Please help - Pioneer 1120 or the Onkyo 608? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-15-2010, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
prawn_sandwich's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to keep my budget under $500, both the Pioneer 1120 (special sale) and Onkyo are receivers I have been looking at for some time now. Which one should i get?
I have a 55" Samsung c6300 + Sony BX37 Blu ray player + Comcast HD box (motorola) and Infiniti TSS-1200 5.1 speaker set.

Thanks in advance.

Samsung UN55D6400, Comcast HD DVR, Infinity TSS-1200 speakers, Pioneer VSX-1120k
prawn_sandwich is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 08-15-2010, 02:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Paperboy2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Randolph, New Jersey
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Curious about this as well....I have the 608, but I might return it for the 1120. Is this a no brainer for most of the 'experts' here? I have Directv and while some people talk about audio drop outs with onkyo and Directv, I haven't had those issues.
Paperboy2003 is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 08-15-2010, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
palehorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,393
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperboy2003 View Post

Curious about this as well....I have the 608, but I might return it for the 1120. Is this a no brainer for most of the 'experts' here? I have Directv and while some people talk about audio drop outs with onkyo and Directv, I haven't had those issues.

Simply put, the 1120 blows the 608 out of the water, especially if you are interested in its video upscaling capabilities. The newegg deal makes it a no-brainer...
palehorse is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 08-15-2010, 03:14 PM
Member
 
GregHolt12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What type of cailbration does the 1120 use? How does it compare to Audyssey or YPAO?

ÂYes, my good man, IÂll have the milk steak, boiled over hard, and your finest jelly beans ... raw. - Charlie Kelly
GregHolt12 is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 08-15-2010, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
prawn_sandwich's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse View Post

Simply put, the 1120 blows the 608 out of the water, especially if you are interested in its video upscaling capabilities. The newegg deal makes it a no-brainer...

I read a post on the official 1120 thread and someone mentioned Newegg is not an authorised seller so i'm having second thoughts. Newegg is an exceptional website don;t get me wrong but I'd hope the warranty is honored.

Samsung UN55D6400, Comcast HD DVR, Infinity TSS-1200 speakers, Pioneer VSX-1120k
prawn_sandwich is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 08-15-2010, 04:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Paperboy2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Randolph, New Jersey
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by prawn_sandwich View Post


I read a post on the official 1120 thread and someone mentioned Newegg is not an authorised seller so i'm having second thoughts. Newegg is an exceptional website don;t get me wrong but I'd hope the warranty is honored.

In for one......called a very well known authorized dealer and got them to match the newegg price. I wouldn't have had a problem with newegg, but since they also charge tax (in nj) I figured it made sense to go with an authorized dealer and save the tax.
Paperboy2003 is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 08-15-2010, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
1120 ten times over.
winston9332 is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 08-15-2010, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
prawn_sandwich's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperboy2003 View Post

In for one......called a very well known authorized dealer and got them to match the newegg price. I wouldn't have had a problem with newegg, but since they also charge tax (in nj) I figured it made sense to go with an authorized dealer and save the tax.

If i may ask who did you PM?

Samsung UN55D6400, Comcast HD DVR, Infinity TSS-1200 speakers, Pioneer VSX-1120k
prawn_sandwich is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off