"Official" Yamaha RX-A1000/RX-A2000/RX-A3000 thread - Page 267 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #7981 of 8892 Old 05-19-2012, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Gents is there a way to remove my sub for 2-channel stereo listening easily? The 2ch Stereo setting seems to still have the sub going. I would like only to hear the 2 front speakers for true 2ch stereo. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7982 of 8892 Old 05-19-2012, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You may want to see if using the 'Pure Direct' listening mode removes the sub output. I know there should be a simple setting to do this, unfortunately I'm not in front of my system... -TD
post #7983 of 8892 Old 05-19-2012, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommylicious View Post

Gents is there a way to remove my sub for 2-channel stereo listening easily? The 2ch Stereo setting seems to still have the sub going. I would like only to hear the 2 front speakers for true 2ch stereo. Thanks.

I believe pure direct will remove it as long as the source music is 2ch stereo. When I listen to my iPod or cd's I only get stereo sound with no sub.
post #7984 of 8892 Old 05-19-2012, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd51 View Post

You may want to see if using the 'Pure Direct' listening mode removes the sub output. I know there should be a simple setting to do this, unfortunately I'm not in front of my system... -TD

I get 2.0 stereo no sub in pure direct mode on my end.
post #7985 of 8892 Old 05-19-2012, 07:17 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommylicious View Post

Are the front speakers set to small? If so, then the sub is going to work. If they are set to large, then the sub is not involved. "Pure Direct" should remove the sub as it cuts out the processing so the signal is not divided until the speaker crossovers are engaged.
post #7986 of 8892 Old 05-19-2012, 08:40 PM

Pure Direct did the trick hombres thank you.
post #7987 of 8892 Old 05-20-2012, 11:34 AM

Liked: 13
Hello all.

I have an A3000 and when I go into the Information menu, there's an exclamation point, which means there's a firmware update available. According to the System submenu within the Information menu, I currently have version 3.2.

I'm trying to update the firmware, but I'm having problems. Here's what I'm doing:
1. Put the receiver into standby mode.
2. Press the Straight and power button simultaneously which h enters Advanced Setup.
3. Press the Program button to get to the Firm Update submenu.
4. Press the Straight button once to toggle from USB to Network.
5. Without pressing anything else, I press the Info button on the AVR which enters the network update submenu.
6. I then get a message of Verifying...
7. After a few minutes, I get a message of update success please power off.
8. I press the power button to power off which puts me into standby mode.
9. I then press the power button again to power on.

When I go back to the System submenu within the Information menu, the version still says 3.20.

What am I doing wrong?

Samsung TV - PN59D8000 - wall mounted
HW50ES projector w/electric Elite 120" ceiling mounted screen (drops in front of plasma)
Receiver - Yamaha RX-A3000
Front Speakers - B&W CM9, Center - B&W CMC2, Surrounds - B&W CM5
SVS PB12+, SVS PB13 Ultra
post #7988 of 8892 Old 05-20-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Ridge View Post

I think it largely depends on the media server being able to understand the metadata and tell the receiver what it is. I'm using the default DLNA server built into Windows, so I can only see album art on my receiver that Windows Media Player can also see. My receiver doesn't display the album art that's in the format Sony's Media Go uses, presumably because Windows doesn't understand it.

Thanks for the media server suggestion. It hadn't occurred to me that the problem was on the server side. Now I just have to find the right server for my Mac! I've tried a couple since I posted, the latest attempt being XBMC, which was fine with the on-screen display except for one little detail: it doesn't seem to support track numbers. As a result, I found myself with six tracks called "Allegro" in a row, followed by five tracks called "Andante," ... I'll solve the FLAC metadata yet, I swear!
post #7989 of 8892 Old 05-20-2012, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 81
The current firmware for the RX-A3000 is 3.20 and I doubt Yahama is ever going to release a newer version.

I don't know why the exclamation mark showed up. If it's still there after you tried the updating the firmware you might want to contact Yamaha support and see if it could mean something else.
post #7990 of 8892 Old 05-22-2012, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Could someone explain the difference between EX/ES mode and PLIIx Music mode in the Extended Surround settings?
post #7991 of 8892 Old 05-22-2012, 09:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by kromkamp View Post

Could someone explain the difference between EX/ES mode and PLIIx Music mode in the Extended Surround settings?

It's the decoder to be applied. ES/EX applies the appropriate choice to the input. PLIIx applies that decoder to any input. ES/EX are generally 6.1, PLIIx is 7.1. There are other differences in the way each one matrixes the rear channel(s). Use whatever you like best.
post #7992 of 8892 Old 05-22-2012, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not sure I understand. PLIIx Music is 6.1, ES/EX is 6.1 - in what ways are these modes different from each other? Like are they different steering algos to derive the center channel? (If so, in what ways are they different)
post #7993 of 8892 Old 05-23-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:

I'm not sure I understand. PLIIx Music is 6.1, ES/EX is 6.1 - in what ways are these modes different from each other? Like are they different steering algos to derive the center channel? (If so, in what ways are they different)

dts uses the ES eg dts-ES and Dolby uses the EX eg. Dolby 5.1 EX
post #7994 of 8892 Old 05-23-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

But how is PLIIx Music different from either of those? And does ES/EX mode only generate a rear surround channel when it detects one is matrix mixed into the source?
post #7995 of 8892 Old 05-23-2012, 11:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

But how is PLIIx Music different from either of those? And does ES/EX mode only generate a rear surround channel when it detects one is matrix mixed into the source?

No. ES is applied to any DTS input and ES applied to DD. (These settings are only relevant to 5.1 inputs)

PLIIx is a 7.1 decoder that is applied to any 5.1 input. For info regarding the difference between PLIIx movie and music modes, consult the Dolby site
post #7996 of 8892 Old 05-23-2012, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

No. ES is applied to any DTS input and ES applied to DD. (These settings are only relevant to 5.1 inputs)

PLIIx is a 7.1 decoder that is applied to any 5.1 input. For info regarding the difference between PLIIx movie and music modes, consult the Dolby site

I think you meant ES is applied to any DTS input and EX applied to DD
post #7997 of 8892 Old 05-23-2012, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not sure I'm expressing my question correctly. Let me try again.

I have a 6.1 speaker system, so I could either use ES/EX mode or Dolby PLIIx Music mode in the Extended Surround settings. I want to decide which setting to use. How can I find out what the actual differences are between the two settings?

I don't really need to know the difference between ES and EX (because its the same setting in the receiver), or the difference between PLIIx Movie and PLIIx Music (because I have 6.1 speakers not 7.1 so I can't use PLIIx Movie anyways)

Quote:

No. ES is applied to any DTS input and EX applied to DD. (These settings are only relevant to 5.1 inputs)

Does ES/EX Extended Surround mode create a rear surround channel from any 5.1 DTS/DD soundtrack or only ones that contain the ES/EX digital flag?

Thanks!
post #7998 of 8892 Old 05-23-2012, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have a 6.1 speaker system, so I could either use ES/EX mode or Dolby PLIIx Music mode in the Extended Surround settings. I want to decide which setting to use. How can I find out what the actual differences are between the two settings?

I don't really need to know the difference between ES and EX (because its the same setting in the receiver), or the difference between PLIIx Movie and PLIIx Music (because I have 6.1 speakers not 7.1 so I can't use PLIIx Movie anyways)

Does ES/EX Extended Surround mode create a rear surround channel from any 5.1 DTS/DD soundtrack or only ones that contain the ES/EX digital flag?

Thanks!

My experience with ES/EX has been that a 5.1 source will output sound to all of my speakers in a 7.1 setup. I can't give you all the details about how it works because I don't know. What I can tell you is if I want sound out of all of my speakers, I select ES/EX. Hope that helps.
post #7999 of 8892 Old 05-23-2012, 02:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks!

ALL of the "Extended Surround" settings apply only to 5.1 inputs, hence the name. For stereo inputs you use the "decoder" button on the remote.

Use whichever you like best, most people prefer PLIIx with a 7.1 system. The differences may be subtle. Either will generate a 6.1 sound.
post #8000 of 8892 Old 05-23-2012, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

ALL of the "Extended Surround" settings apply only to 5.1 inputs, hence the name. For stereo inputs you use the "decoder" button on the remote.

Yes, but that too is not what I asked. I asked if it worked on ES/EX encoded/flagged 5.1 sources only. Pappaduke answered that it seems to work with all 5.1 material so that is good.

Quote:

Use whichever you like best, most people prefer PLIIx with a 7.1 system. The differences may be subtle. Either will generate a 6.1 sound.

Yes, I know I *can* use either one, but I wanted to know more about the difference between them.
post #8001 of 8892 Old 05-24-2012, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post

I didn't know that and would like to know how. Also, does that include the iTunes Internet radio stations?

Has anyone verified this? I turned on home sharing and I am able to see my iTunes library on my iPhone. However when I press the music note onthe Yamaha app it only allows me to select songs that are stored on my iPhone. I'm guessing you have iTunes match turned on and you have your entire library stored locally on the iPads

Mancave: UN46D7000, Onkyo 818, Mirage OMD-C1, OMD-5 (2), HSU STF-2, PS3, XBox360, Wii, DirecTV, AppleTV v2

Den: LG 55LX9500, Onkyo 709, Polk RC85i (3), Polk PSW10, DirecTV, AppleTV v3

post #8002 of 8892 Old 05-24-2012, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LansdaleHokie View Post

Has anyone verified this? I turned on home sharing and I am able to see my iTunes library on my iPhone. However when I press the music note onthe Yamaha app it only allows me to select songs that are stored on my iPhone. I'm guessing you have iTunes match turned on and you have your entire library stored locally on the iPads

I went back and looked at the original post and there was some confusion. I have my entire iTunes library on my iPad so that is my iTunes source for streaming. I not sure if you can play iTunes through your pc but I could be totally wrong on that. Let the experts chime in and correct me if I am wrong. Who knows, I might learn something.
post #8003 of 8892 Old 05-24-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post

I went back and looked at the original post and there was some confusion. I have my entire iTunes library on my iPad so that is my iTunes source for streaming. I not sure if you can play iTunes through your pc but I could be totally wrong on that. Let the experts chime in and correct me if I am wrong. Who knows, I might learn something.

I have home sharing turned on but the only tracks I get when pressing the music note button on the Yamaha app is what's stored locally on my device. Oh well.

Mancave: UN46D7000, Onkyo 818, Mirage OMD-C1, OMD-5 (2), HSU STF-2, PS3, XBox360, Wii, DirecTV, AppleTV v2

Den: LG 55LX9500, Onkyo 709, Polk RC85i (3), Polk PSW10, DirecTV, AppleTV v3

post #8004 of 8892 Old 05-25-2012, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Has anyone tried using ARC with their A3000 and the new Panasonic VT50? It works at first, but if I turn everything off and on again I get no audio. The A3000 has the "TV" logo on the OSD, indicating that it detects ARC, but the only way for me to get audio working again is if I turn ARC on and off in the A3000 and/or switch the TV audio input around from one back to the other.

It'll then work as expected until I turn everything on and off again. Any ideas?

Calibration Equipment:

Meters: X-rite i1 Pro 2, X-rite i1 Display Pro

Software: Spectracal Calman DIY, ControlCAL

Televisions:

Panasonic TC-P65VT50 (currently own)
Samsung UN55D8000 (returned) Calibration and Settings Thread

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #8005 of 8892 Old 05-25-2012, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Ok. The problem is back on my A3000 after DirecTV updated their it ware again a couple days ago.

Today I got no on screen vol again and had to shut off receiver and back on was ok. But the GUI is all messed up again like the resolution is broken. Directv had new firmware a couple weeks ago and I never had this issue till now. Directv updated firmware again couple days ago and now the problem is back.

I called directv today and spoke to tech support. He didn't have a clue what the problem is even though I told him 4 times he still didn't get it. Then he said he can send a tech but it'd cost me money. That set me off calling him an idiot and I said I wasn't going to pay anything. This only happened when directv updated thir firmware so it's their fault. The issue is in the directv receiver. Told him to transfer me to his supervisor. Told supervisor of problem and he said, well you have o call yamaha. I told him its not my problem. This only happened when directv updated thir firmware and I don't have any problem on any other input, source etc. it's only with directv. He said you can call yamaha. We did this 4 times. I finally said don't you get it? Are you hearing me? It's a directv issue. Why do you keep saying call Yamaha? He said I keep saying that till you listen to me.

So I went off on him cursing at him, raising my voice and then said cancel my account and hung up on him. My account is fine though still.

I was so full of rage.
post #8006 of 8892 Old 05-25-2012, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 81
You still might want to contact Yamaha about it this. It might not be their fault but its possible that this is a known issue to them and that they know of some way of mitigating the problem.
post #8007 of 8892 Old 05-25-2012, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Just happened again. Everything was normal. Changed tv channel and the picture had a weird line in the picture when it changed channels. You turn channel and get black screen waiting for it to load the new channel. In the black it was something, dunno how to describe. When new channel loaded I turned up the volume and it wasn't there. I opened the Yamaha GUI and it opened all screwed up flickering etc. I took pic of it and of my GUI when it's normal. Someone earlier in this thread posted a pic too.

I then turned tv off and on and problem went away. Changed channels and the thing in the black screen wasn't there. Everything normal. If I would have turned off then on the yamaha it would have gotten normal again.

But this is only when directv changed firmware.

Here's one good picture and one not normal.
LL
LL
post #8008 of 8892 Old 05-25-2012, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Dtv pushed some bs update a few days ago. I've not experienced any probs with their updates until the one on Wednesday morning. It causes my tv to display no input signal error. This is Infact a problem with the firmware and they won't address it until a week or two. I have to shut off the receiver and turn it back on.
post #8009 of 8892 Old 05-26-2012, 07:37 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous View Post

Dtv pushed some bs update a few days ago. I've not experienced any probs with their updates until the one on Wednesday morning. It causes my tv to display no input signal error. This is Infact a problem with the firmware and they won't address it until a week or two. I have to shut off the receiver and turn it back on.

Same. Thought my DTV receiver was biting the bullet until I read this. I often have to turn the DTV receiver off and on again a few times until a picture shows up.

I wouldn't have cussed the DTV guy out like the guy above this post though. The mere thought of having cable again sends me into a nervous sweat
post #8010 of 8892 Old 05-26-2012, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I have not much control over my anger. Getting better but sill trying.

Now I get briefly this tv doesn't support this resolution or something while the directv changes programs.

I have it on battle of the bulge right now. Play cars which is recorded. Hit prev to go back to live tv and the GUI is messed up on receiver. I can get this reliably when switching between movies. Also I notice the tv says something during the program switch. I see some words because it's shaking and blurry and only shows for not even a second. I see these words, this tv doesn't support the resolution or similar. This appears during the program switch in the black screen. Res is 1080i and the tv actually supports all resolutions up to 1080p.

So this just shows me again this is a directv firmware problem. But they won't do anything so I'm lost for what to do except maybe go buy a new receiver which I do want to some time.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page