Forum Jump: 

post #7441 of 8843 Old 02-22-2012, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinG View Post

I spent quite a bit of time with YPAO in the past few days on my 3000. My results were pretty bad.

Things it seemed to get wrong:
1) Sub level (my SVS PC13-Ultra needed about 4 db extra to sound reasonable, and I'm not talking about a null)
2) Level matching (After it did it's thing, I checked the levels with meter that came with my aperions...Some speakers were as far off as 5 db, not including the sub)
3) Speaker distance (actually, it did pretty fine here, except the sub was off a few feet)

Are these results typical?

Thanks.
-Kevin

I will start with, there are many others here with a lot more knowledge than I have regarding setup changes. IMO changing the set speaker distance is the last thing I mess with when using YPAO. The set subwoofer distance has to do with timing. The other speakers may apply as well. FWIU the distance setting can correct phase cancelations at the MLP. The point I am making is any settings that YPAO arrived at may (most likely does) have something to do with reflections, timing, phase, etc. The settings it decides are part of YPAO. Not really a problem to change settings to make it sound the way you want. I do change crossover frequencys and use the manual PEQ. Just changing settings without having any idea what the results will produce can be frustrating. Without measuring equipment I bet most people would be hard pressed to tell if some changes were made or not. The easy answer is if what you are doing makes it sound better to you then you are good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7442 of 8843 Old 02-22-2012, 08:15 PM

Liked: 10
gents forgive me if this is a dumb question but where do i find the web browser control for the rx-a3000? already have the android & ipad but would love to have it on the pc too. do i just ping the ip address of the receiver? thanks.
post #7443 of 8843 Old 02-22-2012, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommylicious View Post

gents forgive me if this is a dumb question but where do i find the web browser control for the rx-a3000? already have the android & ipad but would love to have it on the pc too. do i just ping the ip address of the receiver? thanks.

Just type the ip addy of your receiver into your web browser and it will connect. The android and iOS app has far greater functionality however.
post #7444 of 8843 Old 02-23-2012, 03:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slare View Post

I've had the 3000 for a few months now and never bothered downloading the Yamaha application... boy was that a big mistake.

The truly brainless wifi streaming of music from your portable device is very kickass, I greatly regret having not taken advantage of it earlier.

The app is probably way cool on an iPad. It's not too bad on my Motorola Bionic (Android)...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: editor@VARTV.com
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

post #7445 of 8843 Old 02-23-2012, 06:07 AM

I have the app on my ipad, and i it works good for the streaming, but i really wish i could do other things on the ipad while i am streaming the music, the second i switch apps the streaming stops, they really need to fix that, it would be nice to browse the web while the music is streaming,
post #7446 of 8843 Old 02-23-2012, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 13
After reading some posts on this thread, I finally convinced my 3000 to display "DTS HD MA" on it's front panel. In my case, it turned out to be a setting on my BluRay player that was wrong (it was set to down-convert to DTS 5.1). Hopefully this helps others who are struggling with the same issue.

But now I have a question. And it may be slightly off-topic for this thread, but hopefully someone here has a simple answer.

Now that I know what to expect the receiver to display when it is receiving the real DTS-MA bitstream, I've noticed that my htpc ISN'T sending that while playing a remuxed Blu-Ray rip that only contains the DTS-MA audio track...so it must be down-converting.

So, here's the question. What PC (Windows) media players will pass DTS-MA over HDMI? (So far, I've only tried VLC 2.0 - maybe a missed a setting? I'm off to go google this.)

Thanks.
-Kevin
post #7447 of 8843 Old 02-23-2012, 12:11 PM

I know you can control the ipod through the dock using the onscreen interface and Yamaha remote but can music playback be controlled using the ipod's controls through the dock in a case where you don't have on screen display access?

I'll kill a man in a fair fight. Or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight. Or if he bothers me. Or if there's a woman. Or if I'm gettin' paid. Mostly when I'm gettin' paid - Jayne
post #7448 of 8843 Old 02-23-2012, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot_HD View Post

I know you can control the ipod through the dock using the onscreen interface and Yamaha remote but can music playback be controlled using the ipod's controls through the dock in a case where you don't have on screen display access?

You're not going to be able to control playback when connected to the dock. The iPod screen is going to say "Accessory Connected."

Attachment 238153
LL
post #7449 of 8843 Old 02-23-2012, 02:21 PM

Thanks Captain.

My wife volunteered me to play DJ at my daughters grade school and was hoping to go ipod to 3000 only without having to bring a display or have to mess with music burned to CD's.

Guess I'm going the CD route.

I'll kill a man in a fair fight. Or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight. Or if he bothers me. Or if there's a woman. Or if I'm gettin' paid. Mostly when I'm gettin' paid - Jayne
post #7450 of 8843 Old 02-23-2012, 08:03 PM

Just got a 1010. When I run the test tones, the center speaker sounds very thin-- not a full rich white noise. Checked connections-- ok. Checked speaker itself - ok. Checked size --ok. What could be causing this? Some sound fields sound really bad, too.
post #7451 of 8843 Old 02-23-2012, 08:32 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by wangdang View Post

Just got a 1010. When I run the test tones, the center speaker sounds very thin-- not a full rich white noise. Checked connections-- ok. Checked speaker itself - ok. Checked size --ok. What could be causing this? Some sound fields sound really bad, too.

That sucks.. but have you tried moving the speaker? Try a few inches forward or backward. And if you have it enclosed in any cabinets or structure try to take it out of there.
post #7452 of 8843 Old 02-24-2012, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

After reading some posts on this thread, I finally convinced my 3000 to display "DTS HD MA" on it's front panel. In my case, it turned out to be a setting on my BluRay player that was wrong (it was set to down-convert to DTS 5.1). Hopefully this helps others who are struggling with the same issue.

But now I have a question. And it may be slightly off-topic for this thread, but hopefully someone here has a simple answer.

Now that I know what to expect the receiver to display when it is receiving the real DTS-MA bitstream, I've noticed that my htpc ISN'T sending that while playing a remuxed Blu-Ray rip that only contains the DTS-MA audio track...so it must be down-converting.

So, here's the question. What PC (Windows) media players will pass DTS-MA over HDMI? (So far, I've only tried VLC 2.0 - maybe a missed a setting? I'm off to go google this.)

Thanks.
-Kevin

Kevin,

There's a whole host of applications for the PC that will bitstream original audio source to your reciever. If you want a nice fancy GUI and media library solution that not only bitstreams original audio but plays all sorts of media like full BD ISO, BD Rips, DVD, MKV, etc., you should take a look at MediaPortal and use the LAV Filters with that. Even HD Audio like DTS-HD 7.1 will be bitstreamed to your reciever as is.

Here's a couple of screen shots of my MediaPortal setup ... I just randomly selected "Thor" because it has good DTS-HD 7.1 audio (And it's 3D).

In terms of stand-alone media players, ArcSoft's Total Media Theater will bitstream HD Audio; so will Media Player Classic (w/ correct codecs).

Good Luck!

7.1: Polk RTi12 Fronts, RTi8 Surrounds, Monitor70 Surround Backs, CSi A6 Center + Outlaw LFM-1 EX Subwoofer.
Yamaha RX-A2000 AVR
Epson 5010 3D Projector
Intel Sandy Bridge 3D HTPC / Blu-ray Player
post #7453 of 8843 Old 02-24-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey79 View Post

Kevin,

...you should take a look at MediaPortal and use the LAV Filters with that....

Thanks. I'll investigate some more along those lines. I'm familiar with xbmc (but I'm aware that it doesn't (yet) handle DTS-MA (without some tweaks). I used to run "meedio" as my front end in my previous house, but that was a while ago...

-Kevin
post #7454 of 8843 Old 02-24-2012, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. I'll investigate some more along those lines. I'm familiar with xbmc (but I'm aware that it doesn't (yet) handle DTS-MA (without some tweaks). I used to run "meedio" as my front end in my previous house, but that was a while ago...

-Kevin

I played with a few, but none matched the features, GUI and just basic overall entertainment satisfaction that I could get out of MediaPortal. Tons & tons of extensions out there for it - for just about anything you want it to do. Very heavily supported by a very large community.

Have Fun!

7.1: Polk RTi12 Fronts, RTi8 Surrounds, Monitor70 Surround Backs, CSi A6 Center + Outlaw LFM-1 EX Subwoofer.
Yamaha RX-A2000 AVR
Epson 5010 3D Projector
Intel Sandy Bridge 3D HTPC / Blu-ray Player
post #7455 of 8843 Old 02-25-2012, 11:26 AM

Gents I'm getting a Sirius IR error saying Not Connected on RX-A3000. Maybe this is because I logged into Sirius IR from another computer. How do I reset this? Right hand side menu options seem inactive. thank you
post #7456 of 8843 Old 02-25-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:

Gents I'm getting a Sirius IR error saying Not Connected on RX-A3000. Maybe this is because I logged into Sirius IR from another computer. How do I reset this? Right hand side menu options seem inactive. thank you

That Sirius error is for the satellite radio tuner, not the Internet streaming.. you should fire up the Net radio on the A3000 and go through there rather than the Sirius input.
post #7457 of 8843 Old 02-25-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanhoek View Post

That Sirius error is for the satellite radio tuner, not the Internet streaming.. you should fire up the Net radio on the A3000 and go through there rather than the Sirius input.

Nevermind.. out of curiosity I tried mine (hadn't used it in a while!), and I get the same error.. I called sirius and they are experiencing some "difficulties" which should be cleared up in the next 24-48 hours.

Bah.. and btw, dealing with sirius technical support is horrible.. they don't know anything. One of them told me to try and access http://www.sirius.com from my A/V receiver. Another said the service is only supported on the computer and iPhone.. Pathetic.
post #7458 of 8843 Old 02-25-2012, 02:51 PM

Thanks ivan!
post #7459 of 8843 Old 02-26-2012, 02:09 AM

Liked: 11
Does anyone know what these ports are used for ? I knew about 80(HTTP) and 50000(YNCA). Port 49154 has a web server but it does not accept any of the commands the port 80 web server does.
post #7460 of 8843 Old 02-26-2012, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by avs2099 View Post

Does anyone know what these ports are used for ? I knew about 80(HTTP) and 50000(YNCA). Port 49154 has a web server but it does not accept any of the commands the port 80 web server does.

[edit]Dynamic, private or ephemeral ports

"The range 49152-65535 - above the registered ports - contains dynamic or private ports that cannot be registered with IANA. This range is used for custom or temporary purposes and for automatic allocation of ephemeral ports."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...P_port_numbers

Love DIY
post #7461 of 8843 Old 02-26-2012, 07:05 AM

Doing a BluRay Lord of the Rings marathon coming up.
You can't layer a dsp over the dts MA-hd 6.1 codec correct?
And if you can, you shouldn't or
What would be recommended?

Also when should Compressed Music Enhancer be used if ever?
Thanks
post #7462 of 8843 Old 02-26-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:

I'm having the same issue on my RX867 - it has been 48 hours and still not working. Sucks and with Sirius being who it is I'm always worried it might never come back. Sirius Internet was one of the main reasons I selected this receiver.
post #7463 of 8843 Old 02-26-2012, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by avs2099 View Post

Port 49154 is probably used for UPnP requests. You can check by trying to download "/MediaRenderer/desc.xml" from the HTTP server there.

As KJSmitty said these ports aren't don't normally have a fixed puprose so what if anything they're being used for could change. UPnP has a discovery method for figuring out where to send requests.
post #7464 of 8843 Old 02-26-2012, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by one wolf View Post

I'm having the same issue on my RX867 - it has been 48 hours and still not working. Sucks and with Sirius being who it is I'm always worried it might never come back. Sirius Internet was one of the main reasons I selected this receiver.

I'm confused... Sirius IR is working for me. I don't have Sirius docked...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: editor@VARTV.com
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

post #7465 of 8843 Old 02-26-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VARTV View Post

I'm confused... Sirius IR is working for me. I don't have Sirius docked...

Well, that is troubling.
post #7466 of 8843 Old 02-27-2012, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi All:

How far up in the AVENTAGE line do you have to go to get EQ for the sub frequencies w/wo YAPO? Thanks Bob
post #7467 of 8843 Old 02-27-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey79 View Post

...you should take a look at MediaPortal and use the LAV Filters with that....

Just wanted to post a quick thank you for the pointer. MediaPortal and LAV installed quickly. Took some time to figure out that I needed to tell the LAV filters that I wanted to bitstream all of the formats, but after that, it just worked. Now I've got to go figure out what IR remote control to buy to turn my htpc rig into a real htpc rig. ;-)

-Kevin
post #7468 of 8843 Old 02-27-2012, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_m10 View Post

Hi All:

How far up in the AVENTAGE line do you have to go to get EQ for the sub frequencies w/wo YAPO? Thanks Bob

RX-A20x0/A30x0
post #7469 of 8843 Old 02-27-2012, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Scored an open box A2000 yesterday...

I have to stop trolling around Magnolia HT

they had one for $499...with just the power cord and YPAO mic

The guy said I could buy a harmony...but I found a yamaha factory remote ( actually for the newer A2010) for $75.00...so I bought that

I must be crazy..as I already have the A3000 in my master bedroom...I switched the A2000 out with a Pioneer elite Sc35 I bought a few months ago at another "deal"

I have to say they sound different..."maybe" the Pioneer sounds better..though the yamaha has functionality that the outshines the Pioneer in a huge way

My plan was to keep the one I liked better overall and sell the other

we'll see..lol

I have to stop looking....my collection just keeps building with "deals" and "must haves"

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Pioneer SC37 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009/906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #7470 of 8843 Old 02-27-2012, 09:01 AM

I've been enjoying my A2000 for about 4 months now and it's been working perfectly. I just recently moved into a new house and ever since the move the A2000 has been acting strangely. My set-up is DirecTV HD/HDR and Samsung BluRay player both connected to the A2000 via HDMI. The issue is present using both sources, and also while running test tones. I am getting no output from the front left speaker nor the sub. Also, sometimes as the HD receiver changes channels the "center channel" will move from the center speaker to the front right speakers. I have already done a hard reset to factory settings. I am at a complete loss here. What else should I be looking for? What am I missing? I personally moved the AV equipment in my own truck on the back seat, so I know nothing was mishandled. Any help?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page