Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiWavelength View Post
Kevin...

What is the current Audyssey measured "distance" to your sub? And what is the actual physical distance? A comparison of those two figures should let us know whether the setup routine has already taken into account the Behringer delay.

AJ
Audyssey measured distance: 9.1 ft. Actual distance: 9.5 (+/- a foot or so, depending on where on the sub you measure--it's dual, opposing woofers).

All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2438 Old 11-16-2010, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_mahaney View Post

Audyssey measured distance: 9.1 ft. Actual distance: 9.5 (+/- a foot or so, depending on where on the sub you measure--it's dual, opposing woofers).

Yeah, the two congruent distance measurements indicate that Audyssey has not yet compensated for the delay introduced by the Behringer. Run Audyssey again -- you can do just a one point measurement at the listening position -- and watch the Audyssey measured "distance" extend to roughly 20 ft.

AJ
post #363 of 2438 Old 11-17-2010, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiWavelength View Post

Yeah, the two congruent distance measurements indicate that Audyssey has not yet compensated for the delay introduced by the Behringer. Run Audyssey again -- you can do just a one point measurement at the listening position -- and watch the Audyssey measured "distance" extend to roughly 20 ft.

AJ

AJ,

I actually did re-run Audyssey last night. I began to wonder why the results were so far off from my by-ear adjustments and thought that maybe my mic point was just at a point in the room with weird modes going on, and also thought, "what do I have to lose, anyway?" I ran it with my BFD set on the filter bank that I'd set going through the receiver (the second time, with Audyssey on), and the mic at a point about a foot away from before. HOLY COW, I got totally different results that were much closer to the ones I set by ear (while they weren't necessarily at the same levels, they followed similar trends over the different frequencies). Just to be sure, I ran Audyssey again and got almost the exact same results. I guess the spot I initially measured (and have always measured for room-correction programs) was just a funky spot. Anyway, it now sounds fantastic (better than my by-ear stuff) and I'm pumped to be able to use DynEq/Vol without cringing. Thank you for your input through this, I'm super happy with the outcome. A side note, Audyssey still measured the sub at 9 ft--I'm not sure what to think about that considering you said it should be something like 20. Anyway, thanks again.

post #364 of 2438 Old 11-17-2010, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

A side note, Audyssey still measured the sub at 9 ft--I'm not sure what to think about that considering you said it should be something like 20.

A previous source cited the Behringer processing delay as 11 ms. However, I just checked another source, and it pegged the processing delay at only 1 ms. So, the latter source is ostensibly correct -- as 1 ms amounts to a distance of about 1 ft at the speed of sound -- and your sub "distance" setting, as well, should now be correct.

AJ
post #365 of 2438 Old 11-17-2010, 06:39 PM

Liked: 10
Anyone else grabbing the new firmware? Any idea where the changelog exists for these updates?

Excess Energy in everything
XSNRG Rec/Theater Build
post #366 of 2438 Old 11-18-2010, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

AJ,

I actually did re-run Audyssey last night. I began to wonder why the results were so far off from my by-ear adjustments and thought that maybe my mic point was just at a point in the room with weird modes going on, and also thought, "what do I have to lose, anyway?" I ran it with my BFD set on the filter bank that I'd set going through the receiver (the second time, with Audyssey on), and the mic at a point about a foot away from before. HOLY COW, I got totally different results that were much closer to the ones I set by ear (while they weren't necessarily at the same levels, they followed similar trends over the different frequencies). Just to be sure, I ran Audyssey again and got almost the exact same results. I guess the spot I initially measured (and have always measured for room-correction programs) was just a funky spot. Anyway, it now sounds fantastic (better than my by-ear stuff) and I'm pumped to be able to use DynEq/Vol without cringing. Thank you for your input through this, I'm super happy with the outcome. A side note, Audyssey still measured the sub at 9 ft--I'm not sure what to think about that considering you said it should be something like 20. Anyway, thanks again.

Hey Kevin,
I an earlier post you mentioned you used to own a Onkyo 705. You said the SR7005 blows it away. I currently own a 705 and am ready to move up to a better AVR. What were the differences in SQ with the Marantz compared to the Onkyo? I think I have my choice narrowed down to either the Anthem MRX700, or the 7005. The MRX has no analog 5.1 inputs and pass through. Does the Marantz have a good analog section?
post #367 of 2438 Old 11-18-2010, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic View Post

Hey Kevin,
I an earlier post you mentioned you used to own a Onkyo 705. You said the SR7005 blows it away. I currently own a 705 and am ready to move up to a better AVR. What were the differences in SQ with the Marantz compared to the Onkyo? I think I have my choice narrowed down to either the Anthem MRX700, or the 7005. The MRX has no analog 5.1 inputs and pass through. Does the Marantz have a good analog section?

I found my 705 to be "sterile" sounding. It didn't have the dynamic feeling that my Pioneer or Marantz have (and it heated my living room, which was unnerving). The Marantz does have 7.1 analog in, but I don't use it, so I can't speak for it's performance.

post #368 of 2438 Old 11-19-2010, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I must say it is good that they are doing firmware upgrades and I like the ease of doing them. Also, my iPhone app finally seems to be working without problems after the last firmware upgrade.

My hope is that in the near future all AVRs will have wi-fi (perhaps as an optional module for those who are ok with wired connectiosn) and USB ports for universal connectivity.
post #369 of 2438 Old 11-20-2010, 08:31 AM

Seems my App is working correct now after the 2.23 update.

I only have still a problem with following:
screen of TV will get Black, Marantz LOGO will appear.
it takes 2~3 seconds sound will fall away, for that time to.

It appears by watching SAT, 1080i upscaled to 1080p

does any one have the same problems, will run test tonight with disabled up scaling....
post #370 of 2438 Old 11-20-2010, 06:07 PM

Well it appears there may be another firmware out.

My receiver reported there was a newer firmware so I let it update. The previous firmware fixed my WIZZ app, so I'm not sure what's next to fix.

15 minutes later the receiver rebooted came back up fine and I don't see anything different and the WIZZ app still works. I ran the firmware check again and it reports "Latest" now. I really wish they reported version numbers and or we could get release notes.

Anyway, I'm glad they are keeping this product updated, here's to hoping for AirPlay SOON!

Good Luck to you all.
post #371 of 2438 Old 11-22-2010, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I am seriously looking into this receiver. Couple of questions.

1. Will this receiver decode Apple Lossless via Airplay?

2. Any idea when the Airplay feature is getting activated via firmware?
post #372 of 2438 Old 11-22-2010, 09:03 PM

Since it's not out yet, we don't know the answer to either but I'm REALLY hoping (and assuming) it's a big yes to #1 and VERY soon to #2, especially since Apple has OFFICIALLY released their iOS AirPlay software.

I would assume in order for a device to be AirPlay certified it'd have to play all the formats that iTunes supports. If so I can ditch the little AirPort Express.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbryant View Post

I am seriously looking into this receiver. Couple of questions.

1. Will this receiver decode Apple Lossless via Airplay?

2. Any idea when the Airplay feature is getting activated via firmware?

post #373 of 2438 Old 11-23-2010, 05:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

rumor has it that the airplay upgrade will be made available for the av7005 on december 1, so possibly the sr7005 upgrade will be available then as well...

cost is 49 bucks...

as far as apple lossless... my guess is "something in the avr would have to do something with it", because the existing protocol for airtunes uses alac for transmission...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #374 of 2438 Old 11-23-2010, 09:27 AM

I've had the SR7005 for two months now and I couldn't be more pleased. I've had a Marantz 22 (bought new in 1968), Onkyo TX-797, Marantz SR9300 and now the SR7005. The SR7005 is the perfect match for my Klipsch towers and surrounds (Reference-3 in a 7.1 arrangement).

I worked out the HDMI issue of suporting two devices off the single TiVo output with a ViewHD 2 Port HDMI 1x2 Powered Splitter from Amazon. (TiVo to Sr7005 in Livingroom and TiVo to bedroom Sony TV)

I'm using the Wizz-It software to re-program my Marantz RC9300 to incorporate the RX7001 using RF signals to get around the IR aiming difficulty (The SR7005 is not exactly in a line-of-sight).

I am having way too much fun with this system!

Bryan
post #375 of 2438 Old 11-23-2010, 09:43 AM

I'm seriously considering the SR 7005 for my set up, is it over kill for me?

My current set up is,

living room set up
-55" Samsung 7000 3D t.v.
-Samsung 3D blu-ray
-HD cable box
-PS3
-Speakers
4 Audiotrak SKA 880's (8" 2 way 150 watt) in ceiling
1 Studio Acoustic center SA6 5C (2 5" woofers & a 1" tweeter 175 watt)

Zone 2 Kitchen and outside
-2 Audiotrak SKA 880's (8" 2 way 150 watt) in ceiling
-2 2 Electrovoice unknown model
post #376 of 2438 Old 11-23-2010, 03:48 PM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

So for speakers, you can either have 7.1 with side and rear surround speakers, or 5.1 + high front effect speakers? You can't have 7.1 side and rear surrounds + high front speakers even by way of pre-outs? I thought 7.2 added high front 'effect' speakers to 7.1.

Has anybody compared this receiver and it's sound quality to the olde SR 9600 or the SR 8002? The 7005 seems quite high end with it's HDAM's etc.
post #377 of 2438 Old 11-23-2010, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc View Post

So for speakers, you can either have 7.1 with side and rear surround speakers, or 5.1 + high front effect speakers? You can't have 7.1 side and rear surrounds + high front speakers even by way of pre-outs? I thought 7.2 added high front 'effect' speakers to 7.1.

Has anybody compared this receiver and it's sound quality to the olde SR 9600 or the SR 8002? The 7005 seems quite high end with it's HDAM's etc.

7.2 adds an additional subwoofer out. 9.1 is added height or width channels. With the 7005, there are terminals for height and width channels, but it will only output 7 (rear OR height OR width), even through pre-outs.

post #378 of 2438 Old 11-23-2010, 07:47 PM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

7.2 adds an additional subwoofer out. 9.1 is added height or width channels. With the 7005, there are terminals for height and width channels, but it will only output 7 (rear OR height OR width), even through pre-outs.

Ok. Right. .1 = subwoofer and .2 = two subwoofers.

Kinda strange about the choices for rear OR height Or width but then again, I guess it may be good for different rooms. I am not familiar with height and width. I thought the new add-on for surround was the revival of the 'front effects speakers' like Yamaha had up from and high. Not familiar with width or if the height speakers are the same as the old Yamaha implementation. Guess I'll snoop through the owners manual.

Anybody have any thoughts regarding the sound of this unit vs the SR 9600?
post #379 of 2438 Old 11-24-2010, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
post #380 of 2438 Old 11-24-2010, 05:56 AM
tp1

I have updated to newest firmware on both iPhone and AVR and still can't get Wizz app to work.

I can control the AVR through the iphone's browser by going to AVR's IP address, so I don't think my router or apple wireless switch is blocking inter device communication.

Any suggestions about what I should do to fix the problem?

Thanks
post #381 of 2438 Old 11-24-2010, 07:32 AM

Finally we see AirPlay banner on http://us.marantz.com/

The Denon guy over at RemoteCentral.com stated he was told the update would go live Dec 1 (presumably for Denon AVR) they put up and info page:

http://airplayus.denon.com/

The cost is listed as $49.99 and will be available as a "feature upgrade" and it's being marketed as "Your iTunes music. Any Room. Unleashed." so I'd assume that any format iTunes supports (MP3, AAC, Apple Lossless) will play.

So we're getting close!

EDIT: received a solicitation email from Marantz, here's the official website: http://airplayus.marantz.com/
LL
post #382 of 2438 Old 11-27-2010, 09:15 AM

I ordered my SR7005 the other day, and I was wondering if anyone had the exact width of the unit with banana plugs? I have 18.5" of room in my wall cabinet. I know the unit is 17 3/8", but with the banana plugs.....?
post #383 of 2438 Old 11-27-2010, 11:10 AM

I'm a simple man and going to ask a simpleton type question.

Do you have to worry about any security / firewall issues when you have your receiver hooked up to Internet radio?
post #384 of 2438 Old 11-27-2010, 11:12 AM

Has anyone compared or owned these two pieces on the same audio system that could offer an "unbiased" opinion?
post #385 of 2438 Old 11-27-2010, 11:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR--J View Post

I ordered my SR7005 the other day, and I was wondering if anyone had the exact width of the unit with banana plugs? I have 18.5" of room in my wall cabinet. I know the unit is 17 3/8", but with the banana plugs.....?

the "width" isn't going to change any...

the depth, otoh, might be a bit of an issue when using banana plugs, if that's what you meant... it'll be a tight fit in there... although it's gonna be a tight fit anyway, 1 inch isn't a lot of room to work with for cabling, period...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #386 of 2438 Old 11-27-2010, 12:23 PM

The SR7005 has multiple surround modes to choose from. Which ones do you use and for what content.

I've been using the the Automatic mode for watching TV programs but I've been using the PLX-Movie mode for Blu-Ray movies and the PLX-Music mode for concert Blu-Ray & DVDs.

My System:
SR7005 Receiver
BD8002 Blu-Ray
DV6500 DVD
CC4300 CD
Klipsch Referece-3 (front/Surround/Rear
HSU Research VT3 Turbo Sub
TiVo Series-3/Verizon Fios
Mitsubishi WD65736 HDTV

Bryan
post #387 of 2438 Old 11-27-2010, 03:34 PM

I've been running a (original $4.5K) Denon AVR-5803 (circa 2002) for a couple of years (bought it new). Has 170W per channel performance - it weighs in at about 80 pounds.

But it was falling behind the times - no HDMI, no Audessey, primitive GUI.

I bit the dust yesterday and purchased an SR7005.

WOW - This thing sounds GREAT. My only nit is that its remote IR receiver is pretty sensitive to angles.
post #388 of 2438 Old 11-27-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henningh View Post

Anybody try this with a DLNA server? My NAS is a DLNA server and it serves up content to my PS3 just fine. It would be nice if I could access that stuff right from the receiver.

I just picked up an SR7005 yesterday, and my collection can't be read. It's too friggin' big for the Marantz (I have over 2000 CDs - all legal!).

No issue because I just play the music through my XBOX 360 then thru the Marantz. I'm going to try hooking up my PC to the Marantz via HDMI tomorrow. Failing that, I'll use my digital coax out from my PC.
post #389 of 2438 Old 11-27-2010, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post

I've been running a (original $4.5K) Denon AVR-5308 for a couple of years (bought it new). Has 170W per channel performance - it weighs in at about 80 pounds.

But it was falling behind the times - no HDMI, no Audessey, primitive GUI.

I bit the dust yesterday and purchased an SR7005.

WOW - This thing sounds GREAT. My only nit is that its remote IR receiver is pretty sensitive to angles.

5308 ? I thought that did have HDMI ?

anyway whichever Flagship Denon if the SR7005 is anywhere near - that sounds a very good endorsement
post #390 of 2438 Old 11-28-2010, 05:13 AM

Mark - Sorry - it was a 5803a (circa 2002). No HDMI in 2002!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz , Marantz Sr7005 Audio Video Receiver Black
Gear in this thread - Sr7005 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page