"Official" Yamaha RX-A1000/RX-A2000/RX-A3000 thread - Page 296 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8851 of 8872 Old 08-04-2014, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a sony xbrx900 as my tv and I now use netflix..youtube..etc on the tv itself now..

After a year ive decided I want to have my avr output the sound of the tv itself and I have connected the optical cable from the tv to the avr..

Its been ages since ive tinkered with my avr and do not know how to set a scene so it just uses the optical cord for sound but video input as neutral as im using the tv netflix as my source....

Help

Thank You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8852 of 8872 Old 08-05-2014, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by burts View Post
I have a sony xbrx900 as my tv and I now use netflix..youtube..etc on the tv itself now..

After a year ive decided I want to have my avr output the sound of the tv itself and I have connected the optical cable from the tv to the avr..

Its been ages since ive tinkered with my avr and do not know how to set a scene so it just uses the optical cord for sound but video input as neutral as im using the tv netflix as my source....

Help

Thank You
In your specific case, change AVR to the optical input, simply hold down the scene button.
I recommend adjust the power-on volume of the AVR, I set mine to -50dB so I never get blasted.
post #8853 of 8872 Old 08-05-2014, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Guys,

I'm a tad stumped on this one. I've had the RX-A2000 for a while now; and have had most everything worked out nicely.

I have a PC with a Creative SoundBlaster Card; and I had a small Samsung HTiB that I was using with my PC for Audio/Speakers. The SoundCard has a TOSLink Optical output which I was connecting to my Samsung HTiB TOSLink Optical input in order to receive 6 channel surround sound. It worked just fine. The Samsung HTiB was able to decode your basic DTS & Dolby Digital (Not the HD audio formats like DTS-HD MA, TrueHD, etc), so whenever I played media with DTS or Dolby Digital, the relevant logo would pop up on that letting me know the format was being decoded (Similar to the RX-A2000 receiver which tells us which format is being decoded in the front). And when I played games with 5.1 audio, you could hear all 6 channels in use.

I had to move the Samsung HTiB to a different room, so I decided to run a long TOSLink Optical cable from my PC to the RX-A2000; I connected the cable in the number "3" TOSLink Optical input port on the back; and under the "FUNCTION" menu of the "SETUP" menu, under "INPUT ASSIGNMENT", I assigned that number "3" optical port to "AUDIO 1".

After selecting AUDIO 1 on my receiver, i'm able to receive & hear sounds from my PC using Receiver and the attached speakers.

But here's the issue: I'm only getting basic STEREO on the receiver; not multi-channel surround sound. It only displays "PCM" and displays the "L" and "R" channels in the corner.

I have the Sound Program set as "STRAIGHT" and I do have Extended Surround set to the "PLII Music" (for 5.1 -> 7.1, which is what I use for my HTPC as well). However, I play the exact same media with DTS or Dolby Digital, and yet I continue to get 2 Channel Stereo on the receiver.

If I unplug the TOSLink out of the RX-A2000 and bring it into the Samsung HTiB, the "DTS" or "Dolby Digital" logo pops up depending on the format being decoded; so it's not my PC or the Creative SoundBlaster.

I also noticed, the sound is literally coming from only the LEFT & RIGHT speakers; however, with the Samsung HTiB, if I play a game with 5.1 surround, I do hear sound from all 6 channels.

Somehow multi-channel is not working with the RX-A2000 receiver, but it is with my old, basic Samsung HTiB.

What am I doing wrong here? Any way to fix this so I can get all the multi-channel formats decoded by the Receiver?

Thanks guys!!

PS: A small note; this PC is separate from the HTPC. The HTPC uses an HDMI cable into the receiver; this PC is a work/gaming PC, only connects via TOSLink Optical.

7.1: Polk RTi12 Fronts, RTi8 Surrounds, Monitor70 Surround Backs, CSi A6 Center + Outlaw LFM-1 EX Subwoofer.
Yamaha RX-A2000 AVR
Epson 5010 3D Projector
Intel Sandy Bridge 3D HTPC / Blu-ray Player

Last edited by mickey79; 08-05-2014 at 08:32 AM.
post #8854 of 8872 Old 08-05-2014, 11:14 PM

Liked: 11
ways and means

Quote:
Originally Posted by burts View Post

Help

Thank You

This is not what you asked but may accomplish what you wish to do.

http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/...JE4BKf%26s%3d1
post #8855 of 8872 Old 08-07-2014, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uriah View Post
This is not what you asked but may accomplish what you wish to do.

http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/...JE4BKf%26s%3d1
Thanks, it worked, after numerous posts throughout 8 months real information....Guess i can unhook that optical cable i painstakingly hooked up
post #8856 of 8872 Old 08-07-2014, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey79 View Post
Guys,

I'm a tad stumped on this one. I've had the RX-A2000 for a while now; and have had most everything worked out nicely.

I have a PC with a Creative SoundBlaster Card; and I had a small Samsung HTiB that I was using with my PC for Audio/Speakers. The SoundCard has a TOSLink Optical output which I was connecting to my Samsung HTiB TOSLink Optical input in order to receive 6 channel surround sound. It worked just fine. The Samsung HTiB was able to decode your basic DTS & Dolby Digital (Not the HD audio formats like DTS-HD MA, TrueHD, etc), so whenever I played media with DTS or Dolby Digital, the relevant logo would pop up on that letting me know the format was being decoded (Similar to the RX-A2000 receiver which tells us which format is being decoded in the front). And when I played games with 5.1 audio, you could hear all 6 channels in use.

I had to move the Samsung HTiB to a different room, so I decided to run a long TOSLink Optical cable from my PC to the RX-A2000; I connected the cable in the number "3" TOSLink Optical input port on the back; and under the "FUNCTION" menu of the "SETUP" menu, under "INPUT ASSIGNMENT", I assigned that number "3" optical port to "AUDIO 1".

After selecting AUDIO 1 on my receiver, i'm able to receive & hear sounds from my PC using Receiver and the attached speakers.

But here's the issue: I'm only getting basic STEREO on the receiver; not multi-channel surround sound. It only displays "PCM" and displays the "L" and "R" channels in the corner.

I have the Sound Program set as "STRAIGHT" and I do have Extended Surround set to the "PLII Music" (for 5.1 -> 7.1, which is what I use for my HTPC as well). However, I play the exact same media with DTS or Dolby Digital, and yet I continue to get 2 Channel Stereo on the receiver.

If I unplug the TOSLink out of the RX-A2000 and bring it into the Samsung HTiB, the "DTS" or "Dolby Digital" logo pops up depending on the format being decoded; so it's not my PC or the Creative SoundBlaster.

I also noticed, the sound is literally coming from only the LEFT & RIGHT speakers; however, with the Samsung HTiB, if I play a game with 5.1 surround, I do hear sound from all 6 channels.

Somehow multi-channel is not working with the RX-A2000 receiver, but it is with my old, basic Samsung HTiB.

What am I doing wrong here? Any way to fix this so I can get all the multi-channel formats decoded by the Receiver?

Thanks guys!!

PS: A small note; this PC is separate from the HTPC. The HTPC uses an HDMI cable into the receiver; this PC is a work/gaming PC, only connects via TOSLink Optical.
Anyone?

7.1: Polk RTi12 Fronts, RTi8 Surrounds, Monitor70 Surround Backs, CSi A6 Center + Outlaw LFM-1 EX Subwoofer.
Yamaha RX-A2000 AVR
Epson 5010 3D Projector
post #8857 of 8872 Old 08-07-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 154
^ I don't see how it can be a receiver problem because it simply plays whatever the source sends it. If it says it's getting PCM then you must be sending it PCM.
post #8858 of 8872 Old 08-09-2014, 09:05 PM

Question

Quote:
Anyone?
I am assuming that you can not direct your sound card to your hdmi outputs as frequently sound cards have an internal cable allowing you to do so. Such was the case with an antique sound blaster card. I no longer game so I am not up on current cards. If so that could clear up your problem. Also there is the option of another htib. I did a quick eBay scan and saw several at low price.

How long is the optical cable?

Last edited by uriah; 08-09-2014 at 09:28 PM. Reason: misread problem
post #8859 of 8872 Old 08-11-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uriah View Post
I am assuming that you can not direct your sound card to your hdmi outputs as frequently sound cards have an internal cable allowing you to do so. Such was the case with an antique sound blaster card. I no longer game so I am not up on current cards. If so that could clear up your problem. Also there is the option of another htib. I did a quick eBay scan and saw several at low price.

How long is the optical cable?
Thanks for your reply.

I do have an update on the situation. The receiver is actually receiving & playing back DTS & Dolby Digital in multi-channel when I play media in MPC-HC or any other media player! The relevant logos & channels light up in the front of the RX-A2000 when I play a movie or any media that has multi-channel audio.

I honestly don't know why it wasn't before & all of a sudden is, but I can't complain.

However, I'm still not getting multi-channel audio when I play Games which do have multi-channel audio. So in other words, media player like MPC-HC or TotalMedia are indeed sending multi-channel audio formats like DTS & Dolby to the RX-A2000; but games are not sending multi-channel audio.

I no longer believe this is a fault in the RX-A2000. I do believe now it is on the PC side.

I don't know what I have to do to send multi-channel audio from Games though. I thought it should happen all by itself. In the Audio settings of these games, I'm definitely selecting multi-channel audio, like 5.1 or 7.1, but I'm still only seeing "PCM" and "L" & "R" light up on the receiver, which tells me it's only receiving Left/Right stereo audio.

To answer your questions; the TOSLink Optical cable is 50ft.
I wouldn't be interested in replacing the receiver as the receiver itself works great and is part of my Home Theater setup. My PC's audio signal is a secondary objective here; I wouldn't change my primary home theater setup for this.

I'd love to find out how to make the Games send multi-channel signal to the receiver now, since other media is sending it without issues.

Thanks.

Yamaha RX-A2000 AVR
Epson 5010 3D Projector
post #8860 of 8872 Old 08-12-2014, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for your reply.

I do have an update on the situation. The receiver is actually receiving & playing back DTS & Dolby Digital in multi-channel when I play media in MPC-HC or any other media player! The relevant logos & channels light up in the front of the RX-A2000 when I play a movie or any media that has multi-channel audio.

I honestly don't know why it wasn't before & all of a sudden is, but I can't complain.

However, I'm still not getting multi-channel audio when I play Games which do have multi-channel audio. So in other words, media player like MPC-HC or TotalMedia are indeed sending multi-channel audio formats like DTS & Dolby to the RX-A2000; but games are not sending multi-channel audio.

I no longer believe this is a fault in the RX-A2000. I do believe now it is on the PC side.

I don't know what I have to do to send multi-channel audio from Games though. I thought it should happen all by itself. In the Audio settings of these games, I'm definitely selecting multi-channel audio, like 5.1 or 7.1, but I'm still only seeing "PCM" and "L" & "R" light up on the receiver, which tells me it's only receiving Left/Right stereo audio.

To answer your questions; the TOSLink Optical cable is 50ft.
I wouldn't be interested in replacing the receiver as the receiver itself works great and is part of my Home Theater setup. My PC's audio signal is a secondary objective here; I wouldn't change my primary home theater setup for this.

I'd love to find out how to make the Games send multi-channel signal to the receiver now, since other media is sending it without issues.

Thanks.

The above is resolved!

You have to use a Decoder (Dolby or DTS) under the "Cinematic" tab in Sound Studio Pro (software that comes with Sound Blaster Z) and switch the default device to "Speakers" as opposed to "SPDIF", which is very counter-intuitive since I'm actually using SPDIF and not Speakers. However, it works. Multi-channel audio passes through SPDIF to the receiver for everything from Games, Media to PC Sounds.

One drawback is I'm no longer bitstreaming, or passing-through original audio; everything is decoded by the Sound Card using the format you select (Dolby or DTS) into multi-channel audio of that format.

This is OK with me as I was never going to use the PC to playback media; the audio/receiver portion was only going to be used for Gaming & Internet Radio, which I'm totally fine with the Sound Card decoding into Multi Channel DTS and then sending it to my Receiver.

But it may not work for others who are planning to use source/original audio in their media.

Yamaha RX-A2000 AVR
Epson 5010 3D Projector
post #8861 of 8872 Old 08-12-2014, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
...One drawback is I'm no longer bitstreaming, or passing-through original audio; everything is decoded by the Sound Card using the format you select (Dolby or DTS) into multi-channel audio of that format.

This is OK with me as I was never going to use the PC to playback media; the audio/receiver portion was only going to be used for Gaming & Internet Radio, which I'm totally fine with the Sound Card decoding into Multi Channel DTS and then sending it to my Receiver.

You're mixing up encoder and decoder. You are bitstreaming to the receiver because that's the only way to send multi-channel audio over an optical cable. So the sound card is encoding to DTS, not decoding.

And again the receiver is never the cause of this kind of problem, because it simply plays what you send it. If it shows Dolby or DTS on the front panel then that means it's receiving, and decoding, a Dolby or DTS bitstream.
post #8862 of 8872 Old 08-13-2014, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
You're mixing up encoder and decoder. You are bitstreaming to the receiver because that's the only way to send multi-channel audio over an optical cable. So the sound card is encoding to DTS, not decoding.

And again the receiver is never the cause of this kind of problem, because it simply plays what you send it. If it shows Dolby or DTS on the front panel then that means it's receiving, and decoding, a Dolby or DTS bitstream.
You are correct; my mistake. I always get confused between "bitstreaming", "encoding", "decoding".

And you are correct, initially I thought it was the Receiver. It wasn't. It was the settings in my sound card software. The problem was that while I was seeing a lot of customer/user reviews sending multi-channel formats to their Receivers using this same sound card, none of them were writing 'how' they were doing it. I always presumed it was a simple 'plug n play' solution. It turned out to be not so straightforward.

This solution definitely is working wonderfully for me; using the "PLIIx Movie" setting on the input, I'm actually getting 7.1 sound out of all my games, Internet radio, or anything else I play on my PC. Which is great! I played 'Dead Space 3' and also tested 'StarCraft II' yesterday and they both sounded exceptional with the speakers setup I have. Sound was distinct out of all 8 channels. I can't complain!!

But like I stated, this solution may not work for everyone - in fact - it wouldn't even work for me if I was using my PC to play back media like Movies & TV Shows. I would absolutely not want the sound card to encode original audio to DTS; I would want to bitstream original / untouched audio to Receiver for media.

Yamaha RX-A2000 AVR
Epson 5010 3D Projector
post #8863 of 8872 Old 08-21-2014, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Upgrade Opinion. I have a v867 and may upgrade. Here are the 3 used deals out there. Which one in your opinion?

1. RX-A2020 - Like new with receipt and everything including box for $450 - $500

2. RX -A2000 - Mint condition, no receipt, has everything but box - $300 - $350.

3. RX - A3000 - Recently Refurbed by Yamaha. Has everything including box. Minor scratches - $475 - $550

Thanks in advance for opinions.
post #8864 of 8872 Old 08-21-2014, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc4saints View Post
Upgrade Opinion. I have a v867 and may upgrade. Here are the 3 used deals out there. Which one in your opinion?

1. RX-A2020 - Like new with receipt and everything including box for $450 - $500

2. RX -A2000 - Mint condition, no receipt, has everything but box - $300 - $350.

3. RX - A3000 - Recently Refurbed by Yamaha. Has everything including box. Minor scratches - $475 - $550

I'm still in love with my A2000 and I got it used for $800 a year and half ago. That is a massive deal. The others are great as well, I doubt you could go wrong with any of them. If any offer a warranty, that is always wise. The A2000 is not missing any feature that I need. My only complaint is that I sometimes have to use party mode to get some digital signals to the 2nd and 3rd zones, I'm not sure if that is better on the 2020 or 3000.
post #8865 of 8872 Old 08-21-2014, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc4saints View Post

All amazing deals. I don't think there's much difference between the 2000 and 2020 except the extra 2 channels (9.2 vs 7.2) and maybe 4K? I think that makes #2 the best deal of the 3 - unless you need another zone and even more speakers. Then get the 3000.

Not to mention you could sell your v867 and probably cover most of the upgrade costs.
post #8866 of 8872 Old 08-21-2014, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

^ For those who can't stand the volume overlay popping up on the TV any time you turn it up or down, the 2020 lets you disable that while the 2000/3000 don't. That feature is a don't care to many, but priceless to me.
post #8867 of 8872 Old 08-22-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcollns View Post
I'm still in love with my A2000 and I got it used for $800 a year and half ago. That is a massive deal. The others are great as well, I doubt you could go wrong with any of them. If any offer a warranty, that is always wise. The A2000 is not missing any feature that I need. My only complaint is that I sometimes have to use party mode to get some digital signals to the 2nd and 3rd zones, I'm not sure if that is better on the 2020 or 3000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by in3rtia View Post
All amazing deals. I don't think there's much difference between the 2000 and 2020 except the extra 2 channels (9.2 vs 7.2) and maybe 4K? I think that makes #2 the best deal of the 3 - unless you need another zone and even more speakers. Then get the 3000.

Not to mention you could sell your v867 and probably cover most of the upgrade costs.
So here is the bottom line on all 3.

1. A3000 - $500 plus shipping probably $530 with a work shipping discount. Refurb unit with about 11 months left on warranty. Minor scratches.

2. A2020 - $460 plus shipping probably $490 total. Bought in Jan 2014 from authorized reseller. Receipt will be passed along. Looks Perfect

3. A2000 - $350 total. Local pick up. NO warranty or box but everything else is in tact. Looks perfect. Bought at Best Buy.

The reason for upgrade from V867 is I really want a little more power. HD Radio, and Web Browser control, more advanced YPAO. Dialogue lift seems interesting as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
^ For those who can't stand the volume overlay popping up on the TV any time you turn it up or down, the 2020 lets you disable that while the 2000/3000 don't. That feature is a don't care to many, but priceless to me.
Not a deal breaker for me either way.

What to do?
post #8868 of 8872 Old 08-23-2014, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 17
A2000.

If it's local, you can hopefully see it and test it before buying it.
post #8869 of 8872 Old 08-23-2014, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If you debate it for much longer, you might have to take whichever one is left. In my opinion, go with the 2000 if you like to upgrade often (to get new features, etc.), go with the 3000 if you want this to be the last stereo you ever buy since you won't miss the $150 in the long run, and any updates the 2020 has over the 3000 won't matter in five years, but the extra power and extra zones/speakers might come in handy down the line. Go with the 2020 only if there is a feature you will definitely use that the others don't have (4k?, I think the presence speakers may be different?)
post #8870 of 8872 Old 08-23-2014, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I own the A3000 and love it. If I had your choices, I would definitely get it again even over the A2020.
post #8871 of 8872 Old 08-25-2014, 08:34 AM

Thanks for all the input guys. Another Question about Yamaha Warranty on used products? I ask because the seller of the A3000 refurb has a one year warranty from Yamaha?

1. Does it exist?
2. If so, are they transferable from original owner? How?
3. Can I buy one through another place?

Just trying to find a way to be covered. I think this series came with a 3 year warranty from Yamaha so the 3000 and 2000 are most probably way out of warranty.

Like most, I am more comfortable buying used speakers

Thanks
post #8872 of 8872 Old 08-27-2014, 11:19 AM

Just an update for those that are curious. I ended up getting the refurb A3000 for $475 plus shipping. Probably cost me $500 total. It came through Audiogon. It has warranty until December of this year. I am sure I will be back here with questions after initial set-up. Thanks a ton for the suggestions.

Last edited by mc4saints; 08-27-2014 at 02:14 PM.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page