Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagecounsel View Post

Bit streaming on ps3 slim The Dark Knight Bluray to yamaha a3000 firmware 4.0

Hit info to show decoder and shows Dolby Digital NOT TrueHD

Hit select on the ps3 to get the pop up menu and shows multi channel

Was watching Stones BluRay and display showed DTSHD 5.1

What gives?

Hi sagecounsel, the Dark Knight Blu Ray disc defaults to the standard Dolby Digital track. You will need to manually select the TrueHD soundtrack under audio setting in the disc menu.
post #7293 of 8907 Old 02-04-2012, 10:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmacwill View Post

I have the RX-A1000 connected to a PN59D8000. At first the volume bar showed up on the tv when I changed it, either with the remote or on the receiver. Since then, I've gotten new HDMI cables, as well as a different PN59D8000 (bubble in the true black film), and may have changed some settings on both the TV and the receiver.

The problem now is the volume bar shows up, but it is just completely black. It doesn't have any of the information in grey about the volume anymore (db level, tick marks etc). If there has to be an annoying volume bar show up on tv, the least it could do is actually present some information. Tried the old HDMI cable, didn't seem to make a difference. I'm at a loss in trying to debug now. Anyone have an idea on how to fix it?

I had exactly the same problem and I have no idea what caused it because I didn't change anything. What I did do was download and update the firmware and that did fix it. I didn't do that update trying to fix it but I was pleasantly surprised when it worked again.

Instructions for updating the firmware are in the manual.

Good luck!

PS latest version is 3.20 (Australia).
post #7294 of 8907 Old 02-04-2012, 10:27 PM

I currently have a Yamaha RX-V2500 which has served me well for nearly the past 10 years. No problems whatsoever and it's still going as strong as ever. But, I have run out of HDMI inputs on my TV and instead of buying a simple $30 HDMI switcher, I figured I might as well go ahead and upgrade. The added bonus of TrueHD decoding is definitely a plus, as well!

Unfortunately the upgrade bug didn't bite until just recently so I missed all of the killer deals that had the A2000 for <$700 and the A3000 for <$900 around September-November of last year. Looking around at places on the internet now it seems most are still selling both for $1000+.

Here's where my questions come in...
I can get an A2000 from an authorized dealer for about $800 but it's a "B-Stock" item marked as such directly from Yamaha. The only thing is, Yamaha's definition of "B-Stock" is the following:
"Yamaha will occasionally sell B-Stock items which may have been opened and used for demonstration purposes, photo shoots, refurbished, etc. and may have minor (if any) cosmetic damage. They will have a sticker over the serial number and on the outside packaging stating B-Stock. B-Stock units have HALF the normal Yamaha manufactures warranty as long as they are purchased from an Authorized Yamaha Dealer."

...it's such a broad range of reasons that an item could be listed as B-Stock and there's absolutely no way of knowing what reason it is prior to purchase. Or is there? I could live with the reason being that it was simply overstock from a discontinued model (which isn't listed as a reason by Yamaha but is often a reason from other companies), but I could not live with the reason being because it's scratched or damaged in any way.

My main question here is, has anyone had any dealings with Yamaha B-Stock products?
If so, what quality are they usually received in? How good is their refurbishing quality if it is in fact refurbished...how would you even know?

I'd also like to hear someone's opinion as to whether it would be worth it to just pay an additional $200-$250 for a guaranteed new one.
post #7295 of 8907 Old 02-05-2012, 02:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Whoa when the 4.0 come out for the A3000? I'm gonna have to look at that one...perhaps I'll get lucky and it fixes the HQ Vida left-shift when upscaling issue.

Edit: Bah...I'm only showing 3.20 on the U.S. site. Boohiss?

When a Priest says they're going to Flash you, it isn't for healing.

post #7296 of 8907 Old 02-05-2012, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barri View Post

I had exactly the same problem and I have no idea what caused it because I didn't change anything. What I did do was download and update the firmware and that did fix it. I didn't do that update trying to fix it but I was pleasantly surprised when it worked again.

Instructions for updating the firmware are in the manual.

Good luck!

PS latest version is 3.20 (Australia).

Thanks! I had already updated to 3.20, but I went through the firmware update again and now its fixed!
post #7297 of 8907 Old 02-05-2012, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I checked the Website and also found firmware version 3.20. Where has everyone heard about 4.0?
post #7298 of 8907 Old 02-05-2012, 08:35 AM

No comments about Yamaha B-Stock inventory?

I'm thinking I may just go ahead and take the plunge. Looking at the reviews of other people who bought B-Stock from this particular supplier suggests that most received new or items so LIKE new it was hard to tell otherwise. I'd like to have guaranteed new, but at $250 less, I don't think I can really complain.

Is the only difference between the RX-A2000 and RX-A3000 that the 3000 has 10 extra wpc and an extra zone? I'd never use the extra zone and the extra 10 watts is negligible...or is it?
post #7299 of 8907 Old 02-05-2012, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by iraweiss View Post

I checked the Website and also found firmware version 3.20. Where has everyone heard about 4.0?

3.20 is still in the pipeline via a forced network update for me...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: editor@VARTV.com
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

post #7300 of 8907 Old 02-05-2012, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteve82 View Post

I'm thinking I may just go ahead and take the plunge. Looking at the reviews of other people who bought B-Stock from this particular supplier suggests that most received new or items so LIKE new it was hard to tell otherwise. I'd like to have guaranteed new, but at $250 less, I don't think I can really complain.

Is the only difference between the RX-A2000 and RX-A3000 that the 3000 has 10 extra wpc and an extra zone? I'd never use the extra zone and the extra 10 watts is negligible...or is it?

The A3000 also has fully configurable HQ Vida settings. But those settings aren't much use if you don't watch a lot of SD content or have an already clean STB signal. The A3000 does bump up to 11.2 via pre-outs though, assuming you'd ever even use that many speakers at the same time.

post #7301 of 8907 Old 02-05-2012, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungho2o8 View Post

So the SCENE function allows me to create a custom input. Can I choose which HDMI/optical inputs to use as well as custom speaker configurations?

Scenes are pretty configurable, you can have them store a number of different settings like inputs and speaker configuration. How to best setup it for you depends on a lot on your preferences and activities, so I can't tell you exactly what to do. Storing two different speaker configurations (On Screen -> Setup -> Speaker -> Manual Setup -> Setting Pattern) should be straight forward.

Configuring Scenes (On Screen -> Scene -> Scene 1,2,3,4,... -> [Up]) is the part you going to need to figure out yourself. Basically you set all the settings you want to save the way you want them, use the Details menu of the Scene to select which types of settings you want the Scene to use (don't forget to select "Speaker Setup") and then use Save to save it. You can have it so you have two Scene buttons that do nothing other than switch between the two speaker configurations, or have a bunch of them setup, one for 3.1 music listening on a given source, and the rest for 5.1 movie watching each with their own source.
post #7302 of 8907 Old 02-05-2012, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteve82 View Post

That's a tough call. Do you get to see it and turn it on. My work got a B-stock Yammie AVR for the conference room. It looked perfect to me...until a power surge took it out with the projector
It will have a 1.5 year warranty which seems decent.

Frankly, wisdom says to get the HDMI switch and wait another 9 months for crazy good deals, although I can really imagine the previous Aventage series hitting some sales in early summer or even sooner.

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
post #7303 of 8907 Old 02-05-2012, 01:25 PM

I notice that when I turn off the A3000, the front USB 5v is still supplying voltage. Is there a configuration somewhere on the A3000 to tell it to completely turn off ?
post #7304 of 8907 Old 02-05-2012, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsc View Post

I notice that when I turn off the A3000, the front USB 5v is still supplying voltage. Is there a configuration somewhere on the A3000 to tell it to completely turn off ?

Nope.

Makes a great cell phone charging station this way though. Also, keep in mind that although the +5v is "hot", it will not continually consume its rated current unless something is drawing that current.

post #7305 of 8907 Old 02-05-2012, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Ridge View Post

Scenes are pretty configurable, you can have them store a number of different settings like inputs and speaker configuration. How to best setup it for you depends on a lot on your preferences and activities, so I can't tell you exactly what to do. Storing two different speaker configurations (On Screen -> Setup -> Speaker -> Manual Setup -> Setting Pattern) should be straight forward.

Configuring Scenes (On Screen -> Scene -> Scene 1,2,3,4,... -> [Up]) is the part you going to need to figure out yourself. Basically you set all the settings you want to save the way you want them, use the Details menu of the Scene to select which types of settings you want the Scene to use (don't forget to select "Speaker Setup") and then use Save to save it. You can have it so you have two Scene buttons that do nothing other than switch between the two speaker configurations, or have a bunch of them setup, one for 3.1 music listening on a given source, and the rest for 5.1 movie watching each with their own source.

My only gripe with the Scenes is that Scene 5-12 you have to have a TV/monitor turned on in order to use - you can't use the remote's Scene buttons to select the last eight available Scenes. Which is rather annoying as I tend to use 5-6 for turning the HQ Vida scaler on/off for SD content (1-4 are AutoMotionPlus On/Off [Lip Sync changes only] and Speakers Small/Large).

And I'm still trying to figure out why my A3000 is shifting the picture about 20 pixels to the left when the scaler is active for SD content from my DirecTV box, but not from my PS3. The SD content from the DTV box plays perfectly centered with the scaler off. At least I got my grandparents to FINALLY get a DVR in the living room. Now I will almost never have to record from a VCR again as the DVR replaces my VCR and adds a second potential recorder at the same time in one room.

post #7306 of 8907 Old 02-05-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy Tia View Post

My only gripe with the Scenes is that Scene 5-12 you have to have a TV/monitor turned on in order to use -

No you don't.. I do it all the time with the WebGui on my Netbook..

But I agree..really need those scenes available via the remote. I just looked for that on my iTouch with the new AV Controller App...
it only does scene 1 thru 4 under demo mode..but does all 12 when connected to the receiver.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #7307 of 8907 Old 02-05-2012, 04:26 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I think sagecounsel meant firmware 4.0 for PS3
post #7308 of 8907 Old 02-05-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8 View Post

That's a tough call. Do you get to see it and turn it on. My work got a B-stock Yammie AVR for the conference room. It looked perfect to me...until a power surge took it out with the projector
It will have a 1.5 year warranty which seems decent.

Frankly, wisdom says to get the HDMI switch and wait another 9 months for crazy good deals, although I can really imagine the previous Aventage series hitting some sales in early summer or even sooner.

I'm sure the power surge would've taken it out regardless of whether it was A-Stock or B-Stock. I'm assuming it worked fine before that?

As for waiting, I'm impatient!! LOL
I took the plunge and bought one from a respectable supplier who had it at a fairly decent price...$250 less than the other current lowest price and $500+ less than the current average going rate. Will it go down in price later in the year? Sure, undoubtedly it will...but I don't know whether it will go down THAT much less than what I got if for considering the lowest price listed to date was back in November of last year for $700. Considering it's a last year's model and is discontinued, I'd like to think there aren't many new models left and their supply will be even less leaving only the refurbished products available when that next big price cut does happen. This is what I keep telling myself, anyway!

Looking at the feedback from the supplier I'm sure I'm in good hands. And, like you said, there's still that manufacturer warranty as well as the 3 month warranty from the supplier's 100% satisfaction guarantee...hopefully I won't have to use either one. Further investigation of Yamaha's definition of "B-Stock" means that the product was never sold to a consumer and is directly from the manufacturer inventory...when they say "refurbished" as possibly being the reason, they mean that there was possibly a defect in the manufacturing process and required refurbishing and an immediate tag of "B-Stock".

I'm actually very excited and can't wait to get it! I should have it by the end of the week (hopefully) and already have a buyer lined up for my RX-V2500 which I was able to get even more for now than I would if I waited.

I was actually wanting the RX-A3000, but from everything I've read, the only difference is an extra Zone which I would never use and an extra 10wpc which is negligible to say the least...oh, and the $400-$500+ extra it would've cost me to buy it used.
post #7309 of 8907 Old 02-06-2012, 07:36 PM

I got the HDMI wiring completed from my theater to the master bedroom today from my RX-A3000 to the RX-A800. Unbelievably it worked through the HDMI out 2 jack the first time.

I set the HDMI Audio Output for the AMP, Out 1 and Out 2 to ON. I get audio through HDMI on the RX-A800 but it is PCM, not Dolby Digital. I can get Dolby Digital on the RX-A800 though the Zone 4 optical output.

Is there a way of outputting Dolby Digital (or DTS for that matter) though HDMI Out 2?
post #7310 of 8907 Old 02-06-2012, 07:40 PM

I propose using Jurassic Park Blue-Ray Disc 1 (chapter 6) for video processing. If you want to see bad conversion and lots of grain noise, this is it.
post #7311 of 8907 Old 02-07-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:

Is there a way of outputting Dolby Digital (or DTS for that matter) though HDMI Out 2?

I don't know if it's actually possible, but it's not going to work unless both HDMI outputs are connected to devices that are capable of receiving Dolby Digital over HDMI. I think you would also have to be using Dolby Digital over HDMI as your input source as well. The receiver will only pass through HDMI audio, it won't "upconvert" SPDIF to HDMI audio nor will it downconvert Dolby TrueHD to Dobly Digital.
post #7312 of 8907 Old 02-07-2012, 12:07 PM

Guys I have a question about warranty. I can get an RX A3000 for a reasonable price brand new sealed but not from a dealer. Will Yamaha entertain any warranty requests?

I don't want to spend a couple of hundred bucks only to be screwed if something were to ever go wrong. The serial # is still intact on the box.
post #7313 of 8907 Old 02-07-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by arshishb View Post

Guys I have a question about warranty. I can get an RX A3000 for a reasonable price brand new sealed but not from a dealer. Will Yamaha entertain any warranty requests?

I don't want to spend a couple of hundred bucks only to be screwed if something were to ever go wrong. The serial # is still intact on the box.

Bottom line is you'd have to ask Yamaha, and have the serial number when you do. The SN provides the pedigree of the unit and tells them if it's legit or not. There aren't many legit ways for a non-dealer to posses a legitimate A-stock Yamaha AVR.
post #7314 of 8907 Old 02-07-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Bottom line is you'd have to ask Yamaha, and have the serial number when you do. The SN provides the pedigree of the unit and tells them if it's legit or not. There aren't many legit ways for a non-dealer to posses a legitimate A-stock Yamaha AVR.

The guy claims he bought it off a liquidator. His bottom line price is $900.
post #7315 of 8907 Old 02-07-2012, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arshishb View Post

The guy claims he bought it off a liquidator. His bottom line price is $900.

You're going to find that the warranty will not be honored. Yamaha, like most other AVR manufacturers, will only honor the warranty if purchased from an "authorized dealer". That means this guy will get you a low price, but aside from web tech support, don't expect to get physical warranty service/replacement.

post #7316 of 8907 Old 02-08-2012, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy Tia View Post

You're going to find that the warranty will not be honored. Yamaha, like most other AVR manufacturers, will only honor the warranty if purchased from an "authorized dealer". That means this guy will get you a low price, but aside from web tech support, don't expect to get physical warranty service/replacement.

Thought as much, I will pass.
post #7317 of 8907 Old 02-08-2012, 06:24 AM

Check Amazon
post #7318 of 8907 Old 02-09-2012, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Just bought one of these on the weekend and I'm now calibrating with tRoom EQ Wizard and the built in parametric EQ.

Does anyone know of a good way to input sound specifically to one speaker (other than the front L/R)? For example the center channel. I was thinking I would use 9ch Stereo and turn off all channels but the one of interest but there is no way to turn off the front L/R in this mode.

Thanks!
post #7319 of 8907 Old 02-09-2012, 02:26 PM

you could do an internet search for multi-channel test files and see if you come up with anything that will allow you to play tones or other audio through one channel at a time. Just a thought. Haven't tried it myself so I don't know what you might find.
post #7320 of 8907 Old 02-09-2012, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
I'm hoping to be able to use Room EQ Wizard built in tone generator (which generates on one channel) and be able to steer that somehow to each channel using the receiver.

The problem is that the multi ch inputs do not use the parametric eq so I cant use those....
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page