"Official" Yamaha RX-A1000/RX-A2000/RX-A3000 thread - Page 297 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #8881 of 8885 Old 09-14-2014, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am sure the answer is easy enough, but I can't figure what I am doing wrong. I put my A-2000's MAC address into the V-Tuner website and log in. Then I created folders, with stations in each folfer. Why can't I see them in the favorites section of the Net Radio function on the receiver?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8882 of 8885 Old 09-14-2014, 06:41 PM

Liked: 12
The answer was easy enough. Unfortunately, it is a new problem for another thread. It is my modem/router. Seems only certain wired things (two Roku 3's, laptop and desktop can access the internet. All other wired items including the A-2000 can NOT. Wireless, phones and iPods /iPads yes, but certain apps no. When the kids got on my neighbor's wireless (also Comcast - the non working apps connected there). Obviously I will have to hit a thread for Comcast Broadband and for my modem. Wish me luck.
post #8883 of 8885 Old 09-17-2014, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Help w/ Sound Options

OK so I hooked up the RX-A3000 and am working on getting it set properly.

With the RX-V2700 I had, I pretty much had the thing set to do surround decoding all the time. It seems it always chose surround, unless the system was receiving a signal NOT in surround, and then I think it did Neural surround... which if I recall is an interpretation of 2 channel audio to surround 5.1?

anyway... I've got the following set: AV1 (PS3), AV2 (DVR), AV3 (Oppo DVD), AV4 (VHS), AV5 (Chromecast).

For av1-4, it seems the default is that it's always coming up as STRAIGHT. My preference would be that it be in surround and not straight. Something like Pro Logic. Is that what everyone uses? I can't figure out how to get this thing to NOT do Straight though.... is it even possible? The book says Straight is the default, but it doesn't say the default can't be changed...

i'd either like to set it to a surround mode as default... or set it there, and have it remember the last setting it was on, when the system is powered down...

Running the latest firmware.
thanks... really apprecaiate the feedback.

enjoying it so far... although, the UPS guy dropped the box @ my front door and some speaker banana plug sockets got bent... but i was able to bend them back.
post #8884 of 8885 Old 09-20-2014, 06:59 PM

Liked: 3
Straight "is" surround sound

Basically, Straight is just the original sound source with minimal receiver modification. So if it's receiving 5.1 Dolby Digital from the source, it will output it as 5.1. Note that I specified "Minimal", however it DOES do some processing, basically to adjust the source signal to match your "room settings" and anything else that is modified from an output perspective. So if you have a 7.1 signal, and only 5.1 setup, it'll adjust the signal some to optimize for your speakers. If you have 2 subs, and they have different sound levels, it'll try and adapt accordingly.
"Pure Direct" is as close to unprocessed as possible, basically decoding the source signal and feeding it straight into the amp stages. I don't know that it's 100% that straight, but basically, if you want to hear what the recording producer's pure original mix would sound like in your home theater, that's it. It might be terrible though, given that the programming of the receiver modifies the signal to adapt to your room's harmonic profiles.
So to sum up, the difference between "Straight" and the other fields, is that it's not programmed as a "venue", and not adapted for 5.1 from a stereo signal, etc. But if you feed it 5.1 surround material (from a DVD or BluRay), it's going to output 5.1 surround, for example. If you feed it stereo, it'll output stereo. But it DOES adapt the input to output based on your speaker levels, and offset times, etc.
Pure Direct is the source signal, without sound field modifications of any sort. So like "Straight" but without customized speaker placement handling, etc. If your room stinks in the 3000hz band, you are going to have terrible quality in the 3000hz band. With "Straight" your receiver has been calibrated and is likely boosting the 3000hz region, so it'll sound better "Straight".
SO... for any surround source, Straight is surround sound, without too much processing (basically pure decoded, adapted for your room's acoustics, but not "Vienna Hall" or "Jazz Club" or "Spectacle" sound fields, it's just as close to what the receiver thinks it should sound like on the original mix, modified to fit your room.
So the only time you'll need a "ProLogic" etc sound mode, is if it's 2-channel source that you want to convert to surround, or you just want a different mode that sounds better for you than the simple "source surround decoding".
I often switch to Pure Direct, which is as close as it gets to the source, it just seems better the way it was mixed. I probably use "Straight" nearly as often though, for broadcasts/uverse "Straight" seems better, for BluRay PureDirect seems better. I've stopped using nearly all other modes except for music type inputs.
DavidMP, jimfrench and Cravit8 like this.
post #8885 of 8885 Old 09-29-2014, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Adding a 2-channel amp to RX-A2000

I have an RX-A2000 currently running a Klipsch Quintet System. I am planning on upgrading very soon to tower speakers. Likely a B&W CM9/10 system or a Sonus Faber Venere 3.0 system. I realize that these are fairly sensitive speakers and don't require a ton to drive but I like the idea of adding a two-channel amp for my front speakers for HT and to provide a better result for music. I was researching and I found the size and energy efficiency of the Class D amps quite appealing. I was mainly considering the Peachtree220 or the Rotel RB-1572. My question is if it would be ill-advised to have the 2-channel class D running my fronts in stereo by itself for music, but having it running in conjunction with the I'm assuming AB amp inside the RX-A2000 for HT. Down the line I would likely go to complete separates but just wanted some opinions. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Invictus87; 09-29-2014 at 01:02 PM. Reason: forgot something
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page