"Official" Yamaha RX-A1000/RX-A2000/RX-A3000 thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
First ... 26  27  28 29  30  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > "Official" Yamaha RX-A1000/RX-A2000/RX-A3000 thread
bustamelon's Avatar bustamelon 11:40 PM 10-08-2010
Updated the firmware on my 2000 tonight, from 1.14 to 2.05, but couldn't find any info on what it contains. There are definitely some gremlins in this thing that I hope have been fixed. Not seeing them so far, but would love to know what the fixes are. Anyone know where the secret magical doc is? Yamaha website somewhere? Haven't found anything.

Squishy Tia's Avatar Squishy Tia 11:51 PM 10-08-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustamelon View Post

Updated the firmware on my 2000 tonight, from 1.14 to 2.05, but couldn't find any info on what it contains. There are definitely some gremlins in this thing that I hope have been fixed. Not seeing them so far, but would love to know what the fixes are. Anyone know where the secret magical doc is? Yamaha website somewhere? Haven't found anything.

I completed the survey oh Yamaha's siite and emphatically told them that a) forcing email for manual d/ls is absurd, and b) no firmware info or downloadable file for use via usb stick = doubly absurd.

And to update a previous post: I paid newegg's current price, $100 less than MSRP, contrary to what I thought before. I still wish I'd gotten the dock newegg was bundling instead of the wireless dock, but meh, can't be choosy, ya know?

Edit: Still nobody with info on the DACs in use compared to the 3067 model? Anybody? I can't even open my own box due to the broken finger bit...
Squishy Tia's Avatar Squishy Tia 04:12 AM 10-09-2010
$500 promo gift card for those purchasing the A3000 from newegg - ends 10/10. I just saw this. Great way to get a "free" BD player or a new graphics card for your gaming rig that'll get hooked up to this thing.

Grab'em while it's hot!
MichaelJHuman's Avatar MichaelJHuman 04:38 AM 10-09-2010
As for DACs, Yamaha has been using the same DAC for many years in their higher end models. I think it's been the Bur Brown 1791. Maybe we will get access to service manuals on some of these Aventage models, be very interesting to see how the current higher end Aventage model circuitry looks.
TuenMuner's Avatar TuenMuner 05:57 AM 10-09-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

As for DACs, Yamaha has been using the same DAC for many years in their higher end models. I think it's been the Bur Brown 1791. Maybe we will get access to service manuals on some of these Aventage models, be very interesting to see how the current higher end Aventage model circuitry looks.

1067 - PCM1789×4
2067 - PCM1781×2 + PCM1789×4
3067 - DSD1791×2 + DSD1796×4

Source: http://www.stereosound.co.jp/hivi/hd...dle_class.html
spturtle's Avatar spturtle 06:41 AM 10-09-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

The RX-V3067 has TI DSD1796 DACs according to the NPB. IMHO this means the RX-A3000 also has those DACs because they appear to be the same receivers with only cosmetic differences.

On this note, the 2.0.5 firmware for V3067 (A3000), V2067 (A2000) and V1067 (A1000) is available from
http://download.yamaha.com/top/?site...om&language=de . Instructions are provided separately on the download page but the only description of changes (for 3xxx) is "This firmware improves the stability of operation." .
This website is also available in english from uk.yamaha.com but then of these 3 receivers only the RX-V1067 (RX-A1000) is listed.
spturtle's Avatar spturtle 06:47 AM 10-09-2010
kriktsemaj99's Avatar kriktsemaj99 07:56 AM 10-09-2010
I don't like the first restriction on the download page:
"You may not engage in reverse engineering, disassembly, decompilation or otherwise deriving a source code form of the SOFTWARE by any method whatsoever." Where's the fun in that?
Squishy Tia's Avatar Squishy Tia 08:02 AM 10-09-2010
To the above few posts: I already knew which DACs these xx67 models used, it's the Ax00 models I was asking about in comparison to the aforementioned models.

I'm kinda bummed that I've read that the old way of selecting an audio component for listening while a video component is displaying is no longer available. It sure seems that we've traded one set of conveniences for quite another this go-around.
Old School's Avatar Old School 08:14 AM 10-09-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy Tia View Post

I'm kinda bummed that I've read that the old way of selecting an audio component for listening while a video component is displaying is no longer available.

I don't see the big deal in going into the GUI and clicking a few buttons to change it, the ability is still there.

EDIT: Then again with your finger those extra clicks ARE a big deal.
paligap's Avatar paligap 09:06 AM 10-09-2010
Does the A2000 decode HDCD and DSD?
Cleverland's Avatar Cleverland 10:03 AM 10-09-2010
Quote:

$500 promo gift card for those purchasing the A3000 from newegg - ends 10/10. I just saw this. Great way to get a "free" BD player or a new graphics card for your gaming rig that'll get hooked up to this thing.

Grab'em while it's hot!

Hey thanks for the heads up on this. Was going to wait till next month but since I need a 3D Bluray player and some accessories for my XBOX 360 this should work out great for me. Order is in, now the wait for delivery!!! I ordered the RXA3000 but I noticed that they have the same deal on the 2000 and similar deal on the 1000!!!!!
Squishy Tia's Avatar Squishy Tia 10:18 AM 10-09-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post

I don't see the big deal in going into the GUI and clicking a few buttons to change it, the ability is still there.

EDIT: Then again with your finger those extra clicks ARE a big deal.

I change inputs multiple times daily. Trust me, it would get uber annoying to dig through the menus to do something I can already do in two button presses. Sorta like how it is now when I engage/disengage AMP on my Samsung TV, and have to literally wait almost 40 seconds to go through the HTR-5860's menus and then scroll (yes SCROLL) from 0 to 100/vice versa to adjust the audio delay to match the video output.
Elkhunter's Avatar Elkhunter 10:22 AM 10-09-2010
My RX-A3000:

In posts here, I had read about the volume's black background bar, but I didn't realize that it would be this HUGE!!!

On my 159" HP screen, the black bar is 7'-2" wide!!! I want an on-screen volume display, but this bar is unacceptable to me. It's too distracting.

The front panel display can be dimmed, but not completely turned off. This is unacceptable in my bat cave. I shouldn't have to put tape on my new AVR.

The Vida's auto settings isn't a plus with HD. While it highlights the image, fine details are lost. I haven't tried the manual settings yet, or SD (note that the RX-A2000 only has the auto settings).

I had no issues with my TiVo S-3s during a quick check. I'll watch some more recorded HDTV shows tonight to be sure.

After two hours of ownership, I'm not a happy camper with Yamaha's RX-A3000.

I'm starting to think that its Denon and Darbee Visual Presence (DVP) for my $$$$.
unxpectederror's Avatar unxpectederror 10:35 AM 10-09-2010
Quote:

I change inputs multiple times daily. Trust me, it would get uber annoying to dig through the menus to do something I can already do in two button presses. Sorta like how it is now when I engage/disengage AMP on my Samsung TV, and have to literally wait almost 40 seconds to go through the HTR-5860's menus and then scroll (yes SCROLL) from 0 to 100/vice versa to adjust the audio delay to match the video output.

You can do it in one button press now using the scene functions once youve setup the scene.
kriktsemaj99's Avatar kriktsemaj99 10:47 AM 10-09-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhunter View Post

On my 159" HP screen, the black bar is 7'-2" wide!!! I want an on-screen volume display, but this bar is unacceptable to me. It's too distracting.

when you mentioned your 159" screen I was going to say that the black bar would be about 7' wide, but I thought I'd wait to see if it bothered you.

This is one of those things that may need an organized campaign to get it fixed. Why doesn't it work like it did on the 3900/Z7 which has an on/off selection? While they're at it they should add an option to reposition it so it doesn't crap on subtitles or closed captions.

Unfortunately I think people who can't stand the volume overlay will just swap the A3000 for another brand rather than wait in hope for a fix that may not come. I could live with the other small annoyances like no more system memories, but I couldn't use an A3000 in a dedicated theatre room with the forced volume overlay.
Invictus87's Avatar Invictus87 01:47 PM 10-09-2010
Quote:

My RX-A3000:

In posts here, I had read about the volume's black background bar, but I didn't realize that it would be this HUGE!!!

The front panel display can be dimmed, but not completely turned off. This is unacceptable in my bat cave. I shouldn't have to put tape on my new AVR.

The Vida's auto settings isn't a plus with HD. While it highlights the image, fine details are lost. I haven't tried the manual settings yet, or SD (note that the RX-A2000 only has the auto settings).

I had no issues with my TiVo S-3s during a quick check. I'll watch some more recorded HDTV shows tonight to be sure.

I'm starting to think that its Denon and Darbee Visual Presence (DVP) for my $$$$.

I'm curious, obviously the large black volume overlay is distracting and unappealing to most I was just wondering how long the display lingers on the screen after the volume has been adjusted. If the volume display disappears rather quickly it may be enough to mitigate the horror of its grandiose nature for me.
TKO1's Avatar TKO1 01:51 PM 10-09-2010
Does anyone know if the A2000 has a setting to increase the LFE channel when using the analog inputs?

Using my Oppo BDP-83 analog outputs I can increase my input signal by 10dB on my Pioneer and was hoping I could do the same on the Yamaha.

From Oppo's FAQ: http://wiki.oppodigital.com/index.ph...P-83_Audio_FAQ

Quote:

The OPPO outputs analog LFE -10db when speakers are set to large and -15db when any speakers are set to small.

With analog, the user needs to apply the 10db or 15db boost in his receiver or at the sub itself. Unlike digital, where the AVR software applies the needed boost, most receivers do not do this by default with analog. It's up to the user to apply it himself.

Any information greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Monger10's Avatar Monger10 01:53 PM 10-09-2010
Quote:

My RX-A3000:

Thanks for the update Elkhunter. That sucks you are not pleased with the purchase. I' ve heard the volume is hideous.
Invictus87's Avatar Invictus87 02:03 PM 10-09-2010
Quote:

Also, with regards to the Vida chip, I was glancing at the manual and it appears that you can disable processing entirely for an incoming source and just pass it through. As most of my sources are HD/HDMI I would not want any processing being done on them. Were these negative results occurring with the processing on/off? I would certainly hope that with processing off that the picture would not change in any way, and definitely not in a negative way.
muad'dib's Avatar muad'dib 02:04 PM 10-09-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO1 View Post

Does anyone know if the A2000 has a setting to increase the LFE channel when using the analog inputs?

Using my Oppo BDP-83 analog outputs I can increase my input signal by 10dB on my Pioneer and was hoping I could do the same on the Yamaha.

From Oppo's FAQ: http://wiki.oppodigital.com/index.ph...P-83_Audio_FAQ

Any information greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Just curious as to why you are using analogue connections since the yamaha can do bitstream ? And in my system actually sounds better even though it should not
valerianf's Avatar valerianf 02:06 PM 10-09-2010
Could somebody post a picture of this awfull OSD volume bar?
Its is the same trouble with all the Avantage serie models?
TKO1's Avatar TKO1 03:00 PM 10-09-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by muad'dib View Post

Just curious as to why you are using analogue connections since the yamaha can do bitstream ? And in my system actually sounds better even though it should not

The sound quality on my Pioneer differs from analogue to HDMI. Pure direct analogue is significantly better sounding than the HDMI inputs even when I turn off all processing. My pioneer does bitstream and DSD with SACD but the analogue from my Oppo is much better. And my Pioneer is a THX ultra receiver VSX 1030 which is pretty good.

Cheers.
Old School's Avatar Old School 03:18 PM 10-09-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by valerianf View Post

Could somebody post a picture of this awfull OSD volume bar?
Its is the same trouble with all the Avantage serie models?

In my mind people are making WAAAAAY too big of a deal out of this. Everyone has their preference, and I respect that, but to me people are freaking out a bit too much. The bar disappears within like 2, maybe 3 seconds. Maybe Yamaha could consider changing it with a software update if it's bothering this many people. Someone already posted a picture of the volume bar earlier in this thread HERE.
valerianf's Avatar valerianf 03:32 PM 10-09-2010
Thanks Old School.
I have read the manual of the A1000, and it seems that the OSD could be set to off.
Could someone confirm that the Vol bar disapears in that case?

I have an old Yamaha RX-V1400, and an OSD on/off button is present on the remote.
It is easy to satisfy everybody.
rdgrimes's Avatar rdgrimes 04:11 PM 10-09-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO1 View Post

The sound quality on my Pioneer differs from analogue to HDMI. Pure direct analogue is significantly better sounding than the HDMI inputs

This is a pretty good indication that there's something very wrong with the setup on the AVR. Turning OFF all processing should not be the way to improve the AQ.
TKO1's Avatar TKO1 04:20 PM 10-09-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

This is a pretty good indication that there's something very wrong with the setup on the AVR. Turning OFF all processing should not be the way to improve the AQ.

I agree wholeheartedly. I have a pretty good system so I can rule out all other components. One of the reasons I am looking at picking up a new AVR. My only hesitation right now is that I don't want to replace my Pioneer with another AVR that basically provides me the same sound quality.

The Pioneer documentation states:
Quote:

Using the Stream Direct modules when you want to hear the truest possible reproduction of a source. All unnecessary signal processing is bypassed, and you're left with the pure analog or digital sound source.

See: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/St...ctions0523.pdf (page 38) for the same text from their Elite SC07 AVR.

Cheers.
dakar80124's Avatar dakar80124 04:57 PM 10-09-2010
I don't like the volume display either. It is completely unnecessary. The receiver has a big display and I don't need to see it on the tv. And that black bar is really unnecessary.

Something else that I don't like, the mute button. on my old receiver I could set the mute to reduce the volume by -20, the A3000 does not have that option.
paligap's Avatar paligap 05:21 PM 10-09-2010
To each his own, I guess. I remember reading many posts about these units and others where people didn't understand why a volume display on the TV was not included. You can't please everybody.

Now, can anybody tell me whether the A2000 decodes HDCD or DSD?

Thanks
TKO1's Avatar TKO1 06:06 PM 10-09-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by paligap View Post

To each his own, I guess. I remember reading many posts about these units and others where people didn't understand why a volume display on the TV was not included. You can't please everybody.

Now, can anybody tell me whether the A2000 decodes HDCD or DSD?

Thanks

Hi

According to the manual it does DSD 6 ch. It doesn't look like it does HDCD.

Cheers. M
First ... 26  27  28 29  30  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop