AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdaC View Post

I'd love to know how to do that.

But to be cautious, will I cause myself worse problems by affecting adversely some other area?

No, you will not be worse off, you will be better, because the A3000 video processing unit is probably worth about $200.

You don't know how to turn of the HQV Vida "Video Procession"?
I don't blame you, it took me 25 minutes looking through the manual. It doesn't help that everyone on this thread refers to it as Vida processing yet no where in the manual are the words HQV or Vida, only "Processing"

May I interest you in page 117?
Funny thing is, it's not clear if it processes HDMI inputs. Someone one here knows
Play DVD and try (using remote)
1) On Screen/Setup/Video/Processing/Processing (Switch to on)
2) If that didn't change anything go to the next section under Processing and change resolution to 720p, 1080i, or 1080p depending on what you have.

Or do both of those in reverse.

That being said, I wrote this before reading Ovation's replay; he was spot on. I didn't realize your projector's native resolution wasn't 1080p
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7532 of 8872 Old 03-07-2012, 12:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8 View Post

No, you will not be worse off, you will be better, because the A3000 video processing unit is probably worth about $200.

If you turn off processing in the AVR does that mean those duties fall to the display or the source? If that is true, why do we need processing in an AVR? Isn't it better to have those functions handled by the display? I suppose if your display is older you may want to use the processing in the AVR but where do you draw the line on functionality pressed into the AVR?

Thanks Bob
post #7533 of 8872 Old 03-07-2012, 04:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ovation and/or Cravit8 - It was an expensive projector and I told both the salesman and the Panasonic tech that it was to watch movies on. I was told this was the best one, although I know it is designed primarily for business presentations.

What are the implications to my system that "The projector has a 16:10 native aspect ratio and a 1280x800 native resolution." Do I need to change some settings that are default?

I have managed to find some time to play with the various players with processing off. It's .... complicated!

I can get a beautiful picture with Strange Days now (non-anamorphic), but only by changing the projector's aspect to V fit, rather than H fit and playing it in my oldest DVD player (the only one of 4 that setting looks good on).

With that setting, if I use the computer, the picture goes off the screen vertically.

Given the limited time I have for testing, I have not put a recent DVD into a newer Blu-ray player to see what happens on that aspect.

Luckily, I don't think I have a lot of these non-anamorphic DVDs, as I suspect I will have to switch the aspect after I am done with this DVD.
post #7534 of 8872 Old 03-07-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ovation and/or Cravit8
What are the implications to my system that "The projector has a 16:10 native aspect ratio and a 1280x800 native resolution." Do I need to change some settings that are default?

I really hate to be a buzzkill; I almost wasn't going to type it, but you're here on this forum, not a passerby in Best Buy so...

Native resolution (look it up on Wikipedia) is the actually amount of pixels the display has and therefore is not a setting. While 1280x800 makes perfect sense for a business projector, it isn't recommended for HDTV & movie watching because it is neither 720 or 1080.

Quote:

Luckily, I don't think I have a lot of these non-anamorphic DVDs, as I suspect I will have to switch the aspect after I am done with this DVD.

That's good, but you might want to ask yourself if it is better to watch the DVD as is and deal with the visuals or fumble with the aspect ratio every time. Originally my neurotic behavior would disallow me to appreciate the DVD in a small size on a 100" screen, but I have now learned to enjoy life more by accepting some things as is and deeming it part of the experience (like having ants and mosquitos at the park picnic). What if you or another forgets to change the aspect ratio back after the DVD is finished?
post #7535 of 8872 Old 03-07-2012, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I still don't understand why my 2 presence speakers are coming up as "reverse" when I run YPAO. All my front speakers are from my old Yamaha HTIB setup. I'm using the old surround speakers as the presence.

Because they are presence speakers, I don't know what volume I should expect out of these. When playing Pandora on 7-ch DSP they are fairly weak compared FL & FR.

They are wired correctly to the receiver, anyone think I should take them apart, switch the wires, try them as the fronts first, what?

Also, which DSPs utilize the Presence speakers the most for music?
post #7536 of 8872 Old 03-07-2012, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_m10 View Post

If you turn off processing in the AVR does that mean those duties fall to the display or the source? If that is true, why do we need processing in an AVR? Isn't it better to have those functions handled by the display? I suppose if your display is older you may want to use the processing in the AVR but where do you draw the line on functionality pressed into the AVR?

Thanks Bob

I don't think processing could fall to the source. Part of the marketing in HDTVs is their video processing. Maybe you're right and the video processing IS a waste if the TV can do it.

Oddly, I don't think I read anywhere in this thread where someone posted a lengthy review of this AVRs HQV Vida processing.

Edit: I didn't meant the source doesn't process.
post #7537 of 8872 Old 03-07-2012, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

Ovation and/or Cravit8 - It was an expensive projector and I told both the salesman and the Panasonic tech that it was to watch movies on. I was told this was the best one, although I know it is designed primarily for business presentations.

IMO, you got bad advice. Unless you absolutely need the extra brightness of this kind of projector (e.g., using it with some lights on and/or on a gigantic screen like 200+ inches diagonal), a specifically home theatre projector would have been a better option.

Quote:

There are several implications.

For one, you will ALWAYS have some black bars above and below the image no matter what kind of DVD or BD you play--none of them will have a 16:10 ratio. If you try to fill the entire screen, you will distort the image of whatever disc you view in an unflattering fashion (I have a small 16:10 monitor that I use mostly for tweaking the settings of my gear or seeing DVD-Audio menus--I have experimented with filling the screen to get rid of the black bars. It NEVER looks good.).

Second, you will have to rely on the projector's scaling and video processing as no player or AVR will offer a setting that is an exact match for your projector. As a result, any video processing in your player or AVR is wasted as a feature.

Third, the odd aspect ratio will make troubleshooting image issues a bit more difficult to deal with, should they arise.

Quote:
I have managed to find some time to play with the various players with processing off. It's .... complicated!

If I had your gear, I would keep two players in the loop--the old one for non-anamorphic and 4:3 DVDs. A BD player for anamorphic DVDs and Blu-rays. I would also leave the AVR's processing OFF as it is not able to output a signal that matches your PJ and it is a rule of thumb that one should avoid multiple processing and aspect ratio conversions/scaling if possible.

Quote:
I can get a beautiful picture with Strange Days now (non-anamorphic), but only by changing the projector's aspect to V fit, rather than H fit and playing it in my oldest DVD player (the only one of 4 that setting looks good on).

With that setting, if I use the computer, the picture goes off the screen vertically.

Given the limited time I have for testing, I have not put a recent DVD into a newer Blu-ray player to see what happens on that aspect.

If you do not wish to watch the smaller, centred image for non-anamorphic or 4:3 DVDs, you will need to use the combination of your old player and the "V fit" setting AND your BD player for everything else with the "H fit" setting. I hope switching from V to H and back is not too cumbersome.

Quote:

It may prove simpler (and cheaper), in the long run, to find out if there are any anamorphic or BD releases of the titles you have and replace them (a fair number of non-anamorphic titles were re-released in an anamorphic format on DVD--BDs will not have that issue). That is likely how I would proceed if I had your setup. As for those I could not replace, I'd likely live with the smaller, centred image--the sound quality remains equally good (and for me, sound is more than half the package--I had a fully operational, multi-thousand dollar 5.1 audio setup long before I abandoned my standard def CRT 32" TV).

Good luck.
post #7538 of 8872 Old 03-07-2012, 07:08 PM

I have been reading as much of this forum as I can to try and help me make up my mind. I am trying to decide which AVR to purchase. I have narrowed my choice down to an Anthem MRX-500 or a Yamaha RX-A2010. I have tried to find a comparison but haven't been able to.

I am going to be using Totem Dreamcatcher speakers and a 50" plasma. The room I will be playing this in is 14x20. It is situated in such a way that I am unable to put the couch in the middle of the room. So the tv is about 10' away on the opposite wall of the tv. I will be using this equipment for listening to music and watching movies. 40/60 respectively. I am hoping to upgrade in the next couple of years to a 2 channel amp. Most likely the Emotiva XPA-2 and a phono amp to use for records (not sure of makes or models at this time).

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
post #7539 of 8872 Old 03-08-2012, 09:35 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I don't think processing could fall to the source. Part of the marketing in HDTVs is their video processing. Maybe you're right and the video processing IS a waste if the TV can do it.

Oddly, I don't think I read anywhere in this thread where someone posted a lengthy review of this AVRs HQV Vida processing.

While I admittedly still need to update the results, I did do a fairly extensive review and test of the A2000, including the video processing (which is the same as that in the A3000). It is posted at SECRETS of Home Theater & High Fidelity. The update is that it actually passes all of our video benchmark tests, whereas the current review still shows that it was untested on some tests.
Quote:

Edit: I didn't meant the source doesn't process.

Indeed, the Oppo Blu-ray players are among the best video processors around (especially for the money). If for example you want to watch Netflix or Vudu, and both your TV and your Oppo can do the job, the Oppo is most likely the better choice. Very few TVs will out-do the Oppo for video processing.

The time you want the HQV video processing turned on in the Yamaha RX-A20x0 or A30x0, is when the source is not as good. Say you have a low-end dvd or Blu-ray player. Or say you have a cable or Satellite box and you're watching SD material, etc.

These days all three devices (source, reciever (video switcher), and TV) will have some sort of video scaling/processing. It's up to you to figure out which one does the best job for what kind of programming you're watching, then disable the other two for that programming type.

post #7540 of 8872 Old 03-08-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyd View Post

I have been reading as much of this forum as I can to try and help me make up my mind. I am trying to decide which AVR to purchase. I have narrowed my choice down to an Anthem MRX-500 or a Yamaha RX-A2010. I have tried to find a comparison but haven't been able to.

I am going to be using Totem Dreamcatcher speakers and a 50" plasma. The room I will be playing this in is 14x20. It is situated in such a way that I am unable to put the couch in the middle of the room. So the tv is about 10' away on the opposite wall of the tv. I will be using this equipment for listening to music and watching movies. 40/60 respectively. I am hoping to upgrade in the next couple of years to a 2 channel amp. Most likely the Emotiva XPA-2 and a phono amp to use for records (not sure of makes or models at this time).

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

For what it's worth, we gave "best of 2011" awards to both the Anthem mrx500 and the Yamaha rx-a2000. We debated long and hard over this, and couldn't agree on one or the other, so we basically split up the award. We decided the Yamaha was the best "value" overall (especially considering street prices at the time) but Jim (the reviewer of the Anthem) said the sound quality of the Anthem was unmatched at that price range. He was especially impressed with the Anthem's room correction software. Where the Anthem fell short was on video processing, whereas the Yamaha had (has) the best video processing of almost any receiver out there at the time, plus the Yamaha had a better feature suite with all it's networking features, streaming, connectivity, etc. Yamaha's YPAO is very good, but probably not best-in-class. Jim felt that Anthem's solution was the best he'd used. I did not try the Anthem's solftware, and I don't know if Jim has tried YPAO recently or not.

The link to my review of the A2000 (nearly identical to the A2010) is in my previous post above. Here's the link to Jim's review of the Anthem. FYI, I have not heard the Anthem, so please don't ask me about it. You can post questions to Jim at the end of his review, or directly through the SECRETS "CAVE" forum. We were not able to do a head-to-head comparison of the two receivers, but we can both answer questions separately about them if you like.

You can't really go wrong with either, unless you need/want good video processing in your AVR, in which case the Anthem would be the wrong choice.

post #7541 of 8872 Old 03-08-2012, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran View Post

The time you want the HQV video processing turned on in the Yamaha RX-A20x0 or A30x0, is when the source is not as good. Say you have a low-end dvd or Blu-ray player. Or say you have a cable or Satellite box and you're watching SD material, etc.

Thanks Kieran

and that includes all content over HDMI right?

I have a cable box, I switched to an SD news channel and really could not tell much of a difference going ON & OFF video processing. I was kind of bummed.

The only function I could see was it alleviated my HDTV black screening and displaying input resolution every time I changed the channel because of resolution changes between different channels.
Good gravy that one feature made the A2000 worth it.

I'm eager to get back home and test "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" uprocessed through the fat PS3 and then A2000 processed. Honestly, I don't know how well I can judge it though because of the delay between changing settings.
post #7542 of 8872 Old 03-08-2012, 02:25 PM

Liked: 16
Might be the only one you can find anywhere from an authorized dealer.
post #7543 of 8872 Old 03-08-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraweiss View Post

Might be the only one you can find anywhere from an authorized dealer.

Is that an authorized Dealer? Amazon is selling that through "Electronics Expo." How does that work, perhaps Electronics Expo is authorized?

Bob
post #7544 of 8872 Old 03-08-2012, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_m10 View Post

Is that an authorized Dealer? Amazon is selling that through "Electronics Expo." How does that work, perhaps Electronics Expo is authorized?

Bob

As with many companies like Yamaha, you can google search "Yamaha authorized dealers" or " Yamaha authorized retailer" and find a link to the company's list.

Try it! Pretty great.
post #7545 of 8872 Old 03-08-2012, 06:28 PM

Liked: 16
I checked Yamaha web site before I said Electronics Expo was authorized. No use sending you on a wild goose chase.
post #7546 of 8872 Old 03-08-2012, 07:31 PM

I have the A3000 and the Panasonic BDT-210. When I change chapters, or start up a chapter, there is an audio pause of about 1-1.5 seconds where there is no audio...thus I miss the start of some chapters. Video keeps going and eventually the audio kicks in. It's annoying and have tried to play with auto vs hdmi selection etc but no success....any help you can send would be greatly appreciated.

Note that after a blu-ray starts, there is no issue what so ever, it's only on the first startup. It's like it is trying to choose or select an audio track (?). It happens on all blu-rays and audio formats

(I may cross post this on the panny thread)
post #7547 of 8872 Old 03-08-2012, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsegato View Post

I have the A3000 and the Panasonic BDT-210. When I change chapters, or start up a chapter, there is an audio pause of about 1-1.5 seconds where there is no audio...thus I miss the start of some chapters. Video keeps going and eventually the audio kicks in. It's annoying and have tried to play with auto vs hdmi selection etc but no success....any help you can send would be greatly appreciated.

(I may cross post this on the panny thread)

I would be surprised if it was anything but the player. But maybe I'm old enough to be conditioned to audio being the first thing that came through on any type of connection.
post #7548 of 8872 Old 03-09-2012, 06:04 AM

Quote:

As with many companies like Yamaha, you can google search "Yamaha authorized dealers" or " Yamaha authorized retailer" and find a link to the company's list.

Try it! Pretty great.

My point (which I was not too clear) was to be careful when purchsing from Amazon, sometimes it is not Amazon that is the actual seller. -Bob
post #7549 of 8872 Old 03-09-2012, 07:53 AM

Call Electronic Expo directly and ask them for their AVS price. They usually have a much better price over the phone (at least was my experience with Denon prices) both Electronic Expo and Newegg are authorized distributor of Yamaha.
post #7550 of 8872 Old 03-09-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyC26 View Post

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-A2000-7-1-Channel-Audio-Receiver/dp/B003XDU484/

Is this a decent price or should I try to find a dealer that can give me a better deal?

$999 for a model year 2010 RX-A2000? That's a pretty high price, IMO. Hold out for when the model year 2011 RX-A2010s start going on clearance... should be in a couple/few months if previous years are any indication.

post #7551 of 8872 Old 03-09-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:

Thanks Kieran

and that includes all content over HDMI right?

Yes, HQV video processing can be applied to all inputs. You will notice the biggest improvement on analog sources (SD Component, s-video, etc.)

Keep in mind that one of the BEST things about the A2000 and A3000 video sections is that it doesn't HURT the HDMI signal. In fact, IIRC, the A2000 is the first receiver we've tested that didn't affect the HDMI signal in our tests. It comes as close to true "pass through" that we've seen. It's not widely known, but there's really no such thing as true "HDMI pass-through". The HDMI signal can not be sent through with no processing. The trick is to not change it as it passes through the system. Most receivers before the A2000 (all brands) that we tested affected the signal in some small (or some times big) way. With the A2000 I did not detect any detriment to the signal with our tests.
Quote:

I have a cable box, I switched to an SD news channel and really could not tell much of a difference going ON & OFF video processing. I was kind of bummed.

When processing an HDMI SD signal, the benefits can be very hard to detect with normal programming. A couple things to check: is your cable box up-converting the SD channels to 720p or 1080i or 1080p? Most cable boxes these days do up-convert for you, and you need to manually disable this feature (if possible). If the box is sending a 1080p signal to your Yamaha, then the Yamaha is going to do very little to the picture. Also, your TV most certainly has up-conversion to 1080p too. In fact it must at least scale the image, or else an SD image would appear as a tiny square in the middle of the screen, occupying only 640x480 pixels of the available 1920x1080. But you should be able to turn off up-conversion so that an SD image sent to your TV is only scaled.

So to really isolate and test the up-conversion of the Yamaha with SD material, you should disable all video processing on your cable box and TV.
Quote:

The only function I could see was it alleviated my HDTV black screening and displaying input resolution every time I changed the channel because of resolution changes between different channels.
Good gravy that one feature made the A2000 worth it.

I'm eager to get back home and test "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" uprocessed through the fat PS3 and then A2000 processed. Honestly, I don't know how well I can judge it though because of the delay between changing settings.

That is always a problem when trying to A/B compare stuff like this. You just have to play the exact same clip over and over and look for subtle differences.

post #7552 of 8872 Old 03-09-2012, 11:09 PM

Does anyone have advice on a good speakers to pair with these receivers? I've been using the AVR for a couple of weeks and I just can't get past a shrillness in the high frequencies. I've tried using the built in equalizer to no avail. It's starting to drive me nuts, not good for such an expensive receiver

I'm wondering if I need to finally upgrade my speakers, or would that even make a difference? Currently I'm using some very cheap Dayton audio b625's for surrounds, a Dayton Center channel, and two very old Linear Phase Studio monitors 8820. I hear some people have good results with PSB Image or Paradigm, etc. but those are pricey. Thanks for any advice
post #7553 of 8872 Old 03-09-2012, 11:21 PM

Have you tried turning the EQ to Natural? It should tone down the highs some. Polks are considered bright by some and sound great with this receiver to my ears in my setup.
post #7554 of 8872 Old 03-09-2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trs79 View Post

Does anyone have advice on a good speakers to pair with these receivers? I've been using the AVR for a couple of weeks and I just can't get past a shrillness in the high frequencies. I've tried using the built in equalizer to no avail. It's starting to drive me nuts, not good for such an expensive receiver

I'm wondering if I need to finally upgrade my speakers, or would that even make a difference? Currently I'm using some very cheap Dayton audio b625's for surrounds, a Dayton Center channel, and two very old Linear Phase Studio monitors 8820. I hear some people have good results with PSB Image or Paradigm, etc. but those are pricey. Thanks for any advice

Try looking on the used market for some decent speakers. These receivers have a very detailed sound to them and mine shines with the ML Electrostats. As you are on a budget look first for replacing your fronts first.

Kefs work well with this receiver and you could find some decent ones used. Others here will have some great offerings and ideas as well. Best of luck in this.
post #7555 of 8872 Old 03-10-2012, 04:03 AM

Quote:

I suspect the problem is more with your speakers than with the (any) AVR. PSB and Paradigm are both great speakers and a good place to start. I happen to use NHT with my Yamaha and "shrillness" is not something I enjoy.

-Bob
post #7556 of 8872 Old 03-10-2012, 05:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

What is your budget? How big is the room? These two things will help others to give you good advice.
post #7557 of 8872 Old 03-10-2012, 09:11 AM

Hi guys, I finally got a RX-A1000. Wanted to know if there is an "auto surround" feature like in Pioneer? In Pioneer I would just set the receiver to Auto surround & it would select the appropriate decoder for the source; DTS HD, Dolby Dig etc. It would also display what it has selected.

I don't see any such thing with the Yamie. Am I missing something?
post #7558 of 8872 Old 03-10-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arshishb View Post

Hi guys, I finally got a RX-A1000. Wanted to know if there is an "auto surround" feature like in Pioneer? In Pioneer I would just set the receiver to Auto surround & it would select the appropriate decoder for the source; DTS HD, Dolby Dig etc. It would also display what it has selected.

I don't see any such thing with the Yamie. Am I missing something?

On my A700 I use straight decoding. I also set Info to show the audio decoder currently in use on the AVR display. This works fine for my BD player and the AVR seems to choose the appropriate decoding which I can verify on the AVR display. I do find one problem when using Straight for the connection to the cable box since it applies 2 channel stereo when you may want to use Dobly Prologic. In that case I pick Surround Decoder which will use Prologic for standard cable channels and auto switch to Dolby Digital when available on Hi-def channels.

-Bob
post #7559 of 8872 Old 03-10-2012, 01:21 PM

Hi I'm long time lurker here... but first time posting in a long time...

I picked up a demo rx-a1000 a couple weeks ago. Love it overall, but I'm going crazy trying to figure out if there's a way to "clean up" the Input choices displayed on the receiver. Marantz has 'delete source', Pioneer supports this too I believe.

I only have 2 HDMI connected devices (satellite box and blu-ray player), yet I have to scroll thru 7 AV inputs (actually many when including all. It seems to me this should be something that can be configured. I'd love it if I could clean the choices up to the point that only inputs that are in use exist.

Anyone know the trick or if this is even possible? I can't find anything in the manual after looking dozens of times. It'd be *really* nice to be able to get rid of 'preset' inputs like the Sirius input.

Thanks in advance!
Bob
post #7560 of 8872 Old 03-10-2012, 01:23 PM

Please help me!

My A3000 stopped to receive audio and video using HDMI after a storm/blackout. Any source or conector. I can send sound through coaxial and optical (probably analog too) and video using component. Nothing enters using HDMI.

HDMI output works on out 1 and out 2.

I've already reset it ("Iniatialize all" under advanced setup menu) and updated firware from 2.5 to 3.16. But problem still persists.

Did I burn my HDMI board? Why HDMI output still works? Any advice or idea?

I'm from Brazil, so take it to service isn't a option.

Thanks

Mauricio
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page