The Official Marantz SR7005 Receiver Page!! - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 2410 Old 11-06-2010, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Still nothing back, but I did find a Marantz marketing guy who offered to investigate and try to get help for us. I told him the issue is effecting more than just my receiver. I've emailed him as of yesterday so we'll see. I'll keep this post updated when/if I find out anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuif73 View Post

Would be good to hear what and if they are doing something to solve it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 2410 Old 11-06-2010, 08:15 AM

I know, seems logical it should work as described, I'll bet it's some kind of digital restriction, like how in the older receivers (and even this one) if you want to send audio over and out to the second (and third) zones it has to be ANALOG. I've yet to test an analog source. I'm just hoping it's a bug and will be fixed once they update the firmware. I'm hoping the guy I found who works for Marketing at Marantz can put me in contact with engineering/support so I can spill these bugs to them, or at least point them to this forum as a good example for bugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryPana View Post

Ok, found the source select menu but didn't work for me either....description seemed appropriate too. Will keep trying. I want to avoid having run another cable (toslink from music files to avr) only as a last resort. Thanks.

post #303 of 2410 Old 11-06-2010, 08:46 AM

Hey now! I'm considering purchasing the Marantz SR7005 after my Onkyo 805 became thrashed during transit for repair; I know the Marantz would be a huge upgrade from what I previously had. Anyways, my questions is - the "flasher" input on the rear of the Marantz for an IR input, say a Harmony IR extender?

Thanks
post #304 of 2410 Old 11-06-2010, 09:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Alright, I finally got my sr7005 today. So far, I'm really enjoying the sound, but I'm having issues with some other things. The fact that there are no buttons for direct access to sources is doing a number on my patience trying to set up my Harmony One. Can anyone here with a Harmony comment on how they set up their activities (specifically, getting the receiver to go to a certain input)? Additionally, I'm really finding Dynamic EQ to be too much, which is unfortunate because that was a feature I was looking forward to. Anyway, I've still got some adjusting to do, but if anyone can help with the Harmony stuff, it would be much appreciated.

All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

post #305 of 2410 Old 11-07-2010, 11:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_mahaney View Post

Alright, I finally got my sr7005 today. So far, I'm really enjoying the sound, but I'm having issues with some other things. The fact that there are no buttons for direct access to sources is doing a number on my patience trying to set up my Harmony One. Can anyone here with a Harmony comment on how they set up their activities (specifically, getting the receiver to go to a certain input)? Additionally, I'm really finding Dynamic EQ to be too much, which is unfortunate because that was a feature I was looking forward to. Anyway, I've still got some adjusting to do, but if anyone can help with the Harmony stuff, it would be much appreciated.

If you haven't yet, try posting in the Harmony threads...

Good luck.

Mike
post #306 of 2410 Old 11-07-2010, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post

If you haven't yet, try posting in the Harmony threads...

Good luck.

Mike

Actually, I figured out a temporary work-around with the input situation. I think I've finally got the sound dialed in the way I like it, and I'm really enjoying the receiver so far. However, I too am not able to use the Wizz app for my iPod touch. My network recognizes the receiver (I can listen to Napster, view the limited UI over the network, etc), but when I open the app, it only says DEMO, even after refreshing.

post #307 of 2410 Old 11-07-2010, 06:01 PM

I got my Sr7005 last week and I am loving it. I promise who hasn't decided to buy it one go head and buy it you will not be disappointed. I am using it on my living room with my two front speakers (digital phase AP2s ) temporarily till my dedicated home theater room get finished. Sound quality I get it completely natural and uncolored. I am going to use all other features when I hook my all 5 speakers in my HT room. I will update it next week when I move it to my HT room.
post #308 of 2410 Old 11-07-2010, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I must say that the flaky iPhone app is the only disappointment so far.
post #309 of 2410 Old 11-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by durack View Post

Agreed.

post #310 of 2410 Old 11-07-2010, 07:12 PM

Picked up my SR-7005 last Friday. Spent some time over the weekend with it, though not as much as I would have liked. Very happy with the feature set, and happy to say the Android application works pretty well. I am going to start giving the developer (independent) some feedback and help with debugging features.

Anyway, quite happy with it thus far, but have 1 issue. I use an HTPC running 1080p all through HDMI to the receiver. When I power down the receiver, everything is fine, though I want to get the passthrough figured out at some point. However, upon powering up, some type of signal is sent to the HTPC and it reboots hard. It only happens on power up, but happens every time. I have updated BIOS, video, audio, chipset, etc etc on the HTPC, and made sure the SR-7005 was also up to date.

Anyone else having any issues even similar?

Other than that, loving it, the feature set, and the sound are both spot on for my needs.

Excess Energy in everything
XSNRG Rec/Theater Build
post #311 of 2410 Old 11-08-2010, 07:30 AM

I verified this. Per input, if you plan on using/displaying a video source OTHER than the input's native "source" you must choose an ANALOG source otherwise nothing is output to the TV/Monitor.

Another stupid "digital" limitation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abricko View Post

I know, seems logical it should work as described, I'll bet it's some kind of digital restriction, like how in the older receivers (and even this one) if you want to send audio over and out to the second (and third) zones it has to be ANALOG. I've yet to test an analog source. I'm just hoping it's a bug and will be fixed once they update the firmware. I'm hoping the guy I found who works for Marketing at Marantz can put me in contact with engineering/support so I can spill these bugs to them, or at least point them to this forum as a good example for bugs.

post #312 of 2410 Old 11-08-2010, 07:39 AM

The Harmony is a major PITA, mostly because of the way they FORCE you to use their lame Wizard Modes, I must mention this in EVERY Harmony related post I comment or write (hopefully they'll get the message some day?)

Unless I'm misunderstanding you... there obviously is no SR7005 in their codebase so I ended using the nearest neighbor (whatever it recommended) as a template and had my hours of "fun" learning commands.

The direct input thing SR Remote thing initially threw me for a loop, I was ticked off that I couldn't record/learn the inputs, that is until I double pressed. So press SAT on the original remote, then choose learn SAT in the Harmony's kludgeware and then press SAT again on the SR's remote, command learned!

Dynamic EQ and Volume initially bugged me, I'm usually NEVER a fan of any kind of DSP/Logic. Then I read up on the source level setting (0, 5, 10, 15db...) and what each should be used for and so far when it's set to "10db" and "medium" I've had a pretty level sound field, which is PERFECT for TV sources, not sure I'd use it for ANY other sources, maybe "0" and "light" for Movies, we'll see how it goes. I do wish it'd allow me to tweak/fine tune what it did for each speaker's EQ.

Quote:

post #313 of 2410 Old 11-08-2010, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The Harmony is a major PITA, mostly because of the way they FORCE you to use their lame Wizard Modes, I must mention this in EVERY Harmony related post I comment or write (hopefully they'll get the message some day?)

Unless I'm misunderstanding you... there obviously is no SR7005 in their codebase so I ended using the nearest neighbor (whatever it recommended) as a template and had my hours of "fun" learning commands.

The direct input thing SR Remote thing initially threw me for a loop, I was ticked off that I couldn't record/learn the inputs, that is until I double pressed. So press SAT on the original remote, then choose learn SAT in the Harmony's kludgeware and then press SAT again on the SR's remote, command learned!

Dynamic EQ and Volume initially bugged me, I'm usually NEVER a fan of any kind of DSP/Logic. Then I read up on the source level setting (0, 5, 10, 15db...) and what each should be used for and so far when it's set to "10db" and "medium" I've had a pretty level sound field, which is PERFECT for TV sources, not sure I'd use it for ANY other sources, maybe "0" and "light" for Movies, we'll see how it goes. I do wish it'd allow me to tweak/fine tune what it did for each speaker's EQ.

Thanks for the reply, abricko! I had just been using the sr6004's settings and jamming all of my most-used sources into the three that are the same on the sr7005 (BD, DVD, and VCR), but I just tried your suggestion and I'll be damned, it works. I COMPLETELY agree on all of your comments about dynamic eq (I just started using the source attenuation last night, and it sounds SO much better). Thanks again for the info!

post #314 of 2410 Old 11-08-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:

I verified this. Per input, if you plan on using/displaying a video source OTHER than the input's native "source" you must choose an ANALOG source otherwise nothing is output to the TV/Monitor.

Another stupid "digital" limitation.

Yup. After failing to make this work I found it documented on p71 of the manual in a note that says "It is not possible to select HDMI input signals".

But the good news is that one can apparently set this via the remote (V.SEL) so I suppose I can see whether I can make it work by using my multi-channel analog inputs or the optical toslink connection instead.
post #315 of 2410 Old 11-08-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by durack View Post

Agree. I can not get it to work on my Apple or Android phones.
post #316 of 2410 Old 11-08-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitulpatel View Post

Agree. I can not get it to work on my Apple or Android phones.

My android phone works with SR7005. I used manual setup on my android phone and add the IP address of Marantz connected to my router and it works like a charm no problem. I still can not able to make it work with my IPHONE yet I am working on it.
post #317 of 2410 Old 11-08-2010, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I have SR6003 Model and sounds phenomenal. I also have a Denon 689; and compared the sound and this Marantz its on another level. The sound is incredible. Sadly I have to sell it because it does not pass Hi Def Audio when playing a 3D Movie (TrueHD or DTS-MA). Too bad. I have to buy the SR5005 Model or Onkyo 708; since at this moment I dont have budget for 6005 or better yet 7005!... Its on ebay; if anyone is interested. Used but in excellent conditions. I have original Box; original unopened manuals, Audessey mic; remote control; etc. Search for SR6003. I tried Onkyo 706 two years ago and compared with the Marantz and that Onkyo Sounds pretty good. Thanks
post #318 of 2410 Old 11-09-2010, 06:59 AM

I wish the iOS app had a "manual" setting, still waiting to hear back from Marantz, I have a few emails out to a few different people at Marantz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitulpatel View Post

My android phone works with SR7005. I used manual setup on my android phone and add the IP address of Marantz connected to my router and it works like a charm no problem. I still can not able to make it work with my IPHONE yet I am working on it.

post #319 of 2410 Old 11-09-2010, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by javygonx View Post

I have SR6003 Model and sounds phenomenal. I also have a Denon 689; and compared the sound and this Marantz its on another level. The sound is incredible. Sadly I have to sell it because it does not pass Hi Def Audio when playing a 3D Movie (TrueHD or DTS-MA). Too bad. . Thanks

Whats wrong with your analog inputs? All you need is a BluRay that has analog outs. Then you can keep that same "incredible sound".
post #320 of 2410 Old 11-09-2010, 04:03 PM

First off, let me say that this AVR sounds GREAT. Prior to this AVR I had a circa 2000 Marantz AVR. Just a few weeks ago the center channel stopped working... so that lead me to start thinking about new gear and all the cool new features. The room equalization makes a huge difference, particularly when I use all of the possible measurement points.

I have also posted the following note to the Marantz support folks (laaate last night). But if anyone has any ideas as to what I could do to fix this I'd love to hear it. :-)

Setup has been a very frustrating experience. I bought a newer reciever to save time and avoid hassle by using hdmi instead of component + digital audio. So far, it would have been faster to set it up the old way.
I made sure that the HDMI cable wasn't a problem by using the same cable for all scenarios. I also tried several different cables.

Source: Computer via HDMI
Works fine

Source: TiVo HD via HDMI
Video is not displaying correctly. I get the "hdmi green screen". It will play audio for ~10 seconds before it stops. Flipping between video modes on the TiVo or pulling and replacing the hdmi connection will make the audio play again (for ~10 sec)

Source: TiVo HD via Component and Digital Audio
Works Fine

Source : XBOX360
Works Fine

Source: Internet Radio (via reciever)
When using component video between reciever and TV it works fine
When using HDMI, no video signal is displayed
post #321 of 2410 Old 11-09-2010, 05:41 PM

Just got home and it got the new firmware notification. Will do the update in a few and report back my findings (if any)!
post #322 of 2410 Old 11-09-2010, 06:33 PM

Got the notification hit update...

Attachment 190679

After 10 minutes the AVR verified the image and rebooted. A few minutes later I ran the check update to see if I had the latest and sure enough I did. Then I fired up the WIZZ app...
Attachment 190680

I'm in disbelief! It works!

Now I'm excited for AirPlay whenever it's released!
LL
LL
post #323 of 2410 Old 11-09-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
I wish the iOS app had a "manual" setting, still waiting to hear back from Marantz, I have a few emails out to a few different people at Marantz.
Thanks. Let me know when you hear from Marantz.
post #324 of 2410 Old 11-09-2010, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Attachment 190679

After 10 minutes the AVR verified the image and rebooted. A few minutes later I ran the check update to see if I had the latest and sure enough I did. Then I fired up the WIZZ app...
Attachment 190680

Mine has been on the "Connecting Server" screen for over 5 minutes while trying to do the update. Did yours take this long to get to the actual updating part?

post #325 of 2410 Old 11-09-2010, 07:34 PM

Mine took maybe a minute or two... I have a 50Mbps (FiOS) internet connection though. The whole process took maybe 15 minutes.

Quote:
Mine has been on the "Connecting Server" screen for over 5 minutes while trying to do the update. Did yours take this long to get to the actual updating part?
post #326 of 2410 Old 11-09-2010, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Attachment 190679

Attachment 190680

PM sent.

post #327 of 2410 Old 11-09-2010, 08:05 PM

Interesting... mine reports that it already has the latest update...
And since there is no obvious way to check the firmware version, I can't confirm or deny that. :-)

I did buy it as an "open box special"... I wonder if the previous owner did something to get it in a wierd state... (quitting the firmware update halfway through?)
post #328 of 2410 Old 11-09-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsnrg View Post

Anyway, quite happy with it thus far, but have 1 issue. I use an HTPC running 1080p all through HDMI to the receiver. When I power down the receiver, everything is fine, though I want to get the passthrough figured out at some point. However, upon powering up, some type of signal is sent to the HTPC and it reboots hard. It only happens on power up, but happens every time. I have updated BIOS, video, audio, chipset, etc etc on the HTPC, and made sure the SR-7005 was also up to date.

Anyone else having any issues even similar?

Other than that, loving it, the feature set, and the sound are both spot on for my needs.

I think I figured this out tonight. I had the receiver set to pass through control mode, and indeed it seems to be sending the power on signal over HDMI to power stuff up. The computer seems to respect this signal as well. The trouble is, it was already powered up, and that seems to restart it. After changing the setting (and getting the new firmware, not sure if that had any bearing) to turn 2-way HDMI stuffs back to off, the problem went away. I tried it with various sources, including the live HDMI from the HTPC being the current source at power on/power off. The PC stayed up and running just fine.

I will have to see if there is a BIOS option to ignore the signaling on HDMI, but I can live with it this way too. I don't use the HTPC unless the amp is on. VNC for any remote maintenance.

Excess Energy in everything
XSNRG Rec/Theater Build
post #329 of 2410 Old 11-09-2010, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by GqMagic View Post

Whats wrong with your analog inputs? All you need is a BluRay that has analog outs. Then you can keep that same "incredible sound".

I already tried using the analog outputs; and to be honest; it doesnt sound as good as HDMI. I did the test for several hours and with different movies. Even the Dolby Digital 5.1 via Optical cables sounds better than analog outputs (L,R,C,SL,SR,SW).
post #330 of 2410 Old 11-09-2010, 09:27 PM

I'm not sure how they are rolling out the update, like if you have to have your S/N registered with Marantz or maybe they're only pushing it out to a specific range of S/N's initially...

I also wish there was some kind of version number perhaps somehow in the service/maintenance mode and then of course it'd be super cool to get some kind of release notes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by foooo View Post

Interesting... mine reports that it already has the latest update...
And since there is no obvious way to check the firmware version, I can't confirm or deny that. :-)

I did buy it as an "open box special"... I wonder if the previous owner did something to get it in a wierd state... (quitting the firmware update halfway through?)

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz , Marantz Sr7005 Audio Video Receiver Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page