post #271 of 2460 Old 10-26-2010, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShaw View Post

eddie_p

I talked to a tech at Marantz yesterday and asked him if I were to change out my 7002 for the 7005 would I notice any difference in the PQ and AQ between them. He said, "No not really"

JimShaw, thanks for the info!
A bit disappointed with the answer from the Marantz tech though, surely you must hear a little improvement if you're (for example) using Audyssey DSX and Dynamic Volume on a bistreamed HD-surround track? I'm not suggestion it should sound "better" than the sound of (for example) Audyssey EQ Flat on my current SR7002, but hopefully you would at least hear a difference...?
Oh well, maybe I can borrow a SR7005 unit from a local store here in Sweden and try it out myself...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2460 Old 10-26-2010, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie_p View Post

A bit dissapointed with the answer from the Marantz tech though, surely you must hear a little improvement if you're (for example) using Audyssey DSX and Dynamic Volume on a bistreamed HD-surround track? I'm not suggestion it should sound "better" than the sound of (for example) Audyssey EQ Flat on my current SR7002, but hopefully you would at least hear a difference...?
Oh well, maybe I can borrow a SR7005 unit from a local store here in Sweden and try it out myself...

If you do, please post your thoughts.

8.3 Surround, protected by APC H15 & UPS BC750G
Speakers: SpeakerCraft: 6 AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Woofers: SVS PB13-Ultra (1), HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Samsung PN64F8500
Oppo 93, Denon 4311CI, Harmony 1100, 9 Noctua cooling fans, Darbee Darblet
post #273 of 2460 Old 10-27-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post

I have wondered about this guy. I don't anything about him but he has been running the exact same ad for a used PSB Imagine system for ~ a year or so.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....tem-exceptiona

I got ROYALLY screwed by this guy. Wouldn't let me send back a very expensive sub I bought and changed my mind on.

BUYER BEWARE OF THIS GUY
post #274 of 2460 Old 10-27-2010, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by zork52 View Post

I got ROYALLY screwed by this guy. Wouldn't let me send back a very expensive sub I bought and changed my mind on.

BUYER BEWARE OF THIS GUY

Changing your mind isn't a good reason to cancel a deal, that was your fault,

BEWARE OF YOU
post #275 of 2460 Old 10-28-2010, 01:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zork52 View Post

BUYER BEWARE OF THIS GUY

So individual sellers have to cater to people who "change" their mind!

JFC

CD

Reality Based.
post #276 of 2460 Old 11-01-2010, 02:59 PM

QUOTE="aszatk01"]Thank you all for the valuable info. 1 question:

Can you adjust subwoofer level up or down with a button (either on stock remote or programed into a logitech)? My old Sony makes me go through 4 menus to get to that setting ... Rather annoying if want to make fine tune adjustments on the fly.
Thanks in advance[/quote]
post #277 of 2460 Old 11-01-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GqMagic View Post

Changing your mind isn't a good reason to cancel a deal, that was your fault,

BEWARE OF YOU

Uh, Yuh,

I get that, but I saw where he took other pieces back from customers and let them upgrade which I was perfectly willing and wanting to do, that is spend MORE money as in hundreds more dollars, but he wouldn't let me do that.

I wasn't asking for refund, I was asking to buy something more expensive!!

His loss as a customer.
post #278 of 2460 Old 11-01-2010, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

A bit disappointed with the answer from the Marantz tech though, surely you must hear a little improvement if you're (for example) using Audyssey DSX and Dynamic Volume on a bistreamed HD-surround track? I'm not suggestion it should sound "better" than the sound of (for example) Audyssey EQ Flat on my current SR7002, but hopefully you would at least hear a difference...?

As soon as I install, I will no longer will be using my SR7002 or getting the 7005. I purchased a Denon

Samsung PN64F8500
post #279 of 2460 Old 11-01-2010, 06:24 PM

Liked: 12
Hey all! Still very happy with my SR7005 - the more I own it, the more I'm loving it. (People are liking its brother, the AV7005 too).

I did have one odd thing happen tonight that's a bit worriesome, but hopfully just a fluke.

I used my Harmony to turn on my system tonight (that is TV and AV Receiver directly after, which was on standby [red light] as per usual) and heard a quite loud static/brief burst of audio (as in what was being fed to it), then the TV came on, but the input was blank. Switching inputs did not help.

I switched off the AVR, then back on, and all was normal.

I also smelled something "strange" afterwards. It definitely wasn't a burnt smell...more like a new electronics smell (right after unboxing).

I'm not sure what this could have been. I've tested and everything's working great - no problems.

Weird...
post #280 of 2460 Old 11-01-2010, 08:10 PM

An update...

Shortly after posting this I experienced several housewide brownouts and a series of short power failures, so I'm guessing the cause of my initial problem is some unstable electricity.

I can also hear my computers UPS clicking on and off into saftey mode even as I type this (though I'm not seeing any other signs of brownouts, but obviously there's some instability going on).

My home theater is all connected through a power center/battery backup, so my guess what happened here is, the electricity right now is unstable, and turning on my system was too much of a draw temporarily (even for the battery with low in-voltage) given that, so the receiver probably clicked into some sort of protection mode to protect itself. At least, that's what I hope happened.

At any rate, the smell I smelled wasn't what I'd classify as a "bad" smell (could have even been the power center instead), and everything with the receiver is working perfectly, so hopefully all is functioning normally and the thing just reacted to the wonky power situation here, which explains why I've used it for weeks without experiencing anything like this. =)
post #281 of 2460 Old 11-01-2010, 08:36 PM

According to marantz.com product and support page for SR-7005:

"marantz free iPhone/iPod Touch App "Wizz App" new version was released! Please download it from iTunes Store (Nov.1.2010)"

I've pulled it down on my iPhone (ver 2.22) however it STILL does not recognize my 7500 and there is STILL not any newer firmware for the 7500.

Anyone have any luck getting this app to work?

(Note I can access internet radio via the AVR and access the web gui via safari on the iPhone or web browser on my desktop just fine, so I know the networking is working fine on the AVR)
post #282 of 2460 Old 11-02-2010, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShaw View Post

As soon as I install, I will no longer will be using my SR7002 or getting the 7005. I purchased a Denon

Ok, guess you went for a 4311? How does that compare to your previous SR7002 (my choice is between a 4311 and 7005 actually, so your thoughts on this would be very interesting)...?
post #283 of 2460 Old 11-02-2010, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abricko View Post

According to marantz.com product and support page for SR-7005:

"marantz free iPhone/iPod Touch App "Wizz App" new version was released! Please download it from iTunes Store (Nov.1.2010)"

I've pulled it down on my iPhone (ver 2.22) however it STILL does not recognize my 7500 and there is STILL not any newer firmware for the 7500.

Anyone have any luck getting this app to work?

(Note I can access internet radio via the AVR and access the web gui via safari on the iPhone or web browser on my desktop just fine, so I know the networking is working fine on the AVR)

The App works fine for me (iPad) and has as of the previous version. When you pull it up, besides DEMO Mode, you should see your receiver listed. If it's not, it's not detecting it for some reason.

A few things to check:
- Are you trying with your AV Receiver powered on (not in standby)?
- Are you both connected to the same wireless network?
- Make sure your router isn't blocking interdevice traffic somehow.

Sorry...I know all of this is rather general...if I think of anything more specific, I'll let you know.
post #284 of 2460 Old 11-02-2010, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ok, guess you went for a 4311? How does that compare to your previous SR7002 (my choice is between a 4311 and 7005 actually, so your thoughts on this would be very interesting)...?

I ended up with a fantastic price on the Denon 5308

Samsung PN64F8500
post #285 of 2460 Old 11-02-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:

The problem is that he likes isn't necessarily what you like. The best bet would be to listen to both of them if you can. In any case, we can help you with either one
post #286 of 2460 Old 11-02-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Hutnicki View Post

The problem is that he likes isn't necessarily what you like. The best bet would be to listen to both of them if you can. In any case, we can help you with either one

Sorry, but I don't think you can, since I live in Sweden...
Appreciate the advice though, only problem is there aren't any stores here in Sweden that sells both Marantz and Denon units (yes, it's crazy, I know!).
I think this is due to certain "delivery and sales arrangements between the stores/sellers and the brands/companies", but it still doesn't make any sense to me since its almost impossible to make a "direct comparison" between (for example) a 4311 against a 7005-unit.

Gotta say though, still very pleased with my SR7002 (especially in Pure direct mode, although it could use a little more "punch" in multichannel sometimes), so maybe I'll wait for a new amp a little while longer. If you were able to upgrade the SR7005 to the latest version of Audyssey I would not have hesitated, but now I'm not so sure... Anyone heard any news of this by the way, could it be possible with a future firmware update for the SR7005 in order to get the latest version of Audyssey (XT32)? Or is this impossible (due to hardware limitations)?
post #287 of 2460 Old 11-02-2010, 03:08 PM

I can access the internet from the AVR fine (internet radio, flickr, pandora...)

I can (supposedly) check for updates and features via the AVR, though it hasn't ever found an update (displays "latest") or new features/upgrades.

If I visit the IP address of the receiver via a web browser either on my iPhone or on a computer on the home network I get the (clunky) web gui for the AVR and can interact with it.

The app has NEVER showed me anything other than that DEMO.

I've tried setting the AVR to use DHCP or STATIC IP, changed the "friendly name" and still the app does not find the receiver.

I've done the "processor" reset that's described in the manual and have deleted the app and re-downloaded it... still doesn't find the receiver.

I REALLY wish they had an option to manually specify an IP of a receiver in the app.

Other than this buggy app, I LOVE this receiver and can't wait until AirPlay is released!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupta View Post

The App works fine for me (iPad) and has as of the previous version. When you pull it up, besides DEMO Mode, you should see your receiver listed. If it's not, it's not detecting it for some reason.

A few things to check:
- Are you trying with your AV Receiver powered on (not in standby)?
- Are you both connected to the same wireless network?
- Make sure your router isn't blocking interdevice traffic somehow.

Sorry...I know all of this is rather general...if I think of anything more specific, I'll let you know.

post #288 of 2460 Old 11-02-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:

I can access the internet from the AVR fine (internet radio, flickr, pandora...)

I can (supposedly) check for updates and features via the AVR, though it hasn't ever found an update (displays "latest") or new features/upgrades.

If I visit the IP address of the receiver via a web browser either on my iPhone or on a computer on the home network I get the (clunky) web gui for the AVR and can interact with it.

The app has NEVER showed me anything other than that DEMO.

I've tried setting the AVR to use DHCP or STATIC IP, changed the "friendly name" and still the app does not find the receiver.

I've done the "processor" reset that's described in the manual and have deleted the app and re-downloaded it... still doesn't find the receiver.

I REALLY wish they had an option to manually specify an IP of a receiver in the app.

Other than this buggy app, I LOVE this receiver and can't wait until AirPlay is released!

Very weird. I don't know what to tell you... Was going to ask if your iPhone was for certain connected via Wi-Fi and not 3G to the same network, but the IP wouldn't work if it wasn't...

I have a different network than I used to, but my old router (as I previously touched on) had a setting blocking devices from communicating with each other (can't remember the name unfortunately...I want to say "Block Interconnected Device Activity" or something along those lines, but I doubt that was exactly it), but I would think that would prevent your computer/web browser from talking to the receiver too...

I keep feeling like this isn't the receiver but some sort of router/firewall connection issue, but I can't be more sure. Sorry =o/ You could try, if you haven't already, rebooting the iPhone and/or disconnecting/reconnecting to your Wi-Fi network, but this is a longshot.
post #289 of 2460 Old 11-03-2010, 01:37 PM

I know the setting your talking of and it's off (otherwise other services on my LAN wouldn't be accessible such as my DVR remote control and airmouse...) that setting essentially vlans each device so they can't talk to each other.

Something wonky is going on and I suspect it's either my receiver (maybe there's another factory reset I can do that's not outlined in the manual) or the app is still flaky. Either way I probably need to contact Marantz but I'll have to wait until i'm at home during their business hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupta View Post

Very weird. I don't know what to tell you... Was going to ask if your iPhone was for certain connected via Wi-Fi and not 3G to the same network, but the IP wouldn't work if it wasn't...

I have a different network than I used to, but my old router (as I previously touched on) had a setting blocking devices from communicating with each other (can't remember the name unfortunately...I want to say "Block Interconnected Device Activity" or something along those lines, but I doubt that was exactly it), but I would think that would prevent your computer/web browser from talking to the receiver too...

I keep feeling like this isn't the receiver but some sort of router/firewall connection issue, but I can't be more sure. Sorry =o/ You could try, if you haven't already, rebooting the iPhone and/or disconnecting/reconnecting to your Wi-Fi network, but this is a longshot.

post #290 of 2460 Old 11-03-2010, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
My sr7005 is FINALLY coming in either end of this week or early next. I hope this three week wait is worth it.

All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

post #291 of 2460 Old 11-03-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_mahaney View Post
My sr7005 is FINALLY coming in either end of this week or early next. I hope this three week wait is worth it.
I have missed my delievery 2 days now Hopefully tomorrow will be my day. Hopefully the wait is not too much longer for you.
post #292 of 2460 Old 11-04-2010, 06:25 AM

I've my SR7005 installed for 5 day's looks and sounds very good!

I had installed the Iphone App already and used it in demo mode.
now with the receiver in the network it does not work, for the receiver only demo mode.

I've hardreset the ipod.... (complete factory reset)
did install everything again by hand....

The Ipod can connect to the webinterface of the SR7005, so within the network they can speak to each other.

Does somebody have a clue?
post #293 of 2460 Old 11-04-2010, 04:17 PM

Same issue as you, see a few posts up.

I've inquired on a few different forums and have sent a "VIP Email" to Marantz and have yet to hear a reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuif73 View Post

I've my SR7005 installed for 5 day's looks and sounds very good!

I had installed the Iphone App already and used it in demo mode.
now with the receiver in the network it does not work, for the receiver only demo mode.

I've hardreset the ipod.... (complete factory reset)
did install everything again by hand....

The Ipod can connect to the webinterface of the SR7005, so within the network they can speak to each other.

Does somebody have a clue?

post #294 of 2460 Old 11-05-2010, 08:02 AM

Just picked up a SR7005....beautiful unit, initially sounds good but not yet run Audyssey simply due to the fact that I concurrently bought a new speaker set that requires break in at low volume.

Seems to have plenty of power (for those brief moments when turned up) and a great feature set...although I am no expert by any means!!

Which leads to my question: I have hooked all sources to the avr (via hdmi), then 1 hdmi to TV. The drawback appears to be if I want to watch TV (with volume off) while listening to music.....I cannot...its either one or the other given my simple set up and the fact that the avr now controls everything. I sometimes like to turn on music if friends are over to watch a hockey game (Canada, eh!) but do not appear able to do this. I suppose I could hook up DVR directly to the TV via hdmi with toslink to avr but this is not ideal of course. Does anyone know how to overcome this? Thanks in advance.
post #295 of 2460 Old 11-05-2010, 08:16 AM

Larry, I haven't actually tried it yet but my reading of the manual suggested that one could do this via the 'Source Select' option buried in one of the menus. (I may not have the name exactly correct; I'm not at home right now).

I recall being puzzled as to what this option would be used for until I realized that it would allow me to accomplish just what you're wanting to do. Basically it allows you to select a video source to attach to one of the other selections (CD/Internet Radio/etc.).
post #296 of 2460 Old 11-05-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrip View Post

Larry, I haven't actually tried it yet but my reading of the manual suggested that one could do this via the 'Source Select' option buried in one of the menus. (I may not have the name exactly correct; I'm not at home right now).

I recall being puzzled as to what this option would be used for until I realized that it would allow me to accomplish just what you're wanting to do. Basically it allows you to select a video source to attach to one of the other selections (CD/Internet Radio/etc.).

Thanks MTrip! I remember seeing this too but was (initially) confused....but will take another read tonight when I get home. My only concern is that I hope its not too cumbersome to do each time. (is it easy or do you have to navigate 22 sub-menus to get there....just curious?)

Have only had the unit a few days so have not had the chance to become 100% comfortable with the menu.....
post #297 of 2460 Old 11-05-2010, 08:39 AM

There is a "source select" in the input menu a few steps in which allows you to choose the video displayed per input, so if you're on a music input or radio input you _could_ choose your Satellite source for video. Now I will say that I've tired it and it did not display video from the selected source so i'm not sure what's going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryPana View Post

Just picked up a SR7005....beautiful unit, initially sounds good but not yet run Audyssey simply due to the fact that I concurrently bought a new speaker set that requires break in at low volume.

Seems to have plenty of power (for those brief moments when turned up) and a great feature set...although I am no expert by any means!!

Which leads to my question: I have hooked all sources to the avr (via hdmi), then 1 hdmi to TV. The drawback appears to be if I want to watch TV (with volume off) while listening to music.....I cannot...its either one or the other given my simple set up and the fact that the avr now controls everything. I sometimes like to turn on music if friends are over to watch a hockey game (Canada, eh!) but do not appear able to do this. I suppose I could hook up DVR directly to the TV via hdmi with toslink to avr but this is not ideal of course. Does anyone know how to overcome this? Thanks in advance.

post #298 of 2460 Old 11-05-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
There is a "source select" in the input menu a few steps in which allows you to choose the video displayed per input, so if you're on a music input or radio input you _could_ choose your Satellite source for video. Now I will say that I've tired it and it did not display video from the selected source so i'm not sure what's going on.
Yes, I remember seeing such a screen but will check tonight. Also, it appeared (again on my initial newbie reading) that messing with those input menus was if you wanted a more permanent solution, ie, not just for a couple of hours watching the game simultaneously listening to tunes (lossless of course ). Thanks folks.
post #299 of 2460 Old 11-05-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:

Same issue as you, see a few posts up.

I've inquired on a few different forums and have sent a "VIP Email" to Marantz and have yet to hear a reply.

Would be good to hear what and if they are doing something to solve it.
post #300 of 2460 Old 11-05-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:

Ok, found the source select menu but didn't work for me either....description seemed appropriate too. Will keep trying. I want to avoid having run another cable (toslink from music files to avr) only as a last resort. Thanks.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz , Marantz Sr7005 Audio Video Receiver Black
Gear in this thread - Sr7005 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page