The Official Marantz SR7005 Receiver Page!! - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 2410 Old 03-20-2011, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 100
^ Dawn Gordon, This new added functionality that you are enjoying is because you use an aftermarket universal remote that you have programmed with the two codes as discrete commands (instead of only the supplied HDMI 1 vs 2 toggle command) but using only the supplied remote from Marantz there is no way two use these two discrete commands because there are no buttons for them. Is this correct?

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 2410 Old 03-20-2011, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpankaj View Post
Any idea whats in the new upgrade? I cant seem to find anything about it anywhere.
I did the download last night, and while it doesn't state what improvements it includes on the website (and I don't remember what it said on the display during the last one), this time for the first ~30% it said "SUB" on the left side (with "UPDATING" on the right) and for the last ~70% it said "DSP" on the left (with "UPDATING" on the right). I haven't noticed anything different yet.

All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

post #813 of 2410 Old 03-20-2011, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I've applied the firmware upgrade and after some hours of critical listening through my reference system I am now quite pleased in the marked improvement to my sub's performance, almost as if it were a completely different model! It has noticeably better DTB (deeper, tighter bass) adding more solidity and three dimensionality, specifically when listening to kick drums and the upright bass on SACDs of acoustical recordings using minimalist miking in an X-Y, or Blumlein pair, configuration.

Further listening to the soundstage of SACDs, using my SCD-1, of properly recorded massed strings, shows a refinement to the DSP in the upper, lower midrange that sounds almost as if a veil has been lifted; I experienced a new clarity, depth, and some subtle nuances that had previously been obscured using the original firmware.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #814 of 2410 Old 03-20-2011, 03:03 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

I've applied the firmware upgrade and after some hours of critical listening through my reference system I am now quite pleased in the marked improvement to my sub's performance, almost as if it were a completely different model! It has noticeably better DTB (deeper, tighter bass) adding more solidity and three dimensionality, specifically when listening to kick drums and the upright bass on SACDs of acoustical recordings using minimalist miking in an X-Y, or Blumlein pair, configuration.

Further listening to the soundstage of SACDs, using my SCD-1, of properly recorded massed strings, shows refinement to the DSP in the upper, lower midrange that sounds almost as if a veil has been lifted; I experienced a new clarity, depth, and some subtle nuances that had previously been obscured using the original firmware.

Wow!! Awesome!!! I updated yesterday and kinda noticed that also, haven't use it that much but I quickly noticed like the sound stage opened up quite a bit, as it was before the update the sound stage was amazing!

The only thing I have not really cared for with this receiver was music listening, coming from a high end Rotel I've noticed music sounded a little off, defiantly in the bass management, there is almost no sub to any music, I've contacted Marantz about this, also talked to the place where I bought it and told me that's one of the downfalls of this receiver was not great bass management for music, as it is I up the level for the sub to get any sound out of it. But movies it always sounds just right.

I'm hoping that this update will make it better, I will take a listen tonight to seen if it has improved via 2 channel music, has anyone else noticed this at all? I do listen to 50/50 movies/music so I hope there is a way to improve the sub output without having to change the output level every time!
post #815 of 2410 Old 03-20-2011, 04:59 PM

LOrd, I hope isn't a placebo effect, but I think the music soundstage is now better.
post #816 of 2410 Old 03-20-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post

LOrd, I hope isn't a placebo effect, but I think the music soundstage is now better.

Lol working on checking it out now, I hope so! That was the only thing I thought this receiver was slightly lacking in, also hopefully the music bass management is better
post #817 of 2410 Old 03-21-2011, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

^ Dawn Gordon, This new added functionality that you are enjoying is because you use an aftermarket universal remote that you have programmed with the two codes as discrete commands (instead of only the supplied HDMI 1 vs 2 toggle command) but using only the supplied remote from Marantz there is no way two use these two discrete commands because there are no buttons for them. Is this correct?

Yes that is correct. There are no buttons on the original Marantz remote that can individually access HDMI 1 and 2 out. You need a universal remote that's PC programmable.
post #818 of 2410 Old 03-22-2011, 11:24 AM

If you have regular AC3 audio coming in an input via HDMI, is that passed to the optical digital output?
post #819 of 2410 Old 03-22-2011, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow, look how different the rear panels are. Obviously this proves they must have sounded very different from one another.

On another side note, we are also so fortunate to have among us forum members here with "photographic" acoustical memories who are able to listen to and retain in their memory the "sound" of one amp, preamp, or receiver on one date, in one room, with one musical piece and then instantly compare their memory to the sound of another piece of gear an hour, a year, or several years later to then give all the rest of us with inferior listening skills and acoustical memory a comparative description.

Me, I'm forced to use A/B switch boxes with nearly instantaneous transitions, using only the exact same peripheral gear, room acoustics, and musical passage, level matching to within .1 dB using external electronic instrumentation, and I must be "blinded" as to the gear identity (ideally double blinded) so as to eliminate the possibility of observer bias.

Maybe some day I'll be superhuman too. *fingers crossed*

We are all entitled to an opinion. I just stated mine.

vs.

Quote:

Further listening to the soundstage of SACDs, using my SCD-1, of properly recorded massed strings, shows a refinement to the DSP in the upper, lower midrange that sounds almost as if a veil has been lifted; I experienced a new clarity, depth, and some subtle nuances that had previously been obscured using the original firmware.

Hey Zillch!

Just wondering when you became superhuman? Be careful of what you say,.... it could come back in an embarrassing way. I'm just sayin'!

"Chance favors only the prepared mind. "Louis Pasteur"

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #820 of 2410 Old 03-22-2011, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

^Thanks, you just blew my April fools joke a week in advance, but I already influenced a few into hearing things in just the two days since my post was up, so I feel I proved my point. I guess now we'll never know how many more there would have been if it ran without anyone giving it away until my April 1st disclosure. Oh well:

APRIL FOOLS EVERYONE!

For the record, I don't even own an SR7005 [but I do the rather similar prepro AV7005, currently on its original firmware].

I also don't own the "built like a tank" SCD-1 [$5000] I mentioned, however, on a side note, I have conducted blind tests using the very similar SCD-777ES (also "class A", using the exact same electronics and transport but lacking balanced XLR outs) to prove a bet with my audiophile friend.

post #821 of 2410 Old 03-22-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:

^Thanks, you just blew my April fools joke a week in advance, but I already influenced a few into hearing things in just the two days since my post was up, so I feel I proved my point. I guess now we'll never know how many more there would have been if it ran without anyone giving it away until my April 1st disclosure. Oh well:

APRIL FOOLS EVERYONE!

For the record, I don't even own an SR7005 [but I do the rather similar prepro AV7005, currently on its original firmware].

I also don't own the "built like a tank" SCD-1 [$5000], however I have conducted blind tests using the very similar SCD-777ES (also "class A", using the exact same electronics and transport but lacking balanced XLR outs) to prove a bet with my audiophile friend.

Actually I talked to Marantz directly and they said there were numerous updates to the DSP, Sub, and Main Processor and I think one or two other things were mentioned but don't remember what the tech said, granted it's not overall going to make a huge difference, but there is noticeable changes for the better!
post #822 of 2410 Old 03-23-2011, 05:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
@mz... at least one of us caught it, but chose to wait on the sidelines and see if your "findings" were confirmed...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #823 of 2410 Old 03-23-2011, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

^Chris, thanks, I knew you'd get it. "upper lower midrange", (!?) "a veil has been lifted", "more 3D", "massed strings". Catch phrases over the decades many insiders would recognize.
---

Quote:
Originally Posted by henningh View Post

If you have regular AC3 audio coming in an input via HDMI, is that passed to the optical digital output?

Sorry, the answer is no. I wish it weren't that way.

In fact, if memory serves, even incoming AC3 audio such as 2.0 or 5.1 from the optical and coax digital jacks won't pass through to the optical out!

The optical out essentially works for incoming stereo PCM, such as a CD player signal or similar, only. { you may also have to assign it a source, I'm not sure}

post #824 of 2410 Old 03-23-2011, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

APRIL FOOLS EVERYONE!

I also don't own the "built like a tank" SCD-1 [$5000] I mentioned, however, on a side note, I have conducted blind tests using the very similar SCD-777ES (also "class A", using the exact same electronics and transport but lacking balanced XLR outs) to prove a bet with my audiophile friend.

The forum is blessed to have such a comedic talent. A real knee slapper there!
post #825 of 2410 Old 03-23-2011, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

You're welcome.

post #826 of 2410 Old 03-25-2011, 08:49 AM

Just purchased a new Marantz SR 7005 earlier this week---sounds great! I wanted to know if anyone had experience with streaming PandoraOne on their receiver. I have a PandoraOne account, which allows streaming music at 192kbps rather than the standard 128. I can obtain a 192 stream on my computer, and even on my blackberry, but it only comes in at 128 on the Marantz receiver...which unfortunately is a noticeable decrease in sound quality.
I wanted to see if anyone knew any tips on whether or not this can be changed to allow for a 192kbps stream. I'm able to receive much higher bit-rates from my computer, so I don't think network speed is any limiter (using Western Digital Powerline and Comcast Hi-Speed).
I'm thinking of emailing Marantz support if there's not an easy solution...will post if I get anything from them.
Thanks!
post #827 of 2410 Old 03-25-2011, 11:31 AM

^^^
Hi - the only way I can get 192 is to run my PC to the Marantz. Pandora on the Marantz does not pass 192.

Please do post what you get back from Marantz - This would be a nice win for us.
post #828 of 2410 Old 03-25-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szkwicz View Post

Just purchased a new Marantz SR 7005 earlier this week---sounds great! I wanted to know if anyone had experience with streaming PandoraOne on their receiver. I have a PandoraOne account, which allows streaming music at 192kbps rather than the standard 128. I can obtain a 192 stream on my computer, and even on my blackberry, but it only comes in at 128 on the Marantz receiver...which unfortunately is a noticeable decrease in sound quality.
I wanted to see if anyone knew any tips on whether or not this can be changed to allow for a 192kbps stream. I'm able to receive much higher bit-rates from my computer, so I don't think network speed is any limiter (using Western Digital Powerline and Comcast Hi-Speed).
I'm thinking of emailing Marantz support if there's not an easy solution...will post if I get anything from them.
Thanks!

Szkwicz,

I believe this may be the answer/issue. Same problem here...

"http://blog.pandora.com/faq/contents/64.html"

"Pandora mobile apps and in-home devices currently do not support High Quality 192Kbps streams, although we're very interested in expanding High Quality audio options at some point in the future."
post #829 of 2410 Old 03-25-2011, 03:46 PM

I was listening to the 192 feed (via my PC --> Marantz connection) this afternoon. Sounded as good as a CD.
post #830 of 2410 Old 03-27-2011, 08:28 PM

Hi everyone. Sorry if this has been asked before, as I may have missed it in all the posts

I was wondering how you might best play surround files into this receiver. The sort of surrround music files backed up from DVD-A or downloaded directly from itrax.

Which is best sounding way.. ie lowest jitter

1/ Via imac -> USB ?
2/ Via imac -> toslink ?
3/ Via imac -> DLNA streaming..... And could anybody confirm for me if option "3" is possible with this receiver.

I'm not talking about stereo files here. I know it will do those. (via playback or eyeconnect) I mean 5.1 files..

Thanks
post #831 of 2410 Old 03-28-2011, 04:38 AM

I've had the best results running HDMI from my PC to the Marantz.
post #832 of 2410 Old 03-28-2011, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wappinghigh View Post

Which is best sounding way.. ie lowest jitter

Actually, jitter is essentially a manufactured issue, created by (some of) the audiophile magazine industry, and in truth is (usually) a non-issue being adequately low on all these various connection methods, I'm fairly confident.

[Note: The following addresses CD players and DACs specifically, not USB vs Toslink vs DLNA streaming, which I'm not well read on but strongly suspect applies equally as well.]

When digital music for the consumer was first introduced in 1982 or so, it so blew away all existing analog mediums in every measurable performance way that the audiophile press felt obligated to find some new way to differentiate between individual CD players/ DACs using numbers, since all the current numbers (noise, distortion, frequency response, wow and flutter, hum, etc) showed the differences between them (16bit/44.1kHz ones) as being below the limits of human perception in all but a few rare instances (an early Philips, first generation CD player which only had effectively 14 bit resolution, was one example I recall), even if these new spec's number differences eventually were proved to be indistinguishable to the human ear, as well.

The things I remember they scrambled to come up with initially were Lissajous oscilloscope patterns (a graphical way to visualize the L-R content of a recording), low level linearity deviation, digital filter ringing, but eventually "jitter" became their favored "bogeyman".

It's true that at a very high level jitter can become an audible problem, however this would be rare in any competent CD player/DAC, even a very affordable design, and here's the kicker, it's pretty much pointless to measure it specifically because when it does become a problem it manifests itself quite obviously in a very common spec we've been measuring for decades, even before the introduction of CD, namely the "THD + noise" figure.

I can hear it now: "You're wrong. I can hear jitter on some devices even when the "THD + noise" figure is quite low."

Yeah, riiiiight.

post #833 of 2410 Old 03-28-2011, 12:52 PM

Thanks Guys. Does that mean you have tried streaming 5.1 flac and 5.1 wav files? Will it stream these surround files?
post #834 of 2410 Old 03-28-2011, 06:24 PM

Liked: 11
Hi guys, I've got an SR7005 since about 2 weeks and now that I've set the main zone I've beginning to check what I can do with Zone 2 and 3.

I would like to use Zone 2 for Netradio in my room and Zone 3 for Netradio in the backyard without using another or two other amps (with analog audio out).

So, in the manual they said to plug the speakers for Zone 2 AND 3 into the Surr. Back/Amp Assign terminal (4x). Is it possible to only use terminal to use Zone 2 and 3. I dont understand how you can only use 4 terminals to drive 2 independent pair of speakers.

This maybe a really newb questions but an answer would be very helpful.
Thanks.
post #835 of 2410 Old 03-29-2011, 03:52 AM

8000HD - Likewise - how does one connect speakers in another room? Fish speaker cables thru walls and under floors?
post #836 of 2410 Old 03-30-2011, 02:41 AM

Could someone please confirm what surround music formats ie 5.1Flac, 5.1 PCM.wav, or any others, can stream to this player via DLNA

Thanks
post #837 of 2410 Old 03-31-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:

Sorry, the answer is no. I wish it weren't that way.

In fact, if memory serves, even incoming AC3 audio such as 2.0 or 5.1 from the optical and coax digital jacks won't pass through to the optical out!

The optical out essentially works for incoming stereo PCM, such as a CD player signal or similar, only. { you may also have to assign it a source, I'm not sure}

Crap. This is quite possibly a deal breaker for me. Unless I can find a way to route both my PS3 and my 360's audio to both my receiver and my surround sound headsets (which takes an optical in) ...
post #838 of 2410 Old 04-01-2011, 03:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
i'm all set to get SR 7005 after reading very good reviews... but i read this concerning review where it says the "Hefty midrange is an issue"

Hefty midrange is an issue

"It's the midrange, and consequently the centre speaker, that proves most problematic.

There's an undeniable thickening of low-midrange/upper-bass frequency information, which stifles transparency and hampers dynamic subtleties.

This rather muscle-bound approach to dialogue spoils an otherwise well-judged tonal balance and impacts negatively on the overall agility of the sound.

Plus it leaves the SR7005 palpably more difficult to match to speakers than the best of its rivals."

What do the owners have to say about this...? Have they experienced this problem...?

link to the entire review...

http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Marantz-SR7005

Thanks,

Rana

a few funny stories from my life ------->http://www.kirtirana.blogspot.com
post #839 of 2410 Old 04-01-2011, 05:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

i think that is exceptional creative writing by the author of the review...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #840 of 2410 Old 04-01-2011, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

^Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post

"Plus it leaves the SR7005 palpably more difficult to match to speakers than the best of its rivals."[/i]

What do the owners have to say about this...? Have they experienced this problem...?

The reviewer is imagining things, I'm confident. Besides the possibility of his/her over active imagination in action, there are any number of things that could cause, *ahem*, "thickening of low-midrange/upper-bass frequency information" [note the striking similarity used here to the snooty, "I have better hearing than you" precision of another recent reviewer's observations regarding the "upper, lower midrange", post #813 ] including the speakers, their positioning, room acoustics, Audyssey processing including possible alterations of the EQ induced by user microphone placement averaging not in line with the actual listening position used, or the recording selected.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz , Marantz Sr7005 Audio Video Receiver Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page