Later Lenbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7382 of 8872 Old 02-16-2012, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got a great deal on an RX-A2000 just after Christmas and am really happy with it, even though there are a number of eccentricities that are annoying.

One that is bugging me at the moment is that when you use it to play music from your computer, the images/pictures of the CD covers look really crappy, I assume because the onscreen display is in 480p. They look fine in iTunes, the ATV, or XBMC, all of which are displaying at higher resolutions. Is there a way to change the osd to at least 720p?

Sorry if this has been answered, but I couldn't think of a search term that didn't produce lots of hits.

BTW, I know you can get Yamaha to mail the not very helpful manual, but who thought it was a good idea to put it on a CD? I copied it to my iPad, but even so, this is not as convenient as a printed copy.

Thanks
post #7383 of 8872 Old 02-17-2012, 03:00 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike457 View Post

who thought it was a good idea to put it on a CD?

Maybe the guy who has been pressed to cut costs in supplies, or the guy who has been pressed to make the brand look more environmental-friendly.

If you allow me to say, I don't really mind about the lack of a paper manual. I've been using PDF manuals for quite a few years now, and some of the paper manuals just never leave the plastic bag they came in (e.g., I'm selling my 10-yr-old RX-V620 with the intact original manual with the original plastic bag with the original yellow tape on it... I only used the connection guide). Finding things in a PDF is much easier for me than browsing pages in the paper version.

Having that said, I do understand some people just prefer paper.

VMat
LL

VMat
post #7384 of 8872 Old 02-17-2012, 03:22 AM

Liked: 11
Originally Posted by mike457
who thought it was a good idea to put it on a CD?

I haven't used the CD much. I find search on a PDF file a big benefit and the iPad is much easier to hold than the manual that came with my older Yamaha RX-V659.
post #7385 of 8872 Old 02-17-2012, 04:24 AM

I have the Manuals installed on my desktop and laptop. The laptop is where the RX-A800 is so I can look up next to the TV. The RX-A3000 is in the family room and I can use the PDF on my desktop or use the paper manual in that room.
post #7386 of 8872 Old 02-17-2012, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike457 View Post

One that is bugging me at the moment is that when you use it to play music from your computer, the images/pictures of the CD covers look really crappy... They look fine in iTunes, the ATV, or XBMC,

I'm a bit disappointed in the poor implementation of the Pandora OSD interface..especially after seeing how slick and polished it is on wifey's Kindle Fire.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #7387 of 8872 Old 02-17-2012, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

I'm a bit disappointed in the poor implementation of the Pandora OSD interface..especially after seeing how slick and polished it is on wifey's Kindle Fire.

Re-do the whole thing...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: editor@VARTV.com
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

post #7388 of 8872 Old 02-18-2012, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just noticed (by watching the indicator lights on the front of my rxa-3000) that it isn't using my rear surround speakers under any situation, except for when I choose "7 channel stereo".

Isn't there any surround mode that will mix the "5.1" surrounds into the sides and the rears?

In this case, I was watching a DTS (5.1) encoded movie...

Thanks.
-Kevin
post #7389 of 8872 Old 02-18-2012, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
DTS is 5.1 only
post #7390 of 8872 Old 02-18-2012, 09:43 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinG View Post

I just noticed (by watching the indicator lights on the front of my rxa-3000) that it isn't using my rear surround speakers under any situation, except for when I choose "7 channel stereo".

Isn't there any surround mode that will mix the "5.1" surrounds into the sides and the rears?

In this case, I was watching a DTS (5.1) encoded movie...

Thanks.
-Kevin

Under options on the remote pick extended surround and then pick movie or music as needed
post #7391 of 8872 Old 02-18-2012, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfrench View Post

Under options on the remote pick extended surround and then pick movie or music as needed

Worked. Thanks!
post #7392 of 8872 Old 02-18-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenbo View Post

How do you delete a recall preset in net radio ? Thanks

Bump

Later Lenbo
post #7393 of 8872 Old 02-19-2012, 01:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSmitty View Post

Thanks Squishy,
Re-reading your first sentence referencing "LFE input" it has donned on me that you were referring to the actual connection/dedicated LFE input source. I had initially taken it as a statement saying your sub relies on the AVR crossover to receive dedicated LFE input in general etc. Yes, we were saying the same thing.

Cheers

No worries.

It's a pain to set subs up nowadays, but doing it right (and running the room EQ that many subs have built into them now) really does make the sub sound a lot better. Some like boomy bass. I like it tight and accurate. Boomy obscures the fine details in songs (one reason I hate how 99% of people calibrate their car subs - you can't even hear the songs!).

When a Priest says they're going to Flash you, it isn't for healing.

post #7394 of 8872 Old 02-19-2012, 12:10 PM
EdL

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Finally connected my A2000 basement theater room to my main floor rx863 via the zone 3 pre-out for the whole house audio effect. iTunes is connected to the A2000 via analog cables from my office pc. I control everything via iPad apps (remote iTunes & Yamaha controller). :-)
post #7395 of 8872 Old 02-19-2012, 03:56 PM

Liked: 24
In the year or so I've had the receiver, I never really played much with the DSP modes. I usually kept it in the MOVIE STANDARD mode... I have front presence speakers, and never realized that I wasn't getting any output from them lol..

It turns out that the MOVIE STANDARD mode doesn't send anything to the front presence speakers! DOH!

So, I've started playing around with using MOVIE SPECTACLE and MUSIC VIDEO DSP modes for movies/tv and music respectively, and it's like getting a receiver upgrade, it just sounds so much fuller/better.

What's your favorite DSP modes for which types of content?
post #7396 of 8872 Old 02-19-2012, 04:06 PM

Also does anyone use the virtual 3d DSP if they don't have presence speakers and the "enhanced" mode?
post #7397 of 8872 Old 02-19-2012, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I've had my A1000 for about a month and so far, Movie Standard seems ok for movies and TV. For music it's either Straight (for MCH SACD/DVD-A and concert videos) or DPLII Music (tweaked to my liking) for 2 channel material. I've briefly tried the others, but nothing stands out so far. Hall Munich is alright for chamber music as background when I'm grading papers but I prefer Straight or DPLII Music when I'm focused on the music itself.

I have no front presence speakers, so that likely diminishes the effectiveness of the other modes. I don't really have space for them, at least not now. May try some later if my space changes.
post #7398 of 8872 Old 02-19-2012, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Ovation,
Did Yamaha fix the sub EQ below 60hz with the new ones.

post #7399 of 8872 Old 02-19-2012, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post

Ovation,
Did Yamaha fix the sub EQ below 60hz with the new ones.

Only the A20x0/30x0 models EQ the sub at all--there is some EQ applied below 60hz, though I'm not sure of the specifics. I use an Antimode 8033 for my sub EQ needs.
post #7400 of 8872 Old 02-19-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation View Post

Only the A20x0/30x0 models EQ the sub at all--there is some EQ applied below 60hz, though I'm not sure of the specifics. I use an Antimode 8033 for my sub EQ needs.

The 2000/3000 do indeed EQ the sub to below 60hz.. the problem with the way it's implemented is that it uses a fairly coarse parametric EQ with center frequencies that may not match your particular room modes.

For example, in my case the RXA3000 only applies a -0.5 adjustment to the 49.6hz band with a Q of 0.5 .. because, well that's all the resolution it can use. If it tried to do more, with the coarseness of the PEQ it would make things worse, not better.. so it doesn't try.

Measuring with REW, I can tell I would benefit from other filters, but those center frequencies aren't available in the PEQ.. I could try and compromise since there re 4 PEQ bands, but that's tough to do and likely to make things worse, not better.

As a result, I've also ordered an Antimode 8033 since it will have the necessary resolution to address my particular situation.
post #7401 of 8872 Old 02-19-2012, 08:45 PM

My a3000 has worked great for about a month now but my sub pre amp outs stopped working. There is no signal going to my sub any more, I tried hooking the sub to both outs and I get nothing. I tested the sub on the old receiver and it worked fine.

I tried adjusting the sub level in the speaker options but that didn't help.

Any thoughts to what is going on?
post #7402 of 8872 Old 02-19-2012, 11:00 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanhoek View Post

In the year or so I've had the receiver, I never really played much with the DSP modes. I usually kept it in the MOVIE STANDARD mode... I have front presence speakers, and never realized that I wasn't getting any output from them lol..

It turns out that the MOVIE STANDARD mode doesn't send anything to the front presence speakers! DOH!

So, I've started playing around with using MOVIE SPECTACLE and MUSIC VIDEO DSP modes for movies/tv and music respectively, and it's like getting a receiver upgrade, it just sounds so much fuller/better.

It does on my RX-A3000. It is easy to see what speakers are active by looking at the front panel of the receiver. Standard is my most used mode. I have front presence speakers and they do make the sound stage more full.
post #7403 of 8872 Old 02-19-2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDKing2 View Post

It does on my RX-A3000. It is easy to see what speakers are active by looking at the front panel of the receiver. Standard is my most used mode. I have front presence speakers and they do make the sound stage more full.

Yeah, that's why I was fooled for so long.. I could see the receiver display showing the PL PR channels as output. HOWEVER, when the amp I use for the presence speakers was set to auto, it wouldn't "wake up" , and I ended up setting it to "always on".

On MOVIE STANDARD, I just don't hear anything from the PL/PR channels.. maybe the effect is much more subtle on that setting? I'm not sure.. I just know that some of the other DSP modes are very noticeably using PL/PR, when compared to MOVIE STANDARD.
post #7404 of 8872 Old 02-19-2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x1lightning View Post

My a3000 has worked great for about a month now but my sub pre amp outs stopped working. There is no signal going to my sub any more, I tried hooking the sub to both outs and I get nothing. I tested the sub on the old receiver and it worked fine.

Have you re-ran YPAO recently? If the sub is set to "auto", it takes a while sometimes to wake up.. YPAO sends signals to each channel to detect which speakers you are running, and if the sub doesn't wake up quickly, then YPAO sets up with sub as NONE..

You could try setting your sub to ON, instead of AUTO. You could also just run YPAO and exit as soon as you see the sub "wake up", then run it again.

Just a thought..
post #7405 of 8872 Old 02-20-2012, 01:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x1lightning View Post

You haven't accidentally set your speakers to Large or invoked Pure Direct mode have you? I'm thinking less likely the latter, more likely the former since PD resets to off each time you turn the AVR on/off.

When a Priest says they're going to Flash you, it isn't for healing.

post #7406 of 8872 Old 02-20-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy Tia View Post

You haven't accidentally set your speakers to Large or invoked Pure Direct mode have you? I'm thinking less likely the latter, more likely the former since PD resets to off each time you turn the AVR on/off.

i had checked that and my speakers were set to large, so i set them to small, that didn't help.

also i don't use the pure direct mode

Quote:

Have you re-ran YPAO recently? If the sub is set to "auto", it takes a while sometimes to wake up.. YPAO sends signals to each channel to detect which speakers you are running, and if the sub doesn't wake up quickly, then YPAO sets up with sub as NONE..

You could try setting your sub to ON, instead of AUTO. You could also just run YPAO and exit as soon as you see the sub "wake up", then run it again.

Just a thought..

The sub is set to auto, but its always kicked on pretty fast, when i get home tonight i will try to have it set to on, and run the Ypao mic again

when i set it all up, i thought i recall the sub firing during the ypao but i cant say for sure

if the ypao thought there was no sub, would the sub show as on in the speaker configuration?
post #7407 of 8872 Old 02-20-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

I use sci-fi dsp for most of my movies. I do have a 9.2 setup though. Straight for sacd/DVD-A playback
post #7408 of 8872 Old 02-20-2012, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdL View Post

Finally connected my A2000 basement theater room to my main floor rx863 via the zone 3 pre-out for the whole house audio effect. iTunes is connected to the A2000 via analog cables from my office pc. I control everything via iPad apps (remote iTunes & Yamaha controller). :-)

I use the iPad app as well as the Yamaha web controller for my 2010. It's a beautiful thing. Can't wait to hook up my 3rd zone in the yard and have control from outside!
post #7409 of 8872 Old 02-20-2012, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

So many settings and functions it is hard to choose a favorite. Today I using pure direct and my paradigm monitor 9's sound amazing. A month ago it was all about 9 channel stereo. This is like Christmas once a month. I'm all in!!!!!
post #7410 of 8872 Old 02-20-2012, 10:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
RX-A1000 connected in a 5.1 setup, with a PS3 slim set to bitstream as my blu-ray source. I can't get DTS-HD to display on the receiver's display. I have checked the DTS-HD option in the movies I tried, but no dice. Am I missing something?

Secondly, YPAO set my Emotiva 6.2/6.3 fronts to small, 80hz XO, and it detected my sub. With my last 2 receivers (Pioneer vsx-1121 and Onkyo 809), the sub was MUCH fuller. YPAO set my sub to -2.0db with the sub's dial set to ~40%. Sub is in the exact same position it was with my previous 2 receivers.

Thirdly, after reading through the last 60 or so pages of this thread, I haven't read of anyone having this issue. My surround speakers are very low. YPAO set them to +1.5db, but they are almost non existant during movies. They are Emotiva erd-1 dipoles. Still working on level matching the fronts and rears to 75db as I have in the past, but that part isn't as easy as my past receivers. The test tone is extremely low, unless I'm missing something.

****If anyone is wondering, the full 5. speakers in my setup are 4ohm Emotivas. After 5-6 straight hours of playing jazz and a few movies, the receiver never ran hot or went into protect mode. They are all 89db in sensitivity. So they aren't too inefficient as far as most 4ohm speakers are concerned.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page