The Official Marantz SR7005 Receiver Page!! - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 2506 Old 02-07-2011, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got a new SR7005 and I am having a problem with HDMI handshake issues. I have a relatively new (less than a year old) Mitsubishi DLP TV (WD 65837) and previously never had any handshake problems with my old Pioneer receiver. My DirecTV DVR (HR21-100) and my XBOX 360 have no problems syncing up with the SR7005, but I cannot get my Oppo BDP-83 or Apple TV 2G to work, nor can I get a picture from the SR7005 for the Net/USB or Sirius input. The most recent problem I have encountered is that the SR7005 will bump my DirecTV picture off when I try to bring up the on-screen GUI. I then have to change inputs and come back to DirecTV to regain my picture.

The weird thing is everything worked the first day when I hooked it up. The problem started the second day when I tried to power up. I have tried powering things on in a different order, but nothing seems to work.

Any ideas???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2506 Old 02-07-2011, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I plan on buying the opo 93 dvd player, I am told that if the marantz hdmi is set to passthrough, the oppo would do the video proccesing, my question is, does the oppo or the marantz do the audio proccesing, tanks
post #723 of 2506 Old 02-07-2011, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
panzer - For what it's worth, the Marantz has exceptional video processing, and I doubt the Oppo would be better.

For the audio - it depends if you hook up the 7.1 analog or HDMI. If it were me, I'd use the HDMI and let the Marantz do the decoding for you.
post #724 of 2506 Old 02-07-2011, 11:25 AM

I had the company where I purchased the sub come in and they confirmed that the amp board is bad. I'll be getting that replaced which should resolve my issue.
Thanks
post #725 of 2506 Old 02-07-2011, 08:21 PM

Is it possible this receiver to set up to do 0 video processing on passthrough? I mean, I send a clean 1080p signal and would like to reach the tv absolutely untouched. I've heard all receivers do more or less processing to video when passthrough... Im just want to get the audio, and dont touch the video.

Its said this amps pairs well with focal speakers; Im mind to get a Chorus 800 series 5.1 and was leaning towards this amp over Pio Elite SC-37. Is it a wise choice?
post #726 of 2506 Old 02-07-2011, 09:45 PM

Liked: 11
Hi

I have a SR7005 with a Sony BDP570. The video works fine and BluRays are not a problem.
The only thing which does not work is the SACD off the DSD from the Sony BD player. I have my old Pioneer DVD player connected to the 7.1 analog inputs for SACD / DVD-Audio. The Sony plays SACD over HDMI (which the Pioneer does not do).
But for some reason I cannot get any sound out of the Marantz. Actually once I got the sound and I thought it was done. The next time I put it on, there was no sound. The SACD plays, the Marantz recognizes the Multi Ch In but there is no sound through the speakers.
Totally mystified.
Any idea?
Thanks

ppr
post #727 of 2506 Old 02-07-2011, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerman View Post

Is it possible this receiver to set up to do 0 video processing on passthrough? I mean, I send a clean 1080p signal and would like to reach the tv absolutely untouched. I've heard all receivers do more or less processing to video when passthrough... Im just want to get the audio, and dont touch the video.

Its said this amps pairs well with focal speakers; Im mind to get a Chorus 800 series 5.1 and was leaning towards this amp over Pio Elite SC-37. Is it a wise choice?

You can turn on/off video processing per input.
post #728 of 2506 Old 02-08-2011, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I leave the video processing off on the Marantz for my Oppo BD player, PS3, & XBOX 360, but turn it on for TiVo & Wii.
post #729 of 2506 Old 02-08-2011, 07:49 PM

Im looking to pair it with this speakers, look at the "Recommended amplifier power" spec,

So, correct me if Im wrong; even on stereo mode and bi-amping, the max it could do, its 220w per speaker. It wouldn't reach the 300w, as the sheet specs, right?
post #730 of 2506 Old 02-08-2011, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:

So, correct me if Im wrong; even on stereo mode and bi-amping, the max it could do, its 220w per speaker. It wouldn't reach the 300w, as the sheet specs, right?

Yes but this doesn't mean " you are safe from destroying your speaker" with this receiver because it is "less than 300". Any amp, lets say a 40 watt per channel one, if pushed into distortion (> 41 watts), can fry those or any other speaker. The manufacturer is referring to the clean and undistorted output of a 40 to 300 watt/ch amp as being "acceptable".

If you don't have a history of speakers dying on you after attempting to play them rather loudy, this entire topic is pointless to even worry about.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #731 of 2506 Old 02-08-2011, 09:25 PM

Yeah, that was my point. Its advised the amp power to equal or exceed speaker specs, for that reason you explain.

Thats my worry, the max output power in stereo doesn't reach the 300w for that speakers, even bi-amping.
post #732 of 2506 Old 02-08-2011, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, that was my point. Its advised the amp power to equal or exceed speaker specs, for that reason you explain.

Thats my worry, the max output power in stereo doesn't reach the 300w for that speakers, even bi-amping.

No, it is recomended that the amp you use falls between these two limits: 40 watts/ch and 300 watts/ch

I don't think you are understanding what the speaker maker is advising. They are saying, "Use these speakers comfortably with any amplifier you choose that has at least 40 watts per channel or greater, however, do not use one that is more than 300 watts per channel."

OK and safe to use for example, as long as you don't exceed its rated, clean, specified power (the only figure they ever publish or advertise, and which may occur without putting the volume knob at the highest setting, by the way) would include:

a 40 watts per channel stereo amplifier,
a 100 watt/ch receiver,
the Marantz SR7005,
a 299 watt/ch power amp, or at the most,
a 300 watt/ch amp

Dangerous to use would be an amplifier with 301 watts or greater, so don't use one of those.

If you follow this (simplified) advice you will be following the manufacturers guidelines, however, as with any amplifier, if you hear the sound is distorting when played loudly, you should turn the volume down right away. This is true of all gear and has nothing specificlly to do with the gear in this discussion.

I also don't recommend buying receivers based on their power outputs. This spec isn't as important as people or manufacturers make it out to be. [It would be somewhat silmilar to buyinfg a car based only on its maximum speed. I have no idea , for example, what my car's maximum speed is , nor my toaster oven's maximum temperature, because in real world use it just doesn't matter.]

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #733 of 2506 Old 02-08-2011, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

Dangerous to use would be an amplifier with 301 watts or greater, so don't use one of those.

I know, but its more dangerous using an underpower amp and take it to the limit, worst for the speakers the clipping effect, than overpower them a bit with a gentle/controlled signal.

But its OK, I got your point, thanks fo clarification.

By the way, is it possible to know how much power the amp is delivering at a time? I mean, not to notice when Im reaching maximum distortion or output recommended limit just by my hear, but rather to be able to check it at amp display, to know exactly how much power it is outputting to each channel at a given moment.
post #734 of 2506 Old 02-09-2011, 01:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

By the way, is it possible to know how much power the amp is delivering at a time? I mean, not to notice when Im reaching maximum distortion or output recommended limit just by my hear, but rather to be able to check it at amp display, to know exactly how much power it is outputting to each channel at a given moment.

Built in to the SR7005 itself? No, it doesn't have power meters or clip lights, however in theory you could buy outboard power meters, however they work assuming the speakers' impedance is fixed, which it never actually is, so they just give a rough approximation. Speakers that say "8 ohms", for example, are really a widely fluctuating curve based on what frequency the test is conducted at.

I guess you could also buy an oscilloscope, play some sine waves, and when you see the top peaks of the sine waves flatten and start to turn into square waves you know you are clipping and need to back down immediately.

If you are afraid you may break your very nice tweeters, you could buy protective, fast blow, in-line speaker fuses for safety. Is that your actual fear?

post #735 of 2506 Old 02-11-2011, 12:47 PM

HI,

I'm new to setting up a home theater system. Just ordered the SR7005 along with speakers from Aperion Audio. I will connect my Oppo 83 and Cox Digital Cable Box to the SR7005 using HDMI cables. And I have no problem understanding HDMI out to my Mitsubishi 73" DLP (no ARC).

Here is where I need your assistance. . .

My TV has a wirless connection to the Vudu movie service. I'm I correct in that I need to buy a coaxial digital audio cable with RCA connectors to hear sound from Vudu? The TV has a digital audio out and I see Marantz has digital audio inputs - Coax 1 and 2.

Will this allow me to listen to my Vudu movies through my home theater speakers (TV speakers set to off)?

And finally, I'm going to put my cable TV box on input SAT/HDMI 3. Would I assign the digital coax 1 to this input also or do I use another input that has no HDMI connected to it? Input mode would be assigned to auto.

Appreciate your time and input - thank you.

Jim
post #736 of 2506 Old 02-11-2011, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

^Your TV has built-in Vudu service? If so this isn't a common feature many others here would likely be be familiar with, I suspect. I'd suggest consulting a thread devoted to your TV in particular, whatever model it is, where you will undoubtedly find more experts on how best to connect it. The best way to extract the sound, via digital connection or otherwise, to an outboard system, wont be specific to the SR7005.

post #737 of 2506 Old 02-11-2011, 02:14 PM

Thanks. I'll check the other boards. I did check with Mitsubishi and they told me to use the coax digital out from their TV and the coax digital in on the receiver. My real question here was to understand which input to assign it to. If I don't get anything on the other boards when it arrives I will try to set HDMI and Digital (coax 1) to the SAT input. I'm suspecting that it will probably work and if not I'll move the Digital input to an unassigned source. I've read the SR7005 manual and it looks like one source can handle three inputs - HDMI, Digital and Comp from the Input Assign Menu - all 3 to one input source. Again, thanks.
post #738 of 2506 Old 02-11-2011, 02:48 PM

73CalBear:

I don't think that will work. Each source can only have one input. I would use an unused source. I think the souce "TV" seems like the best to me. Indicate that the source TV is associated with Coax 1.

Jim
post #739 of 2506 Old 02-11-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerboy View Post
73CalBear:

I don't think that will work. Each source can only have one input. I would use an unused source. I think the souce "TV" seems like the best to me. Indicate that the source TV is associated with Coax 1.

Jim
I wasn't sure if a source could have more than one input assigned to it. I think I'm ready to go. Source = TV; Input = Coax 1. I'm heading over to the Mitsubishi DLP section to see if anyone is using a digital connection to hear sound through their home theater system. Had not thought of that before starting here.

Thanks
post #740 of 2506 Old 02-11-2011, 05:32 PM

Which one is the best (most perfect) way to output flac/lossless audio out from my w7 pc?

- HDMI
- Optical
- dlna

Is it possible flac/lossless playback via dlna?
post #741 of 2506 Old 02-12-2011, 04:47 AM
Advanced Member

Just installed Marantz's AirPlay paid upgrade ($50) into my SR7005 and now I can play music from any Mac or OS updated iPhone in my home. The Macs can be on my wired network or use wireless WiFi too.

There is a procedure on www.marantz.com that you have to follow to download the upgrade into your Marantz unit.

In case you missed it there is a free iPhone app too that lets you select the inputs and control the volume on your SR7005.
post #742 of 2506 Old 02-12-2011, 05:26 PM

In which section of the Menu setup do I turn off the video processing just for the Oppo 93 input? I want to have the Oppo 93 handle the video processing (pass-through the 7005), but let the 7005 do the audio. Thanks in advance for the help. Sorry if I missed it in a previous post somewhere.
post #743 of 2506 Old 02-12-2011, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamcam View Post

In which section of the Menu setup do I turn off the video processing just for the Oppo 93 input? I want to have the Oppo 93 handle the video processing (pass-through the 7005), but let the 7005 do the audio. Thanks in advance for the help. Sorry if I missed it in a previous post somewhere.

Switch to the input you have assigned to the Oppo, hit "menu" for the 7005, go to "input setup," "video," and under "video convert," turn to "off."
post #744 of 2506 Old 02-14-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_mahaney View Post

You can turn on/off video processing per input.

I tried to do this in the set-up menu but it seems like I could not adjust per input. I tired to switch the input from source to BD, etc but it seems like I could either turn the processing on or off. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance.
post #745 of 2506 Old 02-14-2011, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diononiz View Post

I tried to do this in the set-up menu but it seems like I could not adjust per input. I tired to switch the input from source to BD, etc but it seems like I could either turn the processing on or off. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

Put the Marantz on whatever source you want to adjust. Go into the menu. Go to "Input Setup," then "Video," then "Video Convert" (on or off, as you like).
post #746 of 2506 Old 02-14-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_mahaney View Post
Put the Marantz on whatever source you want to adjust. Go into the menu. Go to "Input Setup," then "Video," then "Video Convert" (on or off, as you like).
Thanks I will give that a try.
post #747 of 2506 Old 02-15-2011, 03:14 PM

Hi All,
A quickie question: Ive read the power consumption of the SR7005 is 700w...can I assume that its the max power consumption? Btw, just sold off my NHT Controller...still have my NHT Power 5 (5x200wpc, class d) and p/u the NHT Power 2 (2x200wpc, class d). If there is plenty of power for my NHT C3 w/impedence 8ohms and sensitivity 87db then were good.

Regards,
Ricky
post #748 of 2506 Old 02-17-2011, 05:58 PM

Oppo 93 or 7005 Video
On the question of whether to let the 7005 handle the video input from the Oppo 93, or put the 7005 in pass-through and use the Oppo's video circuitry. I did a quick comparison of the video quality using a BD. The 7005 seems darker. Can't really decide which is better. Anyone else did their own comparison?
post #749 of 2506 Old 02-17-2011, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
That Oppo is pretty much the ultimate dedicated video outout machine - there is little likelikelihood that even a high end AV recevier will be better at handling and processing video.

Plus, see this review - the corresponding Preamp/processorr model of this receiver has some problems in the video area:
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/proce...r.html?start=4
At best, this receiver will have the same hardware and software implentation as the Pre/pro twin - at worst it could have an inferior performance, considering the cost the same price and this item has to include a ton of other components and thus costs.
post #750 of 2506 Old 02-18-2011, 08:15 PM

I just bought this receiver and a pair of Ascend CBM-170s, and just got it hooked up. I'm planning on upgrading to a surround system at some point, but just 2.0 for now.

I'm trying out my Xbox 360 through the new setup, using HDMI. However, I've noticed that every time the receiver stops receiving an audio signal from the Xbox and goes into "silent" mode (where it doesn't show that it's sending signal to either of the speakers), the next time it plays a sound there's quite an audible pop/click.

This pop is easy to reproduce in the Xbox 360 menu by scrolling up and down slowly.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any idea what might be causing it?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz , Marantz Sr7005 Audio Video Receiver Black
Gear in this thread - Sr7005 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page