"Official" Yamaha RX-A1000/RX-A2000/RX-A3000 thread - Page 311 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 50Likes

post #9301 of 9325 Old 06-16-2017, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustamelon View Post
The volume OSD on my A2000 has turned into an empty black bar. I'm sure this has been covered here but my searches have been fruitless. I've tried power cycling, disconnecting/reconnecting hdmi out, changing video settings, changing source resolution, to no avail. What do you all recommend?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Usually the power cycle is the trick for the messed up volume bar. Might give that a little more time, but when I've done 5 seconds was all it took.
bustamelon likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9302 of 9325 Old 06-21-2017, 02:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMP View Post
Usually the power cycle is the trick for the messed up volume bar. Might give that a little more time, but when I've done 5 seconds was all it took.
If that fails (and it sounds like it did), he can back up his settings and do a processor reset, then restore his settings. That should work too.

And I guess I'll give Yamaha another try. I may have just ended up with a person having a truly bad day. Even a refurb 3050 would work (though a 3060 would be majorly awesome).

When a Priest says they're going to Flash you, it isn't for healing.

post #9303 of 9325 Old 06-21-2017, 05:12 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy Tia View Post
If that fails (and it sounds like it did), he can back up his settings and do a processor reset, then restore his settings. That should work too.

And I guess I'll give Yamaha another try. I may have just ended up with a person having a truly bad day. Even a refurb 3050 would work (though a 3060 would be majorly awesome).
Hey, thanks for reminding me. I forgot about the desktop app. I'll back it up and restore using that... once I unpack it after my upcoming move. By then it will have been unplugged for over a week.

post #9304 of 9325 Old 06-21-2017, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hey, thanks for reminding me. I forgot about the desktop app. I'll back it up and restore using that... once I unpack it after my upcoming move. By then it will have been unplugged for over a week.

You can also back up your settings to a USB stick too. Might be faster that way, but who knows. Either way you have a couple options.

post #9305 of 9325 Old 06-21-2017, 06:28 AM

Wink

Quote:
You can also back up your settings to a USB stick too. Might be faster that way, but who knows. Either way you have a couple options.
That too!
post #9306 of 9325 Old 06-22-2017, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Welp, I just tried Yamaha's support line again and this time got the run around like they weren't even aware of the problem at all. They kept telling me to do more troubleshooting even after I listed all of the steps I took along with the results, and said the only thing they could do was refer me to an authorized service center here in my local area.

Does anyone have a specific number I need to be using when calling Yamaha for this? This is beyond irritating. The "tech support" guy as he called himself wasn't even interested in trying to remedy this in any way, shape, or form and right now I'm about two nanometers from being a former Yamaha customer. Frustration doesn't even begin to describe what I feel right now. $2k is far too much to spend on something that didn't even last more than a hair longer than six years. That isn't quality in my book.

post #9307 of 9325 Old 07-30-2017, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Last edited by xnaron; 07-30-2017 at 10:53 AM.
post #9308 of 9325 Old 07-31-2017, 07:05 AM

Thread search somehow became post, sorry.

Last edited by bustamelon; 07-31-2017 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Goof
post #9309 of 9325 Old 08-01-2017, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thread search somehow became post, sorry.
Sounds like the week (or month) I've been having. :P

post #9310 of 9325 Old 08-02-2017, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Sounds like the week (or month) I've been having. :P
Haha. Here's hoping things improve for both of us!
post #9311 of 9325 Old 08-09-2017, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwcarlson View Post
I read this thread and reached out to Yamaha since I was just hit with this same problem. They acknowledged they have no parts for the RX-A3000. I was told they're on the hook for 7 years and offered me a refurbed A3050 in its place. I felt this was reasonable and accepted (I was hoping to get 10 years out of my A3000 so if I get 4 out of the refurb I'm good). So I just have to wait for the RA info to box up my unit and swap it all out.

If you're having problems it seems liking contacting Yamaha is the way to go. Oh, they did ask for a receipt/serial number for my receiver (which I had...I don't know what would happen without those things).
Seems you got much better response than others who called in for the same problem. Did you call the standard Service number in the warranty documentation or manual, or did you call a specific office?

My A3000 is exhibiting exactly the same problem with no sound on startup. After some random changing of source and/or power down for 5 seconds then back on, it eventually gets sound. But it takes awhile sometimes five minutes. BTW my A3000 is also just over 6 years - purchased in March 2011. Quite a coincidence. Problem arose as I was reading about others having this problem. (I think the thread jinxed me!!)

Any help with what number to call and what to mention to get the excellent service you got will be appreciated greatly!

Last edited by Jess Sayin; 08-09-2017 at 02:03 PM.
post #9312 of 9325 Old 08-09-2017, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Aaaaaand now the decoder is completely dead on my A3000. Nothing seems to wake it up into life now. $2000 for an AVR that lasted roughly six years. That's pathetic.
I am following your effort to get tech info on the parts. If you learn anything or get better service from Yamaha please update.

FYI my A3000 symptoms are very much like others reported and mine is also just over six years old. So far I still eventually get sound after random switching of inputs and/or power off/on, but I'm worried it will soon just stop making sound completely.

The only different observation I can add that wasn't mentioned: I once got sound from my Oppo through the 5-channel analog inputs (playing an SACD), but all HDMI inputs resulted in no sound including from the Oppo. Until eventually the A3000 decided to wake up.

I haven't confirmed analog will work consistently while digital inputs fail with enough trials to confirm a pattern.

Also, I can't see any pattern at all to what wakes up the Yamaha's sound. Sometimes I have to restart it. Sometimes restart doesn't work. Sometimes changing from TiVo to LG OLED input works. Sometimes not. Sometimes pausing playback then unpausing results in sound. Sometimes it doesn't. Eventually, sound happens (so far, knock on wood). My wife swears her approach works: just patiently wait awhile (five or ten minutes) then switch inputs and she gets sound. But I can't reliably replicate results. The only common behavior is, eventually, after random delays, sound comes on.

This started about three weeks ago. From others' reports I'm anticipating sound will die completely soon. Like Sqishy Tia, I selected the A3000 for clean and accurate sound, but am hesitant to get another Yamaha until I know this short useful lifespan is not characteristic, and Yamaha backs it up with service as it is a problem many of us Aventage owners are encountering at about six years.

(my first receiver was a Marantz that lasted 25 years and I retired it only because it was digitally obsolete.)

Last edited by Jess Sayin; 08-09-2017 at 02:38 PM.
post #9313 of 9325 Old 08-09-2017, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I bought my first Yamaha in 1990--DSP E300, and never had issues with any receiver to date. My A3000 is January 2011, and I'm hoping for a few more years out of it.

Does the sound issue only manifest itself when powering on the first time, or does it just cut out intermittently?

"The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow."
post #9314 of 9325 Old 08-10-2017, 03:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess Sayin View Post
Seems you got much better response than others who called in for the same problem. Did you call the standard Service number in the warranty documentation or manual, or did you call a specific office?

My A3000 is exhibiting exactly the same problem with no sound on startup. After some random changing of source and/or power down for 5 seconds then back on, it eventually gets sound. But it takes awhile sometimes five minutes. BTW my A3000 is also just over 6 years - purchased in March 2011. Quite a coincidence. Problem arose as I was reading about others having this problem. (I think the thread jinxed me!!)

Any help with what number to call and what to mention to get the excellent service you got will be appreciated greatly!
It appears that I got lucky. I'm starting to feel bad. I know how I'd feel if I were if your situation.

Anyhow, I contacted them via email to begin with. After that initial email things didn't move very quickly so I would up calling the support number and the guy on the phone transferred me to the same guy I spoke to via email. That's when we talked about the lack of parts and arranging for the exchange as I recall (I'd have to check over everything to make sure). I had to contact them again a time or two to finally get it all finished up since it seemed to move rather slowly.

The original message I sent was just this:
Quote:
"I have an RX-A3000. Recently, maybe over the last 30-60 days at least, it has started to not output audio. After resetting it and setting it all back up I thought I had taken care of the problem but it persisted. I then noticed that it really only was happening when the unit was "warming up." This time became longer and longer, from a minute or two at first, until I finally just left it on all the time since it was taking easily ten to twenty minutes. At which point I would have to turn everything off (ie. the television, the dish box and the A3000) and quickly turn them back on for audio to work properly. Leaving the A3000 on made life a bit easier.

Until today. Things were working fine then I muted the A3000 while I was doing something. This went on for maybe 30 minutes or so. When I went to unmute it nothing happened. No audio came through. The front panel says it sees the audio but there is nothing. I restarted everything. Did all the "tricks." Nothing. There is audio because it passes through if I enable the speakers on the TV but that's obviously not what I want.

A quick search turned up threads like these: "Official" Yamaha RX-A1000/RX-A2000/RX-A3000 thread

It seems that others have experienced this same issue with this same line of receivers. The audio goes out and the receiver needs to "warm up" but eventually it just fails entirely. If what I'm reading where there is no real recourse due to the lack of replacement parts I need to know what my options are? How can you help me? This was the top of the line receiver when I purchased it after all."
As I recall it was on the first call how it made no sense to try to repair it since there were no parts so they should just go ahead and swap it out since they were responsible for these things for seven years. It was at that point I was offered the refurb 3050 and took it but ultimately got the refurb 3060.

I hope this helps.
Jess Sayin likes this.
post #9315 of 9325 Old 09-06-2017, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
The FM tuner has never worked right for me, which hasn't been an issue since the only station I ever listen to on the radio is KCBS, and that's only when I'm driving, so meh. Doesn't matter if the FM tuner works if the rest doesn't (I prefer video game music to what's on the radio BTW).
So, I haven't been on this forum maybe since about 2015, early 2016.
I log on to see a people chiming in that their Ax000 isn't getting sound.
When one is keeping up with this thread weekly, it's hard to see the trend, but coming back after a year, I read the last 4 pages and it's basically:
User: "The new firmware is out! 3.70"
6 months later
User: Eh, my unit is failing.
User2: Eh, mine too.
User3: eh, mine too.

I'm concerned about using the firmware update. I've got a 2000 on whatever firmware is from 2015 and no problems with the unit.

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
post #9316 of 9325 Old 09-06-2017, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess Sayin View Post
I am following your effort to get tech info on the parts. If you learn anything or get better service from Yamaha please update.
Do you remember your firmware upgrade history?

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
post #9317 of 9325 Old 09-06-2017, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Interesting. Mine has alerted for an update for a couple years and I haven't bothered. No sound issues to date.

"The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow."
post #9318 of 9325 Old 09-06-2017, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8 View Post
So, I haven't been on this forum maybe since about 2015, early 2016.
I log on to see a people chiming in that their Ax000 isn't getting sound.
When one is keeping up with this thread weekly, it's hard to see the trend, but coming back after a year, I read the last 4 pages and it's basically:
User: "The new firmware is out! 3.70"
6 months later
User: Eh, my unit is failing.
User2: Eh, mine too.
User3: eh, mine too.

I'm concerned about using the firmware update. I've got a 2000 on whatever firmware is from 2015 and no problems with the unit.
I had only updated to firmware 3.20 and left it there as I saw no need to fix what wasn't broken for me (I don't use internet radio, which is what most of the firmwares were made to "re"-fix after it broke every few months. The onboard diagnostics say the DSP is "overloaded" by the error code I got, but a full CPU reset and leaving this thing unplugged for a week afterward didn't help. DSP is fried. Seems to be a common factor in Aventage deaths, and it isn't limited to either the low or high end - it affects them all. The units after the xx40 models are too new to know whether or not they'll fail this way too, but if the same manufacturer/fab and components are used, they likely will at some point and with the exact same set of symptoms.

post #9319 of 9325 Old 09-17-2017, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I have 2 RX-A2000 and 2 RX-A3000 receivers. The first RX-A2000 quit producing audio in March. It started by being slow to come on (10-20 minutes) in January and by March it would no longer work even with a long warmup. Then one of my RX-A3000s started intermittently being slow to start audio. It is still that way. My second RX-A3000 became slow starting audio in June. By July it had to warm up for 10-20 minutes to have audio. Last week my second RX-A2000 started acting up.

I decided to look at the 3000 on the bench. The confirmed culprit is the TI DSP chip on the NET PCB. It can be heated and cooled to cause/cure the problem. I was able to swap the board with the now dead RX-A2000 and it was cured. A dose of chill spray to the top of the NET PCB on the intermittent RX-A3000 also makes the sound stop.

Name:  IMG_1164-1.JPG
Views: 126
Size:  299.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1164-2.JPG
Views: 128
Size:  100.7 KB

Unfortunately I cannot find this part anywhere and even if I did, I don't have the tools to replace a BGA chip. When a NET PCB is swapped between units it cures the problem, but renders the network connection inoperative. The MAC address of the new NET board needs to be set in the receivers firmware. Unfortunately the procedure does not work on a used board. I purchased a new NET board from Encompass, but ran into two problems 1) I still could not set the MAC address for the new board and 2) the firmware was older on the replacement board and any attempt at firmware update failed.

This is very frustrating to have 4 out of 4 receivers fail in the same year. Yamaha was absolutely no help. They said I should send them to their repair center in California. The NET board is about $200 plus labor and shipping each way. The total repair on each unit will be $400-500. So I am faced with up to $2000 to repair receivers that cost over $7000 about 6 years ago. Since all 4 of mine have failed, I can't help but believe this is a problem that is more widespread.

Ideally if someone was able to find the replacement DSP chip, the board could be sent to someone who has the equipment to replace a BGA chip. Then the MAC address would not be an issue and the parts would be much less.

As it stands right now, I would say that I will no longer have Yamaha receivers soon.
post #9320 of 9325 Old 09-18-2017, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I will do a general online search, but, having read about the issues with A2000s and A3000s on this thread, I'm curious about two things:

1) Is the A1000 also experiencing these problems to the same degree? I've had my A1000 since 2011 and have had a few oddities occur over the years, but nothing on the scale described in this thread. The biggest problem I had was with an Atmos track bit streamed from an OPPO BDP-83 (audio would randomly drop out during the film--John Wick, IIRC). Switching to internal decoding solved the issue at the time, but the OPPO since developed other problems with BD discs (still plays DVD-A and SACD just fine, thankfully, while I use a 3-D capable Sony player for BD watching), so I'm not sure the problem was with the A1000, in the end. However, I still, on rare occasions, get some audio dropouts or glitches from BD playback. Hasn't happened with any other sources yet (Apple TV, Samsung DVR, Toshiba HD-DVD player).

2) Before the more significant, not to say catastrophic, issues described elsewhere in the thread, did early symptoms include random, short-lived audio dropouts? I don't use my setup nearly as often as I did a few years ago (going back to do a PhD instead of buying a red sports car as a mid-life "crisis" really eats up my spare time), so perhaps I'm "lucking out" by underusing the A1000. I'd rather not contemplate a replacement just yet, but if I'm (occasionally) experiencing what amounts to early symptoms of this greater problem, I'll start planning a replacement a bit earlier than expected.

Thoughts?
post #9321 of 9325 Old 09-20-2017, 08:00 PM

Same issue on my 2000 about year 5. I paid the $200 for a local shop to replace the board.

post #9322 of 9325 Old 10-10-2017, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Receiver Manager Needed

Hi All,

I've been running my RX-A3000 since 2011 with very few issues. Recently it's started "shutting itself off" randomly while watching my TV Bolt through it. I'd like to try backup/reset/restore first to see if that will fix my problem. I seem to have lost my Receiver Manager software in a computer replacement and would appreciate it if someone could email me or PM me a copy or link.

Many thanks,

Tom

TommyUdo
post #9323 of 9325 Old 10-10-2017, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a an RX-A2000 purchased around November 2011 that started experiencing the same "intermittent sound/no sound" condition this past Winter/Spring. I recently sent it to Yamaha Canada for service. Technician diagnosed it as NET PCB failure and said I need a new PCB. They offered me the board at cost, so with labour and taxes this will be a $200-250 repair. I'm really questioning whether to proceed with this given there seems to be a product defect that Yamaha is not addressing. Curious if anyone other than MwCarlson got a satisfactory response from Yamaha Canada or Yamaha USA? I'd be happy if they simply replaced the NET PCB or offered to do the repair for a much more reasonable price, say, $50-$75. In Canada these units only have a 4-year warranty, so the problems occurring in year 5 and 6 are just outside the warranty period, which is why I'm being charged for the repair. I understand parts failing due to natural wear and tear, but how does a PCB chip fail (assuming rprade's diagnostic is correct) if the unit is not dropped or otherwise tampered with. Am I the only one who thinks this is an unreasonable product life and a manufacturing defect?

Given the high cost of the repair, I think I might just buy a new unit and switch to Onkyo or Pioneer. I just can't see spending good money for such poor product quality, particularly for a product that was considered top of the line only 6 or 7 years ago.
post #9324 of 9325 Old 10-11-2017, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyUdo View Post
Hi All,

I've been running my RX-A3000 since 2011 with very few issues. Recently it's started "shutting itself off" randomly while watching my TV Bolt through it. I'd like to try backup/reset/restore first to see if that will fix my problem. I seem to have lost my Receiver Manager software in a computer replacement and would appreciate it if someone could email me or PM me a copy or link.

Many thanks,

Tom
PM for you.

Cheers,

VMat

In use: 1) Yamaha NS-BP300 + Technics SU-Z65 + ST-Z45 + Pioneer DV-420, 2) Audio-Technica ATH-M35 + Audioengine D1 + Strawberry Pi.
Temporary (woohoooo!!!): MA GX200 +
Yamaha A-S500 + Squeezebox V3.
In storage: Some MA (BX) and CA (Minx) Speakers, Yamaha RX-A1000,
CA DacMagic, Yamaha CDC-697, Sansui TU-D99X, HK TD4500, Pioneer BDP-320 and DV-610, BIC Acoustech H-100, Audio-Technica ATH-M40fs.
post #9325 of 9325 Old 10-18-2017, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprade View Post
I have 2 RX-A2000 and 2 RX-A3000 receivers. The first RX-A2000 quit producing audio in March. It started by being slow to come on (10-20 minutes) in January and by March it would no longer work even with a long warmup. Then one of my RX-A3000s started intermittently being slow to start audio. It is still that way. My second RX-A3000 became slow starting audio in June. By July it had to warm up for 10-20 minutes to have audio. Last week my second RX-A2000 started acting up.

I decided to look at the 3000 on the bench. The confirmed culprit is the TI DSP chip on the NET PCB. It can be heated and cooled to cause/cure the problem. I was able to swap the board with the now dead RX-A2000 and it was cured. A dose of chill spray to the top of the NET PCB on the intermittent RX-A3000 also makes the sound stop.

Attachment 2284084

Attachment 2284104

Unfortunately I cannot find this part anywhere and even if I did, I don't have the tools to replace a BGA chip. When a NET PCB is swapped between units it cures the problem, but renders the network connection inoperative. The MAC address of the new NET board needs to be set in the receivers firmware. Unfortunately the procedure does not work on a used board. I purchased a new NET board from Encompass, but ran into two problems 1) I still could not set the MAC address for the new board and 2) the firmware was older on the replacement board and any attempt at firmware update failed.

This is very frustrating to have 4 out of 4 receivers fail in the same year. Yamaha was absolutely no help. They said I should send them to their repair center in California. The NET board is about $200 plus labor and shipping each way. The total repair on each unit will be $400-500. So I am faced with up to $2000 to repair receivers that cost over $7000 about 6 years ago. Since all 4 of mine have failed, I can't help but believe this is a problem that is more widespread.

Ideally if someone was able to find the replacement DSP chip, the board could be sent to someone who has the equipment to replace a BGA chip. Then the MAC address would not be an issue and the parts would be much less.

As it stands right now, I would say that I will no longer have Yamaha receivers soon.
Yeah, if that's the culprit and it's a BGA, your only option for fixing it on the spot is a reflow oven. Good luck with that. So basically the DSP chips in the Aventage line (all of them it seems?) has a pretty severe failure point that breaks down over time and needs to be reflowed, something almost nobody can do. Hell, the "easiest" instructions I found for the manual method is this. And if you do it for just a bit too long, your chip is toast (well, its solder joints are since they'll have congealed together if you let the heat go for too long).

Sigh...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page