Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 2457 Old 01-14-2011, 07:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_mahaney View Post

Someone on this forum helped me with this issue as well. I'm assuming you have a Harmony or other remote that can learn directly from the Marantz remote. The first time you press an input button on the Marantz remote, it puts the remote in that "mode." If you press the same input button a second time, it switches the input to the corresponding button. Just press the button once (away from the new remote), and press it the second time to teach the new remote the input switch command.

I'm not sure if we're on the same page. I need discrete commands to turn on each of the 2 HDMI outputs discretely so that I can have one button trigger output 1 and another trigger output 2. I've got one output hooked up to my projector (which I use for all viewing functions) and the other output hooked up to a monitor that I use for audio functions, fooling around with the Marantz menus and checking the status of my DVR recordings (so I don't have to turn on the PJ). I'm writing macros for these different functions and need discrete codes to do this well.

The IR table you can download from the Marantz website has discrete codes for this model for each HDMI output. However, there is an asterisk that says something about it not being active until a firmware update.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2457 Old 01-14-2011, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaulP View Post
I'm not sure if we're on the same page. I need discrete commands to turn on each of the 2 HDMI outputs discretely so that I can have one button trigger output 1 and another trigger output 2. I've got one output hooked up to my projector (which I use for all viewing functions) and the other output hooked up to a monitor that I use for audio functions, fooling around with the Marantz menus and checking the status of my DVR recordings (so I don't have to turn on the PJ). I'm writing macros for these different functions and need discrete codes to do this well.

The IR table you can download from the Marantz website has discrete codes for this model for each HDMI output. However, there is an asterisk that says something about it not being active until a firmware update.
I did misread. I thought you meant discrete codes for HDMI inputs.

All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

post #633 of 2457 Old 01-15-2011, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupta View Post

Just double checked the manual (see page 35), and aside from various audio formats (including MPEG-4 AAC, which is audio only but sounds confusing), the only other thing it can do is JPEG pictures. Sorry for the disappointing news, but hopefully you can find a solution to do what you need.

Tnx for pointing that out.. guesse ill have to wait for UD7006

UD7006 < < COMING SOON ! ! > > Universal / Network Player Supports DLNA 1.5, streaming capability of home network Audio/Video/Photo contents.

Panasonic TX-P55VT50 (saving)
Marantz SR7005 Silver
Marantz UD5005 Silver
Monitor Audio RX6
Monitor Audio RX Center
Monster HTS 2600
SVS PB13 Ultra (saving)
post #634 of 2457 Old 01-15-2011, 11:36 AM

I decided to buy the airplay feature. I bought the upgrade, and after that my receiver could easily find the new feature (manual setup, option setup, add new feature) However, before it was finished installing it my receiver crashed, and when I turned it back on again it could not find the airplay upgrade (got the message "There is no feature that can be added now).

It seems like the airplay upgrade has not been installed correctly because I can not find it as a speaker in itunes. I had to choose NET/USB right? Are there other settings I need to do before I'm able to stream music from itunes?

I was looking for information on how to reset all settings to factory settings and re-install the airplay upgrade, but I could not find any documentation on how to do this.

What am I doing wrong??? I want to listen to music
post #635 of 2457 Old 01-15-2011, 08:20 PM

Do try turning off (fully) the amp, and restarting. Airplay showed up after a restart.
post #636 of 2457 Old 01-16-2011, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpankaj View Post

Do try turning off (fully) the amp, and restarting. Airplay showed up after a restart.

I tried to turning off the amp (fully) a couple of times actually because I feared that this could be the case as well, but I'm still not able to see the airplay speaker in iTunes

However, when I go to menu -> manual setup - > option setup - > add new feature, i get the message "There is no feature that can be added now". When I select "upgrade status" I get "-Airplay" on the screen. So it seems like it's installed correctly. I also made sure that the network standby option is set to "ON" in case this could be the reason, but it did not help..

I was thinking that it might be my network setup though? Because my wireless router only has one LAN connection I had to use a LAN switch in order to enable network connection on my SR 7005. Please note the enclosed picture of my current setup (MY CURRENT SETUP.jpg) for more details. I noticed on page 54 in the manual that the SR 7005 is connected directly to the wireless router. Please note the enclosed picture (PAGE 54 in Manual.jpg) for more details.

I also tried to download the Wizz App on my Iphone 4, but the only option available is "Demo mode".

I hope it's my network setup as I ordered a new wireless router yesterday..Or could it be something else?
LL
LL
post #637 of 2457 Old 01-16-2011, 07:59 AM
exm
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

I'm not sure I'm understanding your question, but as far as I know, the SR7005 doesn't have any capability to stream video directly - just audio. You'll need something else if you want to stream video as well (ie. AppleTV or a TiVo with pyTivo software, the latter being what I use currently).

Marantz confirmed this for the AV7005; so I'm sure that it's the same for the SR7005.
post #638 of 2457 Old 01-16-2011, 02:38 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tveheim View Post

I tried to turning off the amp (fully) a couple of times actually because I feared that this could be the case as well, but I'm still not able to see the airplay speaker in iTunes

However, when I go to menu -> manual setup - > option setup - > add new feature, i get the message "There is no feature that can be added now". When I select "upgrade status" I get "-Airplay" on the screen. So it seems like it's installed correctly. I also made sure that the network standby option is set to "ON" in case this could be the reason, but it did not help..

I was thinking that it might be my network setup though? Because my wireless router only has one LAN connection I had to use a LAN switch in order to enable network connection on my SR 7005. Please note the enclosed picture of my current setup (MY CURRENT SETUP.jpg) for more details. I noticed on page 54 in the manual that the SR 7005 is connected directly to the wireless router. Please note the enclosed picture (PAGE 54 in Manual.jpg) for more details.

I also tried to download the Wizz App on my Iphone 4, but the only option available is "Demo mode".

I hope it's my network setup as I ordered a new wireless router yesterday..Or could it be something else?

It does sound like a network issue to me.

The confusing bit is, if the Marantz can check for firmware updates/upgrades and doesn't give you a network connection error, it can see the Internet. But if the Wizz app and Airplay aren't working, it doesn't appear to see your wireless network (at least for internal use purposes).

Hopefully the new router will solve your problems. I have my own connection through a Wireless router connected to a switch connected to my Marantz (and other things), so it should work. Make sure there are no firewalls, etc. in the way.

Airplay does appear to be network sensitive. I am running two wireless networks (dual band router) and only one of them plays well with AirPlay for reasons unknown to me.

Good luck!
post #639 of 2457 Old 01-17-2011, 02:36 AM

Quote:

It does sound like a network issue to me.

The confusing bit is, if the Marantz can check for firmware updates/upgrades and doesn't give you a network connection error, it can see the Internet. But if the Wizz app and Airplay aren't working, it doesn't appear to see your wireless network (at least for internal use purposes).

Hopefully the new router will solve your problems. I have my own connection through a Wireless router connected to a switch connected to my Marantz (and other things), so it should work. Make sure there are no firewalls, etc. in the way.

Airplay does appear to be network sensitive. I am running two wireless networks (dual band router) and only one of them plays well with AirPlay for reasons unknown to me.

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply sgupta.

I have not received the new wireless router yet, so yesterday I tried to follow the steps for resetting the microprocessor (which can be found on page 117 in the manual, see also screenshot enclosed).
Before I did this I saved all settings, and after the reset was done I tried to look for firmware updates/add new feature. However, both times I got a network error message. This is very strange as I earlier had no problems installing new updates..
LL
post #640 of 2457 Old 01-17-2011, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Tveheim
How far are you from your router/switch? I promise you that it'd be a lot cheaper to buy a long cat-5 cable to use while you download the software. www.monoprice.com has really inexpensive cable.

Who cares if it's all over your floors and stairs - it's just for when you download. After that, roll it up and put it into a closet somewhere.
post #641 of 2457 Old 01-17-2011, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 145
^That's a fantastic post. +1.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #642 of 2457 Old 01-17-2011, 09:36 PM

Has anyone heard from an official Marantz or Denon response that the 7.1 Analog inputs stay analog through the receiver? I have a SR7005 and I'm considering buying the Oppo BDP-95 player for it's DACs, but won't do that if it will only be passed through the ADCs and DACs of the Marantz again. I'd save $500 and just get the BDP-93 and use HDMI.

I sent an email to Marantz over a week ago about and got a reply that they were very busy and it might be a while before a response from them :-). Just figured I could save them the trouble if someone else had already asked.
post #643 of 2457 Old 01-17-2011, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smonska View Post

Has anyone heard from an official Marantz or Denon response that the 7.1 Analog inputs stay analog through the receiver?

Considering the only feature available to the 7.1ch IN is level trim, I think we can safely assume these inputs are not digitized.

Yes, there have been some receivers that do digitize these ins, some even costing a fraction of this one's price, but they are rare and always brag about it when they do, ala "And unlike our competitors' receivers we offer bass management for our 7.1 CH in!" My point is they wouldn't do it (digitization) for no reason. Those added parts (A to D's) have a cost they'd rather avoid needlessly spending money on.

What I'm not too sure about however is if there is a way to avoid any form of digitization for the two channel analog RCA ins. Since bass management and various forms of surround around () can most definitely be applied to these inputs we know for a fact that there is at least one 2ch A to D (which may or may not be able to be bypassed) but there is no evidence of an 8ch A to D (or four 2ch ones if that's how they'd do it) for the 7.1 CH in you are asking about.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #644 of 2457 Old 01-18-2011, 07:06 AM

Sounds about right to me. I'm pretty sure even in Pure Direct mode the 2ch ones are still digitized as well, since the sub is still active if you have LFE+Main set in the bass settings. The 7.1s, even the channel balance level settings don't work, so I think you are right it's a safe bet they are true analog.
post #645 of 2457 Old 01-18-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post

Tveheim
How far are you from your router/switch? I promise you that it'd be a lot cheaper to buy a long cat-5 cable to use while you download the software. www.monoprice.com has really inexpensive cable.

Who cares if it's all over your floors and stairs - it's just for when you download. After that, roll it up and put it into a closet somewhere.

I don't think that the cable is the problem. As I mentioned the receiver "claims" that the airplay feature is downloaded and installed correctly. The connection error appeared only after I tried to reset the microprocessor. I got my new wireless router yesterday though, and after I hooked up everything I was still not able to see my airplay speaker in iTunes. I tried to reset the microprocessor again, and then when I looked for upgrades the receiver was able to connect, but still said that no upgrades were available and that the airplay was already installed.

I'm not giving up on this one though..Does anyone of you know how to reset the receiver to factory settings? Then I can try to re-download the airplay upgrade.

..or could it be anything else I'm missing?
post #646 of 2457 Old 01-18-2011, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Question: I just bought the SR-7005 as a upgrade to a Pioneer Elite, impressed so far, my only concern is my speakers are some higher end Dynaudio C2's that are 4ohms. Not sure if it can handle this load, I was thinking about adding the MM 7055, overkill?

Thanks,

G
post #647 of 2457 Old 01-18-2011, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smonska View Post

Sounds about right to me. I'm pretty sure even in Pure Direct mode the 2ch ones are still digitized as well, since the sub is still active if you have LFE+Main set in the bass settings.

The way it has been described in other forum posts (regarding some Denon units) is that incoming analog 2ch is internally split in half. Half goes to be digitized so bass management can be applied whereas the other half passes through, in the "direct modes" at least, in its original analog form.

I don't know for a fact how this Marantz unit does it but I thought I'd mention that. [A block diagram of the signal flow would be necessary to be sure.]

post #648 of 2457 Old 01-18-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tveheim View Post

I don't think that the cable is the problem. As I mentioned the receiver "claims" that the airplay feature is downloaded and installed correctly. The connection error appeared only after I tried to reset the microprocessor. I got my new wireless router yesterday though, and after I hooked up everything I was still not able to see my airplay speaker in iTunes. I tried to reset the microprocessor again, and then when I looked for upgrades the receiver was able to connect, but still said that no upgrades were available and that the airplay was already installed.

I'm not giving up on this one though..Does anyone of you know how to reset the receiver to factory settings? Then I can try to re-download the airplay upgrade.

..or could it be anything else I'm missing?

UPDATE!! It's working (for the moment)!! :-) I don't know what I did, but suddenly the receiver appeared as a speaker in iTunes, and after I selected the speaker and clicked on play the receiver automatically swiched to "Net/Usb". I almost got blown off my seat though..as the receiver started to play on maximum volume. It appears only to be using the volume control in iTunes to set the volume, weird..but I reckon this will be fixed on the next firmware update..

Thanks for all your feedback and help guys!
post #649 of 2457 Old 01-22-2011, 07:17 PM

Just bought the SR7005 (love it) and a Panasonic TC-P65S2 plasma. Both support Audio Return Channel (ARC). I have the HDMI ARC ports connected, HDMI control turned on for the SR7005 and VieraLink turned on for the Panny Plasma.

When I flip the TV back to use it's internal tuner, how do I get the SR7005 to use the return audio from the TV? So I need to switch it to a certain input?

In my example, I am watching SAT on the SR7005. I change the Panny to it's internal tuner instead of the HDMI port. The SR7005 still is on SAT and the audio from it is on. What do I do to the SR7005 so it uses the TV audio instead via ARC?

Thanks!!
post #650 of 2457 Old 01-22-2011, 10:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiprecked View Post

Just bought the SR7005 (love it) and a Panasonic TC-P65S2 plasma. Both support Audio Return Channel (ARC). I have the HDMI ARC ports connected, HDMI control turned on for the SR7005 and VieraLink turned on for the Panny Plasma.

When I flip the TV back to use it's internal tuner, how do I get the SR7005 to use the return audio from the TV? So I need to switch it to a certain input?

In my example, I am watching SAT on the SR7005. I change the Panny to it's internal tuner instead of the HDMI port. The SR7005 still is on SAT and the audio from it is on. What do I do to the SR7005 so it uses the TV audio instead via ARC?

Thanks!!

Receiver on "Input TV"

post #651 of 2457 Old 01-23-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:

Receiver on "Input TV"

Thank you! Bad news (for me) is I tried that and it doesn't work. So it leaves me wondering if my HDMI cable is the problem. I'm going to order a new one and see if that fixes it.
post #652 of 2457 Old 01-23-2011, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thank you! Bad news (for me) is I tried that and it doesn't work. So it leaves me wondering if my HDMI cable is the problem. I'm going to order a new one and see if that fixes it.

What is your setting for "TV Speakers" in the menu of the Panny (there's one setting in the audio part, and one in the VieraLink setup part)? I have mine set to "off," and "Theater," respectively. That could have something to do with it.

post #653 of 2457 Old 01-23-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:

What is your setting for "TV Speakers" in the menu of the Panny (there's one setting in the audio part, and one in the VieraLink setup part)? I have mine set to "off," and "Theater," respectively. That could have something to do with it.

Those are the settings I have also.
post #654 of 2457 Old 01-23-2011, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That's a bummer. Let's hope it's the cable.

post #655 of 2457 Old 01-23-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:

Consider Blue Jeans Cable.

I would use their Series-F2 for runs <= 8' and their Series-1 for >8'.

Also, if you are using any wall-plates, they can make a difference (found out the hard way, myself).
post #656 of 2457 Old 01-23-2011, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Just curious has anyone used the SR-7005 with a 5 channel Amp? I see it really doesn't say it is rated for a 4ohm load even though I know it can handle it, but I ran into this with Integra 30.1 8-16ohm, barely used the unit and it fried out running a very good pair of Dynaudio in my office, so I had to replace it with the 40.2 which is rated at 4ohms.
post #657 of 2457 Old 01-24-2011, 06:14 AM

Question for you SR7005 owners, I currently have a Yamaha and on it's Tone Control, or bass/treble control, it only affects the left, center, right, and subwoofer as noted in its manual. Does the SR7005 Tone Control work the same, or does it effect all channels? I tried going through the SR7005 manual but no mention of which channels this affects.
post #658 of 2457 Old 01-24-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCARCIO View Post
Sent the guy an email asking how he sells for less and about warranty and here is his response. Is what he says he is doing correct as far as warranty goes? He is selling the 7005 for $1198 P S/H.

I simply have Marantz drop shipped & Invoiced from a group of Marantz authorized retailers
That way not only do my customers get the lowest possible price but also
Factory Sealed-Brand new Goods w/serial #'s intact & Manufacture warranty
Which in the case of the SR7005 is Three years
I work for a distribution company that sells Marantz and other restricted line products. Recently there was an issue with an end user who purchased a JVC Pro Projector from them. Guess what? The end user ended up with NO WARRANTY!

Let the guy say what he will, but I already know of one case where the end user who bought from him DID NOT get his warranty honored BECAUSE HE IS NOT AN AUTHORIZED DEALER! Again, Marantz posts a list of all authorized web dealers, HE IS NOT ON THE LIST! Do not buy from him, unless you are comfortable with NO WARRANTY!
post #659 of 2457 Old 01-24-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post
Me either. I actually have issues when I limit it to a couple thousand songs.

Fortunately, the direct PC hookup OR the trusty XBOX 360 media player both work great.
I have found the XBOX 360 sounds absolutely HORRIBLE for music playback...try comparing the same song played through the Marantz's direct interface, then the 360, then your PC....I think you will be shocked how mangled the sound out of the 360 is (even when using a digital connection!)
post #660 of 2457 Old 01-24-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Out of curiosity, is anyone running 4-ohm speakers with the sr7005?
We are running the SR7005 in stereo with a pair of Martin Logan Motion 12 speakers in our showroom. The Motion 12s are listed as 4 ohm and "Compatible with 8 ohm AVRs". They sound great and the AVR doesnt go into protect or heat up excessively. We have been running them constantly during the workday (10 hours at a time) at moderate volume for a few months now.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz , Marantz Sr7005 Audio Video Receiver Black
Gear in this thread - Sr7005 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page