post #8791 of 8888 Old 05-09-2014, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfox View Post

Has anyone lost the ability of the Yamaha iphone based control ap to find their receiver on their LAN? I had to manually enter its IP address to reestablish control.

UPDATE: I ran into the same problem. Not a coincidence that I updated the app. I'm going to roll it back since I keep a copy of all important iOS apps.
It's a bugger. It wouldn't find my A2000 until I turned it on with the power button.

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8792 of 8888 Old 05-09-2014, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusj50 View Post

I had a problem yesterday with my A2000 that I was hoping someone could provide some advice on.

We were watching Frozen, daughter’s birthday party, on Blue Ray with my Yamaha BD-A1010. The problem I had was that I could not get the audio to output to the L and R Surround Back Speakers in my 7.1 set up. The indicator lights on the front panel of the A2000 would only show the 5.1 setup and all those speakers received their audio signals perfectly.

The BD Player’s on screen display showed that it was outputting “DTS-HD Master Audio – 7.1” and the A2000 was set to “Straight” which I thought would pass the signal right through to ALL the speakers. I use an HDMI cable from the Blue Ray to the A2000. Also, I have the “Power Amp Assign” Speaker Set Up set to “7ch+1 Zone”, not sure if that matters or not.

Things I tried:
• Switching from “Straight” to other sound field effects including 7-channel stereo, which worked fine in all 7 speakers, and “Sur-Decode” modes.
• Tried using another Blue Ray, Tangled , which was also outputting in “DTS-HD Master Audio – 7.1”.
• Switched the BD audio output to other formats like Spanish, French, etc. and the audio from the speakers changed accordingly.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how this can be corrected so that the A2000 will output 7.1?
Are there other settings I can try on the A2000?
Is there a way to verify what signal format the A2000 is receiving from the BD player or if it is being additionally processed at the A2000?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Maybe I misunderstood, but you mentioned "7ch+1 Zone". Was the additional zone turned on or active? If so, I believe that limits the A2000 to 5 channels in the main zone since it can only power 7 total speakers.

post #8793 of 8888 Old 05-09-2014, 06:22 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8 View Post

UPDATE: I ran into the same problem. Not a coincidence that I updated the app. I'm going to roll it back since I keep a copy of all important iOS apps.
It's a bugger. It wouldn't find my A2000 until I turned it on with the power button.

Just a thought but is Network Standby turned on in the setup? I think this is needed to keep the A2000 connected to the network. I haven't had any problem with the app in finding the AVR with the latest update.
post #8794 of 8888 Old 05-12-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daring Dude View Post

Maybe I misunderstood, but you mentioned "7ch+1 Zone". Was the additional zone turned on or active? If so, I believe that limits the A2000 to 5 channels in the main zone since it can only power 7 total speakers.

Thank you for the reply. I was just mentioning that I had it set to “7ch+1 Zone. But I did not have the other zone turned on at the time.

However, I think I finally figured it out. I went to the set up menu on the receiver and looked at the “Audio Signal” under “Information” while playing the movie Frozen with the audio output from the BD player set to “dts-HD Master Audio-7.1”. The manual said that this portion of the setup menu, “Displays information on the current audio signal.”

Here is what it returned:
Format – “DTS”
Sampling – 48kHz
Channel – 3/2/0.1
Bitrate – 1536kbps
Dialogue – 0dB

The definition from the manual for “Channel” was as follows, “The number of source channels in the input signal (front/surround/LFE). For example, a multi-channel soundtrack with 3 front channels, 2 surround channels and LFE is displayed as “3/2/0.1”.” All this was straight forward.

However, underneath this in the footnote section it had the following:

“Some high-definition audio bitstream contents may not include the discrete surround back left and right channel signals, but are encoded at a sampling rate of 192 kHz.” I didn’t think this had anything to do with my problem. However, the next footnote said:

“Even when direct bitstream output settings are applied, some players convert the Dolby TrueHD or Dolby Digital Plus bitstreams to the Dolby Digital bitstreams, while converting DTS-HD Master Audio or DTS-HD High Resolution Audio bitstreams to DTS bitstreams.” All of this was on pg. 127 of the manual.

Then I was off to my BD Player manual which is a Yamaha BD-A1010. Basically it noted that if the HDMI audio output was set to “Reencode” that it would output DTS-HD Master Audio tracks containing “Secondary Audio-SA” or “Button Click Sounds-BCS” as DTS only. If no SA or BCS were present then DTS-HD Master Audio would be output. My player was set to “Reencode” and therefore was outputting “DTS” only. Once I changed the setting to “Bitstream” the problem was fixed and all 7.1 channels were now being broadcast and noted on the receiver’s front display.

A simple fix that took too long to figure out.
post #8795 of 8888 Old 05-13-2014, 01:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yeah, unless your player (a PS3 in most cases) self converts to PCM first, you want the setting to be bitstream or else you won't get TrueHD or DTS-HD audio, you'll get the lossy core DTS/Dolby Digital or sometimes something worse.

When a Priest says they're going to Flash you, it isn't for healing.

post #8796 of 8888 Old 05-14-2014, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
My newest issue is that I cannot put an audio CD in my bluray player to listen to in zone 2 or 3 without turning on party mode and sending the music to all zones even when the other zones are powered down. It is the only input that seems affected. I think it had worked in the past, but I would have only tried it with the main set to bluray as well (AV1). I am using the optical feed. Has anyone had a similar issue?
post #8797 of 8888 Old 05-14-2014, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusj50 View Post

A simple fix that took too long to figure out.

Kudos Marcus on due diligence.
Your workflow educated you, too bad it was lengthy.

The issue you experienced is extremely common with different receivers using different sources including game consoles.
And almost every time (especially with the RX-Ax000 series) it's not the receiver but the source.
As I read your second sentence I knew it'd be your source's output.

post #8798 of 8888 Old 05-14-2014, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfrench View Post

Just a thought but is Network Standby turned on in the setup? I think this is needed to keep the A2000 connected to the network. I haven't had any problem with the app in finding the AVR with the latest update.

It's possible it was my phone, going from 4G to home wifi. That seemed to be the commonality of the 2 previous connectivity problems. I actually haven't tested it since and did not roll back the app yet.
I haven't changed the Network Standby setting since installing the AVR 3 years ago so it's not that, but it did indeed act like that function was turned off.

post #8799 of 8888 Old 05-14-2014, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcollns View Post

My newest issue is that I cannot put an audio CD in my bluray player to listen to in zone 2 or 3 without turning on party mode and sending the music to all zones even when the other zones are powered down. It is the only input that seems affected. I think it had worked in the past, but I would have only tried it with the main set to bluray as well (AV1). I am using the optical feed. Has anyone had a similar issue?

Digital inputs (e.g. HDMI or optical) can't be sent to other zones (except in party mode).
post #8800 of 8888 Old 05-14-2014, 07:42 PM

The HDMI from my computer works perfectly. I can send that to any zone. I was under the impression that digital inputs could go anywhere as long as you only used one at a time since there was only one DAC.
post #8801 of 8888 Old 05-14-2014, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcollns View Post

The HDMI from my computer works perfectly. I can send that to any zone. I was under the impression that digital inputs could go anywhere as long as you only used one at a time since there was only one DAC.

Are you in the right thread? Because what was posted above you is absolutely correct for the threads model.

post #8802 of 8888 Old 05-15-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8 View Post

Are you in the right thread? Because what was posted above you is absolutely correct for the threads model.

Yeah, I have the RX-A2000. Maybe I need to double check my connections, perhaps I have an analog connection run too. That could probably get me around the blu-ray issue. However, I also listen to Pandora in every zone independantly, and obviously that is digital.
post #8803 of 8888 Old 05-15-2014, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Network connections such as Pandora all work in other zones, it's sources with their own digital inputs that don't.

If it's audio CDs that you specifically want in another zone then an analog cable will solve the problelm, as will ripping all your CDs to network storage.
post #8804 of 8888 Old 05-18-2014, 06:56 AM

[SIZE=3
]I have a Yamaha RXA 3000 and think it is developing a few problems. Any advice welcome before I take it in for warranty repairs.
I have owned this unit for 3 years,
I run an OPPO 83 as a source DVD Blu ray player
Last year when I selected setup it did not display on TV, I tried it several times over a week and it was not visible. I had made no wiring or other changes before or after. Then for no apparent reason it began working normally and the on screen display has been working perfectly ever since.
The receiver randomly decides to switch itself off, sometimes 3-4 times in the same day, then works perfectly for months. Last month it turned itself off once, after running for 4 hours on low playing 7 channel stereo internet radio via an Apple TV.
I currently have some of my equipment in storage, so have the A3000 powering front L and R speakers and (centre and surrounds L and R) running through a power amp. I have the front presence and back surrounds all set at -10 under the speaker manual setup.
I watched half a movie last night and it was a Dolby digital 5.1 DVD. The receiver was set to Movie Sci Fi, and I also have subs on mono into a DsSpeaker antimode 8033 with 4 large subwoofers. The Yamaha displayed PCM on its display screen and I thought the bass was lacking. Tonight I finished the movie, same settings, but this time the Yamaha displayed Dolby digital and there was more bass.
It is common for the Yamaha to display PCM on its display when I am watching a dolby digital 5.1 source. Often displays decoder off when movies are starting or finishing.
It also seems to lack a little volume at times and I usually run the Yamaha at -13 on volume control for normal movie use, and sometimes at -10,but I do have it in a room of 150 cubic metres

Thanks for any suggestions

Kevin
[/SIZE]
post #8805 of 8888 Old 05-22-2014, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Anyone know of a good way to rackmount my RX-A3000? I know I could just put it on a shelf, but I was curious is there was a way to flush-mount it into my 19" rack.
post #8806 of 8888 Old 05-24-2014, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 75
yep..custom order a rack kit from a middleatlantic.com dealer.....pricey, but has that factory look..that is what I do for all my gear.

http://www.middleatlantic.com/resources/rsh-lookup.aspx

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #8807 of 8888 Old 05-30-2014, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Does anyone here know what a Yamaha 3000 receiver in great condition with original box and all accessories is worth? I bought one for my father 2 years ago for s system and he wants to buy a zvox sound bar instead. My mother can never figure out how to usr the system.

Dan Webster
Never stop upgrading!

Updated Theater Pictures

post #8808 of 8888 Old 05-30-2014, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan webster View Post

Does anyone here know what a Yamaha 3000 receiver in great condition with original box and all accessories is worth? I bought one for my father 2 years ago for s system and he wants to buy a zvox sound bar instead. My mother can never figure out how to usr the system.

Check eBay or the classifieds here at AVS and see what they have sold for.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #8809 of 8888 Old 06-03-2014, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan webster View Post

You can get them brand new in the box for $800-1,000, but you can also often find feature-comparable units (Burr-Brown, 2+ zones, 4K) several generations newer go on sale for around $500-700. Nothing under $1,000 matches its power output though. Be happy if you get between $500 and $900... That's why I'll probably never sell mine - I wouldn't be happy.
post #8810 of 8888 Old 06-03-2014, 06:29 PM

I know someone with a RX-A3000 which has a non-functional headphone output, any rough idea on how much it would usually cost to have the headphone output fixed?

Yamaha RX-V671 receiver
Infinity Beta 5.1
Samsung UN55FH6200F (Costco) LCD TV
post #8811 of 8888 Old 06-08-2014, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoboy View Post

I know someone with a RX-A3000 which has a non-functional headphone output, any rough idea on how much it would usually cost to have the headphone output fixed?

That's going to depend on a few factors: Where the problem actually lies (is it in the circuitry, the power supply, or a physical break in the jack's connection to the PCB?), and whether or not the unit is still under warranty.

post #8812 of 8888 Old 06-08-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy Tia View Post

That's going to depend on a few factors: Where the problem actually lies (is it in the circuitry, the power supply, or a physical break in the jack's connection to the PCB?), and whether or not the unit is still under warranty.

Everything else works on the A3000.
Just wondering if there is any common issues (known problems) with the Yamaha headphone jack.

Yamaha RX-V671 receiver
Infinity Beta 5.1
Samsung UN55FH6200F (Costco) LCD TV
post #8813 of 8888 Old 06-08-2014, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just wondering if there is any common issues (known problems) with the Yamaha headphone jack.

To the best of my knowledge, there isn't a known defect with the headphone jacks. I've had several come loose over the years on both PCs and AVRs though from repeated use. For some reason, little quality goes into making these jacks, despite the fact that many of us do use them.

post #8814 of 8888 Old 06-08-2014, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy Tia View Post

To the best of my knowledge, there isn't a known defect with the headphone jacks. I've had several come loose over the years on both PCs and AVRs though from repeated use. For some reason, little quality goes into making these jacks, despite the fact that many of us do use them.

I have used my jack more than the average user I suspect and it's seems solid.
But I can fathom a few circumstances that would cause it to fail, mostly from the user's mistake or accident.

post #8815 of 8888 Old 06-15-2014, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
So I have a 7.2 setup I've ran YPAO setup and made some manual changes like setting all speakers to small and 80HZ. However i find my setup lacking some ooomph in the bass department if I leave it the way YPAO leaves it. I find myself raising the db in manual setup by at least 5. Any advice? I have a SVS PB10-NSD and a Polk DSW PRO 600

thanks
post #8816 of 8888 Old 06-16-2014, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I boost my subs by as much as 10db. YPAO level matches your subs with your mains, and the LFE track in movies requires a 10db boost in the sub department.
post #8817 of 8888 Old 06-16-2014, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

The receiver handles the 10dB boost automatically for the LFE track. But some people boost the sub level because they prefer it.
post #8818 of 8888 Old 06-16-2014, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 20
My mistake, I didn't realize it was automatic
post #8819 of 8888 Old 06-16-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleon621 View Post
So I have a 7.2 setup I've ran YPAO setup and made some manual changes like setting all speakers to small and 80HZ. However i find my setup lacking some ooomph in the bass department if I leave it the way YPAO leaves it. I find myself raising the db in manual setup by at least 5. Any advice? I have a SVS PB10-NSD and a Polk DSW PRO 600

thanks
I have the same problem, but I have full size speakers with no sub. I compared side to side with a Sony ES model, and I could clearly tell that music was stellar with the sound quality, but didn't have the oopmh.

I went into the receiver manager software, and boosted first two bands of the parametric EQ while listening to a bass heavy music track. I set the levels so that it sounds natural with the bass set to 0dB, and if I want a big kick, I can crank it up to 6dB. I can now happily say that I am 100% satisfied with the sound.
post #8820 of 8888 Old 06-17-2014, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
The receiver handles the 10dB boost automatically for the LFE track. But some people boost the sub level because they prefer it.
All this time I thought the LFE track itself was boosted. Or was that only with previous DTS tracks? (thus, an effective 20dB boost)

EDIT: that said, my computer setup has a Rel Q201E hooked up. On the back it has two low-level ports: 0dB and +12dB. So if the LFE track is boosted, the receiver is boosted, and I'm using the +12dB port... BOOM!

Last edited by nathanddrews; 06-17-2014 at 01:07 PM.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page