speakers if you have them behind an AT screen.
post #633 of 8850 Old 10-01-2010, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I am debating on buying the 3000 or a onkyo 5008, in reference to the 3000, is the amp section based on ice power (the light weight makes me wonder) , also I am looking for a receiver with a hdmi passthrough, in order to watch tv with receiver off, please excuse my ignorance on these matters as I am new to buying receivers, I would be using it with aperion speakers (6 ohms), thanks
post #634 of 8850 Old 10-01-2010, 05:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by grey9hound View Post

Can anyone post their impressions on the two channel performance from the RX-A1000 or
Rx-A2000 ? Thanks

Anyone?
post #635 of 8850 Old 10-01-2010, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey9hound View Post

Anyone?

Well, it seems to me that if it sounds good with 6 channels or 7 or 9 or whatever, it would sound good with 2. What do you want to know exactly?

I have listened to LPs and FLACs and think it sounds great. I like the fact that you can easily switch between STRAIGHT, 2.1 (using crossover to direct bass to sub), or Pure Direct. They all sound good, w/ Pure Direct being the most natural, Straight being a little beefier in terms of bottom end, and 2ch stereo good for some sources but too much for others.

But I should qualify my opinions by saying that this is all coming out of mid-level consumer grade bookshelf speakers (largish though they may be). I am sure a nice pair of floors would be orders of magnitude better but my WAF and my small home don't allow for it.

Also, all I can realy compare the sound to (where all else is equal) is my previous receiver, a 6 or 7 year old RX-V730. To my ears, it's a significant improvement. But it's *not* an analog McIntosh tube amp playing thru silk cones in a big wooden box!

.... changing the subject a bit, I'm not entirely satisfied with the audio output from TV. I'm running optical out from my U-Verse Motorola STB, set to 5.1, and while I accept that different stations are presenting different sound configurations, there seems to be a slight "nasal" quality to a lot of the TV sound, for lack of a better word. It's almost as if the speakers are inside a metal trunk sometimes. That's a bit of an exaggeration -- it's tolerable but the 730 didn't do this. Also, at one point I was able to switch between various surround decoders while watching TV, but now I don't seem to be able to. It's all STRAIGHT Dolby Digital. WTF? Anybody know what setting I might have changed to make this option go away?
post #636 of 8850 Old 10-01-2010, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzer View Post

I am debating on buying the 3000 or a onkyo 5008, in reference to the 3000, is the amp section based on ice power (the light weight makes me wonder) , also I am looking for a receiver with a hdmi passthrough, in order to watch tv with receiver off, please excuse my ignorance on these matters as I am new to buying receivers, I would be using it with aperion speakers (6 ohms), thanks

No, the Yamaha does not employ ice power amps. The A3000 is only 2.5 lbs lighter than the Z7, both are rated at 140w/ch. I think they re-engineered their receiver and amps for this. I will also be using 6 ohm speakers, which I've used on 2 other Yamaha receivers and worked great.
post #637 of 8850 Old 10-01-2010, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

I got another response from Yamaha support and had ABT check for the software. I was told it should be available in the 2nd week in October. This is supposed to be a network version not the serial port version like the link posted a few pages back for another Yamaha receiver. I'm not getting my hopes up and I have it all working again with my Cinemar software via direct IR into the back from my slinke but only the main features like inputs, volume, mute etc which can also be done from web interface on Yamaha. I am disappointed that the input select which works in standby on the remote does not work via the web page unless the receiver is fully powered on doesn't make a whole lot of sense that you can use the remote but not the gui on webpage when some of the features on the web interface do work in standby.
post #638 of 8850 Old 10-01-2010, 10:18 AM

Has anyone actually recieved an RXA3000 yet. I have heard some say that some online sites show them as available and I noticed Yamaha removed the Will Be Available Mid September note from their website....just wondering if they are actually being shipped or stocked at the local dealers...
post #639 of 8850 Old 10-01-2010, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoots View Post

I got another response from Yamaha support and had ABT check for the software. I was told it should be available in the 2nd week in October. This is supposed to be a network version not the serial port version like the link posted a few pages back for another Yamaha receiver. I'm not getting my hopes up and I have it all working again with my Cinemar software via direct IR into the back from my slinke but only the main features like inputs, volume, mute etc which can also be done from web interface on Yamaha. I am disappointed that the input select which works in standby on the remote does not work via the web page unless the receiver is fully powered on doesn't make a whole lot of sense that you can use the remote but not the gui on webpage when some of the features on the web interface do work in standby.

Actually, not being able to use the ethernet port for access with the unit off does make sense, in a hardware mechanics way. For HDMI switching with the unit off, you need only the IR and HDMI board powered. That's it. To use the web interface you need the entire unit powered, as ALL of the PCBs would need to be on (the HDMI board is controlled by two pieces of equipment: the IR and the motherboard with the OS on it). It's the mainboard that requires the unit to be fully powered.

It isn't without its annoyances, but from a technical point of view, it's logical.

post #640 of 8850 Old 10-01-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:

I am disappointed that the input select which works in standby on the remote does not work via the web page unless the receiver is fully powered on doesn't make a whole lot of sense that you can use the remote but not the gui on webpage when some of the features on the web interface do work in standby.

There is a Network Standby setting. If this is set to ON, does that change anything? Just wondering. Haven't tried it. From p. 121 of the manual (for A2000):

Quote:

NETWORK STANDBY
Selects whether or not to turn this unit on by the command over the network when in the standby mode.

When "network standby" is set to "On", this unit can be turned on by the command over the network during the standby mode with the power consumption of about only 5W.

QFT. Love that translation!
post #641 of 8850 Old 10-01-2010, 12:17 PM

@ bustamelon.
I had posted yesterday about my experiences with the A2000 after setting up a Zone 2. The sound quality for lack of a better word was crap. High, tinny, no depth are all words I would use to describe it. THAT BEING SAID, I haven't adjusted the speakers on Zone 2 (mainly because I dont know where the speaker settings are for Zone 2). Also I wont pass judgment quite yet because I'm running smaller speaker wire upstairs at the moment and I know that kills a lot of the depth. Also I was listening to internet radio so I dont know if that has anything to do with it.

As far as you being displeased with the sound quality from tv have you tried the "Compressed music enhancer"? Supposed to do decent things to sound quality in a situation like you're describing.
post #642 of 8850 Old 10-01-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadnbrkn84 View Post

@ bustamelon.
I had posted yesterday about my experiences with the A2000 after setting up a Zone 2. The sound quality for lack of a better word was crap. High, tinny, no depth are all words I would use to describe it. THAT BEING SAID, I haven't adjusted the speakers on Zone 2 (mainly because I dont know where the speaker settings are for Zone 2). Also I wont pass judgment quite yet because I'm running smaller speaker wire upstairs at the moment and I know that kills a lot of the depth. Also I was listening to internet radio so I dont know if that has anything to do with it.

As far as you being displeased with the sound quality from tv have you tried the "Compressed music enhancer"? Supposed to do decent things to sound quality in a situation like you're describing.

most internet radio is 96 kbps or 128 kbps- not very nice, 192kbps can be considered 'high quality' for internet radio- still not very nice.

New Zealand
post #643 of 8850 Old 10-01-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadnbrkn84 View Post

@ bustamelon.

I'm willing to bet it's all or mostly at the source. Internet radio not so good, as kiwiguy says. That plus the wimpy wire I suppose.

I did try the "compressed music enhancer" button, and it does make a difference but not enough to make it good. This is not as much a quality issue as it is the wrong DSP mode, or like my YPAO settings go right out the window for some TV programs. Ah well. I will keep fiddling with the buttons. FOREVER. I should have some time to myself this weekend where I can feel free to fiddle all I want.
post #644 of 8850 Old 10-01-2010, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

I need to clarify my small gripe. With the unit in standby you CAN access it via the network from the IP address and bring up the Web GUI which shows volume and what state the input is in plus other info. The issue is that you have to Turn the main unit ON to change inputs....HOWEVER while in standby the remote IR controller WILL allow the input selections to be made so to me it didn't make sense...
post #645 of 8850 Old 10-01-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:

I need to clarify my small gripe. With the unit in standby you CAN access it via the network from the IP address and bring up the Web GUI which shows volume and what state the input is in plus other info. The issue is that you have to Turn the main unit ON to change inputs....HOWEVER while in standby the remote IR controller WILL allow the input selections to be made so to me it didn't make sense...

Ah, I see. You're right, that doesn't make a lot of sense.
But you do have the Network Standby turned on?
post #646 of 8850 Old 10-01-2010, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, I don't think the web interface is available when in standby unless it is on. On another note I tried out the iPhone app and it will not change inputs either without power up.
post #647 of 8850 Old 10-01-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymiles View Post

Are there any more frequencies available in the subwoofer channel this time around, specifically rx-a2000 as that looks the best bang for buck.

Would be nice if they added a few might get reasonable results using rew then.

The sub EQ frequencies in A2000 are: 31.3, 39.4, 49.6, 62.5, 78.7, 99.2, 125.0, 157.5, 198.4, 250.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilsens View Post

Hi all,

the new RX-A3000 looks very nice.
Could anybody say something about the 2 Subwoofer use (Front / Rear)?
Is it possible to adjuce the 2 Subwoofers seperate (Delay, Param. EQ, etc.)

In Front/Rear configuration low frequencies from all front speakers go the the Front Sub, from the surrounds - to the Back Sub.

The same logic applies to the Left/Right configuration.

You can adjust each sub independently the same way you adjust any other speaker.

A2000 automatic YAPAO produces exactly the same results as the YAPAO in RX-V667 which I tested two weeks ago.
post #648 of 8850 Old 10-01-2010, 02:06 PM

LeoB, did you notice a difference in sound quality/colour between the RX-V667 and the A2000?
post #649 of 8850 Old 10-01-2010, 03:24 PM

I am looking at the RX-A2000 vs Denon avr-3311ci vs the tx-nr1008. Many of the user reviews of the Yamaha 2065 pointed to a lack of sensitivity of its FM section. Does anyone have information of any such problem in Yamaha's aventage series?

Thanks
post #650 of 8850 Old 10-01-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerianf View Post

LeoB, did you notice a difference in sound quality/colour between the RX-V667 and the A2000?

I can not answer this question since I used RX-V667 as a pre-pro with Pioneer Elite VSX-72 as a power amp. This combination sounded completely different from the A2000.

I would say that A2000 sounds similar to Pioneer Elite (by itself) but has much better EQ.
post #651 of 8850 Old 10-01-2010, 05:05 PM

Thanks for your advice.
I will look at the A1000 or A2000, as I do not want to add an external power amp.
post #652 of 8850 Old 10-01-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick W View Post

Observation: the A3000 support Sirius tuners but not XM, unlike predecessor models.

Snark: maybe because Yamaha could never figure out how to make the XM stuff work after the 1.4 firmware for the 3900 broke it?

So, no XM compatibility? Am I supposed to buy another home dock (Sirius) and change my subscription over from XM to Sirius? I understand they merged I was hoping I could use my current XM hardware with the A1000.

edit-
Quote:

SCENE – A NEW LEVEL OF OPERATING EASE
Four SCENE buttons make operating the receiver easier than ever. They are initially set to default settings for DVD Viewing, Disc Listening, TV Viewing and Radio Listening. Pressing a SCENE button automatically launches a number of operations that initiate play of the source controlled by that button. Other SCENE settings are also available, such as iPod Listening, XM Listening, TV Sports Viewing and Action Game Playing. Browsing and selecting the settings is quickly accomplished by changing Input via the front panel and watching the on-screen display. The settings can be selected for one-time use, or they can replace the original default settings. The SCENE names can be changed also.

Why list "XM Listening"?
post #653 of 8850 Old 10-01-2010, 06:01 PM

I got my A2000 for two weeks now, everything is ok but FM radio.
I use yamaha's fm atanna, 94.7 is on and off, 103.5 is gone...
my 6 years old nad and 3 years old HK receivers don't have this problem, i switched the atanna, same result.
Is it normal for receivers with hd tuner?
if the tuner is defective, i will return it, as i like fm radio and listen to it almost everyday. Internet radio sounds cold and hollow, fm is warmer.
pls advise. Tks.
post #654 of 8850 Old 10-01-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepr View Post

I am looking at the RX-A2000 vs Denon avr-3311ci vs the tx-nr1008. Many of the user reviews of the Yamaha 2065 pointed to a lack of sensitivity of its FM section. Does anyone have information of any such problem in Yamaha's aventage series?

Thanks

my a2000's am is ok, but fm is the worst. my old nad and hk are much better. I dno't understand yamaha pay attention to a fuse, but cut corners at fm tuner. it is my first yamaha receiver, it let me down.
post #655 of 8850 Old 10-01-2010, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
After the long wait for this baby after I sold my Pioneer SC-37, I finally got the 3000..

I'm using Rotel amps for all 7.1 channels and the yamaha for the front presence speakers...

So far, it sound AWESOME... When listening to 2 channel music, I had to walk upto my center speaker to make sure it was off...

Detail was aswsome and sondstage was huge..

Movies thus far sound Awesome also.. Very detailed and unreal steering for the channels..

but..

I used the mic to setup the system for 9.2.. I have 2 subs in the mono config...(both located beside each other - that was best placement)

AFter the mic did its thing, I changed all the speakers from Large which it set ,to small and set crossover to 80hz per speakers.. I also Used a Radio Shack SPL meter to correct the levels..

Here is where questions start..

1- I noticed that for the distance for all channels, they seeemed to be correct, but the sub was greater distance than the actual measured distance with a tape measuere..

Should I trust the Mic for the sub distance, or use a good old fasion tape measure and fix it?

2- When correcting the SPL with my radio shack meter for all channels, I noticed that the two subs were quite a bit lower than the rest of the channels.. So, I set each sub seperate to acheive the same SPL as the rest of the channels.. Is this the correct thing to do for 2 subs? I ask because the bass is now VERY LOUD.... What should I really be doing?

I know the yamaha allows me to adjust each sub seperate, but it seems to add too much bass...

3- For the front presence speakers... I find that ADVENTURE mode seems to sound the best... using the 3-D DSP also.. But... I find that not much info is really coming out of the speakers.. Seems lower than rest of channels also.. Is this Normal? When using the STANDARD mode with 3-D DSP I hear no info going to them..

Will there be a firmware in future with PLIIZ mode?

4- HOw does one set the Scene modes? I tried and seemed to save settings, but, when going into the details for the that scene, I found that some settings were indeed not saved.. Like the FLAT EQ mode , it was on natural..

HOw does one correct this?

Also, once you get past the first 4 scene modes, how does one make other scene modes since the yamaha can do 12..

Sorry for these questions, but to fully get the ultimate sound form this baby, I need knowledge..

Thanks in advance..
post #656 of 8850 Old 10-01-2010, 10:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hrm. So they do have a network standby (Wake on LAN) setting. With that, and the IR port working with the remote, it does seem kind of odd that there isn't a way to switch inputs via the web when Network Standby is on. My guess is that the IR port is passing direct control codes (remote control) through the board with the OS on it or has a split connection going to both the mainboard and the HDMI board, while the LAN port must go through the built in OS server to activate any features other than "on/off". I'm sure they could have built a unit that does what you want, but it'd cost a couple hundred more (even though the physical connections/wires cost maybe $10 per unit). Maybe we'll get lucky and it's really just a firmware omission/cockblock that can be overcome with a future patch.

We can always hope, right?

post #657 of 8850 Old 10-01-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muad'dib View Post

After the long wait for this baby after I sold my Pioneer SC-37, I finally got the 3000..

I'm using Rotel amps for all 7.1 channels and the yamaha for the front presence speakers...

So far, it sound AWESOME... When listening to 2 channel music, I had to walk upto my center speaker to make sure it was off...

Movies thus far sound Awesome also.. Very detailed and unreal steering for the channels..

but..

I used the mic to setup the system for 9.2.. I have 2 subs in the mono config...(both located beside each other - that was best placement)

AFter the mic did its thing, I changed all the speakers from Large which it set ,to small and set crossover to 80hz per speakers.. I also Used a Radio Shack SPL meter to correct the levels..

1- I noticed that for the distance for all channels, they seeemed to be correct, but the sub was greater distance than the actual measured distance with a tape measuere..

Should I trust the Mic for the sub distance, or use a good old fasion tape measure and fix it?

2- When correcting the SPL with my radio shack meter for all channels, I noticed that the two subs were quite a bit lower than the rest of the channels.. So, I set each sub seperate to acheive the same SPL as the rest of the channels.. Is this the correct thing to do for 2 subs? I ask because the bass is now VERY LOUD.... What should I really be doing?

I know the yamaha allows me to adjust each sub seperate, but it seems to add too much bass...

3- For the front presence speakers... I find that ADVENTURE mode seems to sound the best... using the 3-D DSP also.. But... I find that not much info is really coming out of the speakers.. Seems lower than rest of channels also.. Is this Normal? When using the STANDARD mode with 3-D DSP I hear no info going to them..

4- HOw does one set the Scene modes? I tried and seemed to save settings, but, when going into the details for the that scene, I found that some settings were indeed not saved.. Like the FLAT EQ mode , it was on natural..

Also, once you get past the first 4 scene modes, how does one make other scene modes since the yamaha can do 12..

Sorry for these questions, but to fully get the ultimate sound form this baby, I need knowledge..

Thanks in advance..

man you have me excited here, too excited to concentrate on your questions. your set up is what mine will be when we get our receivers released down here, about 3 weeks time. are you using the zone 2 and 3 also, this is the only part of the set up i cannot get my head around. Is the zone 3 pre out still active and useable for zone 3?

for the bass out put i would use your spl meter and turn your subs down one click at a time each until you achieve the acceptable bass output.

you could try the adaptive drc turned on to achieve higher output from presence channels, my guess is that the power amps are delivering more current than the yammie and all becomes in sync at reference level.

another trick is to use the ypao, then go back and turn the volume down to where you would normally listen, go through with your spl meter and set the levels accordingly, then they would be a little high when your volume is turned to '0'. However you will never turn it up that loud as i assume it would be above comfortable. Try adaptive drc first.

New Zealand
post #658 of 8850 Old 10-02-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:

Trust the Mic. It takes into account sub's phase delay.

Can't comment on your other questions, since I don't use either SPL meter or Front Presence speakers.

Have not played with Scene's settings yet.
post #659 of 8850 Old 10-02-2010, 08:53 AM

I currently have a rx-v1700. It's been great. Now I am looking into upgrading. The new Aventage looks very appealing.

I have:
hd-dvr
ps3, xbox360, Wii
Def Tech bp7002's, 2500, bpx
Epson 8500ub Projector (106" screen)

I was reading the thread and someone mentioned that the rx-a3000 was the one to get if you have a projector due to the adjustability of the video processor. I've never used the processor on the receiver so I don't know what I'd be missing if I don't have it. Will the processor and its adjustability really make a big difference? Or since everything I have puts out my projector's native resolution of 1080p is it better to just go with the a1000 and save the money? Is this upgrade gonna wow my socks off?

Thanks for the advice
post #660 of 8850 Old 10-02-2010, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

but..

Thanks in advance..

I would leave the distance for the sub at what it calculated. All subs have an inherent delay. It is my understanding that most automated sytems will compensate for this by showing it as farther away than it is . This should allow it to hit at the correct time.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page