Forum Jump: 

post #7081 of 8843 Old 01-06-2012, 10:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegal3 View Post

Hi guys, I just bought RX-A3000 and I have a question. I only have a 5.1 speakers set-up connected to Emotiva XPA-5 (5 channel amplifier) . My question is which power amp assign do I choose? Thanks.

I can assume that you are connecting all your speakers to the XPA-5. Because none of the onboard amplication is being used you can set it to 7 channel normal (default). You could also use 7 channel + front and it would be able to use the front amplifiers for another purpose. The preouts are "hot" all the time so reassigning the internal amps does not matter in your case as you are not using them. Connect your XPA-5 to the LF-C-RF-LS-RS preouts, your speakers to the corresponding channels on the external amp and run YPAO. It will detect the sound output from the speakers and set the rear surround and presence speakers to none.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7082 of 8843 Old 01-06-2012, 11:28 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDKing2 View Post

I can assume that you are connecting all your speakers to the XPA-5. Because none of the onboard amplication is being used you can set it to 7 channel normal (default). You could also use 7 channel + front and it would be able to use the front amplifiers for another purpose. The preouts are "hot" all the time so reassigning the internal amps does not matter in your case as you are not using them. Connect your XPA-5 to the LF-C-RF-LS-RS preouts, your speakers to the corresponding channels on the external amp and run YPAO. It will detect the sound output from the speakers and set the rear surround and presence speakers to none.

Thank you for the quick answer RDKing2!!!
post #7083 of 8843 Old 01-07-2012, 04:30 AM

configured for 7ch. went i simply hooked up the preamp outs to xpa3, input switching or when i would power cycle the amp would cause the xpa to go into protection. when i reconfigured to 7ch+front, the fronts dont cause this but the center still does.there is an audible pop during some functions. are the preamp outs outputting too much voltage? whats wrong? why did the amp reassign work for the front two?

a.pelc
oppo bdp 93
pioneer sc-55
emotiva xpa3
audiolab 8200dq
littledot mk3
monitor audio rx silver
sennheiser 558
epik legend sub
post #7084 of 8843 Old 01-07-2012, 08:49 AM

Hi all,

I purchased the A3000 through Neweggs $899 deal for Black Friday and I'm in love with this receiver! But, I do have one little problem that I cannot seem to figure out how to fix. When I first turn on the TV and receiver, the receiver does not remember the last setting I had it on and reverts to a default setting. And then, the default settings go to AV2, which is the TV but no sound comes out, I have to wait for around 25 seconds then I press the AV2 button on the remote and the sound comes out. This is driving me a little crazy, I have looked for a default settings and cannot find any.

Please help!!

Cooney
post #7085 of 8843 Old 01-07-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooney001 View Post

Hi all,

I purchased the A3000 through Neweggs $899 deal for Black Friday and I'm in love with this receiver! But, I do have one little problem that I cannot seem to figure out how to fix. When I first turn on the TV and receiver, the receiver does not remember the last setting I had it on and reverts to a default setting. And then, the default settings go to AV2, which is the TV but no sound comes out, I have to wait for around 25 seconds then I press the AV2 button on the remote and the sound comes out. This is driving me a little crazy, I have looked for a default settings and cannot find any.

Please help!!

Cooney

Try using one of the scene buttons on the remote. The manual will tell you which one is for use with whatever source you want use. Can't remember at this time which is for TV or any of the other sources. These scene buttons can also be changed to what you want to use them for by setting up the source and pressing and holding the selected scene button down for a few seconds. Hope this helps. Good luck and enjoy.
post #7086 of 8843 Old 01-07-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

Try using one of the scene buttons on the remote. The manual will tell you which one is for use with whatever source you want use. Can't remember at this time which is for TV or any of the other sources. These scene buttons can also be changed to what you want to use them for by setting up the source and pressing and holding the selected scene button down for a few seconds. Hope this helps. Good luck and enjoy.

Scene 2 is TV and as said adjust the scene then hold its button to save it. The only thing I don't see being saved per scene is dynamic range. I can't get it to at least.
post #7087 of 8843 Old 01-07-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amp74 View Post

configured for 7ch. went i simply hooked up the preamp outs to xpa3, input switching or when i would power cycle the amp would cause the xpa to go into protection. when i reconfigured to 7ch+front, the fronts dont cause this but the center still does.there is an audible pop during some functions. are the preamp outs outputting too much voltage? whats wrong? why did the amp reassign work for the front two?

only thing I can think of that would cause a problem on the Yamaha is that you have the center preout AND a speaker hooked to the speaker output for the center on the avr. I am sure you know that the LF-C-RF speaker wires connnect to the external amp and not the avr. You would not use the speaker connections on the avr UNLESS the internal amps are reconfigured for another duty.
post #7088 of 8843 Old 01-07-2012, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by baforer View Post

For the A2000, it is listed in the table of contents under the SETUP section

Thanks i found it. I guess i should have looked there in the first place. Update wenr just fine. I am having one issue when passing a 3d picture through the yamaha. Sometimes it works great and sometimes it says no 3d display device detected( on both of my 3d blu ray players ) I have to turn the blu ray off sometimes a couple of times to get it to pass the signal. The issue is in the yamaha because when i by pass it and feed the blu ray directly to the proector this does not happen. Has anybody had any issues with this? Other than that this receiver rocks.

Dan Webster
Never stop upgrading!

Updated Theater Pictures

post #7089 of 8843 Old 01-07-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durzil View Post

Scene 2 is TV and as said adjust the scene then hold its button to save it. The only thing I don't see being saved per scene is dynamic range. I can't get it to at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

Thanks, guys, I have tried that, setting up everything for the TV then pressing and holding the Scene 2 down until it states settings saved but when I turn off the system, it does remember the settings for scene 2 but defaults to something else. After the receiver is on for around 25 seconds, I press scene 2 and the sound works.

I'm not sure why it's doing this but it's driving me and my wife CRAZY.
post #7090 of 8843 Old 01-07-2012, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

Thanks, guys, I have tried that, setting up everything for the TV then pressing and holding the Scene 2 down until it states settings saved but when I turn off the system, it does remember the settings for scene 2 but defaults to something else. After the receiver is on for around 25 seconds, I press scene 2 and the sound works.

I'm not sure why it's doing this but it's driving me and my wife CRAZY.

Hi cooney001, most likely the TV HDMI-CEC feature is turned on ... try turning it off. Some HDMI-CEC trade names are: Samsung - AnyNet+, Panasonic - Viera Link, Pioneer - Kuro Link, Sony - Bravia Sync, etc...).
post #7091 of 8843 Old 01-07-2012, 04:19 PM

Given that I have a wimpy sub who's bottom end is rated the same as the Polk Monitor 70 fronts I have (30hz), would you set the crossover at 40hz or leave it at the 60hz that it's currently at? From the way I understand it with the Yamaha A3000 the subs LPF is set based on what I set my fronts so it only gets the 60hz and below now and would only get 40hz and below if changed?
post #7092 of 8843 Old 01-07-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi cooney001, most likely the TV HDMI-CEC feature is turned on ... try turning it off. Some HDMI-CEC trade names are: Samsung - AnyNet+, Panasonic - Viera Link, Pioneer - Kuro Link, Sony - Bravia Sync, etc...).

Sorry to play dumb but where is this feature in the receiver? It's a little frustating when you search the manual and it comes up with nothing about CEC.
post #7093 of 8843 Old 01-07-2012, 08:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:

Sorry to play dumb but where is this feature in the receiver? It's a little frustating when you search the manual and it comes up with nothing about CEC.

HDMI-CEC = "HDMI Control".
post #7094 of 8843 Old 01-07-2012, 08:38 PM

Liked: 17
Hi Im just wondering how to hook up my Emotiva IPS-1 7 channel to the 3000
I want to run a 7.2 setup with front presence. I want to continue to bi amp the front speakers and the center with the emo. Since the front/presence preouts are shared I guess I must use the emo to power the back surrounds in order to have surround back and front presence work at the same time.
Id also like to power 2 zone 2 speakers but not the same time as the main zone speakers. so do I hook up those speakers to the rear presence speaker conectors.
Sorry if this has been covered, its just a little confusing

Yamaha RX-A3000, Oppo 95, Emotiva IPS-1, Emotiva RPA-1, Energy Veritas 1.8s, RC70s, LCR, RCRs, RC10s, Energy S12.3, Velodyne SPL-1200R
post #7095 of 8843 Old 01-07-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Thank, will try it in the morning, everyone is asleep.
post #7096 of 8843 Old 01-07-2012, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

Thank, will try it in the morning, everyone is asleep.

RX-A3000 HDMI Control is set to off by default. Check your tv HDMI Control setting as some model are set to on by default.
post #7097 of 8843 Old 01-08-2012, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

RX-A3000 HDMI Control is set to off by default. Check your tv HDMI Control setting as some model are set to on by default.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

That did the trick, thanks so much for the help! But there is a draw back to having it off. I do not have a universal remote so I use the remote that comes with my U Verse. When the HDMI Control is on, it lets me control the volume with the U Verse remote, which is a very nice feature. Now that I know what is going on, I might leave that control on.

Thanks again for all the help, this forum is awesome!
post #7098 of 8843 Old 01-08-2012, 06:11 AM

all wiring is confirmed. power cycles or source changes cause a sharp pop snap from the speaker followed by fault protection mode being tripped. when i turned off the receiver but left the amp on, a horrid screech emitted from the center channel. i think the center preout signal is contaminated.

a.pelc
oppo bdp 93
pioneer sc-55
emotiva xpa3
audiolab 8200dq
littledot mk3
monitor audio rx silver
sennheiser 558
epik legend sub
post #7099 of 8843 Old 01-08-2012, 06:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:

all wiring is confirmed. power cycles or source changes cause a sharp pop snap from the speaker followed by fault protection mode being tripped. when i turned off the receiver but left the amp on, a horrid screech emitted from the center channel. i think the center preout signal is contaminated.

Sounds like your amp is defective. As a test, move the inputs to different channels on the amp and see if the problem also moves.
post #7100 of 8843 Old 01-08-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:

You can try connecting another line source directly to the amp such as an ipod to check if the problem is in the amp. Just be careful if connecting a line source with no volume control.
post #7101 of 8843 Old 01-08-2012, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Yep, i would do the same as either rdgrimes and/or rdking suggested..

The easiest would be to swap the Center and Right main inputs on the amp. If the pop/squeal moves to the Right main then you can safely say its a receiver issue etc.

Cheers

Love DIY
post #7102 of 8843 Old 01-08-2012, 01:29 PM

Liked: 17
Hi I was asking about how to hookup my Emotiva IPS-1 7 channel amp to the 3000
I did some more reading and may have figured it out. The front and front presence preouts are shared so it kind of threw me off
On my old yam receiver I currently have my front speakers biamped with the emo, the center driven with the emo, the surrounds emo driven, and the rear surrounds driven by the receiver.
Id like to know how to hook up the emo up to the 3000. There isnt a configuration that shows exactly what I want nor is there any amp assign like I want to do.
Id like to have what I have now, but also add front presence, and maybe another zone. On page 24 of the manual it shows a 7 channel plus front. The diagram shows rear presence and back surrounds. If I dont hook up the rear presence will the back surrounds and front presence work at the same time.
If I ext biamp the fronts and ext amp the center I still have 2 channels left, could I hook them up to the zone 2 or 3 preouts for another zone?

I didnt actually buy another 3000 yet, as many of you know my first 3000 that I bought from Amazon for $899 on black thursday was stolen by the DHL guy. They couldnt give me a replacement because they sold them all. Well they have some more in stock, but not for $899. Im going to see if they would sell me one for $899 and maybe free shiupping too.
The final tally would have been about $1300 and now I can get the 3010 for about $1550 all together locally. So about $250 more or maybe $350 or $450 more if amazon gives me free shipping.
The thing is I was checking out the differences in the US and Can versions. The US version has a HD tuner, a Sirius Sat input, more internet music options, and has a power consumption of 490 watts vs 400 (so is it more powerfull). It would be nice to get the 3010 for an extra few things, but if amazon will give me a great deal on the 3000
I think the US version is better, anythoughts would be appreciated.

Yamaha RX-A3000, Oppo 95, Emotiva IPS-1, Emotiva RPA-1, Energy Veritas 1.8s, RC70s, LCR, RCRs, RC10s, Energy S12.3, Velodyne SPL-1200R
post #7103 of 8843 Old 01-10-2012, 06:18 AM

Gents on the RX-A3000 can I run YPAO on a separate zone, presuming I can extent the mic to that zone? Thanks.
post #7104 of 8843 Old 01-10-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

Extra Bass is evil.

I'd love clarification on that statement.

OK, I have read nearly every post in this thread and other threads on the large vs small vs extra bass debate and I understand why you should set your speakers to small and have a crossover to about 80hz and yet when I set my fronts to large and turn on extra bass and set a crossover of about 80hz on the AVR (ypao settings) and sub, I really like the sound and prefer it that way.

So my questions ......

1. Am I causing long term damage to my AVR and/or speakers?
2. Does personal preference override everything?
3. Any other rx-a?000 users out there using extra bass?
4. If so what AVR crossover, sub crossover and levels are you using?
5. Is it really evil?

My gear ....

rx-a1000 avr
mission mx 4 fronts (a UK brand) (44hz upward)
mision mc 2 center
mission dts surrounds
mission ms 10 sub

Also, I only watch movies and BTW this is my first post so take it easy on me
post #7105 of 8843 Old 01-10-2012, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 82
^^^^If you like it that's all that matters. I can't see where it's hurting anything. Set it up the way you like it and let her go. Enjoy. Welcome to the forum. Lot of good info here to help you get started in this crazy hobby.
post #7106 of 8843 Old 01-10-2012, 03:21 PM

oops I changed something in the manager software and can't seem to figure it out.

I use to be able to turn the Yamaha with either my browser interface or the android app. Now it doesn't show online, until after I manual turn the Yamaha on. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I did.

I have the rx a2000.

Thank you in advance
post #7107 of 8843 Old 01-10-2012, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by barri View Post

I'd love clarification on that statement.

OK, I have read nearly every post in this thread and other threads on the large vs small vs extra bass debate and I understand why you should set your speakers to small and have a crossover to about 80hz and yet when I set my fronts to large and turn on extra bass and set a crossover of about 80hz on the AVR (ypao settings) and sub, I really like the sound and prefer it that way.

So my questions ......

1. Am I causing long term damage to my AVR and/or speakers?

No.
Quote:

2. Does personal preference override everything?

for your own setup, yes. However, preference does not equal reference and many here strive to attain accuracy in sound reproduction as much as possible. Doesn't mean you (or anyone in particular) should prefer reference as a goal. You should just understand that more people will offer suggestions on how to be more accurate than other kinds of suggestions.
Quote:

3. Any other rx-a?000 users out there using extra bass?

When I set mine up next week, I'm sure I'll try it, but based on my listening preferences, it's doubtful I'll choose to leave it that way.
Quote:

4. If so what AVR crossover, sub crossover and levels are you using?

80 hz in receiver, bypassed on sub and levels will depend on YPAO and/or SPL meter.
Quote:

5. Is it really evil?

No. Just inaccurate.

Quote:

My gear ....

rx-a1000 avr
mission mx 4 fronts (a UK brand) (44hz upward)
mision mc 2 center
mission dts surrounds
mission ms 10 sub

Also, I only watch movies and BTW this is my first post so take it easy on me

Welcome to the forum and enjoy.
post #7108 of 8843 Old 01-10-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arialis View Post

oops I changed something in the manager software and can't seem to figure it out.

I use to be able to turn the Yamaha with either my browser interface or the android app. Now it doesn't show online, until after I manual turn the Yamaha on. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I did.

I have the rx a2000.

Thank you in advance

Network standby : On I believe is what your looking for.
post #7109 of 8843 Old 01-10-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation View Post

No.
for your own setup, yes. However, preference does not equal reference and many here strive to attain accuracy in sound reproduction as much as possible. Doesn't mean you (or anyone in particular) should prefer reference as a goal. You should just understand that more people will offer suggestions on how to be more accurate than other kinds of suggestions.
When I set mine up next week, I'm sure I'll try it, but based on my listening preferences, it's doubtful I'll choose to leave it that way.
80 hz in receiver, bypassed on sub and levels will depend on YPAO and/or SPL meter.
No. Just inaccurate.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy.

Thanks for the quick replies guys. No doubt I'll keep tweaking.
post #7110 of 8843 Old 01-10-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durzil View Post

Network standby : On I believe is what your looking for.

Thanx Durzil
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page