Please help suggest AVR to replace Yamaha 765 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 08-10-2010, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
any of the popular brands will be fine (Yamaha, Onkyo, Harman, Denon, etc)

I'm looking to replace my Yamaha 765 with the newer models. the important things for me, besides the ability to decode the common sound formats, are:

1. On screen display! I would like to see the changes (ie. volume) on screen. I understand that the new Yamaha 767 has this function but not sure about the other brands.

2. Speaker binding posts that accept spades or banana plugs!

thanks for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-10-2010, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 113
How much do you see yourself spending on a new AVR?

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #3 of 20 Old 08-10-2010, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
What's wrong with your 765?
post #4 of 20 Old 08-11-2010, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter

I've set aside a budget amounting to close to what the 765 costs when it was new. I could go over this some if necessary.

there is nothing wrong with my 765 but yesterday as I was hooking up the speaker wires, it was such as hassle and I just want an avr with binding post that accepts spades/banana plugs.

also as the machine is a bit far, I would like to have on-screen display so I can see what I'm doing on my TV screen.

thanks!
post #5 of 20 Old 08-11-2010, 05:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Have no idea how much it was it you paid for it? Full retail or half off?

Panasonic TC-P58S2, Onkyo TX-NR1007, Onkyo DV-SP1000, Onkyo DV-HD805, Onkyo BD-SP807, Onkyo DX-V801, Onkyo UP-A1, Onkyo TA-RW411, Onkyo EQ-201, Yamaha Speakers NS700/750 Series, Blue Jean Cables
post #6 of 20 Old 08-11-2010, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycorp View Post

I've set aside a budget amounting to close to what the 765 costs when it was new. I could go over this some if necessary.

there is nothing wrong with my 765 but yesterday as I was hooking up the speaker wires, it was such as hassle and I just want an avr with binding post that accepts spades/banana plugs.

also as the machine is a bit far, I would like to have on-screen display so I can see what I'm doing on my TV screen.

thanks!

The 765 does look like it accepts banana connectors. Spades may be a different bugger altogether. There are very few AVR's that leave room anymore for these connections. From the website(Yamaha) it seems the connections will do those bananas though. Did the post come with caps over them. I know that my older Onkyo 696 had caps that had to be removed. Maybe its the same for your 765.
post #7 of 20 Old 08-11-2010, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The 765 does look like it accepts banana connectors.

The older RX-V663 did.. (accepts banana connectors)

The RX-V765 is only last years model

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
post #8 of 20 Old 08-11-2010, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have a 765 and use banana plugs on my zone 1 and zone 2 speakers.
post #9 of 20 Old 08-11-2010, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Misencik View Post

I have a 765 and use banana plugs on my zone 1 and zone 2 speakers.

really? the holes on the caps look quite small.... I'll have to give it a try
however, it still doesn't have on-screen display.... I heard the newer 767 has on-screen display but the speaker binding post is probably the same as the 765 (not sure about this)
post #10 of 20 Old 08-11-2010, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by homank76 View Post

Have no idea how much it was it you paid for it? Full retail or half off?

I paid full retail for it and I'm willing to pay again or more for an avr that meets my requirements. I should have taken this into consideration before I bought the 765
post #11 of 20 Old 08-12-2010, 12:23 AM

Quote:

I paid full retail for it and I'm willing to pay again or more for an avr that meets my requirements. I should have taken this into consideration before I bought the 765

If I were you I will add an amp and keep the 765 as pre/pro... this will be the best bang for your buck. v765 is an excellent avr and has all you need
post #12 of 20 Old 08-12-2010, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaryd View Post

If I were you I will add an amp and keep the 765 as pre/pro... this will be the best bang for your buck. v765 is an excellent avr and has all you need

thanks I was thinking about that.... I have couple amps lying around, however I still won't get the onscreen display....

I called the dealer up today and he said the 765 will take banana plugs + has onscreen display. I removed the caps and tried shoving a banana plug in but there was no way that plug would go in! I doubt that this unit is capable of on-screen display either.... I'll call him up again tomorrow and ask him if there are any current make/model available which meets my requirement.
post #13 of 20 Old 08-12-2010, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thanks I was thinking about that.... I have couple amps lying around, however I still won't get the onscreen display....

I called the dealer up today and he said the 765 will take banana plugs + has onscreen display. I removed the caps and tried shoving a banana plug in but there was no way that plug would go in! I doubt that this unit is capable of on-screen display either.... I'll call him up again tomorrow and ask him if there are any current make/model available which meets my requirement.

Possibly bad banana plug? Is there some setting you have not adjusted for that on-screen display? I can't understand the reason for it not accepting banana connectors. I would definitely connect those amps and then go from the amps with the banana plugs. Go through the manual and see if a setting is off for your display. You may end up really surprised at what you already have without spending any money.
post #14 of 20 Old 08-12-2010, 08:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:

What banana plugs are you using? Page 13 of the manual shows you that it accepts banana plugs unless you have a European or Asian model.

Afro GT
post #15 of 20 Old 08-13-2010, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Are you sure you know where banana plugs go? They go in the middle of the red and black speaker connectors, there is no cap to take off, it definitely takes this type of plug. They do not go in the rca jacks or any other input.
post #16 of 20 Old 08-15-2010, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

thanks everyone! I have the Asian model and I went to the dealer on Friday and he showed me how to put the banana plug in.... Apparently I have to remove this inner cap on all the caps! once removed I am able to plug the banana cap in! who would've known!
now to the on-screen display! they insist that the 765 is capable of this! I'll have to go through the manual again and see if I can get this to work! if so then it would be great!
post #17 of 20 Old 08-15-2010, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thanks everyone! I have the Asian model and I went to the dealer on Friday and he showed me how to put the banana plug in.... Apparently I have to remove this inner cap on all the caps! once removed I am able to plug the banana cap in! who would've known!
now to the on-screen display! they insist that the 765 is capable of this! I'll have to go through the manual again and see if I can get this to work! if so then it would be great!

Me, I would've known. Seen it before and will problably see it again. Why do put caps on some versions and none on the others is the real question. That 765 should do service just fine. Need more power in the future? Add an amp. As close as future proof as you will ever get. Good luck and enjoy, hope everything works as you want.
post #18 of 20 Old 08-16-2010, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

Me, I would've known. Seen it before and will problably see it again. Why do put caps on some versions and none on the others is the real question. That 765 should do service just fine. Need more power in the future? Add an amp. As close as future proof as you will ever get. Good luck and enjoy, hope everything works as you want.

thanks! I wouldn't have figured it out since this is my first AVR. I still don't understand why they put that inner cap thing which prevented me from shoving the banana plug in....

anyone have ideas on the on-screen user interface? whether this is possible on the 765? now I kind of don't want to sell it since I put a couple big scratches on it over the weekend stacking my pre-amp on top of it probably wouldn't get the $$
post #19 of 20 Old 08-16-2010, 07:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
^^^

they put it on the "rest of the world" (i.e. non-usa) models so that those who have electrical outlets with a similar plug pattern will not accidentally plug a power cord into their speaker ports...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #20 of 20 Old 08-17-2010, 01:31 PM

Liked: 16
I have a 765 and I can get the on screen display to show up on my television. I just have the television hooked up to the receiver, and when I hit settings, it shows up on the screen. It also shows up if I hit options -- it's black and white but it is an on screen display and it gets the job done.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page