post #7891 of 8847 Old 05-06-2012, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous View Post

What model is your dtv receiver? Dtv pushed out another firmware release this morning for the hr23.

Hr23 or 22 I think. And ya I noticed yesterday. So far no issue.

Another issue though.
I want to have all channels at -10 on channel level except center channel at +10. I do this every night manually with the remote level button. How can I set it up so one button push does that? Someone long ago told me scene will do it but it will not. There's no way to set the channel level. I've tried it by having avr on av2 for my directv and setting the channel level and holding scene 2 button. It saves it but not the channel level. If I change level when I wake up back to normal scene 2 doesn't keep how I saved it next time I push it. I have even tried saving scene one as normal and scene 2 with the level adjusted. Nothing saves it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7892 of 8847 Old 05-06-2012, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs1a View Post

Hr23 or 22 I think. And ya I noticed yesterday. So far no issue.

Another issue though.
I want to have all channels at -10 on channel level except center channel at +10. I do this every night manually with the remote level button. How can I set it up so one button push does that? Someone long ago told me scene will do it but it will not. There's no way to set the channel level. I've tried it by having avr on av2 for my directv and setting the channel level and holding scene 2 button. It saves it but not the channel level. If I change level when I wake up back to normal scene 2 doesn't keep how I saved it next time I push it. I have even tried saving scene one as normal and scene 2 with the level adjusted. Nothing saves it.

Do you have memory write on or off in your menu? I can manually set my speaker levels, xover settings, etc and they stick if the receiver is put in standby.
post #7893 of 8847 Old 05-06-2012, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you have memory write on or off in your menu? I can manually set my speaker levels, xover settings, etc and they stick if the receiver is put in standby.

Memory Guard is off.
post #7894 of 8847 Old 05-08-2012, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hi -

I currently have an RX-A800 (the US model), that I've had for about a year. At the time I purchased it, cost was a major factor. I got a smokin' deal on it.

Now, I've run across a dealer demo RX-A3000, that probably could be had, all in, for about $500 over what I paid for the 800. (Total, snuggling up against the $1 K mark, Canadian) Also, as I bought my 800 from the US, from an unauthorized seller, but live in Canada, I've got bupkiss for a warranty - the 3000 would come with a full warranty - but, it's also not new. I could probably defray some of the cost by selling my 800, or just push it to another system.

Question is, considering these are both (about to be) 2 model years old, would it really be "worth" it for me to go to the 3000 now? Definitely, there are some more features, which is why I am thinking about it (more power, better YPAO, more zones, 9-channel pre-outs and better video scaling I believe), so I know it's better than the 800.

But, if I hold out for a couple more months (and/or go to the US) , I might be able to get a discounted/closeout 3010 for a couple hundred more again, and it would be new.

Or, I could even just wait and get a 3020 when they come out, but I expect this would be well beyond what I'm looking to invest in an AVR right now.

So, maybe my real question is whether the 3010 is THAT much better than the 3000?

I love it when a [HT] plan comes together!
post #7895 of 8847 Old 05-08-2012, 08:24 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2011 View Post

Hi -

I currently have an RX-A800 (the US model), that I've had for about a year. At the time I purchased it, cost was a major factor. I got a smokin' deal on it.

Now, I've run across a dealer demo RX-A3000, that probably could be had, all in, for about $500 over what I paid for the 800. (Total, snuggling up against the $1 K mark, Canadian) Also, as I bought my 800 from the US, from an unauthorized seller, but live in Canada, I've got bupkiss for a warranty - the 3000 would come with a full warranty - but, it's also not new. I could probably defray some of the cost by selling my 800, or just push it to another system.

Question is, considering these are both (about to be) 2 model years old, would it really be "worth" it for me to go to the 3000 now? Definitely, there are some more features, which is why I am thinking about it (more power, better YPAO, more zones, 9-channel pre-outs and better video scaling I believe), so I know it's better than the 800.

But, if I hold out for a couple more months (and/or go to the US) , I might be able to get a discounted/closeout 3010 for a couple hundred more again, and it would be new.

Or, I could even just wait and get a 3020 when they come out, but I expect this would be well beyond what I'm looking to invest in an AVR right now.

So, maybe my real question is whether the 3010 is THAT much better than the 3000?

the big differences (for me) between the 3000 and 3010 are the 3010's nine channels of amplification and that you can disable the on-screen volume on the 3010. The latter sounds dumb, but it is annoying IMO.

You didn't mention why the 3000/3010 is 'tastier' to you than your 800. YPAO is upgraded but you might be hard pressed to hear a difference. If more channels are desired, that's a big reason to upgrade. More power? Money might be spent better on an external amp.
post #7896 of 8847 Old 05-08-2012, 08:31 AM

Liked: 10
I have noticed that the pass thru on the A3010 allows for a much better picture on my Samsung 8000. When I use the 3010 the HD goes from Dynamic to oddly like "too much" color, contrast, etc. It is so bad we don't use it for anything but music now. Any thoughts? It is relatively new, about 90 days or so. Yamanah has been very helpful but no solutions. thanks
post #7897 of 8847 Old 05-08-2012, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackOften View Post

the big differences (for me) between the 3000 and 3010 are the 3010's nine channels of amplification and that you can disable the on-screen volume on the 3010. The latter sounds dumb, but it is annoying IMO.

I love everything about my RX-A3000, but changing the volume during a film with subtitles is an obnoxious affair.
post #7898 of 8847 Old 05-08-2012, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs1a View Post

There's no way to set the channel level. I've tried it by having avr on av2 for my directv and setting the channel level and holding scene 2 button. It saves it but not the channel level. If I change level when I wake up back to normal scene 2 doesn't keep how I saved it next time I push it. I have even tried saving scene one as normal and scene 2 with the level adjusted. Nothing saves it.

It's not entirely clear to me what exactly your problem is.

If you adjust the speaker levels manually then these changes should be remembered after you turn off the receiver and then turn it back on. If they're being reset every time you turn off receiver then something is wrong and your receiver may be defective. Try resetting the receiver back to factory defaults and see if after doing that it then remembers your speaker settings.

If the problem is that you're trying to use multiple speaker configurations and the receiver can only remember one of the them then there is a way the receiver can remember two different speaker configurations and switch between them.

First select speaker pattern 1 as the current speaker pattern ([On Screen] -> Setup -> Speaker -> Manual Setup -> Setting Pattern -> Pattern1). Then use YPAO and/or configure your speakers as you would normaly use them.

Next if you want to base your second speaker configuration on the first then copy pattern 1 to pattern 2 ([On Screen] -> Setup -> Speaker -> Manual Setup -> Setting Data Copy -> Pattern1 ► 2).

Then select pattern 2 as current ([On Screen] -> Setup -> Speaker -> Manual Setup -> Setting Pattern -> Pattern2) and configure your speakers in the alternate configuration you want to use.

You can then select either of these two patterns to be your current speaker configuration ([On Screen] -> Speaker -> Manual Setup -> Setting Pattern -> Pattern1/Pattern2). You can assign either of these two configurations to a Scene to make easier, but it's not as simple as holding down one of the scene buttons on the remote.

You first need to configure the scene you want to use so that the speaker configuration is remembered as being part of the scene ([On Screen] -> Scene -> -> [Up] -> Load -> Detail -> Speaker Setup). You can also use the Detail screen to select other things that are remembered by the scene, and you can also prevent things from being remembered. For example if you want to the scene button to only remember the speaker setup and not also change the input or anything else, then uncheck everything else on the list and only have Speaker Setup checked.

Now configure your receiver the way you want it for that scene. Remember to select the speaker pattern you want that scene to record. Then either hold down the scene button on the remote for three seconds or use the Scene menu to save it ([On Screen] -> Scene -> -> [Up] -> Save).

You should now have scene button on the remote that will switch to one of the two speaker patterns. You should repeat this for a second scene so you also have a way to quickly switch to the other speaker pattern.
post #7899 of 8847 Old 05-08-2012, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSwaim View Post

I have noticed that the pass thru on the A3010 allows for a much better picture on my Samsung 8000. When I use the 3010 the HD goes from Dynamic to oddly like "too much" color, contrast, etc. It is so bad we don't use it for anything but music now. Any thoughts? It is relatively new, about 90 days or so. Yamanah has been very helpful but no solutions. thanks

The RX-A3010 offers a number of different options for adjusting the picture, including saturation. Have you tried playing around with them? You should also be able to disable video processing entirely ([On Screen] -> Setup -> Video -> Processing -> Off) as well have it look the same as when its being passed through.
post #7900 of 8847 Old 05-08-2012, 11:54 AM

Thank you! I will give it a try!!
post #7901 of 8847 Old 05-08-2012, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Ridge View Post

If you adjust the speaker levels manually then these changes should be remembered after you turn off the receiver and then turn it back on. If they're being reset every time you turn off receiver then something is wrong and your receiver may be defective. Try resetting the receiver back to factory defaults and see if after doing that it then remembers your speaker settings.

If the problem is that you're trying to use multiple speaker configurations and the receiver can only remember one of the them then there is a way the receiver can remember two different speaker configurations and switch between them.

First select speaker pattern 1 as the current speaker pattern ([On Screen] -> Setup -> Speaker -> Manual Setup -> Setting Pattern -> Pattern1). Then use YPAO and/or configure your speakers as you would normaly use them.

Next if you want to base your second speaker configuration on the first then copy pattern 1 to pattern 2 ([On Screen] -> Setup -> Speaker -> Manual Setup -> Setting Data Copy -> Pattern1 ? 2).

Then select pattern 2 as current ([On Screen] -> Setup -> Speaker -> Manual Setup -> Setting Pattern -> Pattern2) and configure your speakers in the alternate configuration you want to use.

You can then select either of these two patterns to be your current speaker configuration ([On Screen] -> Speaker -> Manual Setup -> Setting Pattern -> Pattern1/Pattern2). You can assign either of these two configurations to a Scene to make easier, but it's not as simple as holding down one of the scene buttons on the remote.

You first need to configure the scene you want to use so that the speaker configuration is remembered as being part of the scene ([On Screen] -> Scene -> -> [Up] -> Load -> Detail -> Speaker Setup). You can also use the Detail screen to select other things that are remembered by the scene, and you can also prevent things from being remembered. For example if you want to the scene button to only remember the speaker setup and not also change the input or anything else, then uncheck everything else on the list and only have Speaker Setup checked.

Now configure your receiver the way you want it for that scene. Remember to select the speaker pattern you want that scene to record. Then either hold down the scene button on the remote for three seconds or use the Scene menu to save it ([On Screen] -> Scene -> -> [Up] -> Save).

You should now have scene button on the remote that will switch to one of the two speaker patterns. You should repeat this for a second scene so you also have a way to quickly switch to the other speaker pattern.

Thanks. Wow, complicated.
My issue was not about turning off the receiver because everything is fine there.

What I meant is I wanted to just hit a button to change to the channel levels I want when I go to bed. Then when I wake up push another button to go back to normal. So scene 1 is normal. Scene 2 has night time channel levels. It will be the same av2 input for directv. The only change is channel level.

I'll go try this after I wake up. I'm going to bed now.
post #7902 of 8847 Old 05-08-2012, 11:57 AM

I assume the saturation adjustment can be located the same way?

On an unrelated matter we have the 25th anniversary rock n roll hall of fame blu ray which has great video but the sound comes and goes like a bad connection. It is not disc and all other blu rays play great. Yamaha has not been able to solve that one either.
post #7903 of 8847 Old 05-08-2012, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackOften View Post

You didn't mention why the 3000/3010 is 'tastier' to you than your 800.

More channels is definitely the biggest draw. As noted, when I purchased the 800, $$ was a big factor - was trying to decide between the 800 and the 1000, and then got the huge deal on the 800.

I don't particularly need networking, or a ton of HDMI inputs, so at the time thought the 2000 and 3000 would be way overkill - and the wife would never have allowed the $.

But, now I've set up my main room with 7.1 (using the front presence), so I've got no channels left I've got an adjoining bonus (future games) room that is pre-wired for ceiling speakers, my main room is pre-wired for more speaker placements, and I am considering speakers on the patio - so I need (will need) more channels.

But, if stepping up, perhaps it just makes the most sense to go to the 3010, rather than the 3000, because then I could have up to 11.2 capability, not just 9.2. That might be the play, as the dealer doesn't seem overly motivated to move the 3000 demo I referred to in my post (read: won't really negotiate much on price). Not sure why I/anyone would pay over a grand for a 3000 that's been a demo for 18 months, when I could wait maybe 3-4 months and get a 3010 new for likely the same price when they start to clear out.

I love it when a [HT] plan comes together!
post #7904 of 8847 Old 05-08-2012, 12:19 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2011 View Post

More channels is definitely the biggest draw. As noted, when I purchased the 800, $$ was a big factor - was trying to decide between the 800 and the 1000, and then got the huge deal on the 800.

I don't particularly need networking, or a ton of HDMI inputs, so at the time thought the 2000 and 3000 would be way overkill - and the wife would never have allowed the $.

But, now I've set up my main room with 7.1 (using the front presence), so I've got no channels left I've got an adjoining bonus (future games) room that is pre-wired for ceiling speakers, my main room is pre-wired for more speaker placements, and I am considering speakers on the patio - so I need (will need) more channels.

But, if stepping up, perhaps it just makes the most sense to go to the 3010, rather than the 3000, because then I could have up to 11.2 capability, not just 9.2. That might be the play, as the dealer doesn't seem overly motivated to move the 3000 demo I referred to in my post (read: won't really negotiate much on price). Not sure why I/anyone would pay over a grand for a 3000 that's been a demo for 18 months, when I could wait maybe 3-4 months and get a 3010 new for likely the same price when they start to clear out.

I chose the A2010, because it has 9 channels of amplification and has the ability to control an iPod/iPhone via the USB port. I have a 6.1 speaker setup, and the 9-channel amp allowed me to drive my outdoor speakers without having an external amplifier. This allowed me to eliminate a piece of equipment from my A/V rack. I now have only three pieces of equipment: An HTPC (which serves as my BluRay player, DVR, etc, etc, etc), the AVR, and a turntable.

I love the ability to control this AVR from a smart phone or tablet... and the Ethernet control on the AVR, combined with EventGhost on the HTPC is awesome. I have my HTPC setup to make all the decisions regarding surround decoding mode, etc... so all I have to do is press a button on my Media Center remote... no macros on the remote that can get messed up if someone walks across the room, blocking the IR detectors on the equipment. This, of course, can be done on both the Ax000 and the Ax010 AVR's, but I just love this setup.
post #7905 of 8847 Old 05-08-2012, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Fwiw, the a3000 is also 11.2 capable.

post #7906 of 8847 Old 05-08-2012, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSwaim View Post

I assume the saturation adjustment can be located the same way?

Yah, select "On" instead of "Off" and you should see a number options for adjusting the picture.

Quote:

On an unrelated matter we have the 25th anniversary rock n roll hall of fame blu ray which has great video but the sound comes and goes like a bad connection. It is not disc and all other blu rays play great. Yamaha has not been able to solve that one either.

You can try having the Blu-Ray player do the DTS-HD decoding (or the receiver if it's the player currently doing it) and see if that fixes the problem. Pressing the Info on the receiver's remote will tell you which is doing the decoding. If it says the Audio Decoder is DTS-HD on the front panel then the receiver is decoding, if says PCM then the player is.
post #7907 of 8847 Old 05-08-2012, 12:51 PM

Great. Thank you again!
post #7908 of 8847 Old 05-08-2012, 02:24 PM

Liked: 28
Quote:

You can try having the Blu-Ray player do the DTS-HD decoding (or the receiver if it's the player currently doing it) and see if that fixes the problem. Pressing the Info on the receiver's remote will tell you which is doing the decoding. If it says the Audio Decoder is DTS-HD on the front panel then the receiver is decoding, if says PCM then the player is.

What if the receiver is playing an audio file (.flac for instance)? My RX-A1000 seems to display PCM for audio no matter what. Does this mean that the receiver is not actually doing the decoding? And does it matter anyway?
post #7909 of 8847 Old 05-08-2012, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracudaDelGato View Post

What if the receiver is playing an audio file (.flac for instance)? My RX-A1000 seems to display PCM for audio no matter what. Does this mean that the receiver is not actually doing the decoding? And does it matter anyway?

If it's on a USB storage device connected directly the receiver then it has to be the receiver doing the decoding. If it's being played over the network there's the possibilty its been transcoded into another format by the server.

When playing MP3 files over the network my receiver displays MP3 as the Audio Decoder. For PCM WAV files, or least for WAV files it supports, it displays PCM.

I don't have audio files in any other format or USB device to test with right now unfortunately.
post #7910 of 8847 Old 05-08-2012, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Aventages from the 710-3010 all support 24/96 .flac natively, so you can use attached storage to play them and let the receiver do the decoding. PCM usually shows up when the other device is doing the decoding. In the end it doesn't matter which is doing to decoding unless you're anal about which dac you would rather be using.
post #7911 of 8847 Old 05-08-2012, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Does anyone else have problems seeing FLAC files over UPnP server in the iPhone AV Controller app? I can see .mp3 files, .m4a files (even though it cant play them) but not .flac files.

Thanks!
post #7912 of 8847 Old 05-08-2012, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

The UPnP AV server needs to be able to recognize FLAC as a valid audio format. If it doesn't then it won't show files of this type to clients.
post #7913 of 8847 Old 05-08-2012, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kromkamp View Post

Does anyone else have problems seeing FLAC files over UPnP server in the iPhone AV Controller app? I can see .mp3 files, .m4a files (even though it cant play them) but not .flac files.

Thanks!

What software are you using to stream and did you install a plugin for flac support?
post #7914 of 8847 Old 05-08-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_danger View Post

I love everything about my RX-A3000, but changing the volume during a film with subtitles is an obnoxious affair.

I'm not sure if that was meant to mock, but if it was it was so well executed that I can't even be upset. Haha.

Just annoying when guests are over and they have to see me dinking with volume occasionally.
post #7915 of 8847 Old 05-08-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_danger View Post

Amen to that! I realy, realy hate the on-screen volume display of the A3000 since it always covers the subtitles/captions.

You'd think Yamaha should be able to release a new firmware to turn this annoyance off but they don'g bother.

Yes, I did complain to them about it.
post #7916 of 8847 Old 05-08-2012, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The UPnP AV server needs to be able to recognize FLAC as a valid audio format. If it doesn't then it won't show files of this type to clients.

Quote:

What software are you using to stream and did you install a plugin for flac support?

Thanks. I'm using a Popcorn Hour A-110 as the upnp server. This device supports FLAC using its built in interface - its possible I suppose that it can't stream them though.

On the other hand it does not support apple lossless M4A files but those show up (even if they are not playable)
post #7917 of 8847 Old 05-08-2012, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kromkamp View Post

Thanks. I'm using a Popcorn Hour A-110 as the upnp server. This device supports FLAC using its built in interface - its possible I suppose that it can't stream them though.

On the other hand it does not support apple lossless M4A files but those show up (even if they are not playable)

22. How do I play back FLAC using myiHome ver4.7?
You will have to edit the following XML files in myihome and add FLAC extension
C:\\Program Files\\myiHome\\webapps\\ROOT\\xml\\music.xml
C:\\Program Files\\myiHome\\webapps\\ROOT\\application\\music\\xml\\audi oext.xml

Source:

http://202.150.216.211/~admpch/support.html
post #7918 of 8847 Old 05-08-2012, 07:36 PM

Liked: 28
Quote:

If it's on a USB storage device connected directly the receiver then it has to be the receiver doing the decoding. If it's being played over the network there's the possibilty its been transcoded into another format by the server.

When playing MP3 files over the network my receiver displays MP3 as the Audio Decoder. For PCM WAV files, or least for WAV files it supports, it displays PCM.

I don't have audio files in any other format or USB device to test with right now unfortunately.

Quote:

Aventages from the 710-3010 all support 24/96 .flac natively, so you can use attached storage to play them and let the receiver do the decoding. PCM usually shows up when the other device is doing the decoding. In the end it doesn't matter which is doing to decoding unless you're anal about which dac you would rather be using.

Then it seems xbmc is doing the decoding. Funny HD audio bitstreaming works just fine for video, but not for audio files. The RX-A1000 should also be 24/96 capable according to the specs. I'm using this bitstream build of xbmc:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=121877
post #7919 of 8847 Old 05-08-2012, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

22. How do I play back FLAC using myiHome ver4.7?
You will have to edit the following XML files in myihome and add FLAC extension
C:\\Program Files\\myiHome\\webapps\\ROOT\\xml\\music.xml
C:\\Program Files\\myiHome\\webapps\\ROOT\\application\\music\\xml\\audi oext.xml

Source:

http://202.150.216.211/~admpch/support.html

myiHome is the PC-based server software that comes with Popcorn Hour. I don't think there is any way to modify the built-in uPnP server hosted in the Popcorn Hour itself.

The good news is there appears to be 3rd party uPnP server software (mediatomb) ported to the Popcorn Hour - I have installed it and it works well so far to stream FLAC to the Yamaha.

Thanks!
post #7920 of 8847 Old 05-08-2012, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Next if you want to base your second speaker configuration on the first then copy pattern 1 to pattern 2 ([On Screen] -> Setup -> Speaker -> Manual Setup -> Setting Data Copy -> Pattern1 ? 2).

Ross Ridge,

Thank you so very much. You made my day. I've wanted to do this since a few years ago and was hoping the A3000 could. It's complex for me and I've tried to figure it out before.

As a thank you,
Could I please send you my Digital Phase AP.5 speaker? Free. I only have one which works perfect and sounds awesome. The other one had its magnet break off the woofer so I threw it out. I'd be glad to give it to you and you could try to sell it for some cash or use it somewhere as a single speaker or anything.

Thanks so much.
Joe
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page