Receiver for Mythos STS speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-06-2010, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a pair of Mythos STS earlier this year and have been running them with an acurus act III processor and an acurus A200X3 power amp. I am considering upgrading the processor to a receiver to help simplify the system. I have seen a number of posts suggesting the Denon 3808ci and the Onkyo 800's, the Yamaha Z11, Pioneer Elites, and various other receivers.

I have been looking at last previous years models to help get the best receiver for the money. I have looked at the Denons the most so far. I don't know much about the Onkyo's except that people seem to think they are better then the Denons and are generally cheaper. I have also looked at the Marantz, Yamaha, and Pioneer briefly.

Are there any other brands I should consider or stay away from? Any specific models that anyone would recommend? Any help would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-06-2010, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I have the Mythos STS and typically run them with separates, but I did spend the past 3 months running them with an NAD T785 which did a very good job, but it is an expensive piece of equipment. Right now I'm trying them out with a Wyred4Sound STI-500 and it sounds fantastic, but is only a stereo integrated amp and probably not what you're after. Next up is the Pioneer VSX-32 receiver, but I won't know the results of that for a while.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, www.hometheaterhifi.com
Displays Editor, AnandTech.com
Contributor, HDGuru.com and Wirecutter.com
ISF Level II Certified Calibrator, ReferenceHomeTheater.com
post #3 of 5 Old 08-06-2010, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have Mythos 2's, and they sound great with my Pio SC-05.

Juan

My HT
post #4 of 5 Old 08-06-2010, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackrabbit View Post

I have the Mythos STS and typically run them with separates, but I did spend the past 3 months running them with an NAD T785 which did a very good job, but it is an expensive piece of equipment. Right now I'm trying them out with a Wyred4Sound STI-500 and it sounds fantastic, but is only a stereo integrated amp and probably not what you're after. Next up is the Pioneer VSX-32 receiver, but I won't know the results of that for a while.

I have considered keeping the A200X3 to power the STS and use the remainder of the receiver outputs to power surround sound.... what do you think?
post #5 of 5 Old 08-23-2010, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackrabbit View Post

Please let me know when you do get some results on the pioneer VSX-32. I have seen quite a few posts by people that liked the pioneer elite sc-07.

Just curious, but what is the hierarchy in the world of receivers? For example, are Denon and Onkyo both at about the same level with Pioneer Elite being a cut above them?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page