post #8701 of 8888 Old 11-17-2013, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by certenlynow View Post

Really wanted to get RXA1000, but I'm afraid it's a little too pricey.

I am thinking of going with the 800 series...I think the big thing I lose is the network capability, but honestly I don't know that I would use it.

We generally just use it for movies/TV and music listening.

For an average user, can anyone come up with compelling reasons to spend the extra $300?
BcF6ID

I 3rd it. I bought the Ax000 specifically because it was first in network capability. This was 3 years ago and my friends still have no similar interface.

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8702 of 8888 Old 11-17-2013, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 20
4th'd

If you have any digital music anywhere in your house, you'll want the network capabilities.
If you have an iphone or ipad, you can browse the music on that device and play it through the receiver. At least my A2000 can do that, I assume the 1000 can.

I got my A2000 used for about the same price as I would pay for a decent entry level receiver with network capabilities, maybe a bit more. It was definitely worth it.
post #8703 of 8888 Old 11-19-2013, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest261 View Post

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone plugged a new PS4 into your RX-A3000? I'm running into a strange issue with DTS turned on. Audio in games tends to cut out after about 30 mins of use. If I look at the A3000's OSD, it's flickering between modes. Restarting the PS4 clears up the issue. A3000 is on the latest firmware.

Anyone running into a similar issue? Hoping it's just a SW/FW issue on the PS4's part.

I have the PS4 into my A2000 and am using linear PCM. I don't understand what situation would cause a user to need to send the encoded (DolbyHD/DTS-HD) instead of Linear PCM.
I have had zero audio drop outs on the PS4...wish I could say everything else about it was smooth sailing.

post #8704 of 8888 Old 11-19-2013, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8 View Post

I don't understand what situation would cause a user to need to send the encoded (DolbyHD/DTS-HD) instead of Linear PCM.

Pure ignorance. I didn't really understand what PCM was, except that the old adage that it shouldn't be used due to a 2.0 downsample over optical. Those days are long-gone w/ HDMI audio. Didn't realize that until very recently.

Calibration Equipment:

Meters: X-rite i1 Pro 2, X-rite i1 Display Pro

Software: Spectracal Calman DIY, ControlCAL

Televisions:

Panasonic TC-P65VT50 (currently own)
Samsung UN55D8000 (returned) Calibration and Settings Thread

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #8705 of 8888 Old 11-19-2013, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I love my RX-A3000, which is connected to a Sony XBR2 LCD. Recently, though, when I change the volume the OSD volume display is corrupted, and it leaves a multicolored garbled rectangle on the bottom center-right of the screen until the unit is shut down. Has anyone else experienced this?
post #8706 of 8888 Old 11-19-2013, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 81
You can try unplugging the receiver for a few seconds and see if it fixes the problem.
post #8707 of 8888 Old 11-24-2013, 04:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry If this has been answered - I have searched this thread as best I could.

I have an RX-3067 (A3000) with an LCD TV on HDMI out 1 and an ageing but loved Sim2 HT300 Link on HDMI out 2.

When watching movies on the Sim2, we get a big "blink" (signal dropout) after a few minutes and again after a few more minutes. Then no more problems.

I am fairly convinced this is caused by the LCD on HDMI out 1 entering different stages of sleep, creating a handshake spasm in the avr.

Has anyone else encountered this? Is there a fix via HDMI settings on the avr or tv? We mostly use the projector - would assigning the PJ to HDMI 1 help? It would be a bit out a job pulling everything out so looking for some previous experience before I try.

Thanks in advance.
post #8708 of 8888 Old 12-16-2013, 06:31 PM

Liked: 11
Hi,

I have a RX A3000 receiver. I apologize if theses questions have been answered before, but I haven't been able to find them. I updated my Receiver last weekend and I'm still getting the message that a new version is available on my screen everytime I turn the unit on when it has been off for a while. I believe I am on 3.43 and it still keeps telling me I need to upgrade? Any idea why it is doing this? The on screen menu for yes or no I can't find anyway to acknowledge? I haven't figured out how to fix it other than turning the receiver off and back on again. It's pretty annoying. Yes I have the receiver connected to a switch on my network and connected to the internet.

Also I can't log into Pandora. I have an account and I can log in just fine on the PC. Do I have to create a separate account for the receiver?

Every time I listen to internet radio a timer starts running. It seems that every station I listen to at some point stops playing. I don't understand why it won't just continue playing until I stop it?

I love the receiver, would just like to fix a few of these issues.

Thanks,

Bill
post #8709 of 8888 Old 12-16-2013, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not sure what you can do about the fact that it keeps bugging you to update your receiver. Mine doesn't do that and it's not running the current firmware. Are you unplugging it from the wall or otherwise disconnecting it from mains power?

You don't need a seperate account for Pandora. If you need to reenter your account information I think you reset the password stored on the machine through the advanced setup menu.

If you're getting disconnected from normal Internet radio stations then it'll be either because you temporily lost Internet connectivity or the Internet radio station on the other end disconnected you. They'll do this after long periods on the assumption that you're probably not listening anymore, but they still have to pay for Internet bandwith and music royalties.
post #8710 of 8888 Old 12-17-2013, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by in3rtia View Post

4th'd

If you have any digital music anywhere in your house, you'll want the network capabilities.
If you have an iphone or ipad, you can browse the music on that device and play it through the receiver. At least my A2000 can do that, I assume the 1000 can.

I got my A2000 used for about the same price as I would pay for a decent entry level receiver with network capabilities, maybe a bit more. It was definitely worth it.

Same here, I got the A2000 used for the same price as a new 820. I am so glad I did. I use the network features constantly. I remember my brother telling me that it was a gimmick, and I would use it for a month and get bored, but the fact that I can dial in any source to any zone with my smartphone encourages me to use my stereo so much more than I have in the past. The digital music enhancer actually works as well, the improvement to the music is substantial, making all that digital music even more enjoyable to listen to.
post #8711 of 8888 Old 12-17-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billlh View Post

Hi,

I have a RX A3000 receiver. I apologize if theses questions have been answered before, but I haven't been able to find them. I updated my Receiver last weekend and I'm still getting the message that a new version is available on my screen everytime I turn the unit on when it has been off for a while. I believe I am on 3.43 and it still keeps telling me I need to upgrade? Any idea why it is doing this? The on screen menu for yes or no I can't find anyway to acknowledge? I haven't figured out how to fix it other than turning the receiver off and back on again. It's pretty annoying. Yes I have the receiver connected to a switch on my network and connected to the internet.

Also I can't log into Pandora. I have an account and I can log in just fine on the PC. Do I have to create a separate account for the receiver?

Every time I listen to internet radio a timer starts running. It seems that every station I listen to at some point stops playing. I don't understand why it won't just continue playing until I stop it?

Thanks,

Bill

I use the same account for Pandora, and fortunately none of my internet radio will time out; not even Pandora. I do know that every time I have to change those settings, I need my manual. I love this receiver, but the advanced settings are not very intuitive, and I also wish the smartphone app allowed more access to the advanced settings.
post #8712 of 8888 Old 12-17-2013, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcollns View Post

I use the same account for Pandora, and fortunately none of my internet radio will time out; not even Pandora. I do know that every time I have to change those settings, I need my manual. I love this receiver, but the advanced settings are not very intuitive, and I also wish the smartphone app allowed more access to the advanced settings.

It's been awhile since I've used the smartphone app. Do you know if they fixed the bug where you can't toggle through the various surround modes?

"The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow."
post #8713 of 8888 Old 12-17-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post

It's been awhile since I've used the smartphone app. Do you know if they fixed the bug where you can't toggle through the various surround modes?

The surround modes and soundfields work fine for me, I tend not to change them often though. I actually hate that the real remote has them on the big buttons mirroring the volume. I wish those controlled radio stations and TV channels, and the surround modes were controlled by the arrows down below that are grouped near the individual surround mode buttons, or even move all those behind the door, and put the numbers on the front. I basically set my inputs to a specific surround mode once and almost never change them again.

My only complaints about the phone app:
- The lack of advanced settings. Most settings are there and are easier to use than the on screen settings, but some of the most advanced settings are just not there.
- The radio stations in the presets don't show numbers or call signs. It just shows the number of the preset until you tap on it. This drives me batty.
I am sure there are other features that could be included, but these are the only things I would actually say they got totally wrong.
post #8714 of 8888 Old 12-17-2013, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

You might want to search for the Receiver Manager sofware buried somewhere in this thread. It won't run on your smartphone, but you can use it on a Windows PC to do advanced setup of your receiver.
post #8715 of 8888 Old 12-17-2013, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
The button for Surround on the Yamaha remote toggles between the various modes: i.e. DPLIIx Movie, DPLIIx Music, etc. Whereas the button on the iPad app doesn't do anything and the receiver stays on whatever Surround Mode you used.

"The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow."
post #8716 of 8888 Old 12-17-2013, 01:50 PM

I have the Android app, so maybe that is the difference. I hit DSP along the bottom row, and it shows a screen with an icon for every soundfield as well as all of the surround modes. Interesting note on the Receiver Manager software because we also have a Windows Tablet, so that could be very nice.
post #8717 of 8888 Old 12-17-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Ridge View Post

I'm not sure what you can do about the fact that it keeps bugging you to update your receiver. Mine doesn't do that and it's not running the current firmware. Are you unplugging it from the wall or otherwise disconnecting it from mains power?

You don't need a seperate account for Pandora. If you need to reenter your account information I think you reset the password stored on the machine through the advanced setup menu.

If you're getting disconnected from normal Internet radio stations then it'll be either because you temporily lost Internet connectivity or the Internet radio station on the other end disconnected you. They'll do this after long periods on the assumption that you're probably not listening anymore, but they still have to pay for Internet bandwith and music royalties.

I'm not disconnecting the receiver from power. But it bugs me everytime I turn it on and worse, their appears to be no way to answer the yes or no question on the screen. So I have to shut it off and turn it back on and it's fine until the next time it's off for some indeterminate amount of time. It's more annoying than anything else and yes I'm on 3.43.

I'll have to look into resetting the password in advanced setting I didn't see it there.

Well I'm on cable so I don't think I am losing internet connectivity but there is now way to know for sure. makes sense that they would throw you off I suppose.
post #8718 of 8888 Old 12-17-2013, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I'm not disconnecting the receiver from power. But it bugs me everytime I turn it on and worse, their appears to be no way to answer the yes or no question on the screen. So I have to shut it off and turn it back on and it's fine until the next time it's off for some indeterminate amount of time. It's more annoying than anything else and yes I'm on 3.43.

I'll have to look into resetting the password in advanced setting I didn't see it there.

Well I'm on cable so I don't think I am losing internet connectivity but there is now way to know for sure. makes sense that they would throw you off I suppose.
Maybe you should try unplugging it for a hard reset. It resolves some other bugs reported earlier in the column. Just a shot in the dark.
post #8719 of 8888 Old 12-17-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfox View Post

Maybe you should try unplugging it for a hard reset. It resolves some other bugs reported earlier in the column. Just a shot in the dark.

Hadn't thought of that I suppose its worth a shot. Will I lose any settings doing that? Trying to think what i have that could be lost not really sure.
post #8720 of 8888 Old 12-18-2013, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post

The button for Surround on the Yamaha remote toggles between the various modes: i.e. DPLIIx Movie, DPLIIx Music, etc. Whereas the button on the iPad app doesn't do anything and the receiver stays on whatever Surround Mode you used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcollns View Post

I have the Android app, so maybe that is the difference. I hit DSP along the bottom row, and it shows a screen with an icon for every soundfield as well as all of the surround modes. Interesting note on the Receiver Manager software because we also have a Windows Tablet, so that could be very nice.

It is not different than the android app.
See what snowghost just wrote, there are probably many many people that don't know to flip up the remote cover, tap on the "surround" button and you will see on the front LCD that it toggles through the various "surround" DSPs that are available as branched options under "Surrounnd;" specifically: DPLIIx Movie, DPLIIx Music, Neo 6, and a few others.

That is the ONLY DSP with branched options below it. All the other DSPs are a single mode. Now, open the app and pressing the "surround" DSP does not mimic the surround button on the hard remote. I have always been perplexed why that wasn't fixed in the app. I have to pull out the hard remote from the drawer a few times a year to press that button.

Quote:

Hadn't thought of that I suppose its worth a shot. Will I lose any settings doing that? Trying to think what i have that could be lost not really sure.
No, you will not lose any settings.

post #8721 of 8888 Old 12-20-2013, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I recently had the same issue with my 3000. I could get the multicolored trash to go away if I called up the 3000's menu display. Any change to the volume caused the same corruption to occur and I needed to display the menu and then exit the menu each time. I upgraded to the newest firmware and that seems to have fixed the problem permanently.
post #8722 of 8888 Old 12-28-2013, 10:54 AM

Anyone else having problems with firmware updates? To be specific my receiver keeps telling me there is an update available, every time I turn the damn thing on! Which wouldn't be so bad if you could actually acknowledge it with the remote. But you can't, I have to turn the unit off and then back on again to get rid of the message. This is driving me nuts ( I know it's a short drive smile.gif). Anyway is their a solution to this? I'm running the latest firmware. I've updated it over the internet. I just tried updating it again over the internet and it tells me I have the latest software. Yet this continues to happen every time the receiver is off for any length of time it tells me their is an update available. I tried unplugging the unit for a few minutes that doesn't fix the issue either. So far I like everything else about the receiver but this is driving me crazy. It wouldn't be so bad if you could just click on yes or no that is displayed on the screen but nothing I've been able to find on either remote satisfies that onscreen question and gets rid of the message. And the damn thing is right in the middle of the screen!. Guys I need help here!

Thanks,

Bill
post #8723 of 8888 Old 12-28-2013, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:

Hi,

Thanks,

Bill

Perhaps there's an upgrade flag that's stuck in the software. Try a factory reset, then check to see if it still pesters you. From there, reinstall the factory upgrade.
post #8724 of 8888 Old 01-01-2014, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Have any of you paid for an audio calibration?

I asked for a calibration on my HW50ES projector, and the guy also suggested an audio calibration.

I provided a list of my equipment, which includes the RX-A3000 with YPAO and 2 subs, and the guy said I'd probably notice a larger difference after an audio calibration than the projector calibration. BTW, my projector's lamp has around 120 hours on it.

Just want to know if he's being straight, as the projector calibration is $450 and audio is another $250. The guy, I think, posts on AVS sometimes.

Samsung TV - PN59D8000 - wall mounted
HW50ES projector w/electric Elite 120" ceiling mounted screen (drops in front of plasma)
Receiver - Yamaha RX-A3000
Front Speakers - B&W CM9, Center - B&W CMC2, Surrounds - B&W CM5
SVS PB12+, SVS PB13 Ultra
post #8725 of 8888 Old 01-03-2014, 12:13 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I'm currently looking at the A-S2000 as it has an excellent phono stage but also to use it with my SACD/CD player and vintage tuner.

I plan on using this to drive my front speakers and my Hi-Fi setup, but because there are no dealers within 50 miles and because this isn't something I would be purchasing until after I get the CX-A5000 what would you rate the sound? 

post #8726 of 8888 Old 01-21-2014, 04:21 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Please forgive me if I have done this wrong and tell me proper procedure.

I have a Yamaha RX a2000 which in the last week has begun to act as if some one has randomly changed settings. I live alone so this is unlikely. What I would like to do is to reset the receiver to all default settings. I have searched the manual and this thread without success. would some some one be so kind as to tell me how to do this?
post #8727 of 8888 Old 01-21-2014, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 174
If you haven't tried it already, the first thing I would do is power the unit off for a few seconds, then back on (you have to pull the plug, because the "power" button only puts it in standby mode).

If that doesn't fix the problem, you need to go into the Advanced Setup Menu as described on page 139 of the A2000 manual (it requires a special combination of button presses on the unit itself, not on the remote control). Once in the Advanced Setup Menu, go to INITIALIZE and then choose ALL.
uriah likes this.
post #8728 of 8888 Old 01-21-2014, 10:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm not sure if this has been asked yet, but have any of the firmware updates updated the UI to be 1080p? It looks funky having a 720p scaled volume bar on my screen when using my Hackwell Pro (it's the newest item listed in my gear as Fortress Haximus). It is only cosmetic, but it's be nice to have clear UI elements. I'm kind of OCD that way. Of course I'd kill for the bar to not be there at all and just the text, but I'm sure Yamaha abandoned all real updates to this thing long ago. Kind of like how Apple abandones OSes on a yearly basis.

When a Priest says they're going to Flash you, it isn't for healing.

post #8729 of 8888 Old 01-21-2014, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

The UI is actually rendered at 480p, and no this hasn't been changed even in the 2013 models. It probably would take more than a firmware update to implement as well.
post #8730 of 8888 Old 01-22-2014, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Thanks for the info. I will give that a try tomorrow PM. Another issue which has become more of a problem is that both the Yamaha and Samsung (TV) remotes conflict. When I press a button on the Yamaha remote it changes the TV. How can I change things so the remotes do not conflict?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page