"Official" Yamaha RX-A1000/RX-A2000/RX-A3000 thread - Page 251 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7501 of 8843 Old 03-03-2012, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the RX-A3000 and we watch a LOT of movies. All legit purchases of new DVDs from Amazon. We used to use the Pioneer VSX-94TXH which I loved, but had to replace because the store that sold me the Panasonic PT-DW6300 projector said I needed to upgrade it to use the Panasonic on our 100 inch screen.

We have a number of older DVDs which are widescreen, but something in the Yamaha is processing them incorrectly. It looks like the Yamaha thinks it is a 4:3 picture and so the picture is "widescreen" within the normal 4:3 width.

In other words there are big black bands on the left and right and even bigger bands on the top and bottom. The picture ends up pretty small.

I have seen these movies on the Pioneer and it correctly showed them in the widescreen format. I have tried these DVDs on my 2 DVD players (Sony and Pioneer) and 2 Blu-ray players (Sony and Cambridge) and all show the picture small.

I have tried to work through the setup settings. The manual is not very user friendly for a non-tech. I have Aspect set at "Through".

I can make it the right size if I play it on the Windows 7 computer that is hooked into the system, but the resolution is not very good and my Universal remote control doesn't work on the computer.

I have been fooling with this for months and the store that sold the Yamaha to me says no one else has complained and maybe I shouldn't watch old DVDs.

This is driving me crazy and I'm hoping someone here might have an answer.

If any service tech here services the Ottawa, Canada area, I would be willing to pay for a service call if there is hope for a solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7502 of 8843 Old 03-03-2012, 11:49 AM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdaC View Post

I have the RX-A3000 and we watch a LOT of movies. All legit purchases of new DVDs from Amazon. We used to use the Pioneer VSX-94TXH which I loved, but had to replace because the store that sold me the Panasonic PT-DW6300 projector said I needed to upgrade it to use the Panasonic on our 100 inch screen.

We have a number of older DVDs which are widescreen, but something in the Yamaha is processing them incorrectly. It looks like the Yamaha thinks it is a 4:3 picture and so the picture is "widescreen" within the normal 4:3 width.

In other words there are big black bands on the left and right and even bigger bands on the top and bottom. The picture ends up pretty small.

I have seen these movies on the Pioneer and it correctly showed them in the widescreen format. I have tried these DVDs on my 2 DVD players (Sony and Pioneer) and 2 Blu-ray players (Sony and Cambridge) and all show the picture small.

I have tried to work through the setup settings. The manual is not very user friendly for a non-tech. I have Aspect set at "Through".

I can make it the right size if I play it on the Windows 7 computer that is hooked into the system, but the resolution is not very good and my Universal remote control doesn't work on the computer.

I have been fooling with this for months and the store that sold the Yamaha to me says no one else has complained and maybe I shouldn't watch old DVDs.

If any service tech here services the Ottawa, Canada area, I would be willing to pay for a service call if there is hope for a solution.

I've seen that before with some DVD's.. and indeed some of them ARE 4:3 with black bars encoded at the top and bottom as well. If you set the A3000 to through, then try playing with the aspect settings on your TV. I think if you set it to zoom they will look like a regular widescreen movie.
post #7503 of 8843 Old 03-03-2012, 11:58 AM

We use the Panasonic projector which comes with its own set of issues. I can't find a way to "zoom" it. If I plug a DVD player directly into the projector, the picture is fine, but no sound (of course).

I'm sure there's something the Yamaha is doing in the processing or in the combination of Yamaha to Panasonic.

These aren't ancient movies, just older. Strange Days, Kalifornia and Monsoon Wedding to name 3.
post #7504 of 8843 Old 03-03-2012, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
If you haven't tried it, turn off video processing on the 3000
post #7505 of 8843 Old 03-03-2012, 01:07 PM

I'd love to know how to do that.

But to be cautious, will I cause myself worse problems by affecting adversely some other area?
post #7506 of 8843 Old 03-03-2012, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

You have several issues working against a smooth solution.

One--your projector is not a home theatre projector. It has a 16:10 native aspect ratio and a 1280x800 native resolution. This does not correspond to the standard resolutions or aspect ratios found on consumer HDTVs or home theatre projectors (around 95% have 16:9 ratios and either 1280x720, 1366x768 or 1920x1080 resolutions--exceptions include cinemascope ratios and a few other resolutions like 1600x1000).

Two--non-anamorphic DVDs (like the ones you describe) were designed to work, ideally, with standard def 4:3 TVs.

Three--AVRs, even those with good video processing, are more limited than computers in terms of coping with unusual aspect ratios and resolutions.

How long have you been using this projector? Were you using an HDTV before you got the Yamaha AVR? How old are your players? (some recent players--I have a few--will windowbox all 4:3 images if the output is set to 16:9, while some of my older players will leave 4:3 images alone. A non-anamorphic widescreen image is simply an image within a 4:3 "window", so this behaviour applies to them as well).

I have some non-anamorphic discs. In order to avoid the windowboxing, I have to use the aspect ratio controls on my projector or I have to watch them on one of the standard def TVs that I still have in my house (like the one in my living room--even then, though, I can only avoid the windowboxing by using an older player--my Blu-ray player will windowbox everything that is not anamorphic on DVD).

I do not think there is anyway to avoid the windowboxing effect without compromising the resolution. Sometimes I simply choose to watch the smaller image in the centre, in order to maximize the PQ at the expense of size.

Where did you buy your AVR? I bought my A1000 in Ottawa (I drive 2 and a half hours each way, despite living in suburban Montreal--where there is no shortage of audio shops--because of the good service I get) and I feel confident the store where I bought it would not have been flippant about watching "old DVDs" (and if it was at the same store, I know the manager well enough to let him know he has an impolite employee).
post #7507 of 8843 Old 03-03-2012, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Go to menu, setup, video, click on processing and, if it's on, turn it off. It's easy to turn it back on if you want.
post #7508 of 8843 Old 03-03-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post

The first time I streamed music it worked perfect. Since then it has been spotty. I was wondering if it is my network. Anyone have any suggestions?

From my experiance it is the network. Try rebooting your router. I periodacly reboot my system just so every one can talk together. Occassinoaly the music gets choppy, I reboot the wireless bridge and if that is still not enough, I reboot the main router.

System is - RXA 2000 over wireless bridge for playback via iTouch control, zone 2 to office via long run rca, from my Iomega cloud media servier.
post #7509 of 8843 Old 03-03-2012, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTre View Post

From my experiance it is the network. Try rebooting your router. I periodacly reboot my system just so every one can talk together. Occassinoaly the music gets choppy, I reboot the wireless bridge and if that is still not enough, I reboot the main router.

System is - RXA 2000 over wireless bridge for playback via iTouch control, zone 2 to office via long run rca, from my Iomega cloud media servier.

Thanks, I'll give your idea a try. I'm also considering upgrading my router. When I purchased my current one, I had no idea I would be streaming like I am now. This is one crazy hobby!
post #7510 of 8843 Old 03-03-2012, 11:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How do I check the version of firmware in my RX-A700? I could not find anything in the manual. Thanks Bob
post #7511 of 8843 Old 03-04-2012, 04:09 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_m10 View Post

How do I check the version of firmware in my RX-A700? I could not find anything in the manual. Thanks Bob

On the OSD check under information and look for system. The firmware version listed there. Or at least it is on the 2000
Jim
post #7512 of 8843 Old 03-04-2012, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

The first time I streamed music it worked perfect. Since then it has been spotty. I was wondering if it is my network. Anyone have any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTre View Post

I would agree about the network. I listen to Net Radio (SKY.fm's Smooth Jazz) and just leave the stream going on in the garage. One time I checked, the time counter had gotten passed 16000 minutes; over 11 days of worth of continuous streaming with no audio problems.

My Netgear router (last year) was losing almost all of my internet/network speeds after just 24 hours. My 25/25 package from FiOS was reduced to 1/1. I was rebooting the router several times a week. Somehow, it clear itself up...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: editor@VARTV.com
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

post #7513 of 8843 Old 03-04-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfrench View Post

On the OSD check under information and look for system. The firmware version listed there. Or at least it is on the 2000
Jim

Right it should be there but it's not on my 700. Thanks Bob

Update from another post:

Press and hold the [STRAIGHT] button on the front panel and keep it pressed
while you press the [STANDBY/ON] button. Once the front panel displays
"ADVANCED SETUP", release the [STRAIGHT] button. Then, press and hold
the [TONE CONTROL] button for about 3 seconds until front panel displays the firmware version.
post #7514 of 8843 Old 03-04-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VARTV View Post

I would agree about the network. I listen to Net Radio (SKY.fm's Smooth Jazz) and just leave the stream going on in the garage. One time I checked, the time counter had gotten passed 16000 minutes; over 11 days of worth of continuous streaming with no audio problems.

My Netgear router (last year) was losing almost all of my internet/network speeds after just 24 hours. My 25/25 package from FiOS was reduced to 1/1. I was rebooting the router several times a week. Somehow, it clear itself up...

Yep, just love it when the technology decideds that "Yes it can" and then fixes it's self! Occassionaly happens and so unfortunatly, can the reverse. Working fine one day and on the scrap heap the next.
post #7515 of 8843 Old 03-04-2012, 10:16 AM

Reply to OVATION

Thank you for your detailed reply. After reading it, I dug up an old Sony DVD player I had retired. When I played Monsoon Wedding on that, the aspect was much improved, I have no idea why. I will have to dig up the other problem DVDs to check if that fixes them all.

I will be happy to send you the name of the audio shop in a private message if I can figure out how to do that. I don't want to cause myself any problems by naming it publicly here.
post #7516 of 8843 Old 03-04-2012, 10:19 AM

Reply to HESSEL HOLLAND
Thank you for your instructions. Taking off processing made the picture go off the screen, see my reply to OVATION for a fix for at least one DVD (a really old DVD player).
post #7517 of 8843 Old 03-04-2012, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Reply to OVATION

Thank you for your detailed reply. After reading it, I dug up an old Sony DVD player I had retired. When I played Monsoon Wedding on that, the aspect was much improved, I have no idea why. I will have to dig up the other problem DVDs to check if that fixes them all.

I will be happy to send you the name of the audio shop in a private message if I can figure out how to do that. I don't want to cause myself any problems by naming it publicly here.

Just click on my user name. It will offer you a link to send me a private message.

I think newer players are designed with the assumption that TVs are all 16:9. They don't bother providing automatic options for non-anamorphic DVDs. This leaves us to rely on the displays and their settings.

A truly "smart" player would adjust the aspect ratio automatically to make best use of the available resolution of the display, allowing the user to override to taste. Oh well. Things have progressed a lot in many ways but complexity has its own costs.
post #7518 of 8843 Old 03-04-2012, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just curious, what type of router would be best for streaming, in particular from my iPad. Once the summer gets here, I may want to do a lot of streaming while I'm out in the yard grilling and having a cold one.
post #7519 of 8843 Old 03-04-2012, 11:19 PM

When I run YPAO on my rx-a700, does it adjust the curve settings under each PEQ equalizer types (Flat, Front and Natural)? Thus when I use the PEQ data copy function to copy a particular equalizer type to manual I will be seeing the results from YPAO?

Thanks Bob
post #7520 of 8843 Old 03-05-2012, 03:25 AM

Anyone know where I can buy a RX-A1000 for a good price? They seem to be hard to find, even refurbished ones.

On another note, if anyone is wanting to get rid of theirs, PM me.
post #7521 of 8843 Old 03-05-2012, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Just curious, what type of router would be best for streaming, in particular from my iPad.

I have a Netgear WRT610Nv2. As I mentioned above, I don't know why but early last year I was have trouble with keeping internet/network speeds. That's all gone now. Working flawlessly. Advice? Make sure it's a N router and able to handle up to 1 gig speeds...

Quote:

Once the summer gets here, I may want to do a lot of streaming while I'm out in the yard grilling and having a cold one.

That's my Zone 2... Deck/Backyard. Kids like listening to the local pop station or SiriusXM IR while swimming. I like Net Radio. We now have a Spotify account that we can listen to too (PC is connected to the our RX-A2000...)

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: editor@VARTV.com
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

post #7522 of 8843 Old 03-05-2012, 11:24 AM

I am in the process of setting up a new a/v system in a building that I am building behind my house. I am planning to install the following:

Garage space:
(4) in ceiling 8" speakers
(2) floor speakers
LED TV

Home Theater Space:
(2) Front Speakers
Center Speaker
(2) Rear Speakers
LED TV

Office:
(2) 6" in ceiling speakers

I currently have an older Harman Kardon receiver. I am looking at the Yamaha RX-A2000. I would like to put all of my hdmi inputs (satellite, PS3, Blu-Ray, etc.) into the Yamaha in an a/v room, and I plan to have the hdmi outs go to the TV in the HT and the Garage. Of course, all of the speakers in the HT would be connected to the Yamaha directly, and I would connect the two speakers in the office to the zone speakers directly on the Yamaha. As for the speakers in the Garage, can I connect the zone out output of the Yamaha to an input on the Harman Kardon and power the speakers in the garage with the Harman Kardon? Will the audio sync with the video in the garage if this is even possible?
post #7523 of 8843 Old 03-05-2012, 01:26 PM

Second reply to HESSEL HOLLAND

Thanks again for the instructions on how to turn off the processing. I played more with different players and it seems the oldest one can interpret the signal with minimal distortion if the processing is off. I have yet to figure out what it will do to the new players playing new DVDs.

I really believe there's a combination of settings and players that will let me do what I want. I just have to find it. Unfortunately, I only have a limited amount of time I can spend on "entertainment".
post #7524 of 8843 Old 03-05-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by arshishb View Post

Anyone know where I can buy a RX-A1000 for a good price? They seem to be hard to find, even refurbished ones.

On another note, if anyone is wanting to get rid of theirs, PM me.

do you have a Magnolia Home Theater near you?

There are a few of them that still have some unit left

I found an A2000 last week for $499...no remote...just power cord and calibration mic
I bought that one and found a factory replacement remote for $75

I also saw an A3000 at another store for $719...all the accessories..but the door had an issue and would not stay shut

also ebay has some on there as well

Though what I have seen wont have any warranty on it

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Pioneer SC37 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009/906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #7525 of 8843 Old 03-05-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post

do you have a Magnolia Home Theater near you?

There are a few of them that still have some unit left

I found an A2000 last week for $499...no remote...just power cord and calibration mic
I bought that one and found a factory replacement remote for $75

I also saw an A3000 at another store for $719...all the accessories..but the door had an issue and would not stay shut

also ebay has some on there as well

Though what I have seen wont have any warranty on it

Warren

Newegg has refurbed units for $523 delivered, I pulled the trigger They come with a 1 yr warranty instead of 3, so I may invest in an extended warranty later on. Now for the waiting game.
post #7526 of 8843 Old 03-05-2012, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have a Netgear WRT610Nv2. As I mentioned above, I don't know why but early last year I was have trouble with keeping internet/network speeds. That's all gone now. Working flawlessly. Advice? Make sure it's a N router and able to handle up to 1 gig speeds...

That's my Zone 2... Deck/Backyard. Kids like listening to the local pop station or SiriusXM IR while swimming. I like Net Radio. We now have a Spotify account that we can listen to too (PC is connected to the our RX-A2000...)

I think I may have to upgrade my router. Thanks for the tip.
post #7527 of 8843 Old 03-05-2012, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_m10 View Post

When I run YPAO on my rx-a700, does it adjust the curve settings under each PEQ equalizer types (Flat, Front and Natural)? Thus when I use the PEQ data copy function to copy a particular equalizer type to manual I will be seeing the results from YPAO?

Yes, that's correct.
post #7528 of 8843 Old 03-05-2012, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

Use the Receiver Manager application (link) to read all your current settings, and it will let you see how all the EQ filters are set. Even better, if you use RM to save all your settings in a file, PEQedit can read the file and display the filters graphically.

Thank You so much for this!
post #7529 of 8843 Old 03-06-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

Yes, that's correct.

Thanks!
post #7530 of 8843 Old 03-06-2012, 05:06 PM

Ok have a weird problem. When my Directv receiver changes resolutions the screen goes black but I have audio. On the front of the receiver the red OUT1 or OUT2 (if I move it to HDMI out2) flashes underneath the HDMI logo. If I turn the receiver off and have it pass through, there aren't any problems. Any ideas? Please PM me. Appreciate ANY help, not sure if the receiver is broken, had it for about a year now.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page