Got a minute? How does/did your Panasonic XR series receiver sound? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-15-2010, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've tried to read the various XR receiver threads, but most dwell on connection issues, HDMI problems, blah blah blah.

If you have ever had any of the XR series receivers pass through your system, could you post your opinion of its SOUND? Please include whether you were listening to sources via digital or analog inputs and the speakers used

For me, I first compared the XR57 against a Denon with a pair of Definitive Technology BP6B's. The sound was very simiIar, but I was doing the switching and couldn't focus on the midrange presence. The bass was slightly louder, but treble recessed with the Denon. I felt the Panasonic had a cleaner sound. I'm still comparing the XR57 to an XR
10 with a pair of Primus 250's set to large in stereo. No sub. So far it seems like the XR10 has a more forward and realistic midrange vs. the XR57, but the bass is fuller on the 57. My source is my cables service's music channels, which are 2.0 Dolby Digital, from the TV to the reciever via optical.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-16-2010, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After a low (conversation) level listening session last night, XR10 has brighter top end and forward mids compared to XR57. Bass seems pretty much the same. I like the forward character, but not the brightness. This was with a pair of Primus 250's in full range stereo. Tonight, I'll compare the Denon AVR2803 in DIRECT mode to the 57.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-16-2010, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 107
@ its time of introduction by Panasonic 5 years back, the XR series was a good seller. The products were actually designed by Texas Instruments using their audio DSP and Class D solution. A good value in its days but now dated and lacks required features. Basic weaknesses were (2), frequency response was not flat very bright treble range, and if driving low impedance 4 Ohm loudspeakers hard it could deliver a damaging high frequency oscillaton when overloaded.

Now you can find these selling for $50-75 on Craig's List..

Just my $0.00..
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page