Pioneer VSX-820-K NO SOUND! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 08-13-2010, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hooking this up as a favor for a friend. He only has two speakers (no surround) and is using the AVR primarily becaus eof HDMI switching, Sirius, iPod, etc.

The setup is below...

HD-DVD -> HDMI -> AVR (Pioneer 820) -> HDMI -> Panny Plasma
Cable Box -> HDMI ->

here's my problem: I got everything hooked up and I got a great picture but NO SOUND!

I changed out: new speakers, new speaker cables, new HDMI cables, I changed the AVR's speaker switch to A, B, A+B. I tried surround, and stereo, I tried RCA L/R for sound (at this point, I wasn't sure if the HDMI carried sound)....nothing worked!

Someone had run off with the instruction manual and I looked it up only but it was a little difficult to peruse.

Is the amp in the receiver out?? Is it because I only had the front L/R & no surround? BTW, I also tried the B speaker posts...nothing worked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-13-2010, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Link to user's manual.

If you can hear audio from the tv then you'll need to turn off the audio pass through in the receiver. See page 39 in the manual.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #3 of 17 Old 08-15-2010, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

His TV is just a monitor (no speakers) but I checked the setting anyway....the audio pass was already off

I'm thinking it is a bum amp. I've set up plenty of these....it can't be that peculiar of a device that it won't mane a sound after all I've put it through.

It won't even do test tones.
post #4 of 17 Old 08-15-2010, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Have you tried using optical or coax for audio input? You'll need to assign the port you run the optical/coax to the hdmi port you are using. If that doesn't work you may need to return it.

Have you tried the radio? Thats the easiest to get working.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #5 of 17 Old 08-15-2010, 08:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I would also try the radio. But the unit might be defective.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #6 of 17 Old 08-16-2010, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I did not do optical or coax. Since the setup is stereo only, I did do analog stereo out of the cable box....nothing

Also did try the radio...nothing.

Sent back. Gonna be embarassed if the replacement gives me issues and it turns out to be something simple that I didn't do on the first one.
post #7 of 17 Old 08-16-2010, 11:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

did you use signal select to tell the avr to use the analog connections for the audio, not the hdmi connection?

did you tell the cable box to send out whatever you wanted it to?

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #8 of 17 Old 08-16-2010, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Well ... if the radio don't work ...

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #9 of 17 Old 08-18-2010, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

did you use signal select to tell the avr to use the analog connections for the audio, not the hdmi connection?

did you tell the cable box to send out whatever you wanted it to?

Yes. ONce the default of HDMI didn't work, I did all of those things without success.

Actually one of the last things I thought to do (should have thought of it earlier) were the test tones. When they didn't work, I figured that was the tell-tell sign of a bad amp (since I knew it wasn't the speakers at that point).
post #10 of 17 Old 01-14-2011, 02:15 PM

Same problem, just got it all set up and no sound, not even a test signal. Video pass through works fine. I keep thinking theres some option to check but I think I've tried everything. Wondering if OP got the new model in and it worked or if he tried a different brand?
post #11 of 17 Old 01-15-2011, 10:23 AM

So here was the problem, I wanted to use optical to send audio from the pc to the receiver and have the hdmi connected straight to the tv (for 3D). When I had connected the hdmi to the receiver and tried video pass through the sound was still not working because I had optical out set on the pc. When I switched audio out to HDMI I suddenly had 5.1! (but no 3d)

This leads me to believe I have a bad optical cable. The pc is telling me its sending a signal through it, but the receiver is telling me theres no source. When there is no optical source on the input it flashes its name for a minute, in this case "digital" and then switches to analog.
post #12 of 17 Old 01-30-2011, 12:10 PM

Brand new out of the box with a bad amp. I tried everything, spent hours.
The key clue was the test sound of the speaker setup, was not there.
I returned it and in minutes had the replacement working.
post #13 of 17 Old 02-10-2011, 09:24 PM

So just got my 820 hooked up to my tv and to test things out I decided to run Office Space on PS3 through it. ok, got video after turning on the receiver but no sound. I thought one of the features was the receiver did not have to be on to watch and listen to the tv. Now my wife is looking at me funny wondering WTF. And I am now wondering the same about the receiver. Looks like I will now have to take the tv off the wall and run an optical cable to the receiver to get sound outside of running the speakers full time. Any help.
post #14 of 17 Old 06-26-2012, 08:49 PM

man, i don't know if you still need the help, but if you do, just press 'receiver' and then '0' (which is also the speaker button) on the remote.. In my understanding, u've got the same problem I had for over a year. My previous 'solution' was just to unplug all the cables and change them to another source that was working. Once I ran out o sources, i had to find the real solution, with was pretty simple, but pretty hard to find...

hope it was useful.
post #15 of 17 Old 11-14-2012, 06:36 AM

hello, new pioneer vsx 822k was working fine till yesterday, today stopped giving sound. tried all the inputs and output, when set the HDMI to THROUGH the sound goes to the TV, but no sound when AMP selected. so sound from net radio, no sound from airplay or any input. please help guys.
post #16 of 17 Old 03-22-2014, 06:29 AM

Hello!  Same receiver, same problem here.  I fell asleep watching TV.  When I woke up the volume wasn't working at all.  I took it in for warranty repair and they said nothing was wrong with it, as if I must have had the Speaker button off.  I had a hard time believing that but I didn't immediately test it to see that was indeed true.  I let it sit unhooked for 9 months until just now.  It's in a family vacation home so it barely gets any use.  Now the warranty expired and still no sound.  Did a full reset.   No test tones from the MCACC.  Pioneer wasn't helpful on the phone.  You think Best Buy would give in and try to save a customer?

post #17 of 17 Old 07-03-2014, 03:44 AM

I have a 820k running only in stereo. Then all at once the right side sounded dead while playing at low volumes. So I unhooked the left to hear what the right was doing. It was making a very soft almost distorted sound. Tried new wires, the built in stereo, and swapped channels to diagnose the problem the best I know how. My rear R+L surround channels, Center, Front A Left and B Left all work. Only the B right and A right are low volume and distorted garble. I called Pioneer and they were not helpful at all. Horrible and very disrespectful I might add and I even talked to a manager that would 10x more disrespectful then the poor customer service. But at least I will never buy a Pioneer product again.

From my understanding. The front L+R run on 1 amp. The rears run on 1 amp and the center channel in on one amp and the B channels have their own amp per customer service at Pioneer. So do you guys think I am looking at a motherboard issue or is there a DSP board I can swap out that might fix my issue?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page