Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 8869 Old 10-06-2010, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrohrer View Post

James hit the nail on the head. Just configure using the "Scene" functionality. 12 different combos available. See p.50 and p.103 of manual.

Exactly. I have a 667 mind you but I frequently will watch video from an HDMI source and listen to Pandora audio from another source. You just assign a different audio source for what video source you are watching. Maybe I'm missing something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 8869 Old 10-06-2010, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

So you have an HDMI input assigned to an input, and plugged some sort of source into that inputs analog jacks? And you are trying to select that audio via the audio select? Isn't there an audio select button the remote? Older models used to have that button, and you could cycle through HDMI, optical and analog.

Audio select is done thru the option menu now, which i couldn't get into because i had pure direct enabled. Rookie mistake.

I have it all setup and working now with the scene functions.
Scene 2 outputs HDMI 2 Video and HDMI 2 Audio for watching/listening to TV.
Scene 3 Outputs HDMI 2 Video and Analog Audio 2 for watching TV while listening to Music from my analog source.

So far i'm Happy with the unit. Its a Step up from my Harman Kardon AVR-435 thats for sure.
post #723 of 8869 Old 10-06-2010, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by unxpectederror View Post

Audio select is done thru the option menu now, which i couldn't get into because i had pure direct enabled. Rookie mistake.

I have it all setup and working now with the scene functions.
Scene 2 outputs HDMI 2 Video and HDMI 2 Audio for watching/listening to TV.
Scene 3 Outputs HDMI 2 Video and Analog Audio 2 for watching TV while listening to Music from my analog source.

So far i'm Happy with the unit. Its a Step up from my Harman Kardon AVR-435 thats for sure.

Seems fair, but more complicated that it used to be

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #724 of 8869 Old 10-06-2010, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Hmmm....no more amber-colored display for Yamaha?
post #725 of 8869 Old 10-06-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdryyz View Post

Hmmm....no more amber-colored display for Yamaha?

not in a few generations I don't think. Too bad, but I happily gave that up for the A2K. No regrets. If nothing else, it matches better w/ my other components.
post #726 of 8869 Old 10-06-2010, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Not a deal-breaker for me. I just prefer the amber color. That cyan color is dreadful on my eyes and too many of the my other components use that already.

I wonder why Yamaha made the change. Amber was their standard for many years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustamelon View Post

not in a few generations I don't think. Too bad, but I happily gave that up for the A2K. No regrets. If nothing else, it matches better w/ my other components.

post #727 of 8869 Old 10-06-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdryyz View Post

Not a deal-breaker for me. I just prefer the amber color. That cyan color is dreadful on my eyes and too many of the my other components use that already.

I wonder why Yamaha made the change. Amber was their standard for many years.

Will the scaler used in the A2000 make Xbox 360 games look better? 99% of the games are 720p standard. Will it do better than the 360 at scaling?

Also, that video chip does nothing to 1080p blu rays, correct? I don't see any use for those when it comes to blu ray discs.

Edit: Didn't mean to quote.
post #728 of 8869 Old 10-06-2010, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey Everyone,

Any comments on the gui or on screen menu? Im REALLY colse to pulling the trigger on an A1000/A2000 or 3311ci, but just curious on some of the little things. I thought I remembered reading something about them, but no screenshots to back anything up.

Is there a volume overlay on the screen as well when output over hdmi? I thought I remembered reading yes, but now that Im ready, I cant find it via search. Thanks!
post #729 of 8869 Old 10-06-2010, 02:06 PM

I made the decision this weekend to purchase the Yamaha RX-A3000. It was just delivered today! I've just unpackaged it. I probably will not get a chance to connect it until this weekend. I will connect it to a pair of Definitive Technology BP-30 and a powered subwoofer, until I purchase a pair of the Definitive Technology Mythos STS.
post #730 of 8869 Old 10-06-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy Tia View Post

Ugh. Don't make me laugh - it really hurts when I do because of the pressure against my splint.

My cousin will help me get my AVR, though it will now be several weeks before I get to enjoy it. So my shiny new AVR bought w/ my BDay money won't see use until two months after my BDay (last month).

Joy.

Yikes that must have really hurt! Hope your finger heals quickly. I have been sitting here waiting for you to get your a3000 and put it through the ringer. Can't wait to hear your comments. Put your cousin to work soon!!!!
post #731 of 8869 Old 10-06-2010, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadnbrkn84 View Post

I have the RX-V2065 before the A2000 and the A2000 sounds much better. Hands down. I first noticed it when I put on a record and the 2 channel just sounded so much richer then the 2065 did.

I'd love this if this where true, but I'm highly skeptical of these types of rants and I'll tell you why- Someone on here was raving about how much better their 3900 was over their 663 they replaced for 2 channel music so I went ahead and picked one up and it was identical in sound quality to the 663. And I'm not using HTIB speakers either, but speakers from B&W's high-end 800 series that should show any minute change in up stream components - their was none.

It gets better- once I confronted the person on here of my experience of the 663 vs the 3900 they went back and listened to the 3900 and then replied back that he/she admitted that the 3900 wasn't anything spectacular over the 663 for 2 channel music.

I might pick one up to hear for myself anyway, but I doubt I'm going to notice any difference at all for 2 channel music unless when using the YPAO it does a better job than the 663. BTW, I wasn't using the built in amps of the receiver. I was merely using the AVRs as a pre-amp out to an Emotiva XPA-5 (which I would also do with the A1000/A2000/A3000).
post #732 of 8869 Old 10-06-2010, 07:25 PM

Emig5m:

The cap size of the RXV3900 was 18,000uf vs 8,000 on the RXV663, Transformer was nearly twice the size, not using the amplifier within the receivers would warrant less differences...I don't want to sway this thread into all amplifiers sound all the same....I would just listen before making your own observations....I can't commit on the new stuff as I've only heard the RXA2000 and it wasn't in the same room, same setup. Looking inside though looked like a totally different layout then the previous receivers I had seen.

Also, your speakers deserve much better. Try a Krell 400xi, Classe and tell me if you hear a difference....I believe you'll hear a dramatic difference. Both have HT by-pass for easy integration with an AV receiver.
post #733 of 8869 Old 10-06-2010, 07:35 PM

Question for anyone about speaker impedance and the ability of these AVR's to drive 4 ohm speakers. It appears that Yamaha is being inconsistent about this. I own an RX-V667 which is pretty much identical to the A700 in almost every way and the 667 thread is not moving nearly as much as this one so I'm posting this here. I have Dynaudio Audience 42 front speakers which are 4 ohm. Right now I am using a Parasound amp connected to the 667's LR preouts to drive them. I have wanted to at least try driving my speakers with the 667 for comparison and it does state on page 18 in the 667's manual that the 667 has the ability to drive a 4 ohm speaker and that you just need to go into the Advanced set up menu and change the front speaker impedance setting to 6 ohm, again right there in the manual. Feeling a little leery about this I called Yamaha today and got their technical help line and asked a guy who answered about this and he says they can't drive 4 ohm speakers, not even the Aventage line no less - non of their AVR's regardless of the model. Now, bare with me here, and I don't mean to be an arse, but to put it lightly the guy seemed like he was not their sharpest tool in the shed there, he was clearly pulling up literature on his computer to answer my question and he seemed to be stumbling his words at times like he didn't know what and the hell he was exactly talking about. So, to put it lightly, I think I got a less knowledgeable person there whom I'd like to say was a bit of an idiot. So, that said, here I am, what do I believe? I would assume Yamaha would not print that in their manual, with instructions no less, if it could not drive 4 ohm front speakers. I also did some Google searches on this and found a guy stating he also called Yamaha about this exact same thing and that he was told it was more than capable of driving 4 ohm front speakers. Anyone have a thought on this?

Again, I know this is a thread regarding the Aventage line, but the 667 is basically identical to the A700 and A800, and of course it has fully discrete amps, non of those cheap opamp designs they made last year.
post #734 of 8869 Old 10-06-2010, 07:44 PM

Hi all, I have a bit of a random question. I bought a Synology Diskstation DS210j (a network storage drive) to hold our music library on the home network. The Yamaha is able to see the Diskstation as a media drive when I connect through "PC" mode, and it can play back files if controlled through the receiver/remote. So far so good.

However, the Diskstation AudioStation software is meant to allow you to send music from the unit to a DLNA digital media player. In my case, from within the AudioStation software it can see the RX-A1000 and identify it as a media renderer. However, if I queue up a music file and press play, the Yamaha thinks for a minute then displays "Unable to play". Yet I know it can play that file because if I try to play the exact same WAV file direct from the RX-A1000 it has no issues. So I know format is not an issue since it will play the file if I queue it up from the Yamaha, just not if I try to push the file through from something else. My firmware on the receiver is up to date too (2.05)

Anyone have experience with this, or any workarounds? Internet scouring hasn't landed me much to date (aside from ******* site in stars: http://*******/9PIA4e) I'm happy that I can at least access music from the Yamaha (everything is networked right, phew!), but I would love to be able to 'push' music from the library to the Yamaha rather than pulling it through the Yamaha since it's so easy to navigate the computer screen with playlists etc. rather than endlessly scrolling on the Yamaha screen (or TV output). Thanks!

============================================================
UPDATE: I was able to push through MP3 and AAC format files from the computer to the receiver without issue, but it keeps rejecting the WAV files as controlled from the computer (but plays them just fine if accessed through the receiver) - weird. Might try to rip my stuff in Flac instead and see how that works.
post #735 of 8869 Old 10-06-2010, 08:05 PM

My RX-A3000 is due tomorrow. I'll be testing the Vida on my 159" HP. I'll post my opinions this weekend.

If I don't see a big PQ improvement over the Reon that's in my projector, I'll return it next week.

My hearing is too poor (I'm an old guy) to notice any sound improvement over my current Denon 2307.

Fortunately, I still have 20/20 vision.
post #736 of 8869 Old 10-06-2010, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post

Question for anyone about speaker impedance and the ability of these AVR's to drive 4 ohm speakers. It appears that Yamaha is being inconsistent about this. I own an RX-V667 which is pretty much identical to the A700 in almost every way and the 667 thread is not moving nearly as much as this one so I'm posting this here. I have Dynaudio Audience 42 front speakers which are 4 ohm. Right now I am using a Parasound amp connected to the 667's LR preouts to drive them. I have wanted to at least try driving my speakers with the 667 for comparison and it does state on page 18 in the 667's manual that the 667 has the ability to drive a 4 ohm speaker and that you just need to go into the Advanced set up menu and change the front speaker impedance setting to 6 ohm, again right there in the manual. Feeling a little leery about this I called Yamaha today and got their technical help line and asked a guy who answered about this and he says they can't drive 4 ohm speakers, not even the Aventage line no less - non of their AVR's regardless of the model. Now, bare with me here, and I don't mean to be an arse, but to put it lightly the guy seemed like he was not their sharpest tool in the shed there, he was clearly pulling up literature on his computer to answer my question and he seemed to be stumbling his words at times like he didn't know what and the hell he was exactly talking about. So, to put it lightly, I think I got a less knowledgeable person there whom I'd like to say was a bit of an idiot. So, that said, here I am, what do I believe? I would assume Yamaha would not print that in their manual, with instructions no less, if it could not drive 4 ohm front speakers. I also did some Google searches on this and found a guy stating he also called Yamaha about this exact same thing and that he was told it was more than capable of driving 4 ohm front speakers. Anyone have a thought on this?

Again, I know this is a thread regarding the Aventage line, but the 667 is basically identical to the A700 and A800, and of course it has fully discrete amps, non of those cheap opamp designs they made last year.

The 667 NPB specs list...
Quote:

Maximum Output Power (for Europe, 4 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.7% THD)
Front L/R Channels 140 W + 140 W
Centre Channel 140 W
Surround L/R Channels 140 W + 140 W
Surround Back Channels 140 W + 140 W

Plus, both the 667 manual (page 117) and the NPB specs list...
Quote:

Dynamic Power/Channel (Front L/R, 8/6/4/2 ohms) 125/160/190/230 W

And the back of my 667 shows 4 Ohm min for the FRONT speakers when the AVR is in the "6 Ohm" mode...

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #737 of 8869 Old 10-06-2010, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 99
In the past, only higher end Yamaha receivers mentioned being able to handle 4 ohm speakers. And usually for just the L/R channel.

The 6 ohm switch is bad, because it reduces the potential load by reducing power! Quite a bit, as some bench marks have shown.

Some people have managed to drive 4 ohm speakers just fine with their receivers. But for models like the 667, while I am sure you can drive 4 ohm speakers, with the 8 ohm setting, you have to be careful. You want to ensure PLENTY of ventilation for air flow. And you probably don't want to play music really loud with all channel stereo. Even with two channels, you might want to take it easy. You are always risking pushing the receiver beyond it's design, IMO.

Seems an external amp with much better heat sinking and multiple parallel output devices and a large power supply transformer etc., seems like a better long term plan.

Or, just buy 8 ohm speakers. I never understood why people buy 4 ohm speakers for use with receivers when there are so many good 8 ohm speakers out there - and your receiver will run cooler and maybe last longer.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #738 of 8869 Old 10-06-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emig5m View Post

I'd love this if this where true, but I'm highly skeptical of these types of rants and I'll tell you why- Someone on here was raving about how much better their 3900 was over their 663 they replaced for 2 channel music so I went ahead and picked one up and it was identical in sound quality to the 663. And I'm not using HTIB speakers either, but speakers from B&W's high-end 800 series that should show any minute change in up stream components - their was none.

It gets better- once I confronted the person on here of my experience of the 663 vs the 3900 they went back and listened to the 3900 and then replied back that he/she admitted that the 3900 wasn't anything spectacular over the 663 for 2 channel music.

I might pick one up to hear for myself anyway, but I doubt I'm going to notice any difference at all for 2 channel music unless when using the YPAO it does a better job than the 663. BTW, I wasn't using the built in amps of the receiver. I was merely using the AVRs as a pre-amp out to an Emotiva XPA-5 (which I would also do with the A1000/A2000/A3000).

Then you should have learned a lesson by now -- all of this is 100% subjective. Circuitry, weight, 5th feet, yaddayadda, there is no scientific method to determine the mythos of sound quality. One man's trash is another man's treasure. There are plenty of people who say a scratchy old record sounds better than a DDD compact disc any day. Others will say that's ridiculous. If you don't believe people's opinions (which is kind of a stupid phrase because an opinion of this nature is not really subject to credibility), then take it with a spoonful of salt, or don't take it at all. Don't try to argue with the person. It's pointless and stupid. Try it for yourself and form your own conclusion.
post #739 of 8869 Old 10-07-2010, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emig5m View Post

Well I'm posting my experience, and in that experience the A2000 sounded much better the the V2065 did. I also am only using it as a pre amp and am using a Rotel RMB-1075 for the amplification. The A2000 sounded fuller, cleaner, and deeper then the V2065 did. While a good receiver I was never super excited about it. The A2000 I am. Give it a listen and make your own conclusions. It's just my .02
post #740 of 8869 Old 10-07-2010, 02:40 AM

Will the scaler used in the A2000 make Xbox 360 games look better? 99% of the games are 720p standard. Will it do better than the 360 at scaling?

Also, is scaling automatic? This receiver doesn't make actual 1080p blu rays better looking though, right?
post #741 of 8869 Old 10-07-2010, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

In the past, only higher end Yamaha receivers mentioned being able to handle 4 ohm speakers. And usually for just the L/R channel.

The 6 ohm switch is bad, because it reduces the potential load by reducing power! Quite a bit, as some bench marks have shown.

Some people have managed to drive 4 ohm speakers just fine with their receivers. But for models like the 667, while I am sure you can drive 4 ohm speakers, with the 8 ohm setting, you have to be careful. You want to ensure PLENTY of ventilation for air flow. And you probably don't want to play music really loud with all channel stereo. Even with two channels, you might want to take it easy. You are always risking pushing the receiver beyond it's design, IMO.

Seems an external amp with much better heat sinking and multiple parallel output devices and a large power supply transformer etc., seems like a better long term plan.

Or, just buy 8 ohm speakers. I never understood why people buy 4 ohm speakers for use with receivers when there are so many good 8 ohm speakers out there - and your receiver will run cooler and maybe last longer.

Thanks, Michael. Good information and about what I figured. Interesting what that 6 ohm switch does, I didn't realize that. I definitely hear you about 4 ohm speakers. I already had my Parasound amp, which by the way will drive a 4 ohm load with complete ease, before I bought the 667 with every intention to use the Parasound to drive the Dynaudio's. So, my interest in giving the 667 a shot at driving the Dyn's to see how it sounds is only a curiosity. I can't imagine it will outperform my Parasound so I believe I will likely pass for safety sake. I think one good thing going here if I did try this is my Dyn's are small bookshelfs and I am running them as "small" right now so the 667 wouldn't have to drive low bass AND I am told the Dyn's are a very steady 4 ohm load with no real dips below. I can't say I'm thrilled with having 4 ohm speakers, even with a more than capable amp to drive them, but the deal I got on these fantastic sounding speakers was too good to pass up. Thanks for the help.
post #742 of 8869 Old 10-07-2010, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Question to all.

When using the mic setup, does the multiple points measuring do better job than just doing 1 position?

Thanks
post #743 of 8869 Old 10-07-2010, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

My second evening with the A3000, listened to some 2-ch music and had a little issue with my LG BD player not sending bitstream to the receiver. I saw something in the manual about unplugging (power) your tv and receiver and plugging back in again. I did that and it was now sending bitstream. I might have caused the issue when I disconnected the hdmi from the receiver while a movie was on when I was setting it up.

I'm very pleased with my directv going thru the receiver, I do see an improvement in the picture. The colors look better. I have a hdmi out and ran a component out from the dtv dvr, both look great (rec to tv is hdmi only). And the pass-thru is nice. Turn off the receiver and tv picture comes back on with sound. Good for some times at night.

For sound, compared to my V663 - the bass is much improved, more pronounced. I attribute this mostly to YPAO on the A3000 over the v663. At 0 on the volume, definitely not as loud as the 663 was with an ext NAD amp (160/ch). However the 663 would usually shutdown if I went much louder (with the ext amp). The NAD amp never flinched. I know I can but I didn't go any louder (+16) than up to 0 right now.

Played with the DSP on some music from my Squeezebox. I liked the Bottom Line and Cellar club. On some songs such as with a live 10,000 Maniacs set, it made a nice difference and seemed to bring out the music much more. But with other songs it would be to pronounced and stereo sounded almost as full. I think these sound modes are useful sometimes. Also on while watching tv a bit I set dsp to Drama and that sounded pretty good.

I also played a couple songs from my PC on WMP. I did not know that WMP does not play flac music files! That really bums me as most my music is flac. Its not a huge deal because I use my squeezebox with the Duet remote. But I want to run 24-bit songs from the PC (those wont play on the squeezebox). I saw something that WMP might be able to add the flac codec but I haven't found that yet.

And finally, I had to get my Zone out setup out on my deck. I originally connected 2 little Sony speakers I had for front presence speakers, except I can't put them in the correct placement and instead had them inside from my mains. But with movies, they do make a noticeable improvement. However I connected them up on the extra SP1 terminals for FP and I tried to connect the Zone speakers to SP2. I set the amp to 7.1+FP+1Z. That does not use the SP2. So to run Zone speakers off the receiver, you cannot have front presence speakers w/o ext amp. And SP2 seems to only accommodate Zone 3 if you select 7Ch+2Zone (which assigns the surrounds to SP2 when you activate the Zone).
Bottom line is realistically, if you have a full 7.1 setup AND you want to run front or rear presence speakers, you pretty much need an ext amp. Otherwise whats the point in having those 2 back surround speakers? To run Zone outs is not much an issue for me that I lose any surrounds since I would probably be outside anyway.
post #744 of 8869 Old 10-07-2010, 08:42 AM

what up people.... been looking to get a new system, i called my local audio shop and they carry B&W speakers... they also told me about these new yamaha receivers.... ive been looking at Onkyo and Denon before.... how does these new yamaha compare?

Pioneer Plasma 151fd
Oppo BDP-93
post #745 of 8869 Old 10-07-2010, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

For sound, compared to my V663 - the bass is much improved, more pronounced. I attribute this mostly to YPAO on the A3000 over the v663. At 0 on the volume, definitely not as loud as the 663 was with an ext NAD amp (160/ch). However the 663 would usually shutdown if I went much louder (with the ext amp). The NAD amp never flinched. I know I can but I didn't go any louder (+16) than up to 0 right now.

I'm somewhat confused - why would the v663 shut down if the speakers are hooked up to an external amplifier? Since the internal amps aren't being taxed, there shouldn't be any problems, unless of course you're using 4/6 ohm speakers on the surround channels, and I'd have to assume you are since you didn't give any specifics of your speaker/amp setup. But under normal conditions, the protection circuitry shouldn't engage when using the pre-outs to feed an external amp...unless you've got some seriously whacked feedback on the pre-outs.

Edit: Oh, and the lower volume at reference level (0) is likely due to the pitiful 1V at the pre-out on the newer Yamahas. My HTR-5860 has 2V pre-out mains and 4V sub pre-out. For all the improvements to the internals in the Aventage line you'd think they'd pay attention to the pre-out levels, but alas they did not. For me that means I can't drive the two Adcoms I use for my mains (Polk RTi-A9s) to their full potential.

When a Priest says they're going to Flash you, it isn't for healing.

post #746 of 8869 Old 10-07-2010, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

on my v663, was not using the receiver to drive any speakers. But it would just shutdown by +5. With the A3000, I'm driving all speakers on the receiver.
I have 6ohm Wharfedale Opus 2 speakers and they like the power. Thats one reason I opted for the A3000 over the A2000, if I was giving up my amp, I wanted as much power as I could get.
post #747 of 8869 Old 10-07-2010, 02:38 PM

Guys I keep asking this and nobody will answer. Will the A2000 do better at scaling 360 games than the Xbox 360? Please answer, thanks.

Edit: Also, will there be a sale on an A2000 for the holidays anywhere?
post #748 of 8869 Old 10-07-2010, 04:27 PM

Guys, while running frequency sweeps in REW through my RX-A2000 I found out that in 7-channel Stereo mode the signal below the crossover point from all speakers, except mains, does not go to the subwoofer.

In other words: when you switch from 2-channel Stereo to 7-channel Stereo the SPL above the x-over rises, but the SPL below the x-over stays the same as in the 2-channel Stereo.

Could somebody do the same experiment and confirm my finding?
post #749 of 8869 Old 10-07-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muad'dib View Post

Question to all.

When using the mic setup, does the multiple points measuring do better job than just doing 1 position?

Thanks

See the thread I started on my issues using YPAO with the A2000. My experience was that using multiple positions helped a great deal, but others found a single-point setup to work very well in their listening environments.
post #750 of 8869 Old 10-07-2010, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoB View Post

Guys, while running frequency sweeps in REW through my RX-A2000 I found out that in 7-channel Stereo mode the signal below the crossover point from all speakers, except mains, does not go to the subwoofer.

In other words: when you switch from 2-channel Stereo to 7-channel Stereo the SPL above the x-over rises, but the SPL below the x-over stays the same as in the 2-channel Stereo.

Could somebody do the same experiment and confirm my finding?

The SPL above the crossover is of course going to rise - you're matrixing a 2 channel source into a 7 channel array, so the extra speakers are going to combine for greater SPL. As for the sound below the crossover not being sent from speakers other than the mains...why would it? The mains contain the only source material, and the other speakers are just receiving matrixed sound based on the original material being played by the front speakers. You wouldn't want the sound that normally goes to the sub being added to by matrixing, lest you muddy the music.

That said, you could try forcing what you think you're missing by setting the non-front speakers to small, which is the only way to force the sound below the crossover to the sub, but since the way that 7 channel matrixing is done is just branched out from the mains (leaving the mains to do what they'd normally do as if they were playing in 2 channel mode), there isn't anything to add below the crossover.

When a Priest says they're going to Flash you, it isn't for healing.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page