AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by portony View Post

Hello,
I'm struggling with getting either the Integra 80.1 or Yamaha A2000. I really want to get the Yamaha because of the video processing chip upgrade but I'm nervous about it not having the THX post processing feature. I know this is important in smoothing out the frequencies. Does the Yamaha A2000 have a similar feature that is called something other than 'THX post processing'? I could not find it in their specs/feature set.

Thank you,
Tony

It does have YPAO natural mode, which rolls off high end response a bit. Can't say how that compares to the THX modes though.

It's interesting, Yamaha has not seemed interested in certifying anything as THX except their flagship models. They certified the 2600 as Select or Select 2, but it's descendant, the 2700 was not.

"But this one goes up to 11"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 8871 Old 10-20-2010, 05:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

It does have YPAO natural mode, which rolls off high end response a bit. Can't say how that compares to the THX modes though.

It's interesting, Yamaha has not seemed interested in certifying anything as THX except their flagship models. They certified the 2600 as Select or Select 2, but it's descendant, the 2700 was not.

In this economy, they probably didn't want the expense of paying absurd royalties.

When a Priest says they're going to Flash you, it isn't for healing.

post #1083 of 8871 Old 10-20-2010, 04:14 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emig5m View Post

I'd say keep your 663. I have a 663 and I'm currently in home demoing the Denon 3311ci, the A2000's main competitor, and it's not all that much better than the 663 for the price (but I'm using external amplification). I hope to have a Yamaha A2000 maybe this weekend to compare, but again, I doubt it's going to be any better than the 663 for sound quality. Now if features and better gui is your thing, then go for it... otherwise, IMO you're not going to beat the 663's sound quality easily.... Heck, I even had a RX-V3900 and it was identical to the sound of the 663...

The guys that say it's all about what features you need is pretty much spot on from my experience so far... One thing about the Denon is vocals in music don't seem to sound as natural and realistic as the Yamaha's do.... One thing I'll miss from the Denon is the variable compressed music enhancer. Yamaha just has the compressed music enhancer and the Denon has three different levels of aggression. Oh and, the people complaining about the OSD/volume bar...the Denon is much better in this regard...

Thanks for the input. I guess features (more power, extra HDMI inputs, network radio, network control) is why I would spend the money. I missed the newegg.com deal of $300 gift card. Will wait to see if it comes back and get the A1000 and will keep my v663 for now.

It sounds OK for music and I got it for under $400 when it first came out. Just that I remember my old V1000 sounding better for music but it has been too long now.
post #1084 of 8871 Old 10-20-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walking Dude View Post

I made the decision this weekend to purchase the Yamaha RX-A3000. It was just delivered today! I've just unpackaged it. I probably will not get a chance to connect it until this weekend. I will connect it to a pair of Definitive Technology BP-30 and a powered subwoofer, until I purchase a pair of the Definitive Technology Mythos STS.

Okay. So, I finally got around to connecting the receiver to the speakers and also to my home network, using a pair of power-line adapters. I have updated the firmware.

My old speakers and subwoofer sound really good with this receiver. The music being played from my ipod sounds great as well.

I can't wait to hear how this receiver sounds with a pair of Definitive Technology Mythos STS or ST.

I am by no means an audiophile. This receiver will be the centerpiece of my home theater system. I am more than happy with it's performance so far.
post #1085 of 8871 Old 10-20-2010, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I got my 3000 hooked up last night and I have to say that it is comparable to the Integra DTR-9.9 it replaced for pwoer and clarity of sound. I actually like the tone of the Yamaha a little better but that could easily be in my head. I of course want it to sound better since I just bought it. Of course it is a major upgrade in features.

By the way the bottom half of the front panel, as well as the door, are aluminum. It's only the upper half where the dispaly is that's plastic. I like the clean look better than my Integra with all its buttons.

I'm still playing with the YPAO setup. I haven't done the "Angle" portion yet but I assume that's what the little "boomerang" thing is for. Has anyone seen a noticeable difference after running the "Angle" portion of YPAO?
post #1086 of 8871 Old 10-21-2010, 04:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xuniman View Post

I got my 3000 hooked up last night and I have to say that it is comparable to the Integra DTR-9.9 it replaced for pwoer and clarity of sound. I actually like the tone of the Yamaha a little better but that could easily be in my head. I of course want it to sound better since I just bought it. Of course it is a major upgrade in features.

By the way the bottom half of the front panel, as well as the door, are aluminum. It's only the upper half where the dispaly is that's plastic. I like the clean look better than my Integra with all its buttons.

I'm still playing with the YPAO setup. I haven't done the "Angle" portion yet but I assume that's what the little "boomerang" thing is for. Has anyone seen a noticeable difference after running the "Angle" portion of YPAO?

I don't think the bottom/door are in fact aluminum. Most aluminum I know of is magnetic, and my fridge magnet (a 1"x2" heacy duty magnet capable of feying floppies at close range) doesn't even make an attempt to stick to the panel or the door. Cold to the touch as they may be, they apparently aren't metallic.

post #1087 of 8871 Old 10-21-2010, 05:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy Tia View Post

Most aluminum I know of is magnetic, and my fridge magnet (a 1"x2" heacy duty magnet capable of feying floppies at close range) doesn't even make an attempt to stick to the panel or the door. Cold to the touch as they may be, they apparently aren't metallic.

You must live in a different universe than the rest of us.
Aluminum has no magnetic properties, and neither do a host of other related materials and alloys, all of them "metallic".
post #1088 of 8871 Old 10-21-2010, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy Tia View Post

Most aluminum I know of is magnetic...

That's only the stuff they salvage from crashed UFOs.
post #1089 of 8871 Old 10-21-2010, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

I'm going to have to assume then that the aluminum heatsinks (at least that's what the ones I've seen on some of the equipment I use - FB-DIMM heatsinks in particular), are actually composite allooys then, and not straight aluminum, since my magnetic tip screwdrivers all stick to them. If that's the case, then shame on the manufacturers for deceptive labeling. Bleh.

Regarding the front door panel - mine's slightly off keel. It opens and closes perfectly fine, with correct resistance near the closed mark, but once closed it is slightly uneven compared to the surface of the AVR's face. It isn't enough for me to return the unit (especially since a) I have a broken finger and b) rewiring everything and especially renaming everything is not something I want to go through again.

My connectors from monoprice.com finally came, so now I can ditch the ghetto method I was using before, which was one regular banana connector on the upper binding post of the speaker terminal, and a dual banana connector on the lower post with one unused half of said dual banana connector dangling below (due to lack of sufficient single connectors).

post #1090 of 8871 Old 10-21-2010, 04:47 PM

I can't say for a fact that the lower half is aluminum since I haven't done metalurgy tests but it looks and feels like aluminum so I'm going with the "walks like a duck, talks like a duck analogy".

I ran the YPAO multi point setup last night (used 5 points) and also the angle setup. I can definately say that the unit figured out the type (large/small), proper crossover point (for the small speakers) at 80hz for the surrounds and 40hz for the center (it has an 8" powered woofer) and distance for all the speakers. It even figured out the proper toe in angle of my front speakers (30 degrees). The levels seemed right also but I can't figure out how to display the YPAO eq settings so I can see what it did with the room issues. It sounds great but I'd like to see the graphs so I can compare it to what my old RX-V2700 used to do. I can't compare it against the Integra DTR-9.9 since Audyssey doesn't show the "results" graphs like the 2700 used to.

Does anyone know how to see the "results" graphs for the Aventage line?

I usually watch a lot of movies and TV in the therter but last night I was enjoying the sound so much I spent the whole night listening to music.

This leads to my last question - I have a large amount of music on my server (close to 30,000 songs) and the 3000 was OK showing the MP3 encoded stuff but I couldn't get it to show my FLAC files. I left it running overnight to see if it was just having trouble "Updating List" for so many files. Has anyone else played FLAC files over a network using the "PC" input?
post #1091 of 8871 Old 10-21-2010, 06:21 PM

i have my 3000, was up until 2am cabling it up. I decided not to add my power amp as i wanted to know what this thing would do on its own.

when i woke up and turned it on, the changes were evident immediately. YPAO has surely had a lot of work done on it, first sound out of the receiver was the ypao on the left channel. Never have i heard that amount of bass coming from that speaker in an auto calibration, a good sign for sure. For the first time ever my sub was picked up and located in the right position too rather than showing it twice as far as it actually is. I did a 3 point calibration with the angle measurement.

man this thing sounds great! I had a very hard time in past years trying to find a receiver that had some mid-range. Well i found it, the 3000 sounds more closely to a 2 channel amp than almost anything out there, i guess the z11/as2000 technologies we are benefiting from here. In pure direct mode listening to some wav files over the network all the audiophile catch phrases come to mind, because they are true with this receiver. There is an awesome amount of space around instruments, a real 'airy' experience, soundstage is really wide and a new one on me-quite high! Then there was some music that seemed to be coming from behind me at times, remember this is the morning so i wasnt drunk! All i can think is that parts of the recording was playing with phase adjustments-cool!

love the remote, finally a remote that has every button backlit-even the black ones.

adaptive DRC works really well and is the best implementation i have come across- no bloated bass! so really there is no need to ride the volume so who cares about the volume bar onscreen technology is on our side

yes the scaler is awesome!

if you are having trouble accessing your music over network, i have found the 3000 only likes to go about 3 folders deep and then the songs are grayed out, need to reduce the amount of folders which is not really enough to complain about, but could be frustrating if you dont know.

i will write more when i have more use under my belt.

New Zealand
post #1092 of 8871 Old 10-21-2010, 07:37 PM

I bought the a2000 and was unhappy about the inflexibility of not being able to do an amp assign of 7 + front + zone (oddly 7 + presence + zone is available). i am using an old mcintosh mc2105 for the fronts and am replacing a yammy 663. I hit on a workaround using the 663 and a 75 foot hdmi cable out of hdmi out 2 to my downstairs bedroom. with an ipad and the web interface i have full control and a lot of flexibility.
post #1093 of 8871 Old 10-21-2010, 08:01 PM

yeah that was the one configuration i would have liked too, or to externally amp the front, presence and center, but after hearing the 3000 i am seriously considering using it for the fronts and externally amping the rest! then i would have my extra outdoor zone running without needing a second power amp. I will be putting my 7 ch power amp in the mix on monday so i need to make a decision by then.

i had a zone (master bedroom) running off a balun (component + digital audio) that has now been re routed to another guest room because the hdmi zone b is adequite and i already had another hdmi running to that part of the house.

New Zealand
post #1094 of 8871 Old 10-21-2010, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xuniman View Post

I ran the YPAO multi point setup last night (used 5 points) and also the angle setup. I can definately say that the unit figured out the type (large/small), proper crossover point (for the small speakers) at 80hz for the surrounds and 40hz for the center (it has an 8" powered woofer) and distance for all the speakers. It even figured out the proper toe in angle of my front speakers (30 degrees). The levels seemed right also but I can't figure out how to display the YPAO eq settings so I can see what it did with the room issues. It sounds great but I'd like to see the graphs so I can compare it to what my old RX-V2700 used to do.

I don't know about graphs, but you can copy YPAO PEQ results to the manual PEQ, then at least scroll through the values you got for each speaker (p.118 of the A3000 manual).

You can also use Receiver Manager to show you the PEQ results, but it doesn't seem to graph them. I was going to say that if you upload your settings to Receiver Manager and save them to a file, you could use PEQedit to read the file and plot a nice graph, BUT the file format has changed for the A series and PEQedit can't find the values. It shouldn't be too hard to fix though, so I'll do it when I can (maybe this weekend).
post #1095 of 8871 Old 10-21-2010, 10:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I just got my A2000 tonight.

Can anyone share their settings for TV? Specifically DirecTV HD.

For some reason, my blu-ray looks amazing (better than my last receiver) but my TV looks slightly worse. Just a little less sharp and maybe some mosquito noise. I put the noise reduction to "auto" but it didn't quite do as much.

I guess I'm just confused how blu-ray could be better, but TV worse.

Resolution settings (auto/1080P/passthrough)???

Any ideas? I'm coming from an Arcam AVR600. Love this receiver, just need to sharpen up TV a bit....Thanks in advance.

post #1096 of 8871 Old 10-21-2010, 11:54 PM

Thanks for the suggestions about how to see the PEQ settings. It took me a few minutes to find the right tab in Receiver Manager but eventually I got it right. It would be great if you could update PEQedit to work with the 3000. I was going to spend part of the weekend doing a manual EQ to see how close the YPAO got to what I would have done. Does anyone know what the "angle" measurements add to the mix. It seems like an interesting addition but it would be nice to know what the engineers were trying to accomplish.

I did figure out the issue with not playing FLAC over the PC input. It seems that Windows Media Player is the streaming server that is used by default and it doesn't support FLAC natively. If you are streaming from a Vista or Win7 machine you can just add the proper CODEC and everything works fine. Since I am streaming from a Windows Home Server it is actually using Windows Media Connect which is really about a WMP 9 version equivalent and the installation of a CODEC didn't fix the problem. I installed Twonky Manager as a streaming server and immediately everything worked perfectly. Streaming lossless audio throught the 3000 while using the Ipod Touch to browse media and manage volume/source was a real pleasure. The Ipod app needs a little work but it covers the essentials just fine. I can now set up a Zone 2 out in the backyard without having to run an IR receiver and wiring all the way back. I'm even thinking of getting a couple of nice speakers for my daughters bedroom and running zone 3 out to there so she can get some high quality sounds NET and HD radio along with the streaming.

I'm REALLY happy with the receiver, well worth the money for me.
post #1097 of 8871 Old 10-22-2010, 03:18 AM

Hello Kiwiguy,
What is your speaker set-up / manufacturer ?

Thank you,
Tony
post #1098 of 8871 Old 10-22-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portony View Post

Hello Kiwiguy,
What is your speaker set-up / manufacturer ?

Thank you,
Tony

hi Tony

Front= Mission E82
Center= Mission E8c
Presence= Mission E50
Surround= Energy CR-100
Surround Back= Energy RC-6W
Sub= Velodyne SPL-1200 (with SMS-1)
Sub= 2 bass shakers in the couch (running off NAD power amp)

It used to be mission all round but i put in the energies for all the rear effects as they have better bass response than the missions at smaller sizes.

I dont think Mission is a very well known brand in the US (English heritage) but the E82 have a great soundstage and are very snappy.

....I watched a movie last night, Tetro (Francis Ford Coppola) and was not expecting too much but it was a great watch and i realised a few things.

There is definitely some new tuning yamaha have done with these amps, the lower models have virtual presence which heightens the sound, i only thought of this last night because i was shocked to be getting that same type of soundstage height during movie watching. It has been my experience that as soon as you go into movie mode receivers tend to loose their soundstage and begin to sound like a dreaded home theater amp. The 3000 retains the pure direct type sound while out of pure direct.

i was using drama DSP so pure direct was definitely switched off, moved to straight to take the presence out of the equation and had the same results, the front stage was still up there. This is great for me as i use a front projector. I guess yamaha took into consideration how large screen sizes are getting and tuned accordingly.

As i dragged myself off to bed i started to doubt the 7ch power amp being added and started to consider getting rid of it and getting a 3d plasma for Call of Duty; Black Ops in 3d (2 weeks to go). This would be such a disappointment as i always wanted to go power amp, of course i will add it before making a decision.

YPAO results

normally i would go in and alter what results my room has been given, tweak it with the knowledge i have of my speakers and an spl meter. However because i am about to add the power amp i thought i would just let it be, it did such a great job anyway apart from one anomaly. My rears!

Behind me are a pair of reference connoisseur in walls with a 6 1/2 inch driver which was set to 200hz. The useable frequency response is 44hz and has never been crossed over so high by any other receiver, i admit some bass is lost through the back wall. The CR-100 are good down to 62 hz and were crossed over at 100hz. Fronts large and center 40hz. The center seemed to be crossed over lower than ever before.

I guess its time to fess up, prior to the 3000 i was using a Z11 and these results are significantly different, and its hard to admit but i do with fascination amazement and relief, the 3000 YPAO sounds better.

YPAO conclusion

YPAO it seems to me has been given a push forward, to the front of the theater in energy, and it works. For decades yamaha have given somewhat more importance to sound around the image with presence channels and even dual centers (back in the day), now they have jumped in boots and all, successfully. They moved most of the drive of the system (Bass) to the front therefore using most of the amplifier power in the front and retaining a 2 ch sound. The effects steering and timing is excellent as it has a little less to do maybe? I dont know, but the effects sound terrifically open and on time. We all know that this new line is to save face from the 65 series, and it does it, hugely and successfully!

Thinking about all that it makes sense to me, yamaha has always been the number one choice for front projection owners and audyssey has been beating at their door for a couple of years now.

New Zealand
post #1099 of 8871 Old 10-22-2010, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

One thing I do miss that is not present in these models is the Dolby 3 mode, which is just front/center speakers. This would be infinitely useful for my grandparents who are getting hard of hearing, and having just the front + center for dialog would be a plus.

post #1100 of 8871 Old 10-22-2010, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

You could set speaker pattern 2 to be just the speakers you want, then create a new scene that uses pattern 2. It's pity there are only two speaker patterns though.

I also just noticed that the A1000 can't EQ the sub at all. The sub is missing from the list of speakers that can be adjusted on page 111, and it's not a typo because it can't be done from Receiver Manager either. You can set level and distance for the sub, but no EQ.
post #1101 of 8871 Old 10-23-2010, 03:14 AM

Hello,
Have you guys noticed an improvement in the quality of video with both Blue Ray and HDTV viewing with the new video processor chip Yamaha is using?

Thx,
Tony
post #1102 of 8871 Old 10-23-2010, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I've gotten a few messages asking about the settings I used to improve HD and Bluray video. Unfortunately, I don't think the 2000 supports the same tweaks as the 3000. My understanding is that the 2000 has auto enhance features, the 3000 has auto and manual. What I did was set contrast enhance to auto and noise controls to low on all 3 settings. On both detail enhancement manual settings I started at 0 and increased each until I saw artifacts start to appear and then backed off a tad. I did not like the auto settings for either detail or noise. This is my starting point so far. My guess is some shows, like sports, might benefit from a higher noise control setting.

The video results have been great with the A3000. HD cable in particular is MUCH better with the A3000. Bluray sees a definite improvement as well. Contrast enhancement really works well. Blacks stay the same and colors pop more. Scenes with both bright and dark portions, sunlight and shaded areas, look more real. Detail, even with a Bluray source is much better. It's like I bought a better projector... This is with a 144" screen, I don't think the detail improvement would be near as noticeable, if at all, with a 65" screen.

Sound wise, the A3000 is a winner too. However, it does not seem to hold together as well as my RX-Z11 at high volume levels. Sound passages with single instruments, a piano or flute solo, sound fine. But when there's a lot going on, lots of instruments or sound sources, the A3000 sounds muddy compared to the Z11. Please note, this is at high volume levels. At normal listening levels It's hard for me to distinguish between the two.

These are just my subjective impressions. I am not an AV professional and I took no measurements.

Epson HC-8100 Projector
Tivo HD
Sony BDP-S360 Bluray player
144" DIY screen
seating distance 12 feet
post #1103 of 8871 Old 10-23-2010, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

It's pity there are only two speaker patterns though.

Absolutely. Limiting a scene to one of two speaker setups really limits the flexibility of Scene over the RX-Z11's memory. It would also be nice to have IR codes for directly accessing more than four scenes. ( Also a limit with Z11 memory...)
post #1104 of 8871 Old 10-23-2010, 06:03 PM

I've had a V2067(Euro A2000) to play with for a day or so and having used Onkyos for the last few years i'm astounded at how badly designed the menu system and remote are. I mean really, who on earth designs these things? AV receivers aren't the easiest things to set up but at least the Onkyo menus are fairly logical. The Yamaha has menus that look like a child has written them and i've had to constantly refer to the pdf manual to set it up. Anyway, just a couple of questions

1. Is there likely to be an option added to remove the OSD for adjusting volume? I know it doesn't bother some, but i find it ugly and more importantly worry about any potential accumulative damage to my plasma screen.

2. I like the front panel display telling me what sound format i'm listening to - DD, DTS DPLII Movie etc, however when i'm using DPLII on DD2.0, the front panel constantly alternates its display from 'DOLBY DIGITAL' to 'DPLII Movie'. This is quite distracting. The only option seems to be setting it to display the DSP program (using the info button) which is less useful as i don't use the DSP programs.
post #1105 of 8871 Old 10-24-2010, 01:43 AM
Advanced Member

I'd be happy if I could change the fron tpanel volume display from an ugly, fuzzy looking set of bars to the old numeric display used by my old HTR-5860, which coincidentally also used a short numeric display for its OSD. Actually, the front panel display is virtually useless for seeing any relavant information such as signal type, or being able to navigate the menus w/o a TV/monitor being on.

Yes, I'm nitpicking, but you do have to admit that the front panel display really is virtually useless.

post #1106 of 8871 Old 10-24-2010, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

The small volume display on the front panel was heavily criticized when they introduced the volume bar a few years ago. But from what I can see the permanent volume display at the extreme top right of the front panel now seems to be about the same size as the main characters displayed on the front panel. Is that not the case? It's still too small, but better than on my 1800.
post #1107 of 8871 Old 10-24-2010, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwangomango View Post

Is there likely to be an option added to remove the OSD for adjusting volume? I know it doesn't bother some, but i find it ugly and more importantly worry about any potential accumulative damage to my plasma screen.

You could try calling Yamaha support and expressing your concern. Not only is it ugly and intrusive, but the burn-in issue is a good argument to try. Without a lot of people complaining I don't see them doing anything about it.
post #1108 of 8871 Old 10-24-2010, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The small volume display on the front panel was heavily criticized when they introduced the volume bar a few years ago. But from what I can see the permanent volume display at the extreme top right of the front panel now seems to be about the same size as the main characters displayed on the front panel. Is that not the case? It's still too small, but better than on my 1800.

It's better than the microprint used in previous models, but I'd rather have the dynamic volume display in the center be numeric instead of a bar. I actually still have trouble reading that tiny corner of a number without squinting pretty hard, and if I'm more than three feet away I kind of want something easy to read, and a stack of bars doesn't give me exact numerics. I just want the ability to toggle to whichever suits my needs, not be stuck with something that's mediocre on both ends.

post #1109 of 8871 Old 10-24-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:

You could try calling Yamaha support and expressing your concern. Not only is it ugly and intrusive, but the burn-in issue is a good argument to try. Without a lot of people complaining I don't see them doing anything about it.

I've sent them an email so we will see. I fear the chances of a fix are slim though as it would require an additional option to be added to the menus - requiring extra programming work.
What's most annoying is that the previous 1900/3900 Yamahas had an option to toggle the OSD. I never understand why manufacturers constantly tinker with the menu systems each year - just find something that works and stick with it!
post #1110 of 8871 Old 10-24-2010, 10:17 AM

I am thinking of purchasing this receiver, but have a question. When the A1000 is in party mode can zone 2 accept input from an hdmi source? Apple TV only has hdmi and I would like to be able to connect my outdoor speakers to zone 2.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page