post #7261 of 8903 Old 01-30-2012, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by bezlar View Post

I have separate amp for my whole house audio. So the delay is going through the zone2 out.

So did you try party mode? It outputs the same thing to all zones, whether you're using a seperate amp or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7262 of 8903 Old 01-30-2012, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Where can I find instructions on how to manually adjust the E.Q on a RX A3000 receiver. Not sure how to adjust band/gain , frequency/gain an Q. If anyone has this receiver and has done manual E.Q adjustments please help.
post #7263 of 8903 Old 01-30-2012, 06:09 PM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Ridge View Post

So did you try party mode? It outputs the same thing to all zones, whether you're using a seperate amp or not.

I will give it a try.

Thanks
post #7264 of 8903 Old 01-31-2012, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Anyone have handshake issues with a PS3 and an Aventage receiver?

My A1000 seems to have trouble locking on to the signal of my PS3 (first gen "fat" model). I have to be very specific in what I do to avoid issues (did not have this problem with my HDMI switchbox used with my old non-HDMI AVR). If I turn on the PS3 before the A1000 and select its input via SCENE button or AV1 button (that doesn't seem to matter) all is well. If I switch to another input and then back to the PS3, I lose the signal. If I eject a disc (BD or DVD) from the PS3 without pressing STOP on the PS3 remote, I lose the picture (screen goes blank).

I do have a long HDMI run to the AVR (the PS3 is in another room so it can double as a game unit on the kids' room TV via component and to avoid the fan noise). It is about 25 feet long. The run to the PJ is about 30 ft from one HDMI output and about 12 feet to the small monitor from the other output. Before this setup, two things were different. HDMI 4x2 matrix switchbox instead of AVR for HDMI switching, no audio via HDMI. Cables and displays all the same.

Could the fact I now send audio via HDMI be causing the problem? Could it be the switchbox is also a signal amplifier (its nearly 5 years old and I don't have the manual handy--I will look it up)? Could it be the AVR doesn't like sending a video signal via an HDMI to DVI converter on the monitor (the switchbox would not send the signal to the monitor's HDMI input)?

It's not a deal-breaker (as long as I remember the proper sequence, everything works) but it is annoying. I will, of course, keep experimenting. Just curious if anyone else was having such an issue.

More generally, after a few weeks of playing around with the A1000, I'm quite pleased with the sonic results (YPAO EQ on Flat improves my speakers' sound) and, once programmed, the SCENE buttons are nice. On the negative side, it is less intuitive to setup and program than I expected and there are a few functions that I think should be easily accessed on the remote with dedicated buttons (on/off for EQ would be nice, for one thing).

No regrets about my purchase but a few points off for being more complicated than necessary.
post #7265 of 8903 Old 01-31-2012, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation View Post

My A1000 seems to have trouble locking on to the signal of my PS3 (first gen "fat" model). I have to be very specific in what I do to avoid issues (did not have this problem with my HDMI switchbox used with my old non-HDMI AVR). If I turn on the PS3 before the A1000 and select its input via SCENE button or AV1 button (that doesn't seem to matter) all is well. If I switch to another input and then back to the PS3, I lose the signal. If I eject a disc (BD or DVD) from the PS3 without pressing STOP on the PS3 remote, I lose the picture (screen goes blank).

I do have a long HDMI run to the AVR (the PS3 is in another room so it can double as a game unit on the kids' room TV via component and to avoid the fan noise). It is about 25 feet long. The run to the PJ is about 30 ft from one HDMI output and about 12 feet to the small monitor from the other output. Before this setup, two things were different. HDMI 4x2 matrix switchbox instead of AVR for HDMI switching, no audio via HDMI. Cables and displays all the same.

Could the fact I now send audio via HDMI be causing the problem? Could it be the switchbox is also a signal amplifier (its nearly 5 years old and I don't have the manual handy--I will look it up)? Could it be the AVR doesn't like sending a video signal via an HDMI to DVI converter on the monitor (the switchbox would not send the signal to the monitor's HDMI input)?

It's not a deal-breaker (as long as I remember the proper sequence, everything works) but it is annoying. I will, of course, keep experimenting. Just curious if anyone else was having such an issue.

More generally, after a few weeks of playing around with the A1000, I'm quite pleased with the sonic results (YPAO EQ on Flat improves my speakers' sound) and, once programmed, the SCENE buttons are nice. On the negative side, it is less intuitive to setup and program than I expected and there are a few functions that I think should be easily accessed on the remote with dedicated buttons (on/off for EQ would be nice, for one thing).

No regrets about my purchase but a few points off for being more complicated than necessary.

I have 2 aventage receivers (a2000 & a3000). Each one has a ps3 hooked up to it and I'm not experiencing any problems at all. Fwiw the hdmi cables I'm using are only 6 ft long. I'm thinking your problems might have something to do with cable length. Hopefully someone else here can add a solution.

post #7266 of 8903 Old 01-31-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batt50 View Post

I have 2 aventage receivers (a2000 & a3000). Each one has a ps3 hooked up to it and I'm not experiencing any problems at all. Fwiw the hdmi cables I'm using are only 6 ft long. I'm thinking your problems might have something to do with cable length. Hopefully someone else here can add a solution.

I also wondered about cable length being the culprit. I also have a PS3 (slim) with no issues. (6' runs) Sending audio with the video requires more bandwidth. I would suggest getting a new high speed cable from monoprice the bigger gauged silver plated cable or whichever you can swing with lowest resistance would be best. Also try and get the shortest cable that will do the job. As far as HDMI to DVI issue I'm not sure. It shouldn't be an issue as DVI is just the video portion of the HDMI cable. Monoprice also has HDMI to DVI cables maybe that will help your other issue.
post #7267 of 8903 Old 01-31-2012, 11:49 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkabodpain View Post

Where can I find instructions on how to manually adjust the E.Q on a RX A3000 receiver. Not sure how to adjust band/gain , frequency/gain an Q. If anyone has this receiver and has done manual E.Q adjustments please help.

Not to toot my own horn, (but to not re-invent the wheel either) have a look at my review of the RX-A2000 at Secrets of HT & Hi-Fi. I went into a decent amount of detail on how the YPAO system works and what options for manual adjustment of the sound parameters there are. The YPAO system is virtually identical between the A2000 and A3000.

post #7268 of 8903 Old 01-31-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran View Post

Not to toot my own horn, (but to not re-invent the wheel either) have a look at my review of the RX-A2000 at Secrets of HT & Hi-Fi. I went into a decent amount of detail on how the YPAO system works and what options for manual adjustment of the sound parameters there are. The YPAO system is virtually identical between the A2000 and A3000.

Nice review. I agree totally with your comment: "This receiver is not high on the user-friendly scale." Especially for first time AVR users. I don't know what I would do without this forum.
post #7269 of 8903 Old 01-31-2012, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have an A1000 and I tried to look at the settings per band in the EQ but I could only access band #1 for each speaker (no sub EQ on the 1000, but my Antimode 8033 takes care of that) and could find no evident path to seeing the other bands. I don't really want to muck about with the settings (at least not for now) but I am curious as to what YPAO selected. I'm sure I'm overlooking something simple but if you could pass on a hint, I'd be grateful.

And I will also endorse your statement in your review about how this is not a user-friendly AVR. I've been setting up audio gear for myself and others for over 30 years and this AVR has been more frustrating, in terms of accessing features and adjusting them, than anything else I've tried. Great sound once done but, man, it could be a lot simpler.
post #7270 of 8903 Old 01-31-2012, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:

I have an A1000 and I tried to look at the settings per band in the EQ but I could only access band #1 for each speaker (no sub EQ on the 1000, but my Antimode 8033 takes care of that) and could find no evident path to seeing the other bands.

Use the Receiver Manager application (link) to read all your current settings, and it will let you see how all the EQ filters are set. Even better, if you use RM to save all your settings in a file, PEQedit can read the file and display the filters graphically.
post #7271 of 8903 Old 01-31-2012, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:

This looks like a fun troubleshoot, in that I think the solution is attainable and it will feel really good once it is finished. (and your final solution might help my future setup)
I see about 4 possible factors, and it might be multi-faceted, meaning if you fix 3, then the 4th resolves it, doesn't mean it was the 4th factor's fault. Only specific testing will narrow them out...obviously. PS3 owners unite!

Quote:

Right here I was going to ask if you are also outputting the PS3 through an additional cable because the Xbox 360 sure doesn't like to do it...

Quote:

Ahh, looky there. Suspect #1: multiple outputs like I guessed.
And Suspect #2: HDMI length with combined video/audio

Quote:

Suspect #3: HDMI to possible non-HDCP compliant DVI input

Suspect #4: Unknowns you haven't thought of.

A smarter guy with also more time might be able to tackle these in a better order, but I'm just going to start shooting.

Suspect #3: DVI input.
Let's eliminate the monitor for the time being. Pull the HDMI out of the 2nd HDMI out on the AVR. Wait, the A1000 does have that right? Do the monitor first (if logistically possible); using short cables, plug PS3 directly into it both HDMI and DVI on monitor. I suspect DVI will NOT work at all unless you bought a monitor whose DVI was also HDCP. HDCP 1, you 0. Equip lightsaber...kill monitor.
HDMI will work, no reason it shouldn't.

Suspect #4: Unknowns.
1) Uh, any HDMI-CEC on or anything like that with the projector or AVR? Might want to disable these for now.
2) Maybe try somewhere in this troubleshooting to remove PJ. Use monitor in HDMI1 out from AVR with no other outputting.
Actually, try this sequence: Does PS3 via 6ft-ish HDMI work to monitor hdmi input?
Yes? then does PS3 via 6ft HDMI to AVR to HDMI to monitor work?
Yes? then does PS3 via 25ft HDMI to AVR to HDMI to monitor work?

Suspect #1 Multiple outputs.
Was this setup working before AVR was in the mix? I know the Xbox 360 is different, but when a HDMI (to TV) and the component adapter (to stereo, whatever)are both plugged into the xbox, the xbox will actually restart anytime the TV input is changed to another input.
I really find it hard to think this could really be the issue, the PS3 is smarter than that, but it should still be ruled out.

Suspect #2: HDMI length
(Really refraining from spewing HDMI hatred here)
First time my cheapo HDMI cables didn't work right was last year doing 3D on PS3 for first time.
You did not specify your cable quality, so I'm not assuming you bought "low quality" for that length, but nor can I rule that out. I really hope your cable runs are in conduit and not just in-wall, specifically between floors or such.

25 and 30 feet are really long for HDMI. What you say, gigabit ethernet good for hundreds of feet...sigh. There are tiny trolls spawned by Hollywood conglomerate CEOs that live inside long HDMI cables right at the 20 foot mark.
Others can freely correct me here, but I think if the other suspects are ruled out, then this is your last stop. Equip lightsaber.

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
post #7272 of 8903 Old 02-01-2012, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Nobody has any thoughts on why my DirecTV's signal is left-shifted when the resolution is upscaled via the RX-A3000's HQ Vida scaler, but is perfectly centered when no scaling is done?

When a Priest says they're going to Flash you, it isn't for healing.

post #7273 of 8903 Old 02-01-2012, 01:20 PM

On the back of the A3000 - there is a Center Pre-out ?
But in the speaker configuration, how do one set the AMP for Center Pre-out?

does the A3000 always output to the pre-out rca jacks - so one can just
connect an amp to those pre-out ports ?
post #7274 of 8903 Old 02-01-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsc View Post

On the back of the A3000 - there is a Center Pre-out ?
But in the speaker configuration, how do one set the AMP for Center Pre-out?

does the A3000 always output to the pre-out rca jacks - so one can just
connect an amp to those pre-out ports ?

All the pre-outs are hot. You just can't select custom configurations so those amps are still assigned in the receiver. But since your not using that amp for the center that power will essentially help the channels you are using.
post #7275 of 8903 Old 02-01-2012, 05:05 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I have an A1000 and I tried to look at the settings per band in the EQ but I could only access band #1 for each speaker (no sub EQ on the 1000, but my Antimode 8033 takes care of that) and could find no evident path to seeing the other bands. I don't really want to muck about with the settings (at least not for now) but I am curious as to what YPAO selected. I'm sure I'm overlooking something simple but if you could pass on a hint, I'd be grateful.

I've never used an A1000, so I don't know how similar or not it is to the A2000. I know that the A3000 and A2000 are virtually identical though. Plus I'm not at home so can't try it out for you, and it's been so long since I messed with YPAO that I forget the details. But IIRC, it was fairly obvious on the A2000, so I'm guessing that the A1000 may not have as much freedom to tweak the YPAO settings.

I would take the suggestion to use Receiver Manager and PEQedit to visualize your filter settings. That would be best of all.

Good luck!

post #7276 of 8903 Old 02-01-2012, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have a question about analog video converting. I have the Monitor Out Assign set to Zone 2. All my sources to the RX-A3000 have composite connections in addition to HDMI or component connections. Monitor Out Assign is set for Zone 2.

In my Zone 2 setup, the two television connected via composite display all the video signals. I can see video from my Oppo Blu-Ray, cable box, Pioneer Laser Disc, etc.

However, in the one room in zone two where the connection is via component video only the source also connected by component video to the RX-A3000 has a picture. When switching to any zone 2 video input connected to the RX-A3000 only by composite the wallpaper is displayed instead. When choosing the HD Radio input for Zone 2 the station information is displayed so I know I'm getting signal.

Does conversion from composite to component take place when the Monitor Out assign is set to Zone 2? Or does the conversion only work when the Monitor Out assign is set to Main?

With more experimentation, setting output to Main I'm not sure if it's converting from Composite to Component at all. What am I doing wrong?
post #7277 of 8903 Old 02-01-2012, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've never used an A1000, so I don't know how similar or not it is to the A2000. I know that the A3000 and A2000 are virtually identical though. Plus I'm not at home so can't try it out for you, and it's been so long since I messed with YPAO that I forget the details. But IIRC, it was fairly obvious on the A2000, so I'm guessing that the A1000 may not have as much freedom to tweak the YPAO settings.

I would take the suggestion to use Receiver Manager and PEQedit to visualize your filter settings. That would be best of all.

Good luck!

Will do. Thanks.
post #7278 of 8903 Old 02-01-2012, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraweiss View Post

With more experimentation, setting output to Main I'm not sure if it's converting from Composite to Component at all. What am I doing wrong?

Do you have "Analog to Analog Conversion" (On Screen -> Setup -> Video) turned on?
post #7279 of 8903 Old 02-02-2012, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Yes.

Here's more information.

Analog to Analog Conversion is on. Confirmed with Receiver Manager.

When Monitor Out Assign is set to Main the problem exists. However, when I unplug the HDMI out from the back of the 3000 cable upconversion works fine to Main zone. The problem still exists when Monitor Out is set to Zone 2.

My work around: I plugged component cables from the Oppo and cable box to the RX-A3000. Now I get HDMI signals from Oppo and cable box in main zone and component in Zone 2.

This should all be mitigated when I get ambitious and finish wiring HDMI to the master bedroom. It's a procrastination thing as I don't want to climb the ladder in the garage and get into the attic to finish the wiring. Maybe if it's in the 50's again today...
post #7280 of 8903 Old 02-02-2012, 09:51 AM

I use xbmc (11b2) as front end. After moving to an RX-A1000 receiver , pausing music causes an annoying very short 'loop' (instead of silence), which continues until the song is restarted. This doesn't occur with video.

This 'loop' sound (it sounds like when an old record got stuck, but at a very high speed) sometimes also happens just listening to music, not in a consistent manner, and not very often.

I'm using hdmi from the xbmc box to the receiver, for both audio and video. Could this be a hdmi issue? Wondering because I was using an optical cable for audio with my old receiver.
post #7281 of 8903 Old 02-03-2012, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Solved my PS3 issue. Connected the long cable to the switch box I'd recently retired and then connected the box to the A1000 (had an extra 6 foot HDMI cable lying around).

Upside: no more a/v issues with PS3. Can leave it in the other room (as is my preference). Everything works now as it should. Box must also amplify the signal.

Downside: was hoping to sell my box for a bit of cash. A bit disappointing that the box is necessary at all. Lose 3-D capabilities (not a biggie really, but still annoying in principle).

Lesson learned: don't assume an AVR will cope with lengthy HDMI cable runs without additional gear.
post #7282 of 8903 Old 02-03-2012, 01:57 PM

HELP!!

I have a 5.1 setup w/ the Aventage A2000. I only want to use the front speakers (3.1) when listening to music.

Front left/right and center + sub.

Stereo 2.1 sounds great, I just really want my center to work w/ it as well.

How do I go about setting this up without having to manually unplug the speaker cables in the rear, or going into speaker setup menu and turning them off?

My front left/right speakers are Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grands, with a center VA Theatro.

My rear 2 speakers are crap Samsung left overs.

Also keep in mind I do not have the original Yamaha A2000 remote. Using a logitech harmony 700 remote. Does not work very well w/ the A2000 (I need more codes).

Thanks!
post #7283 of 8903 Old 02-03-2012, 04:51 PM

I have a Sony DVD/SACD player hooked up to my A2000 and can listen to mulit-channels SACD but would also like to view the component video output. The video is assigned to AV3 and cannot find a method to select the multi channel audio. How do I set this up?
post #7284 of 8903 Old 02-03-2012, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungho2o8 View Post

How do I go about setting this up without having to manually unplug the speaker cables in the rear, or going into speaker setup menu and turning them off?
Also keep in mind I do not have the original Yamaha A2000 remote. Using a logitech harmony 700 remote. Does not work very well w/ the A2000 (I need more codes).

You can save two sets of speaker configurations and choose between the two using scenes, but I have no idea if your remote supports the scene buttons of the original remote.
post #7285 of 8903 Old 02-03-2012, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspectorZ View Post

I have a Sony DVD/SACD player hooked up to my A2000 and can listen to mulit-channels SACD but would also like to view the component video output. The video is assigned to AV3 and cannot find a method to select the multi channel audio. How do I set this up?

On Screen -> Input -> MULTI CH -> [UP] -> Video Out.
post #7286 of 8903 Old 02-03-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:

You can save two sets of speaker configurations and choose between the two using scenes, but I have no idea if your remote supports the scene buttons of the original remote.

My remote has the scene buttons and almost all basic functions for the A2000.

I'm new to high end receiver, I've been using a crap samsung HTIB before the AVENTAGE.

So the SCENE function allows me to create a custom input. Can I choose which HDMI/optical inputs to use as well as custom speaker configurations?

This is my setup. I use a laptop w/ an hdmi output directly to the receiver only for video. I use a minitoslink adapter to the receiver for digital sound.
I watch digital cable using my hdhomerun prime, 5.1 dolby digital for most HD broadcasts.

Now on the same laptop I want to listen to music through iTunes. I don't want to use my rear speakers when listening to music. How do I program a SCENE function to disable the rear speakers while still maintaining at least the optical in.
I basically need a button to disable the rear 2 speakers.

TV viewing standard (5.1)
When listening to Music (3.1)

Thanks!
post #7287 of 8903 Old 02-03-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:

On Screen -> Input -> MULTI CH -> [UP] -> Video Out.

That was too easy. I was trying to make AV3 use Multi Ch audio. I also tried Multi Ch + Options and I think everything else except what you said.
Thanks
post #7288 of 8903 Old 02-03-2012, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:

Solved my PS3 issue. Connected the long cable to the switch box I'd recently retired and then connected the box to the A1000 (had an extra 6 foot HDMI cable lying around)...

...Lesson learned: don't assume an AVR will cope with lengthy HDMI cable runs without additional gear.

I really thought it would come down to the cable somehow.
Too bad about selling the switch box; that is an easier fix than buying and installing a new cable (or possibly 2).

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
post #7289 of 8903 Old 02-03-2012, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8 View Post

I really thought it would come down to the cable somehow.
Too bad about selling the switch box; that is an easier fix than buying and installing a new cable (or possibly 2).

I've run into a new problem (but I don't know that it is specific to Yamaha). It seems that most of my HDMI cables are "heavy" at the connector end and don't sit snugly in the HDMI inputs on the A1000 (I've had this problem with my PS3 and my PJ, so I can't solely blame Yamaha--the designers of the HDMI connectors deserve their own special little corner of hell). The HDMI inputs are very sensitive to any disturbance of the cables--in one case, it causes my Cambridge Audio DVD99 SACD/DVD-A player to put out video with no sound or, less often, the reverse. It could also explain the PS3 issue, in the end (maybe I don't actually need the box--just a more secure connection at the input). I've ordered one set of these locking mechanisms to test them out. If they work, I'll get more.

Why is it, again, the connecter could not be more like a CAT5/6 connector or even the iPod/iPhone/iPad input connector?

And to think I got an HDMI equipped AVR for greater convenience and fewer hassles.

Love the sound--so far hating the HDMI foibles.
post #7290 of 8903 Old 02-04-2012, 04:07 PM

I have the RX-A1000 connected to a PN59D8000. At first the volume bar showed up on the tv when I changed it, either with the remote or on the receiver. Since then, I've gotten new HDMI cables, as well as a different PN59D8000 (bubble in the true black film), and may have changed some settings on both the TV and the receiver.

The problem now is the volume bar shows up, but it is just completely black. It doesn't have any of the information in grey about the volume anymore (db level, tick marks etc). If there has to be an annoying volume bar show up on tv, the least it could do is actually present some information. Tried the old HDMI cable, didn't seem to make a difference. I'm at a loss in trying to debug now. Anyone have an idea on how to fix it?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors